2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2891374 09/17/19 02:39 PM
B
brogh Offline OP
OP Offline
B
weeeeeeelllll this went down fast .... faster than i tought....... :P

in the end, i was going back and forth in trying to find out a cheap way to tame my mp11se desire ... one thing pulled the other i got a good deal from the shop so i just arrived at home with a nice big cardboard box smile

i don't even know where to start .. oh yeah .. it's heavyyyyy smile still have to pull it out have to catch some breath as it wasn't that easy to move it alone., but i'm a big boy so it arrived home safe in the unopened box, now getting it on the stand later will be another story smile

I'll upload some pictures later, can't wait to put my hands on it smile

Cheers !

Congrats!

Mine remains greater than I imagined-

cheers,

Jack

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Kawai CA701 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
So many congratulations. I love mine. It is just so good. We are club MP11SE. Do we allow in the MP11?

Just joking. I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, and I am still in awe.

And damn, it really is heavy. My space is my attic room on the second floor and there is no way I could have carried it there unboxed, but I failed on my first attempt getting it there in its box. I opened the box up, pulled out everything except the styrofoam and the MP11SE, resealed the box, 5kg lights. It seems I can get a 40kg box up two flights of stairs but not a 45kg.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
And the fun begins! smile

B
brogh Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks guys ! smile

pics later :P wow this thing is way beyond what i got form the tests i made, everything is at hand & super comfy, sounds are just great. i need to spend some time with it to understand the advanced functions, the keys are just great.

and now lets have some fun smile

Cheers

D
D
Congratulations!

Good choice,
I've had my MP11SE for a few months now, and compared to my other weighted keyboards, it's the closest thing to my Kawai acoustic grand, and the more I play it, the more I love it smile

B
brogh Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all !

Hey Kevin smile didn't see any pics of your setup in there, although it was a really interesting read so many good advice, great thread.

ok, i managed to get around the piano a bit yesterday and everything is really really great, i still have to try to hook it up via midi but there's time for that, i have to get around the stand which i think is a tiny bit high but no biggie,

i basically love all the sounds, spent some time browsing and going trough settings and effects, yeah i was playing with my new toy :P LOL, it's impressive, i'm good, usability also is great understanding what does what on the left side of the upper knobs is straight forward, very easy, advanced settings are worth imho investing some time with the manual, Imho it's really excellent, it's a tank and heavy to move around it a set and forget piece of gear smile i like it

I'm not sure about something, i read that some mp11's had keyboard problems, ( i read a thread in here somewhere ) i'm not 100 % sure but i think i have a couple of "strange keys", i'll be checking with kawai, some make a little noise not all the others, i read about some issues in the past on some reviews but that's not the point, Kawai has a great reputation and i'm not worried and sure it will get solved.

playing time smile i need to get me a teacher now .. no more excuses :P didn't have a personal piano so that would have been pointless right ?

Cheers

Last edited by brogh; 09/18/19 04:40 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Hi Brogh,

There was just the one link to the image of my setup. It is only a bit neater now, this is the link to it as it was. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoVQ2CmMrkuqv3BZ8TMvR__oPSnQ

Sounds like you are digging into the settings more than I have. I have not gone beyond the piano settings.

I am also returning to default settings. Not always but often now. The sound is a little richer with the default touch and keeping key volume off. The damper noise is still turned down, I found it quite intrusive.

Sorry to hear about the key noise issue. Hopefully it will be resolved or you learn it is nothing to worry about and can accept.

B
brogh Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi ! smile ohj i missed that one link but i listened to a tune very nice !

i see i'm not only one who had to squezze it in :), agree on the damper and some noises that are a bit too much, but i't a first impression i need to spend more time on it before tinkering with the settings.

About the keys, my reasoning is that if 81 sounds "thump" and 7 have a little "tick" added, those 7 aren't right, ( curiously C5&B4 - C4&B3 - C3&B2&A2 ) it's not super super noisy, but i'm worried about is that this might be the sign of something strange that might break/get bad/whatever in the future, i'm not worried about the "tick" itself, altough my ocd ( not really :P) wants them to be as the other ones smile
when the piano is on with some speakers you don't notice it, there is a mp11se unboxing video of ( i believe ) one of the users onboard, altough the audio quality isn't great there's no sign of this "tick" there, again not worried for the moment.

i'm really satisfied with it great piece of gear smile

Last edited by brogh; 09/18/19 05:20 PM.
brogh, congrats on your new MP11SE!

Personally, as long as the keys are working correctly, I wouldn't worry too much about a little variance in sound when pressed.
If you could mute the strings on an acoustic grand piano, I expect you would here much more variation in sound when playing each key.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Indeed. I used to have an acoustic K300 ATX2 - and on that I could disconnect the hammers from hitting the strings for silent play using the digital stuff in it.
An acoustic action makes all sorts of noises and there was a fair bit of differences across the keybed.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Oh and congrats on the new instrument - looks like an awesome DP.

You guys are making me wonder whether I should save a bundle and buy an MP11 ... instead of a Novus or an AG.

I've never see an MP11 ... so I guess I'll have to see whether Sam Ash has one. I'll be out that way this weekend. Fingers crossed.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You guys are making me wonder whether I should save a bundle and buy an MP11 ... instead of a Novus or an AG.

I've never see an MP11 ... so I guess I'll have to see whether Sam Ash has one. I'll be out that way this weekend. Fingers crossed.

I think it would mostly depend on whether you like the action or not. The biggest complaint seems to be the soft bottoming. That doesn't bother me, neither did the hard bottoming of my Casio. I seemed to be far more sensitive to dynamic weight, the Casio was way too light, I think Kawai's GF is still a bit light on that score but is a huge improvement on the Casio and good enough that with practise I think I'll be able to achieve the regulation I desire.

I suspect the key action and the sound of both AG and Novus will be significantly better again.

I might in the end get some custom thing made that hides what is underneath and behind it.

So from my own personal experience I can only recommend it. I like the default sound. I did buy the exact same model I tested in the showroom, so I new for sure I wasn't getting one without key problems.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Been playing my MP11SE every day for over a year now, it's rock solid. As for the soft key bottoming, it happens if I have the action set to "heavy." There is something in how the software simulates a heavy action by delaying the sound a split second that makes the keys feel rubbery at the bottom. Back on the "normal" setting, and the rubberiness goes away.

I think it's a great keyboard. Welcome to the club, Brogh!

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Been playing my MP11SE every day for over a year now, it's rock solid. As for the soft key bottoming, it happens if I have the action set to "heavy." There is something in how the software simulates a heavy action by delaying the sound a split second that makes the keys feel rubbery at the bottom. Back on the "normal" setting, and the rubberiness goes away.

That's an interesting effect!

I think the issue I and others are thinking about is the fact that the stop is a bit soft on the MP11. When you press the key down all the way to the felt, you can still press it down some more (kind of like a synth aftertouc effect), whereas it's more normal to have a hard, punctuated bottoming out. It's noticeable with the DP completely off.

There's been some discussion as to whether the front rail felt is soft/deep on the MP11, or if it has something to do with being able to apply extra pressure to the hammer... In any case I've always taken it as a necessary effect to have the quietest digital action out there.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I think the issue I and others are thinking about is the fact that the stop is a bit soft on the MP11. When you press the key down all the way to the felt, you can still press it down some more (kind of like a synth aftertouc effect), whereas it's more normal to have a hard, punctuated bottoming out. It's noticeable with the DP completely off.

There's been some discussion as to whether the front rail felt is soft/deep on the MP11, or if it has something to do with being able to apply extra pressure to the hammer... In any case I've always taken it as a necessary effect to have the quietest digital action out there.

I think Kawai have partly made a problem for themselves. By having such a quiet action, any noise becomes more noticeable and people like me start worrying when we shouldn't.

In my short time of usage, and I think more so because I had the action set to heavy for the first two weeks, the soft bottoming for keys in the middle feels less obvious. Like the felt is being flattened a bit.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah, thanks for the clarification Gombessa. Do you know if the front rail felts are the same felt disks they have on their acoustic grands? If so, and if you can remove the keys easily, a set of Wurzen conical felts may help. I swapped them on my Kawai acoustic grand, and it feels slightly harder now when the keys bottom out.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
IIRC they're not discs. The front rail is empty. Instead there is a step of green felt that runs in front of the front rail, and another strip between the front rail pins and some intermediate stabilizing pins.

I do recall Kawai claiming that the felt is the same type that they use on their acoustics, though.

Would be interesting to see if you can regulate the keyfeel by replacing the strips with the traditional discs smile And yes, the keys are very easily removed if you were so inclined!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission