Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, AWilley, 604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, Barly, 27 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to present yourself.... #2892108
09/19/19 06:48 PM
09/19/19 06:48 PM
Minto, NB Canada
Duaner Online content OP
Duaner  Online Content OP

Minto, NB Canada
I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to present myself in the best light when I meet my customer for the first time (or the fifth time for that matter). I think they have to feel safe with you and also maybe see you are more than competent to handle the job at hand. Perhaps the way you dress might be a factor and also that you are not phoney. Things like that I suppose.

Anyway, so my question to you all is: "....what are the positive ways to a customer's heart?" What have you found that presents the best side of "YOU" for that hour or two you are in your customer's presence?

Last edited by Duaner; 09/19/19 06:50 PM.

Duane Graves
www.pianotuningfredericton.com

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad 800)
PTG Journals
PTG Journal
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892160
09/19/19 10:47 PM
09/19/19 10:47 PM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Online content
2000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
Duane,

Dress in a professional manner

Wipe your feet or remove your shoes (wear good socks)

Be polite, courteous and fully honest

Don't promise more than you can deliver

Don't do too many free things. Professionals get paid for their time and expertise. One freebie per visit is okay (maybe)

Do a VERY good job

If ever there is a problem be quick to address it (even if you have to go out of your way to do so)

If you make a mistake, admit it and fix it

My .02

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892161
09/19/19 10:48 PM
09/19/19 10:48 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rick_Parks  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Maine, USA
Attitude:
Display professional self-assurance, but NOT arrogance (knowing the difference is a huge problem for some)… I knew a tuner who, upon entering a new client’s home, began to inform the person about all that he saw them having done wrong with the instrument (from position in room to multiple other problems), and that if they did not resolve it, he would not be coming back to tune for them again. I am sure he felt he was covering himself- so as not to have call-backs blaming him for a bad tuning that went out so fast. But, this was A VERY POOR decision in approach, to say the least!
Kindness, a quiet-nature, with a humble-attitude about ones-self ("let another praise you, and not thyself"-- they will if you are good at your work)- these characteristics go a looooong way in naturally making good impressions (and for good reason).

Take yourself (and your profession) SERIOUSLY:
I generally wear a nice clean, crisp white long-sleeve dress shirt (button that top button) with black dockers, and nice shoes. Yet however to actually bring myself to the point of a tie (but, that might lend to respect even more so???).
Oh, and either KEEP the mug shaved, or grow that stubble into a neatly maintained beard!
Don't go out looking like a San Francisco street bum, or worst yet--- a piano mover! laugh he-he
Just teasing you all out there-- as I move pianos too.

Be IMFORMATIVE:
Be up-front (but not unkindly blunt about what the client's instrument may need — don’t call it “junk”!--- at least not right away, until you know whether it was their great-grandmother's or not wink
Informative does not mean trying to sell them a bunch of work. I never try to sell the client something that is not of an absolute necessity to them (regulation work, restoration, climate-controls, what-have-you)… Sales pushiness, or even multiple sales-pitches are derfinitely a sure way to get a bad impression brewing. So, just simple, honest, up-front, informative.
One of the biggest things in being informative is being able to draw the client into being involved in the instrument’s care and maintenance— show them the problems in a way they can see what is happening, explaining and informing in a way that clients will be able to see and understand (clear and concise--- not necessarily in our tech language). One needs to be able to explain (without the long-windedness and technical language) what the problem is and what the options are that are available. I usually list the options from cheapest to most expensive.

Oh, and don't be overly outgoing:
You're there to provide a professional service, not a hired companionship smile
Many times if the tuner starts trying to chat-it-up with their client, the client will feel required (out of politeness) to hear it out and add to the chat too. This is a bad idea, as it wastes a lot of time— and to no one’s enjoyment, except perhaps an oblivious tuner that is. Let the client(s) start any chatty atmosphere, if there is to be one. IOW give the client the lead there. Don’t get me wrong on this though--- many is the time I have spent more than an hour chatting with clients who were very kind, and have gone on to developed an enjoyable close professional relationships with them (but, everything should be in its time and place- not forced).

Anyway, others will add to all of this I’m sure—if not disagree LOL
I need to get off to sleep.
Night!

Parks and Sons Piano Service
www.parksandsonspiano.com
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892162
09/19/19 10:51 PM
09/19/19 10:51 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rick_Parks  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Maine, USA
LOL Peter. Sheesh, you said all I said in 50 words! :P
Yet you only beat me by 1 minute------ you must be slow at typing wink

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892237
09/20/19 07:44 AM
09/20/19 07:44 AM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Online content
2000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
Rick, yes...one finger typing does go pretty slow...and then I also have to fight with the autocorrect that changes things beyond just spelling errors. ☺

Duane,

Another thing (unless I missed it)...your first impression begins one the phone or text or email (however you initially interact with the client. That too should be dignified.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892239
09/20/19 08:16 AM
09/20/19 08:16 AM
Haverhill, MA
G
Gerry Johnston Offline
Gerry Johnston  Offline
G

Haverhill, MA
Pat the dog if it's friendly, smile at the kids.

Gerry Johnston, Registered Piano Technician
Haverhill, MA
(978) 372-2250
www.gjpianotuner.com
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892242
09/20/19 08:37 AM
09/20/19 08:37 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
From a client’s perspective:

return your phone calls/texts in a timely manner. If it takes you three calls to return the call, you are on the edge of losing a client. Be on time or call if you will be late.

Be informative: when I told my tech that I wanted to understand more, he cheerfully and concisely explained and continues to explain/show. I will never tune my own piano...... but I want to understand how it works, just like you would like your physician to explain.

Don’t be afraid to make recommendations in a non-judgemental way. We are paying for your expertise. I do agree to choose the timing: when you first walk in the door would not be best. Explain as ‘what would be best for your piano is..,,’ not what the client has done wrong.

Clothing: I don’t expect a white button down shirt but just decent jeans and a decent shirt. That's just me.

One thing that really impressed me about my tech the first time he tuned my new-to-me grand: we agreed he would clean it for xxx money. When we opened the lid and removed the action, we both saw it was beyond the standard dirt. He never said ‘oh, I’ll need to raise my price’ as soon as he saw it. He never complained. We cleaned (yes, I helped) and I voluntarily paid him the equivalent of two cleanings. I really appreciated that he didn’t complain and demand more money.

I’ve never had a problem where there was an identified problem after service. If I did, I would expect my tech to really listen and treat my concern with respect. Yes, make the call-back appt a priority in scheduling.

Love my tech and I have referred several clients to him.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892256
09/20/19 09:19 AM
09/20/19 09:19 AM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
You could make audio and video recordings of yourself to find out what you sound and look like to your customers. Hearing your own voice on a tape recorder or seeing your own facial expressions will likely be surprising, but that's what the customer hears and sees. You could videotape yourself at home while you're on the phone to not only hear how you sound, but what your facial expressions communicate. Most smartphones make it easy to record your voice during a conversation without recording the other person. If you want to pursue it, find an acting coach to help you get the outside of your body in synch with the inside. Normally they teach people how to pretend they're something they're not, but they're just as good at helping you communicate what you really are.

You could also get an idea how you come across to other people by having a good friend read a couple dozen of your posts here on the forum. Everyone has a meltdown once in awhile, but if they say you tend to sound angry or arrogant or whatever, it's likely your customers are hearing some of that too.

Last edited by MarkL; 09/20/19 09:20 AM.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Gerry Johnston] #2892301
09/20/19 11:04 AM
09/20/19 11:04 AM
New Hampshire
P
P W Grey Online content
2000 Post Club Member
P W Grey  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
P

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Gerry Johnston
Pat the dog if it's friendly, smile at the kids.

And in this day and age (I should not need to be explicit) do NOT get TOO friendly with the kid(s). Be kind, answer a question or two, but then get back to work, even if the child persists in wanting to know more, you need to retain a professional "barrier" here so that no "wrong impressions" are created.

And...NEVER...EVER allow a child to sit on the bench next to you (even if the parent permits). Hopefully, no further explanation need be given here. If the situation becomes uncomfortable do your work standing up, or make some excuse as to why you need to have the whole bench available.

It is also useful to remember that the possibility exists that all your actions are being recorded. A reality we face today.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892303
09/20/19 11:06 AM
09/20/19 11:06 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
H

Stable unisons that won't go out of tune, action that works well and sticky notes voiced, might ensure your next appointment.

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Rick_Parks] #2892308
09/20/19 11:43 AM
09/20/19 11:43 AM
Champaign, Ill., Tacoma, Wash.
M
mha9 Offline
mha9  Offline
M

Champaign, Ill., Tacoma, Wash.
Just wondering if there's something distinctive about the "street bums" from San Francisco, as opposed to those from other cities and towns.

1932 Mason & Hamlin A9
1877 Blüthner 185 cm Patent Aliquot grand
1883 Henry F. Miller pedal upright
Edward L. Kottick double-fretted clavichord
Lyndon Taylor double-fretted clavichord

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: mha9] #2892326
09/20/19 12:29 PM
09/20/19 12:29 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by mha9
Just wondering if there's something distinctive about the "street bums" from San Francisco, as opposed to those from other cities and towns.

If I had a tech or teacher who asked such an off-the- wall question in the middle of another conversation, I would be concerned and would be looking for a replacement.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: mha9] #2892330
09/20/19 12:43 PM
09/20/19 12:43 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rick_Parks  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Maine, USA

Not to drift away from topic--- but, YES.
From the things I'm seeing out of SF I would say they probably take the prize (shooting it up and leaving needles everywhere...defecating in the streets...Need I say more?). I don't remember any street bums from Boston or DC or Baltimore doing this....But, then it's been a while since I was in those cities--- perhaps things changed LOL I think we have the classy ones out here on the east coast-- so, it would not have fit to say 'street bums from Boston'!
Shall I start a new thread on street bums? wink

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: mha9] #2892380
09/20/19 03:12 PM
09/20/19 03:12 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
About 35 years ago, I was working at a show in San Francisco, and after I finished tuning, someone who looked like a street person wandered onto the stage. I was not security, so I figured he might have been someone working at the show, and if he were not, someone else could take care of it. Then he began singing some Bach counterpoint. The guy's name was McFerrin. Perhaps you have heard of him.

It is very important not to make assumptions when you are working. Even assumptions about cities. More often than not, they turn out to be unwarranted.

Semipro Tech
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892400
09/20/19 04:15 PM
09/20/19 04:15 PM
Scotland
D
David Boyce Online content
Gold Subscriber
David Boyce  Online Content
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
D

Scotland
Fantastic!

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2892500
09/20/19 10:54 PM
09/20/19 10:54 PM
KZ, Uralsk
Maximillyan Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Maximillyan  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

KZ, Uralsk
Originally Posted by Duaner
I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to present myself in the best light when I meet my customer for the first time (or the fifth time for that matter). I think they have to feel safe with you and also maybe see you are more than competent to handle the job at hand. Perhaps the way you dress might be a factor and also that you are not phoney. Things like that I suppose.

Anyway, so my question to you all is: "....what are the positive ways to a customer's heart?" What have you found that presents the best side of "YOU" for that hour or two you are in your customer's presence?

gipsy radio is the best variant for all times, i'm think

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: BDB] #2892991
09/22/19 09:26 AM
09/22/19 09:26 AM
Omaha, NE
A
adamp88 Offline
adamp88  Offline
A

Omaha, NE
Originally Posted by BDB
About 35 years ago, I was working at a show in San Francisco, and after I finished tuning, someone who looked like a street person wandered onto the stage. I was not security, so I figured he might have been someone working at the show, and if he were not, someone else could take care of it. Then he began singing some Bach counterpoint. The guy's name was McFerrin. Perhaps you have heard of him.

It is very important not to make assumptions when you are working. Even assumptions about cities. More often than not, they turn out to be unwarranted.

Well said.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: BDB] #2893223
09/22/19 08:54 PM
09/22/19 08:54 PM
Maine, USA
R
Rick_Parks Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rick_Parks  Offline
500 Post Club Member
R

Maine, USA
Originally Posted by BDB

A person who is a professional should not be dressing in a manner that causes people to question them... That would not be a professional thing to do.
Why try to be the cause of people thinking poor thoughts of you?
It's different if you cannot afford the nicer clothing for appearance of course--- but then, I don't know of anyone accomplished in our trade (enough to be recognized as a tuner-tech) who cannot afford a proper attire to work in.

Besides, I do not know of anywhere that I made an assumption about any particular city. I simply stated facts of current day status and conditions in SF.

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: mha9] #2893308
09/23/19 06:53 AM
09/23/19 06:53 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin

In SF they're probably more likely to be confused with tech billionaires.

Re: How to present yourself.... [Re: Duaner] #2893352
09/23/19 10:21 AM
09/23/19 10:21 AM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
The homeless person my wife brought home for breakfast yesterday was dressed at least as well as the San Francisco society matron I met at the open house for the theater that she restored. You never can tell.

Semipro Tech
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist wants to learn “touch-up” tuning
by Coda9. 10/17/19 07:17 PM
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,316
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission