2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I'm heading to a dealer this weekend to look at a used 2000 Yamaha C5 piano. Their asking price is ~$14k, but I know they bought the piano for $8k. What do you think would be the lowest price they'd let it go for?

P
P
Originally Posted by dealmaster00
I'm heading to a dealer this weekend to look at a used 2000 Yamaha C5 piano. Their asking price is ~$14k, but I know they bought the piano for $8k. What do you think would be the lowest price they'd let it go for?

$8,100

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's pretty aggressively priced already, if it's in average or better condition for its age, and a non-gray market piano, honestly. I'd be surprised if it didn't sell quickly at $14k.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
I
I
I got curious and looked up the C3 and C5 pianos currently being advertised on PianoMart. A 1981 C5 is being offered for $15K, a 1989 C3 for $12.5K, a 1987 C5 for $13K, ....

If the piano is in good condition, then i agree with terminaldegree that you're being offered a good deal.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the replies so far! I'm less interested in whether or not this is a good deal, and more interested in what type of offer to make to a motivated dealer. Piano has been sitting around for more than 3 months. Probably going to start around 11 or 12k if I really like it. May need to quote another piano I like (eg I like this c5 a little more but found an older kawai rx-2 for $9k that I can't justify more of a price increase on)

Last edited by dealmaster00; 09/18/19 06:34 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Thanks for the replies so far! I'm less interested in whether or not this is a good deal, and more interested in what type of offer to make to a motivated dealer. Piano has been sitting around for more than 3 months.
I don't think that's a long time for a piano to go unsold.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

+1. Especially since it's at a dealer's. Also, do they include free delivery, free first tuning? Did they do a lot of prep to the piano after buying it? They might have bought it for $8k, but that doesn't mean they didn't put money into it afterward. So unless you know more than you're sharing with us (which you certainly might), you don't really know how "motivated" the dealer is.

Am I correct in understanding that you haven't played it yet? And that you have played another (slightly older) C5 somewhere else?

I recommend you decide on 1) an ideal price, and 2) a maximum price for yourself that you can pay or are willing to pay. Then start with the ideal price, or perhaps slightly lower, and see how the dealer responds.

It will come down to how much you like the piano, or, say, you like the piano but only at a certain price. Are you willing to make an offer, and then walk away if the counter offer is too high?

BTW, based on my recent piano shopping experience, I will second TD's comment that the price is already quite good. Still, having said that, in many markets, a C5 (6'7" right?) may be harder to sell than smaller pianos, so you do have that in your favor.

Anyway, why not offer $11K and go from there. If the salesperson thinks that's a low ball offer, you can say "well I had to ask" and smile. The salesperson shouldn't be offended. And then go from there, if you're interested enough.

Keep us posted whatever happens!!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 09/18/19 07:02 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Thanks for the replies so far! I'm less interested in whether or not this is a good deal, and more interested in what type of offer to make to a motivated dealer. Piano has been sitting around for more than 3 months.

+2 That is really a short time, imo.

[Linked Image]
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

+1. Especially since it's at a dealer's. Also, do they include free delivery, free first tuning? Did they do a lot of prep to the piano after buying it? They might have bought it for $8k, but that doesn't mean they didn't put money into it afterward. So unless you know more than you're sharing with us (which you certainly might), you don't really know how "motivated" the dealer is.

Am I correct in understanding that you haven't played it yet? And that you have played another (slightly older) C5 somewhere else?

I recommend you decide on 1) an ideal price, and 2) a maximum price for yourself that you can pay or are willing to pay. Then start with the ideal price, or perhaps slightly lower, and see how the dealer responds.

It will come down to how much you like the piano, or, say, you like the piano but only at a certain price. Are you willing to make an offer, and then walk away if the counter offer is too high?

BTW, based on my recent piano shopping experience, I will second TD's comment that the price is already quite good. Still, having said that, in many markets, a C5 (6'7" right?) may be harder to sell than smaller pianos, so you do have that in your favor.

Anyway, why not offer $11K and go from there. If the salesperson thinks that's a low ball offer, you can say "well I had to ask" and smile. The salesperson shouldn't be offended. And then go from there, if you're interested enough.

Keep us posted whatever happens!!

Thanks for the response! They do not offer free delivery or any tuning/prepwork on delivery, that will all be out of pocket. I'm not sure how motivated they are - but wanted to assume motivated for the sake of this post. Good idea on 1) and 2), I will probably do this.

I also have not played the piano yet, so I may not even like it. I certainly am willing to walk, especially if I don't really love the piano. Will update the thread with the outcome end of the weekend! smile

Last edited by dealmaster00; 09/19/19 12:44 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ok, if they are not willing to pay for moving or first tuning (weird, by the way, most dealers do), then I will add to my advice:

3) call around and find some reputable movers to give you a quote on moving the piano. Be sure to tell them how big the piano is, and then also how many steps there are into your house, whether they can back the truck up to the porch to avoid having to deal with steps, any other details like tight corners etc. This will give you a real dollar amount so you know how much delivery will cost you.

4) if you don't already have your own piano tech, find out how much a tech would charge for 1) pre-purchase inspection, and 2) post-delivery tuning. Also ask the tech if s/he would be available by phone for while you are inspecting the piano, my tech did that and we spent about 10 minutes on the phone while I was looking at pianos and it was super helpful.

Then when you are ready to negotiate, you will be able to say "well, it's going to cost me X dollars for delivery and tuning" and that will be an excellent bargaining tool.

I hope you love it, being able to fit a Yamaha that big in my living room would be amazing! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
OP Offline
D
I ended up not liking the C5 too much, so did not make an offer on it. I did find another piano I liked and purchased - a 2003 schimmel konzert 189 (I believe "diamond empire" edition). It was an out of state purchase so will be waiting a few weeks for delivery. Had a trusted tech inspect it. I believe after 2 years, my piano search has come to an end smile

Last edited by dealmaster00; 10/02/19 12:13 PM.
D
OP Offline
D
Can't edit post but typed some more thoughts - a runner up was a new Seiler ED186 around the same price (~20k). It was voiced and regulated remarkably well, but I decided I'd prefer a lightly used German manufactured piano over new Indonesian - and the Schimmel Konzert series appears to be well regarded. Plus, I have always really loved schimmels the moment I first played one. I had thought they were out of my price range at ~75k new (this was before I knew about SMP discount), but when my more local dealer said they could do under 40k for a C213, I knew a used would be within reach smile

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I ended up not liking the C5 too much, so did not make an offer on it. I did find another piano I liked and purchased - a 2003 schimmel konzert 189 (I believe "diamond empire" edition). It was an out of state purchase so will be waiting a few weeks for delivery. Had a trusted tech inspect it. I believe after 2 years, my piano search has come to an end smile

Nice! Who did you buy from out-of-state? Was it a dealer or private purchase?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by navindra

Nice! Who did you buy from out-of-state? Was it a dealer or private purchase?

It was a dealer! Made a weekend trip out of state to visit a few dealers. Also checked local private listings but nothing caught my eye. Schimmel Konzert 189 and Seiler ED186 were the top finds. Also really enjoyed a new Estonia L190 but it was out of budget.

Last edited by dealmaster00; 10/02/19 06:12 PM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N

It was a dealer! Made a weekend trip out of state to visit a few dealers. Also checked local private listings but nothing caught my eye. Schimmel Konzert 189 and Seiler ED186 were the top finds. Also really enjoyed a new Estonia L190 but it was out of budget.

Cool! It would be great to hear how well the out-of-state dealer experience works out for you and if you end up recommending them.

I've heard folks have good out-of-state experience with dealers such as Pierre's Fine Pianos (?), etc.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by navindra

Cool! It would be great to hear how well the out-of-state dealer experience works out for you and if you end up recommending them.

I've heard folks have good out-of-state experience with dealers such as Pierre's Fine Pianos (?), etc.

Yes, once I get the piano I'll let you know! smile

Questions about making a deal remind me on ‘what to say’ to a girl when trying to make a date. Theres no established formula and sometimes one needs to be a little creative to get things done. So, why not ask directly or make an ‘irresistible’ offer?
“Probieren geht ueber studieren”, German saying meaning “trying out beats simply studying things”. Luckily I was successful when meeting my wife.
In many cases before I was NOT!! Lucky again.....🤠🥳👻
P.S. piano buying could be similar....
Norbert🧐

Last edited by Norbert; 10/03/19 12:05 AM.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Norbert
Questions about making a deal remind me on ‘what to say’ to a girl when trying to make a date. Theres no established formula and sometimes one needs to be a little creative to get things done. So, why not ask directly or make an ‘irresistible’ offer?
“Probieren geht ueber studieren”, German saying meaning “trying out beats simply studying things”. Luckily I was successful when meeting my wife.
Norbert🧐

Ok Norbert... asking directly, what's your best price on a Ritmuller UH121R (Mahogany Polish) or UH132R?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
Norbert🧐

So true...

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission