2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
37 members (clothearednincompo, Brahms4, Doug M., CyberGene, Chrispy, David B, BachToTheFuture, Frédéric L, 7 invisible), 317 guests, and 385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano shopping in Los Angeles area ?
#2891533 09/18/19 01:10 AM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Has anyone tried shopping for a piano (Used, not new) in the Los Angeles area ? Reading through ads on Los Angeles craigslist I see lots of warehouse buying situations . Also I’ve noticed many restoration services seeming with years of experience . Have any of you any experience with buying a piano through a warehouse or from a restoration business around L.A.? I’m searching for either a Steinway B or D , and read of a warehouse business with 10 Steinway model B ‘s. Thanks for any observations of a buying trip in this area

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Piano shopping in Los Angeles area ?
Coda9 #2891572 09/18/19 07:07 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I suggest finding one of the really fine technicians in the LA area and asking for direction from them.

There are a number of fine store owners there, and they may each have something, but I suggest reaching out to David Andersen. He is a trusted friend who happens to be a nationally respected technician and teacher of piano technology. He occasionally has pianos, but more importantly, he will separate fact from fiction, direct you in your search to quality, and help maintain your investment after you choose something.

He will also tell you there are others in LA who can do the same, but David is a beautiful soul as well as being able to make pianos beautiful. That is why I recommend him.

Good Luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Coda9 #2891649 09/18/19 11:40 AM
S
spk Offline
S
I have purchased several pianos from Knauer pianos and have had very good experiences. I’ve also talked to and heard very good things about Past Perfect pianos and wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from them.

Coda9 #2891867 09/19/19 01:09 AM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you both Rickster and spk , for your recommendations. I had brief contact asking David Andersen about a Steinway model D he had restored and provided a sound demo on his website Recently I explored the website of Knauer Pianos. And past perfect pianios sounds very intriguing to get to know .
But I’m still curious if anyone has tried making an appointment at some of the large warehouse style businesses offering Steinways and other brands at wholesale-ish prices .

Last edited by Coda9; 09/19/19 01:11 AM.
Coda9 #2893121 09/22/19 02:38 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
For Steinway restos, you would do well to contact Past Perfect in North Hollywood. Tony Hahm has been in the game for like 40 years and always has many pianos done and ready to go unlike some of the others guys who seem to have a lot of cores around that they'll work on if you pay the deposit. Tony is refreshingly direct and straight shooting. He's very liberal with sharing his knowledge almost to a fault. He's also refreshingly free of hard sell techniques.

Easy to find him via Google.

Kurt

edit: I see now that you already know of Past Perfect. The strong endorsement remains.

Last edited by KurtZ; 09/22/19 02:41 PM.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Coda9 #2893246 09/22/19 11:34 PM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you KurtZ for the detailed recommend of past perfect pianos owner Would you possibly know of a piano warehouse located Lake Balboa— they advertise 11 Steinway model B’s and recently they began offering rental of Steinway for a month or more .
I’ve also noticed a warehouse named American piano Institute, Hollywood , run by PROF. MARIO MERDIROSSIAN AT, seems to have LOTS of instruments .
Thanks for your observations I really appreciate i solid recommendations !

Coda9 #2893341 09/23/19 09:45 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Coda, you seem to have been taken with the idea of a warehouse sale situation. If you're looking for a bargain then the private sale route is the only way to go. My guess is a warehouse won't offer instruments of the same quality as the places that have been recommended. Don't be fooled by fancy titles (such as Professor in all caps). Professional in the industry know what their instruments are worth and those who have invested more in repair and restoration have to sell them for more in order to stay in business, but their reputations are hard earned by selling quality.

Coda9 #2893478 09/23/19 05:25 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Coda9
Thank you KurtZ for the detailed recommend of past perfect pianos owner Would you possibly know of a piano warehouse located Lake Balboa— they advertise 11 Steinway model B’s and recently they began offering rental of Steinway for a month or more .
I’ve also noticed a warehouse named American piano Institute, Hollywood , run by PROF. MARIO MERDIROSSIAN AT, seems to have LOTS of instruments .
Thanks for your observations I really appreciate i solid recommendations !

No sorry, I was shopping for uprights and confined myself mostly to storefront operations for the reasons Steve mentioned above me. I went to see Tony because he was a dealer for Hailun and was still selling lots of grey market Yamahas.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Coda9 #2893606 09/24/19 07:34 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I know someone selling a restored Steinway L in the LA area. PM me if you are interested in details. 18K

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Coda9 #2893770 09/24/19 05:31 PM
N
N
Generally speaking are pianos in Los Angeles cheaper compared to most other areas in the country? Of course we are comparing exactly the same piano, either new or used.

Coda9 #2893823 09/24/19 08:52 PM
C
Coda9 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
So if I’m understanding recommendations , particularly an observation from KurtZ, The pit fall in shopping for a Steinway grand at one of the warehouse businesses , is that they want you to pay them to do the restoration .
I was hoping to find a wholesale/bargain price of a Steinway model B or D at a Warehouse , then choose whom ever I wanted to restore it . So maybe I should contact the warehouse at Lake Balboa and ask price range for their roster of 11 Steinway model B’?
If I am catching the drift of everyone’s recommendations , David Andersen, Ben Knauer, and Tony Hahn are highly recommended as people in the business to trust finding the piano you’re very much wanting to find —-?

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Etude played by computer
by GHN - 08/05/20 01:54 AM
Questions on selling my Baldwin L 6'3" Grand Piano
by ivorytux - 08/04/20 11:18 PM
1980s Baldwin Factory Question
by bensbaldwin - 08/04/20 10:21 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,722
Posts2,988,293
Members98,024
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission