2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Many consider Cortot and Lipatti among the very greatest of pianists but I have never warmed up to their playing. If you feel they are very great can you explain why and/or link some recordings that might help change my mind?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/22/19 02:58 PM.
B
B
Cortot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qfupKVQ12Y (notice all those wrong notes wink )

Lipatti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5nREXB3ag (notice all those wrong notes wink )

If music be the food of love, play on!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think they both sound rather different from modern pianists. Is Cortot playing a Bechstein in that recording? It's a sound world that you hardly never hear today. I know it's an ancient recording, but there are many recordings from the same period that don't sound like that. He reminds me of Schnabel.

Lipatti always sounds beautiful to me. It's such a shame he missed the modern recording era by a few short years.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by bennevis
Cortot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qfupKVQ12Y (notice all those wrong notes wink )

Lipatti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5nREXB3ag (notice all those wrong notes wink )

But I thought I heard wonderful expressions! ... can not enough Bach (to loosen up the fingers) be the cause? :-)

R
R
Lipatti died at such a young age that it's hard to make a judgement. But his final recording is one of the greatest live recordings ever, for various and obvious reasons. If the recording engineer hadn't stopped recording and had included Lipatti's very last performed piece, then that would overall be THE greatest live recording in classical music.

R
R
Originally Posted by newport

But I thought I heard wonderful expressions! ... can not enough Bach (to loosen up the fingers) be the cause? :-)

No, I thinks it's probably the lack of a note-perfect "competition pianist" mindset, which seems to be a more (post?)modern development. Let's face it, there are quite a few people who attend recitals today only to hear if the performer is going to make a mistake. Maybe the recital is obsolete.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What I've always appreciated about Lipatti is the clarity of his interpretations. There are no affectations, no reading into the music what's not there. His few recordings are always like a tonic to me, and they leave me feeling refreshed...and more than a little chastised! It's a sort of purity in playing that one seldom hears.

August Förster 215
B
B
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7PNFDrcqmY

This is the last piece that Lipatti performed in public, substituting it for Chopin's Waltz Op.34/1 because he was too weak to play the latter. That recital in Besançon was recorded (and available on CD), but not the 'encore'.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
Let's face it, there are quite a few people who attend recitals today only to hear if the performer is going to make a mistake.

I've never met anyone with this attitude. Why would anyone be interested in such an exercise?

R
R
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Let's face it, there are quite a few people who attend recitals today only to hear if the performer is going to make a mistake.

I've never met anyone with this attitude. Why would anyone be interested in such an exercise?

For the same reason that some go to car races to see a crash. They're out there. I think it's one of the reasons Gould soured on live performances (although Gould admittedly was a quirky character).

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

For the same reason that some go to car races to see a crash. They're out there. I think it's one of the reasons Gould soured on live performances (although Gould admittedly was a quirky character).

Oh the armchair critics exist; go look at the negative comments and down-votes given on YouTube to virtuosic performances that are not note perfect .

Reminds me of an old joke: how many pianists does it take to perform a concerto
Answer: 100: one to play and 99 to point out they could have played it better.

Last edited by dogperson; 09/22/19 06:47 PM.
B
B
On the subject of wrong notes, while Cortot wasn't bothered by his, Lipatti was.

That was the reason why the Barcarolle I linked wasn't approved for commercial release by him during his lifetime - because it wasn't note-perfect.

R
R
On the subject of wrong notes, while Cortot wasn't bothered by his, Lipatti was.

That was the reason why the Barcarolle I linked wasn't approved for commercial release by him during his lifetime - because it wasn't note-perfect.

Well then we can't judge Lipatti on the basis of wrong notes in a recording that he didn't approve. After all that was probably the reason Horowitz wouldn't perform Chopin's first Op. 10 etude.

R
R
Originally Posted by dogperson

Oh the armchair critics exist; go look at the negative comments and down-votes given on YouTube to virtuosic performances that are not note perfect .

Reminds me of an old joke: how many pianists does it take to perform a concerto
Answer: 100: one to play and 99 to point out they could have played it better.

Exactly. grin And it gets even worse when it comes to violinists, cellists and guitarists.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I like the "glow," lyricism, and pacing that Cortot gets in his Schubert playing.

The Lipatti recording of Bach/Hess that bennevis posted is a treasure.

It is said that Federico Colli sounds a lot like Lipatti, though that may because they are both Italian. 😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
B
B
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

It is said that Federico Colli sounds a lot like Lipatti, though that may because they are both Italian. 😁

Lipatti was actually Romanian, and was born in Bucharest.

Incidentally, he's linked to Cortot in almost the same manner as Pogorelich is linked with Argerich smirk .

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Lipatti was actually Romanian, and was born in Bucharest.

Oops. That's right. Facts are slippery things. 😆

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
OP Online Content
I've listened to a lot of Colli because I think he's sensationally good especially in Mozart. I don't see any resemblance to Lipatti. Who said they sounded similar?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I've listened to a lot of Colli because I think he's sensationally good especially in Mozart. I don't see any resemblance to Lipatti. Who said they sounded similar?

Several critics or reviewers have compared him to Lipatti, Michelangeli, and Pollini. His playing does seem to have characterics of all three, which just means that Colli sounds like Colli!

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Several critics or reviewers have compared him to Lipatti, Michelangeli, and Pollini. His playing does seem to have characterics of all three, which just means that Colli sounds like Colli!

Here's a link to a short promotional blurb that does indeed compare Colli to Lipatti among others, so the idea most definitely is there. I hadn't really heard of Colli, being "out of the loop" in the piano world and preoccupied with other things musical for a while. I'll have to look for some of his recordings.

https://bit.ly/2l0j0D9

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission