2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone. It's been a very loooong time. I hope those that I once knew are well and those I have yet to meet are well too!

I am looking for a method book for level 1. Bit of backstory. Had a brain tumour removed (It's all good, I'm on bonus earth time) January of 2017. I had a stroke during the surgery that has caused some issues. As such I have forgotten most aspects of playing piano. I know just enough to be a hazard to myself. LOL. What I do remember is impeding me from progressing with the method books I have already used before. I need brand new material that I do not know in any way. And I have to learn from scratch again to fill the holes. I am interested in classical, rock, playing solo and with others and writing music (eventually jazz.) Almost any type should work with me.

I already have used: Alfred's Adult All in one level one and two, Faber's Piano Adventures for older Beginners level one and two and accompanying technique and artistry, theory, performance, and popular repertoire.

I need suggestions other than those. Pretty please.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Take a look at The Classical Piano Method by Hans-Gunter Heumann. I use all 3 books (the method book, finger fitness, and repertoire book) together.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Becca, welcome to the forum! That is quite an ordeal that you have survived.

It is not really a method book, but take a look at the Technic is fun books.

Otherwise, if you can afford it, you can subscribe to Piano Career Academy. They use Nikolaev's Russian school of piano playing. I would not recommend this book without the teaching though - because the teaching is the most important part. Also, they have a teacher there who can give you feedback.

Good luck in finding something that suits you!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
My teacher uses Frances Clark's Keyboard Musician for the Adult Beginner. I like it . . . but know at least one person here who definitely does NOT . . . (hello, TS)!

The Classical Piano method by Hans Gunter Heumann Is worth a look. It has additional finger fitness and repertoire books. I have level 2 and find them very easy on the eye.

You might look at Pianodao.com which reviews the series and other modern adult learning methods.

Wishing you well in your journey.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pwl
My teacher uses Frances Clark's Keyboard Musician for the Adult Beginner. I like it . . . but know at least one person here who definitely does NOT . . . (hello, TS)!

Hi! And I'm still remembering that I told our teacher that I'll go back and polish the pieces in Unit 23! (well, maybe after the RCM 4 exam in December?) (hello, teacher)!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
You're back! I always wonder what the story is for those who are here for a season and then disappear, and now I know your story. I'm sorry to hear about your illness, but so happy for you that you're back and ready to tackle piano again!

Another method book that has been recommended by many people is Fundamental Keys by Rachel Jimenez. There is a thread here.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

I would recommend Bartok's Mikrokosmos for classical, leaning on modal. It is very incremental and it was written with the aim to teach his son about composition as well. I use the Wiener Urtext which has a lot of Bartok's original notes on the compositional tricks he uses, which I find useful as I learn to play them.

For more pop-centric stuff, but still leaning on classical and also with composition tricks, there is the fantastic Re-Introduction Etudes by Chilly Gonzales, available directly from his website.

Originally Posted by BeccaBb

What I do remember is impeding me from progressing with the method books I have already used before. I need brand new material that I do not know in any way.

I'm curious about this part. What do you think is getting in the way with using the method books you've used before?

BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Oh thank you, every single one of you!

Hi Stubbie! It's been a crazy journey and I'm very proud that I've improved enough to start relearning again (I have tried a few times in the last few years but couldn't comprehend or remember enough to get far.)

I will research all of these wonderful suggestions! I'm also trying to find a piano teacher, which is proving to be difficult.

MichaelJK: I subconsciously remember the music. So I can play it but cant' read the freaking notes! Trying to force myself to read the notes is a nightmare. My brain is not cooperating with this at all. So I figure I'll just outsmart my brain. New material gonna have to read it. HAHA

Btw: Since I remember quite well the lure this forum has, I made myself a rule. I am not allowed to even peak at the forum until after my practice. laugh

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX

MichaelJK: I subconsciously remember the music. So I can play it but cant' read the freaking notes! Trying to force myself to read the notes is a nightmare. My brain is not cooperating with this at all. So I figure I'll just outsmart my brain. New material gonna have to read it. HAHA

In my opinion, you can never have too much new material! That's the fastest way to grow.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I'm also trying to find a piano teacher, which is proving to be difficult.

There are teachers on this forum who teach online. You might consider online teaching if you can't find one in your area.

I subconsciously remember the music. So I can play it but cant' read the freaking notes! Trying to force myself to read the notes is a nightmare. My brain is not cooperating with this at all. So I figure I'll just outsmart my brain. New material gonna have to read it. HAHA

I was guessing it was something like this.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I'm also trying to find a piano teacher, which is proving to be difficult.

There are teachers on this forum who teach online. You might consider online teaching if you can't find one in your area.

I subconsciously remember the music. So I can play it but cant' read the freaking notes! Trying to force myself to read the notes is a nightmare. My brain is not cooperating with this at all. So I figure I'll just outsmart my brain. New material gonna have to read it. HAHA

I was guessing it was something like this.

Thank you for the reminder that there are online teachers. I might have to take that route!

I was really surprised that my fingers remember but not my brain (well my brain doesn't work right anymore so that wasn't really surprising lol.) I had no idea that part of me had retained any of it. I'm really not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. LOl

MichaelJK: I agree never too much material. LOL

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
My also take up lessons via Skype and highly recommend it smile

Regarding books, I think you should also try repertoire books specifically designed for beginner students. Best one for me was/is the Album for the young from Schumann - it has everything from very easy pieces (grade 1 ish) to very tough ones (grade 6+). I know Tchaikovsky has a book as well and Czerny has a whole collection!

They might not be methods books in that sense, but they were designed to teach people through pieces and it helps that they're composed by these musical geniuses.

I've been playing the piano since Jan '18.
More recently, I passed Grade 6 with distinction and plan to take Grade 7 in late 2021.

I am documenting my progress, recitals and experiences of learning how to play the piano as an adult on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter Hontaru
My also take up lessons via Skype and highly recommend it smile

Regarding books, I think you should also try repertoire books specifically designed for beginner students. Best one for me was/is the Album for the young from Schumann - it has everything from very easy pieces (grade 1 ish) to very tough ones (grade 6+). I know Tchaikovsky has a book as well and Czerny has a whole collection!

They might not be methods books in that sense, but they were designed to teach people through pieces and it helps that they're composed by these musical geniuses.

I did not know that there were book specific artists with varying grades. I've just tried searching for Tchaikovsky and only found horrid themes. Sigh. I will keep looking though as I love his style. Thank you!!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I did not know that there were book specific artists with varying grades.

There are many lists. This is just one of of them.

[Linked Image]

BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I did not know that there were book specific artists with varying grades.

There are many lists. This is just one of of them.

Oh thank you! That is a lovely list. I am bouncing all over it, so much to pick from!

Also, got a teacher! I start Tuesday! I'm so excited it's stupid. And so broke that a sinkhole has swallowed my wallet, bank and credit cards. HAHAHAHAHA

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great Becca! I hope you'll have a good lesson on Tuesday and that your previous ability will come back to you.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you Animisha!

I had a wonderful lesson. Mostly went over my history, what I've been doing and ran through a song I knew (had to take out the book though) and put a new piece in front of me and said try this. So my homework is 2 exercises to warm up and this new song. He said he wants to see what I can do. smile

So I practiced this evening. Did my 2 exercises and then started plucking away at the notes. I noticed a pattern. So I really looked at it. Then tore it apart and wrote down everything I've discovered. I think I'm wrong but close on a thing or two. But I remember a lot that I had no idea I remembered. And my teacher is tricky and smart. I immensely respect him already. I've been trying to learn my G Scale. He noticed that. Cause I just realized that this song does not have the one sharp on the staff ( the indication of what key you play in. What it's called is gone. LOL) . But I put my hands in a g position twice in two spots and it has at least 3 f sharps and a few neutrals (naturals? crap another unsure thingy here.) And how he managed to turn this into a challenge in my brain I have no idea but this is awesome. I have no idea what I can do with just one song in a week. smile

Oh as for method books, he has me working out of a 2A Performance Faber book(this level is just for assessment, no clue where I will land.) He said it will take about a month to figure out where I'm actually at and where to put me. He likes Faber and so do I, so hopefully we can find something new to work with. I'll update in a month.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Becca, how wonderful that you have found such a good teacher! I guess the words you were looking for was Key signature. I think playing the piano will be of great help with your recovery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission