Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (Alex Hutor, AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, AWilley, 604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, 24 invisible), 1,654 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano #2893020
09/22/19 10:43 AM
09/22/19 10:43 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
L
lopno Offline OP
Junior Member
lopno  Offline OP
Junior Member
L

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Need some suggestions on which DP out of the following seems like a good deal. I started taking piano classes for 5 month now, need a DP from the list below that will last me for a good solid 5-10years, don't care much about the extra features as I mostly use the piano sound, a dp with good key action and piano sound is enough.Also I don't mind if it portable or not since it's for home use. The prices below is currently the selling price with offers in my country. Also no kawai dp are sold here.Thnks
Roland FP-30(only piano) ……$885+$280 with stand n three pedal
Roland RP-102(only piano) ….$927
Yamaha P-125(only piano) ….$772+180$ with stand n three pedal
Yamaha YDP-144(with free bench) …..$1150
Casio AP-470(with free adjustable bench) …$1000
Casio Px-870(with free bench) …… $980
Korg C1 air(with free adjustable bench).... $1150

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893032
09/22/19 11:18 AM
09/22/19 11:18 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 7,046
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 7,046
Of these, definitely Roland FP30 with stand and 3 pedals.


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893062
09/22/19 12:40 PM
09/22/19 12:40 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5,018
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5,018
Georgia, USA
The Casio is a good deal in your market, and it definitely has better speakers than the Roland FP30.
Are you looking for a portable or a console?


Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893082
09/22/19 01:20 PM
09/22/19 01:20 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,447
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,447
Raleigh, North Carolina
I think Tyrone is right. The FP30 is a good choice.
The keyboard action on the P125 and YDP144 is not good. I'd eliminate those.
I can't speak to the Korg. I've never seen one.

How sensitive are you to the price?
If plus or minus $100 doesn't matter too much ... then judge primarily on touch and sound.

No matter which piano you choose you'll forget about the money spent quickly enough ... but you'll be living with the touch and sound for a long time.

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: terminaldegree] #2893089
09/22/19 01:37 PM
09/22/19 01:37 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
L
lopno Offline OP
Junior Member
lopno  Offline OP
Junior Member
L

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
The Casio is a good deal in your market, and it definitely has better speakers than the Roland FP30.
Are you looking for a portable or a console?

Nothing specific really, it's just for home use. And yes casio has better speakers but what about the touch as compared to the roland?

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: MacMacMac] #2893091
09/22/19 01:44 PM
09/22/19 01:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
L
lopno Offline OP
Junior Member
lopno  Offline OP
Junior Member
L

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I think Tyrone is right. The FP30 is a good choice.
The keyboard action on the P125 and YDP144 is not good. I'd eliminate those.
I can't speak to the Korg. I've never seen one.

How sensitive are you to the price?
If plus or minus $100 doesn't matter too much ... then judge primarily on touch and sound.

No matter which piano you choose you'll forget about the money spent quickly enough ... but you'll be living with the touch and sound for a long time.

And what's your thought on casio DPs tri sensor 2 action as compared to roland pha4 action?

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893182
09/22/19 06:23 PM
09/22/19 06:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 112
R
rmns2bseen Offline
Full Member
rmns2bseen  Offline
Full Member
R

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 112
From that list, I'd suggest either the Yamaha YDP-144 or one of the Casios. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three at that price point.

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893193
09/22/19 06:46 PM
09/22/19 06:46 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 828
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 828
Sheffield, UK
I don’t think any of those can take you through to 5 to 10 years playing, if for example you are taking lessons and making steady progress. Five years would be the maximum and I think 4 years more realistic.

I suspect Tyrone is right and the Roland FP 30 action is the best choice. But whether the FP 30 works for you depends on whether you like the Roland sound and whether you mostly play with headphones or not.


Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: KevinM] #2893196
09/22/19 06:52 PM
09/22/19 06:52 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 112
R
rmns2bseen Offline
Full Member
rmns2bseen  Offline
Full Member
R

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by KevinM
I don’t think any of those can take you through to 5 to 10 years playing, if for example you are taking lessons and making steady progress. Five years would be the maximum and I think 4 years more realistic.
...

I think longevity is going to be iffy at whatever price when it comes to a digital. I wouldn't buy an N1X either expecting to be playing it 10 years from now.

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893198
09/22/19 06:58 PM
09/22/19 06:58 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,447
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,447
Raleigh, North Carolina
I think you can go very wrong with the 144. It has the crappy GHS action.
I don't know what the other choices are like, so I can't compare. Perhaps they're crappy too? I just don't know.
But I do know the GHS. I'd save up some money, however long it takes, and get a piano with a better action than that.

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: MacMacMac] #2893203
09/22/19 07:06 PM
09/22/19 07:06 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 112
R
rmns2bseen Offline
Full Member
rmns2bseen  Offline
Full Member
R

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I think you can go very wrong with the 144. It has the crappy GHS action.
I don't know what the other choices are like, so I can't compare. Perhaps they're crappy too? I just don't know.
But I do know the GHS. I'd save up some money, however long it takes, and get a piano with a better action than that.

I said "at that price point". Heck, I'd save up and buy a Yamaha baby grand. If I could. grin

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893208
09/22/19 07:22 PM
09/22/19 07:22 PM
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
London UK
T
Tmax100 Offline
Junior Member
Tmax100  Offline
Junior Member
T

Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
London UK
Are those prices from a retail store ???

I got my son a FP30 bundled with stand etc - online in UK was around £600 (no pedals)

Have you looked online ? - it is all just a box moving exercise for retailers

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2893238
09/22/19 10:40 PM
09/22/19 10:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,678
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,678
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Of these, definitely Roland FP30 with stand and 3 pedals.

Also include the Roland RP102 which is the furniture version of the Roland FP30. The main selling points of the RP102 is the extra desk space AND a sliding lid for the keys.


We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: Groove On] #2893260
09/23/19 12:39 AM
09/23/19 12:39 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5,018
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
5000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 5,018
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Groove On

Also include the Roland RP102 which is the furniture version of the Roland FP30. The main selling points of the RP102 is the extra desk space AND a sliding lid for the keys.


True, though the 102 has less going on in the amplifier/speaker department, compared to the FP-30.


Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: Tmax100] #2893264
09/23/19 01:06 AM
09/23/19 01:06 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
L
lopno Offline OP
Junior Member
lopno  Offline OP
Junior Member
L

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Tmax100
Are those prices from a retail store ???

I got my son a FP30 bundled with stand etc - online in UK was around £600 (no pedals)

Have you looked online ? - it is all just a box moving exercise for retailers

$885 is the cheapest online price for fp30 (only piano) . In retail store it goes for around 1000$(only Piano) here in my country 😢

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893290
09/23/19 04:25 AM
09/23/19 04:25 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,460
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Doug M.  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,460
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by lopno
Need some suggestions on which DP out of the following seems like a good deal. I started taking piano classes for 5 month now, need a DP from the list below that will last me for a good solid 5-10years, don't care much about the extra features as I mostly use the piano sound, a dp with good key action and piano sound is enough.Also I don't mind if it portable or not since it's for home use. The prices below is currently the selling price with offers in my country. Also no kawai dp are sold here.Thnks
Roland FP-30(only piano) ……$885+$280 with stand n three pedal
Roland RP-102(only piano) ….$927
Yamaha P-125(only piano) ….$772+180$ with stand n three pedal
Yamaha YDP-144(with free bench) …..$1150
Casio AP-470(with free adjustable bench) …$1000
Casio Px-870(with free bench) …… $980
Korg C1 air(with free adjustable bench).... $1150


Hi Iopno,

I would vote for:
New: Roland FP30 or Kawai ES110 or Yamaha P125
Used: Kawai ES7.

The used Kawai would be my choice: it is always better if you can get a 1-3 year old used intermediate level piano at the price of a new beginner level piano---the difference in piano action is night-and-day.

Also, the moment you buy a new beginner piano, it's value instantly drops several hundred dollars. In many ways, if you can get a used beginner piano, you would be saving yourself maybe $300. You won't want to keep a beginner piano for more than a couple of years anyway if you find you wish to continue with piano.

Kind regards,

Doug.


Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893555
09/23/19 10:40 PM
09/23/19 10:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 15,599
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 15,599
Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by lopno
no kawai dp are sold here.


May I ask where you are based, please?

Given your budget, I believe the Kawai KDP110 would be a strong contender.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: Kawai James] #2893561
09/23/19 11:26 PM
09/23/19 11:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
L
lopno Offline OP
Junior Member
lopno  Offline OP
Junior Member
L

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by lopno
no kawai dp are sold here.


May I ask where you are based, please?

Given your budget, I believe the Kawai KDP110 would be a strong contender.

Kind regards,
James
x

I'm from India, n i just found out kawai dp are sold thought a certain website, here's are the prices for it
Kawai es110....780$
Kawai kdp 70....$1000
Kawai kdp110.... $1350

Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: lopno] #2893565
09/23/19 11:32 PM
09/23/19 11:32 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 7,046
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 7,046
Originally Posted by lopno
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by lopno
no kawai dp are sold here.


May I ask where you are based, please?

Given your budget, I believe the Kawai KDP110 would be a strong contender.

Kind regards,
James
x

I'm from India, n i just found out kawai dp are sold thought a certain website, here's are the prices for it
Kawai es110....780$
Kawai kdp 70....$1000
Kawai kdp110.... $1350

Will you be playing a lot of ragas? If so, you'll need to check what happens when/if you hold the sustain pedal for a long time on all the pianos being considered.


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Need suggestion on buying my first Digital Piano [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2893611
09/24/19 07:49 AM
09/24/19 07:49 AM
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
L
lopno Offline OP
Junior Member
lopno  Offline OP
Junior Member
L

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Will you be playing a lot of ragas? If so, you'll need to check what happens when/if you hold the sustain pedal for a long time on all the pianos being considered.

No, mostly western classical and sometimes pop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist wants to learn “touch-up” tuning
by Coda9. 10/17/19 07:17 PM
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,316
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1