Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
119 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, AWilley, 604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, AndrewJCW, Barly, 36251, 28 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Had Stroke - changing direction #2892843
09/21/19 08:58 PM
09/21/19 08:58 PM
O
oneilt130 Online content OP

oneilt130  Online Content OP

O

Recently I had a stroke and just got back home yesterday from a 37 day stay in the hospital / recovery unit. Fortunately, they did have some pianos at the hospital that I was able to try out during recovery. I posted info about that in the digital piano forum.

A few quick thoughts on the stroke is that it did not affect cognition, speech or involve paralysis. The primary areas affected are the left side balance, basically I will fall left and there in no instinct to try to catch myself. I just fall right over. That and the left hand coordination is also off quite a bit. This is where playing the piano at the hospital helped. The first attempt at the left hand of a piece was a mess, after the second or third day it started to get better and come back. So there is hope that with enough therapy and work most of what I lost should come back though it’s going to take months.

This is where the piano comes in. Up to now I have been focused on classical currently working my way through Clementi. Now I want to change directions a bit and add in something more contemporary. Basically, I want to learn to play music like these two YouTube videos. In the one playing Where are you Christmas there is a lot of improvisation. That’s the type of stuff I would like to learn how to do.

My entire background both playing as a kid for 6-7 years and for the last year as a adult returning player has been classical with almost no knowledge of music theory. I currently don’t have a teacher and with my current situation I don’t see a teacher in my future. Any suggestions on where to get started on this new piano journey would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yamaha NU1X
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2892854
09/21/19 09:25 PM
09/21/19 09:25 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Moo :)  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Sorry to hear about your stroke. Hope you recover quickly from it. Your videos seem relatively advanced jazz pieces so without a teacher I am not sure how you will play like that. Maybe find a structures beginners course that may teach jazz pieces ? There is a exam board that do jazz piano exams and the second piece you selected was a grade 3 piece. I have found it but have not got the score. From what I remembered these scores have the first page you had the tune. The second page you had the chords with no tune and then had to improvise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4BTijdQQE

Last edited by Moo :); 09/21/19 09:30 PM.
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2892857
09/21/19 09:35 PM
09/21/19 09:35 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
To get you started playing without reading from a score ….

This is the best system I know of to get you started ….

http://www.pianostar.com/system.php

It is not cheap but it is absolutely well done and it will work for you.

Good Luck to you

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2892935
09/22/19 07:04 AM
09/22/19 07:04 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Perhaps free improvisation, not necessarily in classical or jazz idiom, but just playing sounds you like would help. When I had a dystonia I found I could still improvise even though my repertoire took four years to come right. It made all the difference to my enjoyment of playing. With something like that, giving yourself constant positive reinforcement is half the battle.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2893031
09/22/19 11:15 AM
09/22/19 11:15 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
I used piano to help with neurological and brain trauma from a car accident. I, too, lost some functionality in my left hand, and my brain would have these "hiccups" where my hands would just stop in spite of my conscious mind knowing what should come next.

Believe it or not, I used Hanon to help myself retain focus. And I played Bach because I found his music to be the most integrated with LH/RH coordination.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I do believe that piano helped me tremendously at this time. I hope you can continue your progress to recovery!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2893111
09/22/19 02:18 PM
09/22/19 02:18 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
I had a stroke a year and a half ago and the piano has been invaluable to help me rebuild some of those lost connections in my brain, and also is where I can lose myself when I start to have anxiety which I've battled with since my stroke. I'm glad you've found it to be great therapy as well!

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2893808
09/24/19 08:14 PM
09/24/19 08:14 PM
Fort Frances, On Canada
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member
BeccaBb  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fort Frances, On Canada
I had a stroke almost three years ago and it affected my cognitive functions and memory quite badly. I'm just starting back at piano now with a teacher to relearn and keep learning. It's a huge therapy step for me both for my brain and my body. (My physiotherapist is all for this.) I also have a focus issue but am kinda hoping it just improves as I practice. LOL Baby steps man, baby steps.

I can't help at all with what direction your going in, but your definitely not alone. smile Nice to meet all of you fellow stroke warriors. laugh

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2894032
09/25/19 10:15 AM
09/25/19 10:15 AM
O

O

Many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and responses. I agree that getting to play like the videos I posted will be a long term goal. At this point I am just looking to get started in that direction. Looking at the suggestions provided I think I am going to pursue the Kent Hewitt videos for now. I watched the first 2 on jazz chords and the logic and structure behind them I find very interesting. It's a bit overwhelming but at the same time much more interesting to use as therapy that repeatedly picking up and setting down beads in exerciser putty. (I am still doing the therapist recommended exercises but augmenting them with the piano.)

Thanks again for the suggestions and well wishes. My short term goal is to post a jazz piece in the recital after the next one.

Tom

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2894275
09/26/19 12:58 AM
09/26/19 12:58 AM
N
navindra Online content
navindra  Online Content
N

May I ask why you discount the possibility of having a teacher? It seems that, more than ever, it would be invaluable to have a teacher sitting by you and guiding you in your progress and practice.

Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: navindra] #2894368
09/26/19 08:21 AM
09/26/19 08:21 AM
O

O

Originally Posted by navindra
May I ask why you discount the possibility of having a teacher? It seems that, more than ever, it would be invaluable to have a teacher sitting by you and guiding you in your progress and practice.

I don't disagree that a teacher would be helpful but at this point I am home-bound unable to drive and most likely wont be able to drive again for a few months. Add into that my schedule is inconsistent along with how I feel on any given day makes committing to a set time for a lesson all but impossible. I live in a small town where there are few options most of which require a commitment to a set number of lessons with limited rescheduling options. Probably the only viable choice would be a on demand Internet lesson but from what I have read most teachers prefer a set schedule.

For now I just need a set plan to organize a practice / therapy schedule. Playing the piano definitely beats sorting beads into a cup. smile From the few online beginner Jazz lessons I have viewed I have enough to keep me going for the next few months. The current plan is to learn the 12 jazz scales and chords along with the inversions and be able to play those on demand without much effort. Similar to learning scales and arpeggios for classical music.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2894395
09/26/19 09:23 AM
09/26/19 09:23 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
There seems to be a collection of us on here, who have had a stroke. That returning or starting with the piano is a choice we have made to be part of therapy to get better or/and to help look after ourselves in the longer term. I do believe it is a good choice, it is both physical and mental and it is the joining of the two that is most beneficial I think.

I really believe oneilt130 is doing exactly the right thing, and we each have to explore for ourselves how we approach learning to play. The goal is not to reach a destination of playing well but the trip we take. Hopefully playing well is a happy side effect.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: KevinM] #2894397
09/26/19 09:35 AM
09/26/19 09:35 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by KevinM
There seems to be a collection of us on here, who have had a stroke. That returning or starting with the piano is a choice we have made to be part of therapy to get better or/and to help look after ourselves in the longer term. I do believe it is a good choice, it is both physical and mental and it is the joining of the two that is most beneficial I think.

I really believe oneilt130 is doing exactly the right thing, and we each have to explore for ourselves how we approach learning to play. The goal is not to reach a destination of playing well but the trip we take. Hopefully playing well is a happy side effect.

Well said. Playing well is only one goal for piano. Of course it is a default goal if one has no other goal. But other goals are to have fun, to amaze our friends and family (only half joking - most of those sorts live on Reddit's r/piano subreddit smirk ), rehabilitation, and #dementiaprevention. This is making me think because I sometimes ask absolute beginners who want to start learning piano, "what do you want to play?" The real question which is more important than this is probably, "why do you want to learn?"

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: KevinM] #2894427
09/26/19 11:04 AM
09/26/19 11:04 AM
O

O

Originally Posted by KevinM

It is interesting and inspiring to hear from other stroke patients here that are using piano as part of their therapy. Even before the stroke my playing the piano was more about the journey than the destination. I just enjoy sitting down at the piano and playing it.

As an aside in my brief journey into Jazz piano I am finding the music theory fascinating. It seems a bit overwhelming but it also appeals to the programmer side of my brain. I never new so much was going on.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2894440
09/26/19 12:01 PM
09/26/19 12:01 PM
T
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline
T

No stroke here. But my father had a bad one in the 80s just as I landed a project in the hospital. I was around a lot of stroke patients and ate lunch with them every day. I assume the treatments are even better now but I saw some amazing recoveries...

I ask myself, fairly regularly, why I keep playing piano when it's so hard for me. Well, all I come up consistently is I'm 62, no longer wanted (it's pretty much mutual) as a software developer, and I need something to keep my brain engaged. This does it for me. It's seems a lot harder than it needs to be but the notation and the keyboard aren't going to change for me. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to back this up but I've sure seen people start to decline mentally once they leave their job or business behind. So it's 20-60 minutes a day for me and learning to accept very slow progress. It is great to finally play something that looked impossible in the beginning.

Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2894570
09/26/19 07:08 PM
09/26/19 07:08 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Jus' wondering if you don't mind too much. My brother's had a stroke too; he believed in keeping active, which he did but it still happened. Dad did too, when he was late 70s and he kept active. The q. is - how many of you here regularly monitored your BP before this event happened?
Hope you don't mind me asking! Cheeky, aren't I?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: peterws] #2894576
09/26/19 07:26 PM
09/26/19 07:26 PM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by peterws
Jus' wondering if you don't mind too much. My brother's had a stroke too; he believed in keeping active, which he did but it still happened. Dad did too, when he was late 70s and he kept active. The q. is - how many of you here regularly monitored your BP before this event happened?

Not just BP, but - especially if you're above a certain age - is your heart beating regularly?

(Check out atrial fibrillation in relation to stroke).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: peterws] #2894589
09/26/19 07:56 PM
09/26/19 07:56 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Online content
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by peterws
Hope you don't mind me asking! Cheeky, aren't I?

Mine was due to a previously unknown heart defect, the stars aligned (dirty enough blood worked its way through up to my brain after 48 years) and I found out about it, hard. I had no arrhythmia or BP issues prior. Sometimes [censored] just happens frown On the plus side, the defect has been successfully repaired and my stroke risk is below what the scale can measure.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: oneilt130] #2894657
09/26/19 11:36 PM
09/26/19 11:36 PM
Fort Frances, On Canada
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member
BeccaBb  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fort Frances, On Canada
I had a brain tumour that was in the worst spot he could have been. ( I named him Harold. He gets called bad names. laugh ) I had a stroke during the surgery. It happens. I just happened to survive it. smile Bp, has been low my whole life( regularly monitored since my teens, I'm in my 40's.) Family history of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. We've kept a close eye on it for almost 2 decades now. None of those things were a factor. Where my brain tumour was, was the factor.

It's very encouraging that so many of us have chosen this route to help ourselves and love the journey at the same time. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: BeccaBb] #2894660
09/26/19 11:47 PM
09/26/19 11:47 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by BeccaBb
I had a brain tumour that was in the worst spot he could have been. ( I named him Harold. He gets called bad names. laugh ) I had a stroke during the surgery. It happens. I just happened to survive it. smile Bp, has been low my whole life( regularly monitored since my teens, I'm in my 40's.) Family history of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. We've kept a close eye on it for almost 2 decades now. None of those things were a factor. Where my brain tumour was, was the factor.

It's very encouraging that so many of us have chosen this route to help ourselves and love the journey at the same time. smile

Wow. You are on your "Bonus Wave"! Congrats on beating it and may you rack up lots of points in this stage of your life. thumb

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Had Stroke - changing direction [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2894664
09/26/19 11:58 PM
09/26/19 11:58 PM
Fort Frances, On Canada
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member
BeccaBb  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fort Frances, On Canada
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Wow. You are on your "Bonus Wave"! Congrats on beating it and may you rack up lots of points in this stage of your life. thumb

Darn tooting! laugh Thanks lol

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist wants to learn “touch-up” tuning
by Coda9. 10/17/19 07:17 PM
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,316
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission