2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2890694 09/15/19 04:16 PM
K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have had a blind pimple right on the bone behind my ear and the pain when wearing my over ear headphones is too much. This has been the last couple of days.

I am self conscious with my practise, very aware that repeatedly going over the bit of music I am struggling with is horrible to listen to for others in the house, so my practise loses discipline as soon as I have to play using speakers.

I have a pair of in ear headphone but they are fine for listening on my devices like iPhone and tablet etc. but they make the piano sound like one you'd find in a late 1960s bar where Billy Joel was finding an audience for piano man.

A lot of the bass has gone and the mid range is clangier. Are there in ear headphones for practising a digital piano?

R
R
Maybe just try using regular over-ear headphones with one cup off the affected ear.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by KevinM
I have had a blind pimple right on the bone behind my ear and the pain when wearing my over ear headphones is too much. This has been the last couple of days.

I am self conscious with my practise, very aware that repeatedly going over the bit of music I am struggling with is horrible to listen to for others in the house, so my practise loses discipline as soon as I have to play using speakers.

I have a pair of in ear headphone but they are fine for listening on my devices like iPhone and tablet etc. but they make the piano sound like one you'd find in a late 1960s bar where Billy Joel was finding an audience for piano man.

A lot of the bass has gone and the mid range is clangier. Are there in ear headphones for practising a digital piano?

I like the Etymotic ER-4SR earphones

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

and have used them for piano but I mainly play out loud and use the earphones for music. These earphones have a flat response curve. They have an XR model which has the bass bumped up.

I’ve been using Etymotic earphones for probably fifteen years. With the big yellow foam plugs I probably get over 40dB of attenuation of external noise. These earphones are so quiet you can pick up microphonic noise from the cord so you have a to clip the cord to your shirt.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Shure "in-ear monitors" are way better than standard consumer-grade earbuds.

I use SE215's. Plenty of bass, very clean sound. There are choices of eartips to ensure a good seal.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have used Etymotic for at last 15 years. I only use them when working at a client and when traveling on jets. They are fabulous, but honestly, I can't recommend them for folks here. The bass is too lean (I never heard the XR model) and they are just plain uncomfortable. And expensive. For traveling on jets, they just block the noise... fabulous! I tried noise canceling phones and find they not only sound like crap, but create some awful phasy pressures on my head. Bleck.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
What about those Grado headphones that folk talk about? They seem to sit on the ear rather than around it.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I have used Etymotic for at last 15 years. I only use them when working at a client and when traveling on jets. They are fabulous, but honestly, I can't recommend them for folks here. The bass is too lean (I never heard the XR model) and they are just plain uncomfortable. And expensive. For traveling on jets, they just block the noise... fabulous! I tried noise canceling phones and find they not only sound like crap, but create some awful phasy pressures on my head. Bleck.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Nice to see someone else likes Etymotic’s earphones. My Etymotic earphones make traveling around NYC on the subway a pleasant auditory experience, lol. I never wear them on the street, they attenuate noise so effectively that you’ll get run over by a bus or a bike delivery person.

Bass is felt by the whole body, mainly by the largest organs. No in-ear earphone can replicate that. I suppose the bass-bumped model helps a little, I don’t know, I have the Standard Reference model, and they sound amazing. I had the old ER-4Ps before that and they were also excellent. Yes, they’re expensive but quality costs money. I actually think they’re reasonably priced. I’ve seen in ear monitors that are far more expensive. The old 4Ps could be found for less, I suppose. They have cheaper models on their website.

The company has been good to me. They sent me a replacement pair after I broke one driver after using them for many years and the set was out of warranty. The folks at Etymotic are great people and they care about their customers. I believe they get their expertise in building tiny drivers by building hearing aids.

I would suggest treating the earphones gently and always putting them in the included case after each use.

I would recommend them. As for being uncomfortable, I find the foam earplugs to be more comfortable than the silicon earplugs. I order the big yellow foam plugs. I sleep with foam earplugs, made by Flents, and those are excellent.

Last edited by LarryK; 09/15/19 09:49 PM.

Hi, not all over ear headphones are of equal size. I use AKG K701 they have really big cups. BTW I didn't choose them because of size. I really like how they sound when plugged into my DP.

K
KevinM Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
I found a just acceptable solution until I can go back to my SuperLux over ear headphones.

I had forgotten I had some cheapo sony on ear headphones which I'd failed to sell on gumtree. I can wear them comfortably. They are significantly better than my in ear headphones, significantly worse than my superlux but they'll do until the pain goes.

P
P
Personally i love to use wireless in-ear earbuds. And specially recommend you SoundMagic earbuds which have best sound quality and bass as well and noise cancellation as well.
https://updato.com/reviews/best-in-ear-headphones-for-audiophiles/

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

These are one of the best in ear headphones:

Moondrop Blessing2 Engraved Version 1DD 4BA Hybrid Technology in-Ear Monitor Earphone (5) https://amzn.eu/d/1mI9Q8n

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by paulsmithlee
Personally i love to use wireless in-ear earbuds. And specially recommend you SoundMagic earbuds which have best sound quality and bass as well and noise cancellation as well.

Although it might change, all these wireless earbuds use Bluetooth and there is quite a noticeable delay when using them.

FP-90x, PX-330
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Purdyd
Originally Posted by paulsmithlee

Although it might change, all these wireless earbuds use Bluetooth and there is quite a noticeable delay when using them.

Yeah, they don't work 😀

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission