2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, dima5222, Deltajockey, ejlamas, CyberGene, DigitalMusicProduc, 8 invisible), 400 guests, and 454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tablet/iPad for Sheet Music Recommendation Wanted
#2893686 09/24/19 11:53 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm in the market for a tablet/iPad to use exclusively for reading sheet music. Getting tired of dealing with physical page turns on my solo piano gigs not to mention fighting the wind at outdoor gigs with the band so I'm hoping this is a viable solution. I'm just looking for a recommendation for a decent brand/model to get and what accessories I would need (pedal for page turning, stand holders, etc.). I shouldn't say money is no object but this will be a tax write off anyway so bring on the most expensive options out there, lol. Although I don't think I need one of those $1800 iPads that hold a terabyte of memory as I've got about 12,000 charts on my desktop in PDFs that take about 26 GB of memory. Obviously I don't need that many stored in the device for gigs!

Re: Tablet/iPad for Sheet Music Recommendation Wanted
Polkahero #2893693 09/24/19 12:02 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well well. If it's a tax write-off, then consider a GVIDO!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2893702 09/24/19 12:16 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Looks very nice. I love e-ink(?), long battery life.. However, it has only 8GB storage for a $1800 device?

Polkahero #2893715 09/24/19 01:04 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm seeing some people use a stand like a plate holder with an iPad and the music desk removed, which is interesting.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Tyrone Slothrop #2893821 09/24/19 07:50 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I have read many, many negative reviews of the GVIDO. Just be aware is all. It still may be suitable for you.

[Linked Image]
Polkahero #2893948 09/25/19 04:57 AM
I love my iPad Pro. I don’t think I could get by with anything smaller.

TH
[Linked Image]
Polkahero #2894138 09/25/19 03:47 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm interested in going digital. So what setup do people use and why?

• iPad or other?
  • What size and why?
  • Amount of memory?
  • What score reader and why?
  • What accessories (e.g., stylus for marking up scores, bluetooth foot pedal for page turning, stand or holder, case, etc.)?
  • Anything else?

For instance I'm leaning toward an iPad Pro, the big one (12"?), as much memory as it can handle, ForScore, an Apple stylus, a bluetooth page turner (brand as yet to be determined), and a protective case. I figure if I get the big iPad, I can maybe use it with a bluetooth keyboard instead of my laptop, as well as using it at the piano.

August Förster 215
AaronSF #2894154 09/25/19 04:13 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF
For instance I'm leaning toward an iPad Pro, the big one (12"?), as much memory as it can handle, ForScore, an Apple stylus, a bluetooth page turner (brand as yet to be determined), and a protective case. I figure if I get the big iPad, I can maybe use it with a bluetooth keyboard instead of my laptop, as well as using it at the piano.

I use forScore with my iPad Pro (12.9"). I am so mad at the Apple Pencil 2 though. I've already lost 2 of them and am about to order a 3rd. They are just too expensive to lose, but the magnet which doubles as a charging dock is just not very strong. The Apple Pencil 2 easily comes off and becomes lost. I am now looking to print some sort of holder for the next one like this one but which can both clip to the side of the iPad Pro and also still allow the pencil to charge. It might be the first thing I try to design in Tinkercad to print.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Polkahero #2894179 09/25/19 05:15 PM
D
DSC Offline
D
I use Musicnotes with a 2nd Gen 12.9" iPad Pro with 64GB of storage. I like the large screen which matches the size of a printed page, and the fact that I can use a Bluetooth page turner. I built my own Bluetooth page turner using a Bluetooth number pad based on a youtube video for less than $20. This is probably my favorite feature, as it eliminates interruptions while playing multi-sheet pieces.

I started with Musicnote on a recommendation from a friend, but stick with it because of the integrated store available, along with the ability to import PDFs. I also find the MIDI playback feature useful to check to see if I'm playing the piece correctly (notewise and/or rhythmically). The iPad pencil is useful for marking the score, but I haven't been using it as much as I should, as my pencil isn't always charged when I want it!

It's great to be able to store all my music on one device, instead of having dozens of separate sheets and books. I can go anywhere, and have my sheet music with me, as the app also works on an iPhone.

Last edited by DSC; 09/25/19 05:22 PM.
Polkahero #2894184 09/25/19 05:29 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I bought the iPad Pro last year with the most GB available. I use it just for the piano and have tons of sheet music loaded in forScore and MusicNotes along with other music apps. I have the 10.5 inch and found it wasn’t quite big enough to easily read my music so I project the iPad onto a computer monitor. Works beautifully.

Sandy

Polkahero #2894203 09/25/19 06:13 PM
S
S
I use a 12.9" iPad Pro with forScore like Tyrone, but the Apple Pencil I use it the original one. The two problems I have with the Pencil are: 1) the battery drains down within a few weeks even when the Pencil is not used at all, and 2) when the Pencil needs charged there is a pop-up notification window that comes up on the screen, even though I have all Notifications turned off in Settings. So I try to remember to take the Pencil out of the case and leave it at home when I go to a recital, lest that cursed notification pops up in front of my music while I'm playing! Anyone know if there is some way to kill that Notification? I use the AirTurn Duo foot pedal for page turning. My iPad Pro has 256G of memory, but after two years or so I've only managed to fill up 10 percent of that, so I guess I didn't need to go that big on memory.

AaronSF #2894289 09/26/19 01:45 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF

I've been using all of the items on your wish-list for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier. The iPad Pro is the perfect size for sheet music; forScore is a well-designed and powerful program (with great support from the developers). The Apple pencil is essential for easy annotation on your scores, and once you get used to a bluetooth page turner you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. I use an earlier model AirTurn which came with 2 pedals - for simplicity I disconnected one pedal and it works perfectly. Oh - and I have a magnetic protective screen cover, too.

I'd say you're leaning in the right direction smile.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LX

My C3 - solace. And joy.
Polkahero #2894303 09/26/19 03:07 AM
I’d have to second MarieJ. What your wish list is, is nearly exactly what I have and I couldn’t be happier. I’d actually like ANOTHER iPad Pro as I also us MetaGrid with Logic Pro X macros onboard when I’m composing.

TH
[Linked Image]
Polkahero #2894474 09/26/19 12:52 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I've watched a couple of videos that feature an iPad Pro and forScore. Two questions which weren't immediately answered:

1) For those of us who have been so accustomed to looking at music two pages at a time, was there any adjustment period required to adapt to seeing only one page? This, of course, means twice as many page turns in a multiple-page score and a little less reading ahead ability.

2) One video suggested, but didn't really confirm, that with the iPad Pro one can photograph one's own music scores using the camera in the iPad. These are automatically downloaded and reproduced in pdf. format which seems to be the required format for forScore. Is this easily done? What is the resolution quality of such reproductions?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Polkahero #2894510 09/26/19 03:06 PM
A
A
Hi Bruce,

I normally use the 2-page mode in performances- it is a bit small but you can get used to it- especially if the piece is a familiar one and the score is there only as a reminder. Annotation doesn’t really work well in this mode though (I use forscore).

You can take pictures with your iPad - and it does work: however I tend to use my phone as it is smaller and easier to take pictures. My main complaint with both methods is that it is often difficult to keep the page flat-resulting in wavy staves in the scan.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2
Casio PX-870
Former owner of Petrof 131
PianoWorld Member/Lurker since 2002
BruceD #2894513 09/26/19 03:21 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
1) For those of us who have been so accustomed to looking at music two pages at a time, was there any adjustment period required to adapt to seeing only one page? This, of course, means twice as many page turns in a multiple-page score and a little less reading ahead ability.

BTW, Forscore supports two iPads at the same time using a helper app. If you have a 2nd, older iPad as many people do who don't give away their old iPads when upgrading, you can use this mode and have your two simultaneous pages.

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2894543 09/26/19 04:47 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

BTW, Forscore supports two iPads at the same time using a helper app. If you have a 2nd, older iPad as many people do who don't give away their old iPads when upgrading, you can use this mode and have your two simultaneous pages.

Thanks for the reply.

I see complications with that, however.

- iPad no. 1, on the left, is on page 40 of the score, iPad no. 2, on the right, is on page 41.
- To turn to view pages 43 and 44, one would have to swipe (tap) twice on each iPad to bring up the next two pages.

Perhaps it's just easier to get used to viewing a single page at a time on a single iPad, since I don't yet own an iPad.

Are there other solutions I am not imagining?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2894550 09/26/19 05:06 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reply.

I see complications with that, however.

- iPad no. 1, on the left, is on page 40 of the score, iPad no. 2, on the right, is on page 41.
- To turn to view pages 43 and 44, one would have to swipe (tap) twice on each iPad to bring up the next two pages.

Perhaps it's just easier to get used to viewing a single page at a time on a single iPad, since I don't yet own an iPad.

Are there other solutions I am not imagining?

Yes, the helper app links both iPads together so that one swipe will skip 2 pages (for example if iPad 1 is on page 40 and iPad 2 is on page 41, than a single swipe on iPad 1 will bring up pages 43 & 44 on the two iPads). That's why you need to run the help app also in addition to forScore. The helper app links forScore on both iPads together so they are synchonized and cooperating.

[Linked Image]

Polkahero #2894551 09/26/19 05:06 PM
S
S
Bruce - There is an add-on app that deals with that and turns two pages at a time.

For me the small visual read-ahead needed with page turns on a single iPad is similar enough to using hardcopy with page-turns that there was no real adjustment needed for that. The adjustment I did need was in learning to sync in foot movement for turning pages with my arm/hand/finger movements of playing the music.

Photographing the music was a pain for me at first because if the light source is from overhead, the iPad would cast a shadow on the music, and if the light source is from the side then the intensity of the light would be uneven across the page. Then I discovered that I could place the music on the floor in the light of a (preferably south-facing) window and that gives a good even light not affected by the iPad position. There is still the problem that 'almo82' mentioned of keeping the page flat -- scanning is better for that (but often frustrating to get the page content fully in-frame). The resolution achieved by photographing the music is not a problem -- the iPad pro has a very high resolution camera so the photo looks virtually as good as the original in that regard.

scriabinfanatic #2894565 09/26/19 05:46 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic
Photographing the music was a pain for me at first because if the light source is from overhead, the iPad would cast a shadow on the music, and if the light source is from the side then the intensity of the light would be uneven across the page. Then I discovered that I could place the music on the floor in the light of a (preferably south-facing) window and that gives a good even light not affected by the iPad position.
Good tip there - thanks! (substituting "north-facing" for "south-facing" as I'm down under smile )

Du holde Kunst...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,251
Posts3,030,341
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission