Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
97 registered members (anotherscott, AaronSF, Álvaro, 20/20 Vision, astrotoy, Arty Movie, agent8698, AZNpiano, akc42, 23 invisible), 6,125 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: initK] #2886943
09/04/19 02:00 PM
09/04/19 02:00 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by initK
Originally Posted by cmb13
And has nobody read The Count of Monte Cristo? Shocked no-one has commented.....as above, I think it was an absolute stand out among the list. It's under-recognized. Known to be a great but imo it should be atop the list.

I did! I did! I read it three times, first time when I was 10 years old, in class, holding it in my lap under the desk - I just couldn't put it down. And every time I read it, it leaves with the "ah, my favorite" and nothing feel good after for a while. I need to read it again, I guess. I don't remember much of it anymore, it's been a while. It's lucky with me - I seldom remember movies and books in details, so every time is the first time for me.

Wasn’t it the best!! Was that you in 50 First Dates?

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: cmb13] #2886947
09/04/19 02:12 PM
09/04/19 02:12 PM
Canada
initK Offline
initK  Offline

Canada
And has nobody read The Count of Monte Cristo? Shocked no-one has commented.....as above, I think it was an absolute stand out among the list. It's under-recognized. Known to be a great but imo it should be atop the list.

I did! I did! I read it three times, first time when I was 10 years old, in class, holding it in my lap under the desk - I just couldn't put it down. And every time I read it, it leaves with the "ah, my favorite" and nothing feel good after for a while. I need to read it again, I guess. I don't remember much of it anymore, it's been a while. It's lucky with me - I seldom remember movies and books in details, so every time is the first time for me.

Wasn’t it the best!! Was that you in 50 First Dates?

Well, maybe smile With movies I have an easy explanation though - I'm always doing something with my hands - painting, knitting, cooking, working on something with my hands. So, while "watching" movies together with my family, I'm also doing something else. To remember, you need to actually watch it.

I wish I remembered books better though, but I've been like that my entire life. First couple of years after reading a book, I would remember it in great detail, sometimes able to quote, but then it slowly fades. I read so much and now also listen to audiobooks, but for whatever reason, I cannot keep it up and available for easy recollection, it's like my RAM is full. It happens with music too and much faster actually.

Yamaha YDP-163
Back to playing piano in December 2018!
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: initK] #2886949
09/04/19 02:15 PM
09/04/19 02:15 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

it's like my RAM is full.

That's OK. My wife actually likes it that she has no memory - she says this way she doesn't stay mad about anything since soon, it's just gone. I on the other hand will run out of RAM sometime. I hope the failure mode will be graceful when it happens.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: malkin] #2886957
09/04/19 02:52 PM
09/04/19 02:52 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
It's okay I forgot that Bruce had replied my recommendation, and looking back I remember thinking it was cool he read it in French. And T.S. learned French just to read something or other. Then I looked up a movie for T.S. that Emily Van Camp was in and had forgotten what it was about. Had to rewatch the trailer. I've see a lot of movies, though, the Ratings List is over 750.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: cmb13] #2886960
09/04/19 03:10 PM
09/04/19 03:10 PM

6000 Post Club Member

It's okay I forgot that Bruce had replied my recommendation, and looking back I remember thinking it was cool he read it in French.

As one might expect of a French teacher smile

And T.S. learned French just to read something or other.

Proust. I also used my reading knowledge to translate some essays which were only in French on Proust, including one of the most important by Maurice Blanchot. I used it a little bit since. Learned Latin in French vis-à-vis Assimil. Other silly stuff. Some day, I will try to learn it properly if I relocate to Paris.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: KevinM] #2887128
09/05/19 07:15 AM
09/05/19 07:15 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by KevinM
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is one of my favourites.

I love David Mitchell, and this one especially. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet too.

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: barbaram] #2889920
09/13/19 11:09 AM
09/13/19 11:09 AM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I have tried reading W&P about 4 times, I can never get past about page 47.
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I read War and Peace last winter in the Briggs translation. I had a copy of the Maude translation that I looked at now and then. The side by side comparisons of the P&V and Briggs translations convinced me it was the Briggs I wanted. Maybe if I had an ounce of Russian language in my background I would have chosen the P&V. Agree Part 2 of the Epilogue should be skipped--or just read the first five pages and you've got the gist of the remainder.
Originally Posted by BruceD
I've read War and Peace twice, and this winter I will probably read it a third time. My current edition is translated by Louise and Aylmer Maude. They translated virtually all of Tolstoy's works for the Oxford University Press' Centenial Edition of Tolstoy (no slouch, the OP!) in the 1930's.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Stubbie. BruceD. We could form a War and Peace literary circle and all pretend we read the 2nd part of the epilogue! laugh
Originally Posted by barbaram
Love love love "War and Peace". A group of us did a readalong of it a few years back.

cmb13 just created a new book study thread for those who want to relive Napoleon's Russian Campaign through War and Peace!

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: malkin] #2890037
09/13/19 04:12 PM
09/13/19 04:12 PM
PA
Music Me Offline
500 Post Club Member
Music Me  Offline
500 Post Club Member

PA
Whats new? I started taking electric bass lessons! Always wanted to learn. My expectation is to have fun with it! So far, so good. A little difficult navigating the topography of the fretboard, after being used to the keyboard. Very different!

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: LarryK] #2890070
09/13/19 06:44 PM
09/13/19 06:44 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by LarryK
It stands to reason that we might not have War and Peace if Tolstoy had read the Greeks first. Imagine the suffering that could have been avoided. smile

You could recant, admit to having been misguided, and join us over there.

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2890076
09/13/19 07:10 PM
09/13/19 07:10 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City
It stands to reason that we might not have War and Peace if Tolstoy had read the Greeks first. Imagine the suffering that could have been avoided. smile

You could recant, admit to having been misguided, and join us over there.

I appreciate the invitation but I know when I've been beaten. Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

I'll take refuge in Russian short stories. I need to read all of Chekhov's stories. I have a complete collection published by Ecco a few years ago, translated by Constance Garnett, but so be it.

[Linked Image]

and I have this beautiful volume translated by Constance Garnett, Ilan Stavans, and Alexander Gurvets:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by LarryK; 09/13/19 07:12 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: LarryK] #2890089
09/13/19 08:28 PM
09/13/19 08:28 PM

6000 Post Club Member

I need to read all of Chekhov's stories. I have a complete collection published by Ecco a few years ago, translated by Constance Garnett, but so be it.

I do like Chekhov. My favorite is Dyadya Vanya. I've seen it live in the theatre in Moscow with Oleg Menshikov. But my favorite still is the Mosfilm film with Bondarchuk who also had directed the monumental W&P film.

(click "subtitles" for English)

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: malkin] #2890092
09/13/19 08:41 PM
09/13/19 08:41 PM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City

I do like Chekhov. My favorite is Dyadya Vanya. I've seen it live in the theatre in Moscow with Oleg Menshikov. But my favorite still is the Mosfilm film with Bondarchuk who also had directed the monumental W&P film.

Thanks for the links. I think Uncle Vanya is my favorite out of all his plays. Sonia’s monologue at the end is tremendously moving. The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard are also excellent.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: LarryK] #2890094
09/13/19 08:53 PM
09/13/19 08:53 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the links. I think Uncle Vanya is my favorite out of all his plays. Sonia’s monologue at the end is tremendously moving. The Seagull and The Cherry Orchard are also excellent.

Of those two, I prefer the Seagull, but neither is as good as Dyadya Vanya. Sonia's monologue is done wonderfully in the Mosfilm version. Her tone of voice is exactly right. Go have a listen with subtitles on.

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: malkin] #2890104
09/13/19 09:36 PM
09/13/19 09:36 PM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
My girlfriend and I visited a local teacher last night who we really like and felt was very qualified. We are excited to be taking lessons close to where we live now (I moved into her place this past weekend). She'll be starting from scratch with Faber Adult. I'm not quite sure what path I'll take it, continue with RCM or do something different. I'll still go to my old teacher as well when I can.

The Kawai acoustic piano gets tuned on Wednesday.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: So, what else is new? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2890112
09/13/19 11:04 PM
09/13/19 11:04 PM
Florida
cmb13 Offline

Silver Level
cmb13  Offline

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
....... (I moved into her place this past weekend)........

Oy!
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

The Kawai acoustic piano gets tuned on Wednesday.

Great!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions

Re: So, what else is new? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2890156
09/14/19 04:49 AM
09/14/19 04:49 AM
New York City
L
LarryK Online content
500 Post Club Member
LarryK  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

New York City

Of those two, I prefer the Seagull, but neither is as good as Dyadya Vanya. Sonia's monologue is done wonderfully in the Mosfilm version. Her tone of voice is exactly right. Go have a listen with subtitles on.

I liked what Louis Malle and David Mamet did with Uncle Vanya in the film Vanya on 42 St, with Wallace Shawn and Julianne Moore. Have you seen it? Here is the trailer:

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Finally Got Good Settings for My Casio GP-500
by Tenor1. 09/19/19 06:54 PM
How to present yourself....
by Duaner. 09/19/19 06:48 PM
Regulating WNG Action
by 20/20 Vision. 09/19/19 06:15 PM
advices for a starter - general questions
by brogh. 09/19/19 06:06 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,109
Posts2,871,137
Members94,457
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission