Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (AndrewJCW, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, AWilley, 604Rakuda, amyram, AaronSF, akc42, 27 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
In ear headphones #2890694
09/15/19 04:16 PM
09/15/19 04:16 PM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
I have had a blind pimple right on the bone behind my ear and the pain when wearing my over ear headphones is too much. This has been the last couple of days.

I am self conscious with my practise, very aware that repeatedly going over the bit of music I am struggling with is horrible to listen to for others in the house, so my practise loses discipline as soon as I have to play using speakers.

I have a pair of in ear headphone but they are fine for listening on my devices like iPhone and tablet etc. but they make the piano sound like one you'd find in a late 1960s bar where Billy Joel was finding an audience for piano man.

A lot of the bass has gone and the mid range is clangier. Are there in ear headphones for practising a digital piano?

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890700
09/15/19 04:22 PM
09/15/19 04:22 PM
R
R111 Offline
R111  Offline
R

Maybe just try using regular over-ear headphones with one cup off the affected ear.

Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890702
09/15/19 04:27 PM
09/15/19 04:27 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by KevinM
I have had a blind pimple right on the bone behind my ear and the pain when wearing my over ear headphones is too much. This has been the last couple of days.

I am self conscious with my practise, very aware that repeatedly going over the bit of music I am struggling with is horrible to listen to for others in the house, so my practise loses discipline as soon as I have to play using speakers.

I have a pair of in ear headphone but they are fine for listening on my devices like iPhone and tablet etc. but they make the piano sound like one you'd find in a late 1960s bar where Billy Joel was finding an audience for piano man.

A lot of the bass has gone and the mid range is clangier. Are there in ear headphones for practising a digital piano?

I like the Etymotic ER-4SR earphones

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

and have used them for piano but I mainly play out loud and use the earphones for music. These earphones have a flat response curve. They have an XR model which has the bass bumped up.

I’ve been using Etymotic earphones for probably fifteen years. With the big yellow foam plugs I probably get over 40dB of attenuation of external noise. These earphones are so quiet you can pick up microphonic noise from the cord so you have a to clip the cord to your shirt.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890721
09/15/19 05:36 PM
09/15/19 05:36 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Shure "in-ear monitors" are way better than standard consumer-grade earbuds.

I use SE215's. Plenty of bass, very clean sound. There are choices of eartips to ensure a good seal.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890767
09/15/19 09:16 PM
09/15/19 09:16 PM
Philadelphia
Bruce In Philly Online content
Bruce In Philly  Online Content

Philadelphia
I have used Etymotic for at last 15 years. I only use them when working at a client and when traveling on jets. They are fabulous, but honestly, I can't recommend them for folks here. The bass is too lean (I never heard the XR model) and they are just plain uncomfortable. And expensive. For traveling on jets, they just block the noise... fabulous! I tried noise canceling phones and find they not only sound like crap, but create some awful phasy pressures on my head. Bleck.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890768
09/15/19 09:25 PM
09/15/19 09:25 PM
Z
Zaphod Offline
500 Post Club Member
Zaphod  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

What about those Grado headphones that folk talk about? They seem to sit on the ear rather than around it.

Re: In ear headphones [Re: Bruce In Philly] #2890770
09/15/19 09:42 PM
09/15/19 09:42 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
1000 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
L

New York City
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I have used Etymotic for at last 15 years. I only use them when working at a client and when traveling on jets. They are fabulous, but honestly, I can't recommend them for folks here. The bass is too lean (I never heard the XR model) and they are just plain uncomfortable. And expensive. For traveling on jets, they just block the noise... fabulous! I tried noise canceling phones and find they not only sound like crap, but create some awful phasy pressures on my head. Bleck.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Nice to see someone else likes Etymotic’s earphones. My Etymotic earphones make traveling around NYC on the subway a pleasant auditory experience, lol. I never wear them on the street, they attenuate noise so effectively that you’ll get run over by a bus or a bike delivery person.

Bass is felt by the whole body, mainly by the largest organs. No in-ear earphone can replicate that. I suppose the bass-bumped model helps a little, I don’t know, I have the Standard Reference model, and they sound amazing. I had the old ER-4Ps before that and they were also excellent. Yes, they’re expensive but quality costs money. I actually think they’re reasonably priced. I’ve seen in ear monitors that are far more expensive. The old 4Ps could be found for less, I suppose. They have cheaper models on their website.

The company has been good to me. They sent me a replacement pair after I broke one driver after using them for many years and the set was out of warranty. The folks at Etymotic are great people and they care about their customers. I believe they get their expertise in building tiny drivers by building hearing aids.

I would suggest treating the earphones gently and always putting them in the included case after each use.

I would recommend them. As for being uncomfortable, I find the foam earplugs to be more comfortable than the silicon earplugs. I order the big yellow foam plugs. I sleep with foam earplugs, made by Flents, and those are excellent.

Last edited by LarryK; 09/15/19 09:49 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890817
09/16/19 02:22 AM
09/16/19 02:22 AM
Slovenia
5penguins Offline
5penguins  Offline

Slovenia
Originally Posted by KevinM

Hi, not all over ear headphones are of equal size. I use AKG K701 they have really big cups. BTW I didn't choose them because of size. I really like how they sound when plugged into my DP.

Re: In ear headphones [Re: KevinM] #2890828
09/16/19 03:59 AM
09/16/19 03:59 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
I found a just acceptable solution until I can go back to my SuperLux over ear headphones.

I had forgotten I had some cheapo sony on ear headphones which I'd failed to sell on gumtree. I can wear them comfortably. They are significantly better than my in ear headphones, significantly worse than my superlux but they'll do until the pain goes.

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist wants to learn “touch-up” tuning
by Coda9. 10/17/19 07:17 PM
"Weaponizing" Off-Topic posts in large threads
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Impact Method....without Impact Hammer?
by Duaner. 10/17/19 12:04 PM
Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On Part Deux
by Gombessa. 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Philip Glass look out!!
by Peyton. 10/17/19 11:49 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,575
Posts2,880,316
Members94,698
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission