Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (anotherscott, AaronSF, Álvaro, 20/20 Vision, astrotoy, Arty Movie, agent8698, AZNpiano, akc42, 22 invisible), 5,790 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2889662
09/12/19 08:51 PM
09/12/19 08:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,843
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,843
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
How I wished people would have said something when I started to lose weight like nobody's business. Maybe I would've gotten treatment earlier, and would be in a different place now.

I hope you have gotten treatment now!

I know one couple where the wife either has a serious glandular problem or is anorexic, and I wonder if the husband has ever intervened in any way. Because it just seems terribly wrong. But I must admit, possibly the problem in your case is society as a whole frowns on people commenting on other people's weight, and doubly so if it is a man commenting on a woman's weight.

BTW, my late wife was anorexic. And yes, I intervened multiple times but she was very good at hiding the things she would do to reduce the calorie count to zero. But she ended up dying - anorexia was one of the complicating factors. It's a very difficult problem to address. She was 5'10" tall and under 100 lbs when she died.



I am so sorry to hear that Tyrone. That really must have been difficult on you and your family!


[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: NobleHouse] #2889701
09/12/19 10:31 PM
09/12/19 10:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 6,262
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 6,262
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I’m sorry about your late wife. Anorexia is so tough to treat. It’s not like you can throw meds at it.

Yeah. No meds that I know of, at least.

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I’m healthy now. Very grateful for that. smile

That's wonderful to hear! thumb

Originally Posted by KevinM
I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been so tough on all concerned at the time Tyrone.
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I am so sorry to hear that Tyrone. That really must have been difficult on you and your family!

Thanks. It was especially tough for me because it came shortly after our son died. And I had a 2yo to single-parent. After our son died, she essentially drank herself to death. But her actual death was because her body couldn't handle both the alcohol and anorexia at the same time. A lot of time has passed though - this was 27 years ago...


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2889768
09/13/19 04:09 AM
09/13/19 04:09 AM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 702
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Online content
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
K

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 702
Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[
Originally Posted by KevinM
I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been so tough on all concerned at the time Tyrone.
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I am so sorry to hear that Tyrone. That really must have been difficult on you and your family!

Thanks. It was especially tough for me because it came shortly after our son died. And I had a 2yo to single-parent. After our son died, she essentially drank herself to death. But her actual death was because her body couldn't handle both the alcohol and anorexia at the same time. A lot of time has passed though - this was 27 years ago...


I don't really know what to say. Times doesn't really heal, it does however fill your life with other stuff to think about. I just hope you are not hard on yourself in relation to anything about it.

My trite advise so often is, be kind to yourself.


Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2889810
09/13/19 07:22 AM
09/13/19 07:22 AM
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,217
Moscow, Russia
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Iaroslav Vasiliev  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1,217
Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I’m sorry about your late wife. Anorexia is so tough to treat. It’s not like you can throw meds at it.

Yeah. No meds that I know of, at least.

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
I’m healthy now. Very grateful for that. smile

That's wonderful to hear! thumb

Originally Posted by KevinM
I'm sorry to hear that, it must have been so tough on all concerned at the time Tyrone.
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I am so sorry to hear that Tyrone. That really must have been difficult on you and your family!

Thanks. It was especially tough for me because it came shortly after our son died. And I had a 2yo to single-parent. After our son died, she essentially drank herself to death. But her actual death was because her body couldn't handle both the alcohol and anorexia at the same time. A lot of time has passed though - this was 27 years ago...

This is a heartbreaking story. I can hardly imagine your state at that time. I guess it was your little child who helped you to live.

Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2889841
09/13/19 08:39 AM
09/13/19 08:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 6,262
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 6,262
Originally Posted by KevinM
I don't really know what to say. Times doesn't really heal, it does however fill your life with other stuff to think about. I just hope you are not hard on yourself in relation to anything about it.

My trite advise so often is, be kind to yourself.
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
This is a heartbreaking story. I can hardly imagine your state at that time. I guess it was your little child who helped you to live.

Thanks. Time has helped both of us. I do remember sitting down in a playground and having to explain to my daughter how mommy had gone to heaven to take care of her brother, when she asked me when mommy would be back... yep. True.

But with regard to anorexia, I am convinced to this day that it was her profession and its pressures. That profession is a lot more forgiving today than it was 27 years ago.


across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2889884
09/13/19 10:00 AM
09/13/19 10:00 AM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 332
Texas
Dr. Rogers Offline
Full Member
Dr. Rogers  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 332
Texas
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I do remember sitting down in a playground and having to explain to my daughter how mommy had gone to heaven to take care of her brother, when she asked me when mommy would be back... yep. True.


Ouch. I can't think of anything more terrible than that.


Austin Rogers, PhD
Music Teacher in Austin, TX
Baldwin SD-10 Concert Grand "Kuroneko", Baldwin Upright, Yamaha P-255
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2890035
09/13/19 04:06 PM
09/13/19 04:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,843
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,843
In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by KevinM
I don't really know what to say. Times doesn't really heal, it does however fill your life with other stuff to think about. I just hope you are not hard on yourself in relation to anything about it.

My trite advise so often is, be kind to yourself.
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
This is a heartbreaking story. I can hardly imagine your state at that time. I guess it was your little child who helped you to live.

Thanks. Time has helped both of us. I do remember sitting down in a playground and having to explain to my daughter how mommy had gone to heaven to take care of her brother, when she asked me when mommy would be back... yep. True.

But with regard to anorexia, I am convinced to this day that it was her profession and its pressures. That profession is a lot more forgiving today than it was 27 years ago.



This tugs at my heart just reading this!


[Linked Image]
Re: Addressing an older student's cognitive decline [Re: u38cg] #2890384
09/14/19 05:47 PM
09/14/19 05:47 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 924
Fort Frances, On Canada
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member
BeccaBb  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 924
Fort Frances, On Canada
I am a person with cognitive impairment. I've recently discovered that logging each and every practice is very helpful. By writing down what day I practiced on, what I did and how I feel I did I am finally able to move forward with piano. I don't remember from one day to the next what I've done, but can now remember to write it down! Invaluable. I can't even begin to express how much a difference this is making.

So my point is, whether you want to say something or not, little things like logging every practice makes a big difference. Perhaps you could try similar things? Best of luck to you and your student. I hope you find a solution that helps.


Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Finally Got Good Settings for My Casio GP-500
by Tenor1. 09/19/19 06:54 PM
How to present yourself....
by Duaner. 09/19/19 06:48 PM
Regulating WNG Action
by 20/20 Vision. 09/19/19 06:15 PM
advices for a starter - general questions
by brogh. 09/19/19 06:06 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,109
Posts2,871,137
Members94,457
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1