Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, AWilley, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, Barly, 36251, 32 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Correct wrist position and CTS #2893113
09/22/19 02:19 PM
09/22/19 02:19 PM
Czech Republic
T
Tom97 Offline OP
Tom97  Offline OP
T

Czech Republic
I know that in order to prevent health issues such as CTS, one should play in a relaxed manner with wrists more or less aligned with the forearm (both vertically and horizontally).

However, my teacher insists that my wrist (the part that connects wrist with forearm) should be a little lower than the upper part of my wrist - I noticed that Josh Wright plays like this too in one of his videos.

I am attaching a picture of Josh playing. It is a video focused on beginner technique and the upper part of his wrist is a little higher than the part connecting to his forearm (hope I got that across).

Before I had a teacher, I tried to have my wrist and forearm completely aligned (even though I did not manage to do that all the time). So, which is the right way? According to my teacher, the position on the picture is the basic one for beginner pianists. Of course there are situations where this does not apply and the wrist position has to be adjusted. I just want to make sure it´s okay not to play with my wrist and forearm COMPLETELY aligned.

[img]https://ibb.co/kKzyztD[/img]

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Correct wrist position and CTS [Re: Tom97] #2893118
09/22/19 02:31 PM
09/22/19 02:31 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
People have different anatomy. There simply is not a one correct hand shape and one's hand may change it's shape a lot when playing different passages. For me the most natural and effortless way is to play the fingers down from the knuckle and keep the wrist straight (levelling my forearm, wrist and knuckles) as much as possible. This has prevented my carpal tunnel problems returning.

Re: Correct wrist position and CTS [Re: Tom97] #2893153
09/22/19 04:29 PM
09/22/19 04:29 PM
S
Sidokar Offline
Sidokar  Offline
S

It depends what you are playing and your own morphology (if you have higher torso, long arms, ....). It is like at the tennis; there is a theoretical movement and then every player has his own twist to it based on what works best for him. The position is different if the piece is using many black notes or only white, chords or scale runs, ..... Personally my rest position is more level than Josh but the knuckles are still slightly higher; again when I start playing the configuration changes all the time.

Re: Correct wrist position and CTS [Re: Tom97] #2893311
09/23/19 07:26 AM
09/23/19 07:26 AM
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Moscow, Russia
I had never heard of wrist alignment until I visited this forum.

The wrist must be relaxed and flexible, it must be moving all the time in all directions in order to allow fingers to play comfortably and in order to shape the phrases. I think you should only pay attention to how relaxed and helpful your wrist is when you play and forget about wrist alignment.

Re: Correct wrist position and CTS [Re: Tom97] #2893395
09/23/19 12:26 PM
09/23/19 12:26 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
I don't know how your wrist and forearm could alway be completely aligned in the way you describe without being rigid. Rigity can lead to injury. You need your wrists to be supple. There isn't a right or wrong height. The wrist should be mobile.

If your wrist is pointing outwards (towards the little finger side) for extended periods, you risk a cubital tunnel injury. This can happen if you are seated too close to the piano, or when playing with the left hand in the treble, and the right hand in the bass. You can usually compensate by moving your body. If you can't, look out for tension.

Last edited by johnstaf; 09/23/19 12:28 PM.
Re: Correct wrist position and CTS [Re: Tom97] #2893411
09/23/19 01:08 PM
09/23/19 01:08 PM
Oregon, USA
P
pagirl Offline
pagirl  Offline
P

Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Tom97
I know that in order to prevent health issues such as CTS, one should play in a relaxed manner with wrists more or less aligned with the forearm (both vertically and horizontally).

However, my teacher insists that my wrist (the part that connects wrist with forearm) should be a little lower than the upper part of my wrist - I noticed that Josh Wright plays like this too in one of his videos.

I am attaching a picture of Josh playing. It is a video focused on beginner technique and the upper part of his wrist is a little higher than the part connecting to his forearm (hope I got that across).

Before I had a teacher, I tried to have my wrist and forearm completely aligned (even though I did not manage to do that all the time). So, which is the right way? According to my teacher, the position on the picture is the basic one for beginner pianists. Of course there are situations where this does not apply and the wrist position has to be adjusted. I just want to make sure it´s okay not to play with my wrist and forearm COMPLETELY aligned.

Originally Posted by Tom97

Hi Tom, Right now I am dealing with wrist problems, and found a great answer to position and wrist tension. It is in the videos and supplementary material that are listed in the Adult Piano Adventures book. I purchased the app for the iPad for $4.95, and in it he has videos and explanations of wrist action while at the piano! There is a 3 minute demo after each lesson, on how to deal with wrist tension! I had it there all this time and didn’t even know it!!!

Casio Privia 160, Instramentals, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 9
Re: Correct wrist position and CTS [Re: Tom97] #2893634
09/24/19 09:18 AM
09/24/19 09:18 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
Have a look at this excerpt from a Taubman lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_v5VdEDrHs

I was taught by a Taubman teacher for a few years because I was having hand, arm and shoulder pain - it's much improved now after changing position (mainly raising the bench) and avoiding stretching and twisting.

The wrist position on Josh Wright's photo - my Taubman teacher would have me avoid!!

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
Remove swirl marks, polish gloss ebony finish?
by TurboMatt. 10/17/19 10:48 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,303
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission