2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
OP Offline
Originally Posted by dogperson
Terry tini
Any updates for us? 😊

Hi - for those interested I bought it today !

So, to recap it’s a Steinberg P152 and it was £8400, with a £300 leather adjustable
piano stool and a couple of tunings added in.

Must admit it was a great feeling ! Looking forward to 27th September when I can Post
a picture or two of it in situ.

Great chat with the stores “ mechanic” who services pianos all over ( he’s just off to Turkey for a single job !) and he was very positive it was a good buy - not sales talk as I opened by saying I was still
debating a couple of others which cost a fair bit more.

Thanks again folks will be in touch soon !

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new piano!

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! I hope it brings you much happiness.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
As I posted above, I don't want to dampen the OP's enthusiasm, but I feel like I've been beaten up on some by others for simply trying to give objective advice.

I'm going to re-address the contrarian viewpoint, because the OP is not the only one reading this (so far nearly 2000 reads, and they will continue over time). He didn't just ask if he should buy this piano that he loves. He asked a broader, overarching question, and I don't think the persisting answer to that should be "buy any piano that you 'love'," just because we don't want to be "mean" at PW.

In the large, I'm glad that the athmosphere here isn't as abrasive as it has been at times. For example, some of the answers to my very own first post here were that the piano I was looking at was overpriced by the full amount of the asking price, that a rebuild of it should start by discarding it, and that, yes, it was just furniture and that if I simply wanted a piano shaped object I could get one for less money. That was a little difficult to hear at the time--Mrs. Retsacnal and I were admittedly smitten with the piano--but the fact of the matter was that it was true, and the advice to avoid the piano was good advice. I'm glad that I didn't hear resounding choruses of "buy it if you love it."

I have at times championed the "let's not be so rude to newbies" cause here. But I also don't think we should avoid giving good advice simply to not be seen as mean or rude.

The OP asked a broad question: Is 5ft really just furniture? The answer to that question is not a clearcut "not any more." For most pianos in existence, a small piano is just a shortened bigger one, and that "design" doesn't work well. For some of the newer models that benefit from newer scale designs they are better, but they still have limitations as compared to larger pianos.

Anyway, I'm glad that the OP is happy with his decision, but most people who conduct a thorough, ongoing, no holds barred assessment such as he described will not conclude that the smallest and cheapest piano is the one that they like best. The OP has indicated that in actuality he has both space and price constraints, and if this is the best compromise given his constraints, then more power to him. I hope it serves him well. But it's not mean or rude to be honest about the nature of small pianos.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats on the new piano. That's exciting. Post pictures when you can!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations and enjoy your new piano! Have fun on your journey!

[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
As I posted above, I don't want to dampen the OP's enthusiasm, but I feel like I've been beaten up on some by others for simply trying to give objective advice.

I'm going to re-address the contrarian viewpoint, because the OP is not the only one reading this (so far nearly 2000 reads, and they will continue over time). He didn't just ask if he should buy this piano that he loves. He asked a broader, overarching question, and I don't think the persisting answer to that should be "buy any piano that you 'love'," just because we don't want to be "mean" at PW.

In the large, I'm glad that the athmosphere here isn't as abrasive as it has been at times. For example, some of the answers to my very own first post here were that the piano I was looking at was overpriced by the full amount of the asking price, that a rebuild of it should start by discarding it, and that, yes, it was just furniture and that if I simply wanted a piano shaped object I could get one for less money. That was a little difficult to hear at the time--Mrs. Retsacnal and I were admittedly smitten with the piano--but the fact of the matter was that it was true, and the advice to avoid the piano was good advice. I'm glad that I didn't hear resounding choruses of "buy it if you love it."

I have at times championed the "let's not be so rude to newbies" cause here. But I also don't think we should avoid giving good advice simply to not be seen as mean or rude.

The OP asked a broad question: Is 5ft really just furniture? The answer to that question is not a clearcut "not any more." For most pianos in existence, a small piano is just a shortened bigger one, and that "design" doesn't work well. For some of the newer models that benefit from newer scale designs they are better, but they still have limitations as compared to larger pianos.

Anyway, I'm glad that the OP is happy with his decision, but most people who conduct a thorough, ongoing, no holds barred assessment such as he described will not conclude that the smallest and cheapest piano is the one that they like best. The OP has indicated that in actuality he has both space and price constraints, and if this is the best compromise given his constraints, then more power to him. I hope it serves him well. But it's not mean or rude to be honest about the nature of small pianos.

As usual 😁, you are quite correct. As long as the OP is well aware of “short piano shortcomings” (sorry couldn’t resist) but chooses to buy the piano anyway, we’ll give the OP sincere congratulations on buying a new piano. I hope he’s thrilled when it’s delivered and we get to see the pictures. Maybe in a few years he’ll be ready to upgrade or maybe not. I do wish him many happy hours playing his new piano.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

I'm going to re-address the contrarian viewpoint, because the OP is not the only one reading this (so far nearly 2000 reads, and they will continue over time). He didn't just ask if he should buy this piano that he loves. He asked a broader, overarching question, and I don't think the persisting answer to that should be "buy any piano that you 'love'," just because we don't want to be "mean" at PW.....

+1. There ARE good reasons, based on scientific principles, not to buy a 5 ft. piano, especially an older one. There is nothing wrong with pointing this out, and much right in doing so. The OP--and others with similar needs to his--should be making the decision with all the angles, good and bad, pointed out. Nothing mean in doing that.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I do not know what to say to Retsacnal's sincere yet focused comment. The Kawai grand I had was about 5'8". It was what I still base all grands on except for the large Steinway I played on occasionally at university for twice yearly exams.(I also played another of these on a few other occasions )My Kawai came no where near in tone or response. There have also been a few Yamahas and a C Bechstein which was wonderful.I have also played Boston,Schultz and Polman all larger than the OP's piano.
Recently I tried a Kawai GX,and the GL10.
That GL10 is only 5ft in size.It had a mellow tone (not so the GL5'2")but a small sound.BUT very well
balanced! (as long as you do not want to play some later Beethoven or Rachmaninoff pieces etc)
The "action" was totally crisp ,responsive and sensitive.The last two (mentioned)Gl series pianos were not as powerful in the bass or treble as a European 130 but I thought they were better tonally
than many 130 sized uprights.(other than European ones and a few others)
For the right person the instrument would do very well.So yes a 5ft grand makes perfect sense as well !
Congratulations on your lovely grand !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As I posted above, I don't want to dampen the OP's enthusiasm, but I feel like I've been beaten up on some by others for simply trying to give objective advice. .
The thing is: It wasn't objective advice. It was subjective advice. Nothing wrong with it, but I believe that people should not post their opinions as facts.

In this case, you mentioned that a small piano does not defy the laws of physics. That is correct, but applies to any physical entity on Earth. You then went on to talk about the "limitations" of small pianos. And that, in my opinion, is a subjective opinion. They are only limitations if you care about them.

So what if a bass sounds less powerful than what a big piano can produce? If the OP places little importance on the bass then it's not a limitation. Or to use another example: If someone is looking for a car to commute to work and occasionally travel, but only in areas where there are speed limitations, then the fact that the car can not drive at 200 mph or 300 km/h is not a limitation.

We could say that a big piano also has "limitations". It takes away more space, it is more expensive, it's harder to move, it might annoy the neighbors more... In the end, you decide what's important in a piano. And the OP apparently made the appropriate decision for them.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by patH
You then went on to talk about the "limitations" of small pianos. And that, in my opinion, is a subjective opinion. They are only limitations if you care about them.

The OP clearly cared about the issue of length. He predicated the whole thread on that question.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You then went on to talk about the "limitations" of small pianos. And that, in my opinion, is a subjective opinion. They are only limitations if you care about them.

The OP clearly cared about the issue of length. He predicated the whole thread on that question.

Exactly! The OP titled his thread: Re: Is 5ft really just furniture? That sure sounds like asking for opinions...

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Exactly! The OP titled his thread: Re: Is 5ft really just furniture? That sure sounds like asking for opinions...

Indeed.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

True. I never said otherwise. I am just wary of people presenting their opinion as "objective".
"Objectivity is the illusion that observations can be made without an observer." (author unknown)

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Yes but then unless we are all scientists where our main focus of study is" the social aspects of the piano" or "piano shaped furniture ",we cannot not help anyone !
When I was talking about pianos I had no scientific instruments to objectively measure with, I could
only relate what I had experienced as a person who has spent her life around pianos.(no not every single moment of my life ?)
I mean perhaps a robot or a computerized programm may give greater objectivity but I do not think
it will be popular ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/14/19 10:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L

True. I never said otherwise. I am just wary of people presenting their opinion as "objective".
"Objectivity is the illusion that observations can be made without an observer." (author unknown)

I know what you are saying but none of us on this thread could be perfectly objective !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I know what you are saying but none of us on this thread could be perfectly objective !
Which was exactly my point! smile

M
M
To the OP: There are certainly excellent pianos in the 5' range. Some of them will actually trump a 5'8" both in bass and treble - having said that, you might be better off just saving your pennies and investing into a larger instrument.

On another note, Steinberg is a stencil piano. The company was owned by one Frederik Steffes who aquired the company when Germany was unified. He marketed it with the same dishonest smok'n mirrors approach that still pervades parts of the piano industry today. It was one of the first companies to sell to a Chinese interest. Parson, a Chinese piano maker, bought them. No pianos today are built in Germany anymore - as far as I know.

Baldwin R (1962) - "Too many notes, dear Mozart" - "Exactly as many as necessary, your Majesty."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I ever buy a new acoustic grand (no way I can do this for at least the next few years) it would not be piano from Chinese company, even if it is built in Europe and has a tasty label. No bias against Chinese people - but I am very cautious about everything Chinese business has stake in. Corner cutting in in their genome.
And considering that there are offerings from two Japanese, few American, and many European companies - I do not see how this would limit my options.

Last edited by VladK; 09/17/19 06:16 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission