Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (anotherscott, AaronSF, Álvaro, 20/20 Vision, astrotoy, Arty Movie, agent8698, AZNpiano, akc42, 22 invisible), 5,790 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? #2889717
09/12/19 10:53 PM
09/12/19 10:53 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content OP
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content OP
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
As many of you know I have a Sauter 130 sized upright.
I know humidity related problems are not popular but since I live in Vancouver BC high humidity is a
problem.So we have a fairly powerful dehumidifier which we use for most of the year.
So for the past months we set the humidifier at 55. The hygrometers in the piano room measure between 50 and 56 depending if raining or sunny.When the heating is on in winter I will not
make use of the dehumidifier.There are a few times when the humidity will drop to 36 if there is snow.It can remain frozen for weeks,but only sometimes.
Like all Sauter pianos today the soundboard is "tropicalized " As Sauter has a strong market in
places like Singapore I presume this is the reason.I suppose this is a type of seasoning.Does this
mean I should use the dehumidifier even less ?
Can a humidifier dry out a soundboard too much ?The dehumidifier is not in the same room as the
piano .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/12/19 10:56 PM. Reason: Missing word
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2889724
09/12/19 11:16 PM
09/12/19 11:16 PM
VladK Offline
VladK  Offline

From my classical guitar experience, where thin french polished soundboards are more sensitive to humidity fluctuations than much thicker and mostly coated piano wood, I would be very concerned when humidity drops below RH 40 - the wook can develop cracks. I would run humidifier to keep RH at at least 40 to be safe - should not be something hard to do in BC where winters are not very cold I assume. Summer RH in the 50-56 range is perfect.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner.
Yamaha P-515, P-80, HS8, Sennheiser HD 650
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2889728
09/12/19 11:36 PM
09/12/19 11:36 PM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
You need to use both a humidifier and a dehumidifier. Your winter temperatures are mild enough that you can probably keep your humidity at 50% without any condensation on windows or walls, but that depends on the age and construction of your home. So you need to run your dehumidifier when the indoor humidity rises above 50-55%, and you need to run the humidifier when it falls below 50%. To answer your question, the things I have seen in writing from manufacturers indicate that 40% is the lowest humidity the piano should be exposed to. For example the manual that came with my Kawai specifies 40-70%RH.
We sometimes have extremely cold weather in the winter in the Chicago area (-20F to -30F). During those extremely cold periods I allow the RH in my piano room to fall to 40% to avoid condensation on the walls. But when the temp rises to above about 15F I am able to maintain 45-50% without any condensation problems. Generally I try to maintain 40-50% all winter, and 50-55% all summer.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2889826
09/13/19 08:10 AM
09/13/19 08:10 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Maybe my situation is different, but we only use a dehumidifier all year round. It has never affected our pianos tunings etc... We would never, ever, use a humidifier in our area.

[Linked Image]
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2889851
09/13/19 09:03 AM
09/13/19 09:03 AM
Chernobieff Piano Offline
Chernobieff Piano  Offline

I would be interested in what is meant by "the soundboard is tropicalized"? Usually Tropicalized refers to the metal parts of a piano to avoid rust. And perhaps chemically treated felt and wood to avoid bug infestation. If Sauter is using plywood panels and calling that Tropicalized, i would just find that to be a humourous marketing campaign.

Regarding humidity the only real concern is not to go below the install EMC%, and to keep it as constant throughout the year as much as possible.
-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2889903
09/13/19 10:24 AM
09/13/19 10:24 AM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
Chris, what is "the install EMC%" ?

Back to LadyBird's question, I would say if you don't have the dehumidifier in the same room as the piano, and you're monitoring the humidity levels in the piano room, you should be fine. Concerns would arise if you had the dehumidifier in the same room *and* the blower was facing the piano, or if you were over-dehumidifying in that room. I have a medium sized dehumidifier in the piano room, but the air blower on it does not point toward the piano. I also monitor it, and it pretty much never gets below 50% in the spring and summer.

Now that I have a new (to me) grand, what I'm worried about is the winter months, especially since this will be our first winter in this house, so I don't yet know how the hvac will perform. In our rental, the humidity would drop below 40% in the winter, usually I think it sat around 35% for about two months. That was with my upright, which somehow seemed not to care?? But I think I'll have a heart attack if I can't keep the winter humidity up above 40% for my YamahaC2!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2889909
09/13/19 10:34 AM
09/13/19 10:34 AM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
Wood takes on humidity much quicker than it gives it out. About fives times faster. So if one has a dry spell for a few days the wood will not move as quickly as a humid pulse. A few hours of high humidity will change it noticeably. A few hours of dry will not move it at all. That is why the damp chaser dehumidifier system with a humidistat control is a good start in stabilizing the piano environment.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Chernobieff Piano] #2889959
09/13/19 12:28 PM
09/13/19 12:28 PM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I would be interested in what is meant by "the soundboard is tropicalized"? Usually Tropicalized refers to the metal parts of a piano to avoid rust. And perhaps chemically treated felt and wood to avoid bug infestation. If Sauter is using plywood panels and calling that Tropicalized, i would just find that to be a humourous marketing campaign.

Regarding humidity the only real concern is not to go below the install EMC%, and to keep it as constant throughout the year as much as possible.
-chris

Sauter have been calling thier soundboards tropicalized for a long time.There are many reference on
PW which have mentioned it.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/13/19 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2889975
09/13/19 01:10 PM
09/13/19 01:10 PM
J
Jethro Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jethro  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Wood takes on humidity much quicker than it gives it out. About fives times faster. So if one has a dry spell for a few days the wood will not move as quickly as a humid pulse. A few hours of high humidity will change it noticeably. A few hours of dry will not move it at all. That is why the damp chaser dehumidifier system with a humidistat control is a good start in stabilizing the piano environment.

That's very interesting in regards to wood/humidity movement. I have a dampchaser dehumidifier on my RX-2. How exactly does it work? I understand the heated bar is supposed to dry the air around the soundboard. Does that work because the heated bar is drying out the moisture or is it because it is pushing the humidity away from the sound board towards the more cooler air around the piano. I recently encapsulated my walkable Florida crawlspace because I wanted more storage room. They recommend in the south east we close our crawlspace vents because the cooler air attracts moisture. So I am assuming with the dampchaser the unit is trying to heat the air close to the soundboard to push moisture away from it. I'm on the fence whether I should install one in my Shigeru Kawai. The room is always conditioned and I have a room dehumidifier in the same general area of acoustic grand. My technician didn't recommend one because he felt they couldn't do what they claim to do. Is there any research backing its effectiveness?

Last edited by Jethro; 09/13/19 01:12 PM.

Shigeru Kawai SK2 (2019), Kawai RX-2 (2007), Young Chang (1982), Kawai VPC-1 (2019), Yamaha P80 (2001), Korg C-50 (1995) , Roland Juno 1 (1988), Korg Poly 61 (1986), Lowrey Symphonic Holiday (1975)
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: NobleHouse] #2890002
09/13/19 02:10 PM
09/13/19 02:10 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Maybe my situation is different, but we only use a dehumidifier all year round. It has never affected our pianos tunings etc... We would never, ever, use a humidifier in our area.
We do. In the winter, when the furnace runs, the RH drops considerably. Have you measured your RH in the winter? Does your furnace run?

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Stubbie] #2890027
09/13/19 03:38 PM
09/13/19 03:38 PM
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
We do. In the winter, when the furnace runs, the RH drops considerably. Have you measured your RH in the winter? Does your furnace run?

We only have a heat pump, and the humidity is high all year round in our neck of the Ozarks, hence the dehumidifier only.

[Linked Image]
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2890050
09/13/19 05:04 PM
09/13/19 05:04 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Online content
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I know humidity related problems are not popular but since I live in Vancouver BC high humidity is a
problem.So we have a fairly powerful dehumidifier which we use for most of the year.
So for the past months we set the humidifier at 55. The hygrometers in the piano room measure between 50 and 56 depending if raining or sunny.When the heating is on in winter I will not
make use of the dehumidifier.There are a few times when the humidity will drop to 36 if there is snow.It can remain frozen for weeks,but only sometimes.
Like all Sauter pianos today the soundboard is "tropicalized " As Sauter has a strong market in
places like Singapore I presume this is the reason.I suppose this is a type of seasoning.Does this
Can a humidifier dry out a soundboard too much ?The dehumidifier is not in the same room as the
piano .

Get a Dampp Chaser system for your upright, and you won't have to worry about it anymore. The Dampp Chaser system works especially well on uprights as the entire sound board is enclosed in the box of the case. Dampp Chaser will keep that environment at a constant 42% relative humidity. Then your piano will not be subject to the vagaries of the relative humidity in the room. Easy.

August Förster 215
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2890057
09/13/19 05:44 PM
09/13/19 05:44 PM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Chernobieff,
Here the term" tropicalized " is used as the same process as seasoning.Yamaha pianos are discussed.Norbert who for many years was the authorised dealer of Sauter pianos in Vancouver
discusses the tropicalized soundboards of Sauter (and Hamburg Steinway) pianos.
This post is from a 2005 thread.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/210725.html

Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: AaronSF] #2890062
09/13/19 06:02 PM
09/13/19 06:02 PM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by AaronSF
piano .

Get a Dampp Chaser system for your upright, and you won't have to worry about it anymore. The Dampp Chaser system works especially well on uprights as the entire sound board is enclosed in the box of the case. Dampp Chaser will keep that environment at a constant 42% relative humidity. Then your piano will not be subject to the vagaries of the relative humidity in the room. Easy.

I would be rather nervous with a damp chaser because yes,when I enquired about one last fall was told that the humidity would kept at 43%
In other words at perfection in humidity for wood.(all wood)
It makes me think of "Icaris flying too close to the sun" .This is probably just me and my sometime feeling of gloom and ???
Whether European Alpine soundboards have greater fragility I do not know ?

Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2890083
09/13/19 07:49 PM
09/13/19 07:49 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

San Jose, CA
"...told that the humidity would kept at 43% In other words at perfection in humidity for wood.(all wood) It makes me think of "Icaris flying too close to the sun" .This is probably just me and my sometime feeling of gloom and ??? Whether European Alpine soundboards have greater fragility I do not know ?"

Well, it would seem that you are flying a bit close to the sun, if you call trying to reach perfection of ambient humidity control using a humidifier, a dehumidifier, multiple hygrometers, and now a damp chaser.... and you're still not happy. I almost hate to tell you that a whole-house humidity control system is considered the real gold standard. Better put a little sunscreen on, at least, on your nose. There is very little improvement available, besides what you're already doing.

Remember, the piano was brought into being in central Europe--- think of weather conditions there. The piano was invented to thrive, come what may. And conditions were hardly better in princely homes, heated by fireplaces for their salons, where the great and good, all breathing out water vapor were entertained and the chandelier was invented (with real candles, and servants to see to them). And as for your "fragile" soundboard, think of the alpine woods in winter, and the rigors of their very source, jealously restricted from overharvesting, protected by law, with inspectors right there on the mountain when the trees are cut. A soundboard can be mistreated--- like anything else--- but they are very strong.

And, you've had the very best of advice already, right here. You are doing such a good job--- it must be a lot of work to attend to all the devices and gauges. All your worry is not going to make it much better. Don't let the sun of a nearly-unattainable perfection of ideal, constant relative humidity, melt the wings off your enjoyment of your nice piano. Play more, worry less. Resolve to have an additional service call from your piano tech, in the course of the year, and ask him about this issue. Shove it all off on your tech! I assure you, if there are any warning signs, he will be your bank of seismometers, ready to tell you if there have been any earthquakes in your music room.

Clef

Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2890085
09/13/19 08:02 PM
09/13/19 08:02 PM
B
Bosendorff Offline
500 Post Club Member
Bosendorff  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

I would be rather nervous with a damp chaser because yes,when I enquired about one last fall was told that the humidity would kept at 43%
In other words at perfection in humidity for wood.(all wood) It makes me think of "Icaris flying too close to the sun" .

There is nothing to be scared with using a Dampp Chaser (DC) system, since indeed it will keep the relative humidity (RH) % quite constant near the soundboard, despite what happens farther in the piano room. It's not the particular RH % which is the most important, it's how stable it stays throughout the seasons. A grand piano kept at a constant RH of 43 % or 57 % all year long will be better protected and will hold its tunings better compared to one where RH varies from 36 to 56 %.

Also, for any piano there is the RH very close to its soundboard and the RH elsewhere in the piano room. Keeping both as stable as possible is of course better. Where I live RH in the piano room can vary from 35 % to 70 %. With a DC system, tunings stay much more stable and it protects my grand throughout the seasons. YMMV

Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Jeff Clef] #2890098
09/13/19 09:02 PM
09/13/19 09:02 PM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...told that the humidity would kept at 43% In other words at perfection in humidity for wood.(all wood) It makes me think of "Icaris flying too close to the sun" .This is probably just me and my sometime feeling of gloom and ??? Whether European Alpine soundboards have greater fragility I do not know ?"

Well, it would seem that you are flying a bit close to the sun, if you call trying to reach perfection of ambient humidity control using a humidifier, a dehumidifier, multiple hygrometers, and now a damp chaser.... and you're still not happy. I almost hate to tell you that a whole-house humidity control system is considered the real gold standard. Better put a little sunscreen on, at least, on your nose. There is very little improvement available, besides what you're already doing.

Remember, the piano was brought into being in central Europe--- think of weather conditions there. The piano was invented to thrive, come what may. And conditions were hardly better in princely homes, heated by fireplaces for their salons, where the great and good, all breathing out water vapor were entertained and the chandelier was invented (with real candles, and servants to see to them). And as for your "fragile" soundboard, think of the alpine woods in winter, and the rigors of their very source, jealously restricted from overharvesting, protected by law, with inspectors right there on the mountain when the trees are cut. A soundboard can be mistreated--- like anything else--- but they are very strong.

And, you've had the very best of advice already, right here. You are doing such a good job--- it must be a lot of work to attend to all the devices and gauges. All your worry is not going to make it much better. Don't let the sun of a nearly-unattainable perfection of ideal, constant relative humidity, melt the wings off your enjoyment of your nice piano. Play more, worry less. Resolve to have an additional service call from your piano tech, in the course of the year, and ask him about this issue. Shove it all off on your tech! I assure you, if there are any warning signs, he will be your bank of seismometers, ready to tell you if there have been any earthquakes in your music room.

Thanks you are correct .,I do worry about things too much ! The piano keeps it's tuning very well but
am having a full service soon with an independent technician. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 09/13/19 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2890100
09/13/19 09:09 PM
09/13/19 09:09 PM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT

Good to know !

Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2890111
09/13/19 10:44 PM
09/13/19 10:44 PM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
Jeff the Clef,
I do NOT have a damp chaser ! Yes I have 3 digital hygrometers (first one only works well below 50%)The other 2 more or less agree.Yes there is one inside the piano as well.When it comes to
hygrometers as you should know.......?
Yes as I said a dehumidifier.Because the Vancouver climate is" a temperate rain forest" yes quite
important although I never used any dehumidfiers on any of my pianos in the past.

Re: Can a dehumidifier be bad for a piano ? [Re: Lady Bird] #2890136
09/14/19 01:42 AM
09/14/19 01:42 AM
North Vancouver
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
There seem to be a number of us flying too close to the sun on quite a few threads lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Finally Got Good Settings for My Casio GP-500
by Tenor1. 09/19/19 06:54 PM
How to present yourself....
by Duaner. 09/19/19 06:48 PM
Regulating WNG Action
by 20/20 Vision. 09/19/19 06:15 PM
advices for a starter - general questions
by brogh. 09/19/19 06:06 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,109
Posts2,871,137
Members94,457
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission