2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 61 of 101 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 100 101
P
P
Thank you so much for this reply! I’ll take it to heart. You’ve given me a place to start, and will take it up with my teacher at my next lesson. I think for now, I’ll put the touch response back where it was, and try to work on your suggestions! Thank you again!!!

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
pagirl #2886012 09/01/19 08:40 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pagirl
but after my first practice with it, my wrists really hurt

Never try to play through pain. Permanent damage might result.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Thank you Tyrone, I really appreciate it! I’m so glad I asked this question in here instead of waiting another two weeks. I’ll definitely take your advice!

Fran...

Yamaha Arius 164, Classic popular, Soft Rock, Studying In PIano Adventures AIO, Unit 11, Pianote Foundations
E
E
Hey, Fran!
I have the same problem. When I listen to myself, my left hand is often louder than it should be, and so it sounds like I'm banging on the keys. I've gotten A LOT better, but it's a difficult skill to quiet one hand and not the other. It takes a lot of time and practice. This week I'm working on 2 pieces where the melody is in the left hand. It feels like I'm starting over again!

How is everyone doing this week?

My progress has slowed pretty significantly. I feel like I've kind of hit a wall and have a bunch of challenging pieces. I know it's going to get to a point where I can't finish everything I start within a week, but I wanted to get further along in my method books before I got to that point. I was hoping to finish book four by the end of November, but now I'm thinking that may be overly optimistic. Maybe by the end of the year, then book 5 by the end of next summer. Crazy that it's going to take me 2 years to get through my method books!

Anyway, this week I'm finishing up Mazurka in F and The Spy in the lesson book, still struggling with Liebestraum in the performance book (that left-hand melody is killing me) and started Greensleeves, which isn't difficult. I also started on a piece in Melody Bober's book 5.

enw10 #2886228 09/02/19 11:46 AM
P
P
Hi, as usual you blow me away by all that you accomplish! I just finished “When the Saints Come Marching In” and am starting on several scales and arpeggios pieces. One of them is really tricky for me. I only have a lesson every two weeks so usually I have plenty of time to get them under control, but nowhere near finished. I am enjoying the Arpeggios, as I get to use the pedal with them, and I love the sound! I’m going to use them to warm up as I go forward. From here on out, I am going to pay far more attention to dynamics, and am doing research on hand movement. Need to do some research on this last. Didn’t realize just how important it was!!! I’m afraid this last is the result of using my iPad with an internet connection for my lessons. I don’t think my teacher gets a very good view of my hand action! I don’t have much choice, as I can’t go out to have lessons. I have Chronic Leukemia and am really susceptible to infections and colds, flu, etc. it’s pretty much under control now, but I still have to be careful. I’m not going to let that stop me from learning to play the piano! I love even the simplest tune I learn!!!

Fran...

E
E
I watched a really good video during the online piano convention (it's not up anymore) where the guy (I don't remember who it was) said to try to keep a straight line from the finger on the note being played, up your forearm. In the Faber books they talk about doing "circles", which is essentially the same thing... you're circling your wrist to keep everything centered up your arm. Try to think about that during your arpeggios smile

enw10 #2886262 09/02/19 01:29 PM
P
P
Good tip, Thank you!

Fran...

E
E
Hey, Faber friends!

I hope you're all making great progress in your piano journeys!

I'm still slowing plugging along. I'm down to one piece/week in the lesson book. They're getting difficult enough now that I'm just not able to complete several. I'm still doing things in several other books as well, but those are pieces that I know are going to take longer.

My daughter started lessons with my teacher, and she's really doing great. She's on book 2B now, and she gets so excited for lessons. She's also starting in band at school this year, so I'm not sure if she'll stick with piano longterm, but at least she'll have a base if she ever wants to go back to it later smile

P
P
Hi, I hear you, about slowing down, I am taking more time on my pieces now, and since I started recording myself, I am way more aware of where the work needs to go! I had a great breakthrough this lesson! Talked to my teacher about the pain in my wrist, and we took most of my lesson time tracking down the cause. Turns out I am not sitting high enough to have the correct posture. Put a pillow on my bench, and I could feel the difference right away! No excuse for not learning scales now!!! Am working on Musette for one of my assignments this time, and it’s going to be a challenge, bringing in more independent fingering with my left hand, that, and one more new piece that I haven’t looked at, and music scales will keep me busy till next time. I enjoy so much hearing what you have been working on, and looking forward to getting to that level!

I think it’s so great that your daughter is taking lessons too! It will just give you one more thing to bond on! I tried getting my granddaughter interested, but right now she’s more interested in creating movies on her computer. She has a Casio in her room so maybe there’s still hope...

Fran...

C
C
Glad to hear all of us are still chugging along. I'm into Section 4 in the Faber books. Some fun pieces but they do take longer to learn and master enough before I move on. That's okay because I'm having fun and enjoy playing them.

As I progress the arrangements sound better and better so the level of enjoyment at the keyboard just keeps improving. I'm not gunning to play advanced pieces, I just want to play some nice arrangements of great songs. I enjoy a good song whether it is The Beatles or Beethoven.

Watch that pain... stop if it hurts so you don't do long term damage.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 09/16/19 01:49 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
P
P
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Glad to hear all of us are still chugging along. I'm into Section 4 in the Faber books. Some fun pieces but they do take longer to learn and master enough before I move on. That's okay because I'm having fun and enjoy playing them.

As I progress the arrangements sound better and better so the level of enjoyment at the keyboard just keeps improving. I'm not gunning to play advanced pieces, I just want to play some nice arrangements of great songs. I enjoy a good song whether it is The Beatles or Beethoven.

Watch that pain... stop if it hurts so you don't do long term damage.

Thanks, I decided to invest in an adjustable bench because the improvement was so pronounced! Saw where there was one from Amazon, mentioned on a thread here, so looked into it, so decided to go for it.

It is so good to hear you are making such great progress! I have a lot of the same goals. I really want to be able to play for personal enjoyment, and to someday entertain my family😊 I already have picked out several Abba hits I’d love to learn! In the meantime I’m enjoying my little successes with some of my practice pieces. That keeps me happy for now.

Fran...

E
E
How do you like your new bench, Fran? smile

enw10 #2897403 10/05/19 08:45 PM
P
P
It’s great, but it has a quirk, it has a ‘pop’ sound when I stand up! Think it’s trying to tell me something???

I will be off piano rest next Tuesday, and my teacher is going to double down on the Faber 3 min. Technique’s that he shows on video in the pa app. Can’t wait, feels like forever since I sat at the piano!!! I’ll be starting over from scratch! No more shortcuts!

Hope things are going well for you!

Fran...

pagirl #2897425 10/05/19 10:36 PM
Hi, as usual you blow me away by all that you accomplish! I just finished “When the Saints Come Marching In” and am starting on several scales and arpeggios pieces. One of them is really tricky for me. I only have a lesson every two weeks so usually I have plenty of time to get them under control, but nowhere near finished. I am enjoying the Arpeggios, as I get to use the pedal with them, and I love the sound! I’m going to use them to warm up as I go forward. From here on out, I am going to pay far more attention to dynamics, and am doing research on hand movement. Need to do some research on this last. Didn’t realize just how important it was!!! I’m afraid this last is the result of using my iPad with an internet connection for my lessons. I don’t think my teacher gets a very good view of my hand action! I don’t have much choice, as I can’t go out to have lessons. I have Chronic Leukemia and am really susceptible to infections and colds, flu, etc. it’s pretty much under control now, but I still have to be careful. I’m not going to let that stop me from learning to play the piano! I love even the simplest tune I learn!!!

Fran...

I think Arpreggios are great for learning wrist position and Italian pronunciation. They make your wrist proceed at a steady Pace with the fingers. I don't know any drills that help leukemia though, hope you feel better.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
pagirl #2898447 10/09/19 03:37 AM
O
O
It’s great, but it has a quirk, it has a ‘pop’ sound when I stand up! Think it’s trying to tell me something

Fran...

Must be the same seat as mine. Got it for my Birthday a few months ago, also from Amazon.

Mine pops both when I sit down and when I stand up. And it’s a loud pop.

The sad thing is, even on its lowest setting, I’m still slightly too high for my Casio px870

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
The sad thing is, even on its lowest setting, I’m still slightly too high for my Casio px870

Piano caster cups could add some height if it is only a slight difference.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
I’m really sad this morning. Had to let my teacher go. My carpal tunnel is lingering on a bit, and she is of the mind that if football players play through the pain, piano players should be able to. I’m praying I can find a teacher that will help me learn how to play with relaxed wrists, and less tension to deal with this problem. I really want to stay with this more than anything.

“Tbonesays”...my leukemia is in check, it is the meds that are reducing my resistance to cold, flu, etc which can turn into pneumonia and worse, which is why I have to depend on my iPad, computer, etc to reach out to people, and attend classes. Have to avoid crowds. Thank goodness for electronics!!!

Fran

Last edited by pagirl; 10/09/19 11:08 AM. Reason: Added quotes

pagirl #2898615 10/09/19 12:31 PM
E
E
I’m really sad this morning. Had to let my teacher go. My carpal tunnel is lingering on a bit, and she is of the mind that if football players play through the pain, piano players should be able to. I’m praying I can find a teacher that will help me learn how to play with relaxed wrists, and less tension to deal with this problem. I really want to stay with this more than anything.

Oh, Fran frown That doesn't sound good at all. As hard as it is to do, I think you're making the right decision. I am absolutely positive you will find a teacher who can help you with this!

enw10 #2898725 10/09/19 06:31 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by enw10

Oh, Fran frown That doesn't sound good at all. As hard as it is to do, I think you're making the right decision. I am absolutely positive you will find a teacher who can help you with this!

All is well that ends well!!! I found a wonderful teacher and she said she can help me learn to learn to play without injury! I start next Thursday. I am so excited!!!

pagirl #2898747 10/09/19 08:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10

All is well that ends well!!! I found a wonderful teacher and she said she can help me learn to learn to play without injury! I start next Thursday. I am so excited!!!

Now that is GREAT news! Let us know what she has you do to avoid pain.

[Linked Image]
Page 61 of 101 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 100 101

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission