Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (AaronSF, Álvaro, 20/20 Vision, astrotoy, anotherscott, Arty Movie, agent8698, AZNpiano, akc42, 20 invisible), 5,437 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
advice regarding bench choice #2889877
09/13/19 09:48 AM
09/13/19 09:48 AM
U.K.
5150917069 Offline OP
5150917069  Offline OP

U.K.
Hi all, first time poster here, so please let me know if I'm breaking any rules or guidelines.

I have taken up piano a couple of years ago, I'm by no means a good player but I am committed to an average hour of daily study (sometimes more like 20 minutes, sometimes more like 4 hours...). I practice with a digital piano laid on a Stagg MXS-A1 stand, adjustable in discreet increments, which has room for my legs under the keyboard like an acoustic.

Until now, I've tried sitting on a number of chairs, stools, coffee tables etc. -- whatever may have been lying about near my piano at any given point. I have not found a combination of seat & stand height where I'm entirely comfortable to play: I always feel like I seat a little too high or too low. Depending on which, I develop pain in my forearm, wrists or hands as I practice so I want to get an adjustable bench.

Another issue I have is that I tend to work on two or three pieces simultaneously at all times, often from different books. Plus finger drill books and ad-hoc printed sheet, my practice space is getting unacceptably messy. I don't want to put sheets that I'm actively practicing away in a drawer because I have learned that when I do, I generally forget about them and stop practicing them. So I also want a bench with a music storage compartment.

Given the amount of enjoyment I have been getting from playing, I expect to keep it up for the rest of my life and a Jansen bench does not feel completely indulgent given their proven durability. (I am particularly attracted to the "petite" range, which has best dimensions for my practice room and (to my mind) looks the best.)

Now, questions:
  • Unfortunately Jansen don't seem to make benches with music storage, I guess it's not really their market. But they offer the "imported" J850 which comes only in black and, sadly, I find a bit ugly personally. Could anyone clarify what "imported" entails? (Same wood as their own make? Same height adjustment mechanism? made where, how? etc.)
  • I would appreciate informed advice possible alternatives to a Jansen that matches with my situation and requirements. What would you suggest?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2889887
09/13/19 10:06 AM
09/13/19 10:06 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by 5150917069
Another issue I have is that I tend to work on two or three pieces simultaneously at all times, often from different books. Plus finger drill books and ad-hoc printed sheet, my practice space is getting unacceptably messy. I don't want to put sheets that I'm actively practicing away in a drawer because I have learned that when I do, I generally forget about them and stop practicing them. So I also want a bench with a music storage compartment.

Given the amount of enjoyment I have been getting from playing, I expect to keep it up for the rest of my life and a Jansen bench does not feel completely indulgent given their proven durability. (I am particularly attracted to the "petite" range, which has best dimensions for my practice room and (to my mind) looks the best.)

Now, questions:
  • Unfortunately Jansen don't seem to make benches with music storage, I guess it's not really their market. But they offer the "imported" J850 which comes only in black and, sadly, I find a bit ugly personally. Could anyone clarify what "imported" entails? (Same wood as their own make? Same height adjustment mechanism? made where, how? etc.)
  • I would appreciate informed advice possible alternatives to a Jansen that matches with my situation and requirements. What would you suggest?

Welcome to PW, 5150917069. A tangential thoughts - have you considered getting rid of the loose sheets and either going to a tablet system (such as with forScore, for example) or a system where all loose sheets live in a binder? A single binder could nicely go on a shelf or be placed somewhere without it looking messy.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2889896
09/13/19 10:19 AM
09/13/19 10:19 AM
USA
J
JJHLH Online content
JJHLH  Online Content
J

USA
Hi 5150917069 and welcome to Piano World!

I don’t have a direct answer to your question, unfortunately. I started playing about 6 months ago and similar to you I found out quickly that I needed a better bench if I was going to practice two or more hours every day. It needed to be comfortable and adjustable. The Jansen Artist Bench received rave reviews so I bought one. All I can say is that the reviews are spot on; it’s amazingly comfortable and well-built. It’s a lifelong tool for sure, and I don’t think you can do better than to purchase one. Unfortunately the disadvantages are that it is expensive and doesn’t have a space for sheet music.

I started out buying sheet music and books but quickly learned that a 12.9 inch iPad Pro works much better for me. I download classical music scores from https://imslp.org/ for free since the copyright has long since expired on most of these works. I load them into the forScore app and use the crop function in that app the get rid of any unnecessary margins so the music is easy to read. I actually find it much easier to read on my large iPad than the original sheet music, with the added benefit of being able to play in a dimly lit room and the convenience of storing tons of music without taking up space. That was the best solution for me so I thought I would at least tell you about it in case you haven’t considered that option yet.

Best of luck!

Yamaha N1X, P-515. Garritan CFX. Genelec 8331 monitors.
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: JJHLH] #2889917
09/13/19 10:56 AM
09/13/19 10:56 AM
U.K.
5150917069 Offline OP
5150917069  Offline OP

U.K.
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
A tangential thoughts - have you considered getting rid of the loose sheets and either going to a tablet system (such as with forScore, for example) or a system where all loose sheets live in a binder?

Originally Posted by JJHLH
I started out buying sheet music and books but quickly learned that a 12.9 inch iPad Pro works much better for me. I download classical music scores from https://imslp.org/ for free since the copyright has long since expired on most of these works.

First of all, thanks for you answers!

Maybe I should also mention that I am a Software Engineer by trade, and spend upwards from 8 hours a day looking at a screen. One of my reasons for taking up piano is to spend some sort of detox time away from the screen, so I ruled out any screen-based music sheets despite all the benefits they present and which you both mention.

I mostly work off a number of books (Mikrokosmos, Notbuchlein fur Anna Magdalena, Hannon, etc.) that take up space but wont fit in a binder. Having said that, I do download the odd sheet from IMSLP (what a fantastic resource!) and -- quite right -- I will take your advice and gather them in a binder, that'll be neater!

Last edited by 5150917069; 09/13/19 10:59 AM.
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2889918
09/13/19 11:05 AM
09/13/19 11:05 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Not clear from your post, but make sure the height of your digital matches that of a traditional acoustic. If you eventually get an acoustic, take lessons, or have a chance to play on other pianos, you will be working from a standardized height. Any adjustable bench you purchase will be sized to be adjustable within that height as well. There are a number of threads that have addressed how high one should sit and the angle (or lack thereof) of one's forearm with the floor. A padded, adjustable bench is a purchase you will not regret.

My solution for dealing with numerous books and sheets is to have a stack of stacking trays against the wall next to where the piano sits. I can reach the stack from the bench. One style of stacking tray. Stuff not in active use goes in a bookcase elsewhere in the room. My bench has storage in the seat, but I don't use that space--like you said, out of sight, out of mind.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2889922
09/13/19 11:11 AM
09/13/19 11:11 AM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
I mostly work off a number of books (Mikrokosmos, Notbuchlein fur Anna Magdalena, Hannon, etc.) that take up space but wont fit in a binder.

They will if you make copies (copy option on printer ?) of the page(s) you are presently working with.

They other advantage of "copies" is that you can write notes on them.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Edifier R1850DB Active Bookshelf Speakers, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2889946
09/13/19 12:05 PM
09/13/19 12:05 PM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
To the OP (5150917069, that's hard to remember!)

I just -- literally, about 3 weeks ago -- bought this bench from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WMPXMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (click on most recent reviews to read mine, I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because the vinyl looks obviously cheap)

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I bought this because I can't afford a real Jansen bench yet (I just spent all my money on my new-to-me grand piano!). This one was about $80. If you need an adjustable bench, this is definitely a reasonable option. I don't remember how deep the storage space under the seat is, because I have a shelf by my piano for music stuff, and two other shelves in the house for overflow music books. If you like, I can measure it when I go home, but if memory serves, it's not deep enough to store very much.

In any case, I recommend you figure out a way to have your music on a shelf rather than rely on bench-storage, because even a deeper storage space will be more limited than a shelf, and having your music on a shelf will make it easier to see what you have, what's where etc.

Good luck and let us know what you end up purchasing.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: ShiroKuro] #2889949
09/13/19 12:07 PM
09/13/19 12:07 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
In any case, I recommend you figure out a way to have your music on a shelf rather than rely on bench-storage, because even a deeper storage space will be more limited than a shelf, and having your music on a shelf will make it easier to see what you have, what's where etc.

+1

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2890029
09/13/19 03:44 PM
09/13/19 03:44 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

+1

+2 Have to agree with this advice.

[Linked Image]
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2890840
09/16/19 04:54 AM
09/16/19 04:54 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

+3 - bench storage will always be v limited and in my opinion it will suffer from the same "out of sight" problem as a shelf anyway

I have a magazine folder (something like THIS) right beside my piano for music I want tidy but not "put away" and a shelf or so on a bookcase in the room for the music that is put away for now.
Even so, I find that the 3 or 4 pieces I am really actively working on generally stay out on the stand or on the piano.

Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: barbaram] #2890878
09/16/19 07:39 AM
09/16/19 07:39 AM
U.K.
5150917069 Offline OP
5150917069  Offline OP

U.K.
Thanks for the new answers over the weekend.

Originally Posted by barbaram
Even so, I find that the 3 or 4 pieces I am really actively working on generally stay out on the stand or on the piano.

So do I! This is precisely why I want in-bench music storage. But the consensus so far seems to be that it's a fad and won't actually solve my problem. Out of curiosity, are there people here that use in-bench storage and wouldn't do without it? If yes, why?

Secondly, I had my eyes on a discounted Jansen that was priced very reasonably, but I've realised the shop was based in the U.S and shipping + import duty would be excessive. Is there a retailer for Jansen in Europe, preferably in the U.K ? If not, which brands are available in Europe and equally trust-worthy?

Last edited by 5150917069; 09/16/19 07:40 AM.
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2890882
09/16/19 07:52 AM
09/16/19 07:52 AM
Twin cities MN US
pianosuzemn Offline

Silver Subscriber
pianosuzemn  Offline

Silver Subscriber

Twin cities MN US
There doesn't seem to be a piano bench that is deep enough to hold all of my music. I do like to have a little storage in the bench, but it's entirely unnecessary because no matter what, I've got music spilling out all over and everywhere! I purchased an adjustable bench for my digital piano (and right now I'm "stuck" with a traditional hard wood bench for my acoustic piano). My adjustable padded bench is similar to the inexpensive one posted above, from amazon. It has been fantastic, and even though it's not a high end one, it feels great and does a perfect job. I'd jump at the lower cost bench, and if you eventually want the expensive one, after yet another year or two, I'd consider it. (Just my two cents).

[Linked Image]
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2890974
09/16/19 01:00 PM
09/16/19 01:00 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Offline
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Is there a retailer for Jansen in Europe, preferably in the U.K ? If not, which brands are available in Europe and equally trust-worthy?

Hidrau benches are popular in Europe. They have a reputation for excellent quality, and are priced accordingly.

Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2891006
09/16/19 03:05 PM
09/16/19 03:05 PM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
5150917069, sorry I didn't realize you were in the UK. I can't help with that, but good luck in any case!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2891034
09/16/19 03:53 PM
09/16/19 03:53 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
[...]So do I! This is precisely why I want in-bench music storage. But the consensus so far seems to be that it's a fad and won't actually solve my problem. Out of curiosity, are there people here that use in-bench storage and wouldn't do without it? If yes, why?
[...]

Make sure that you test the quality of the under-the-seat storage. In some cases these benches have storage bottoms that are made either of heavy cardboard or light plywood. With a few hefty volumes stored in them, those bottoms begin to sag. If they are attached only with staples ... well, you can guess the outcome.

Remember, too, that storage space is minimal in many of these benches.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2891050
09/16/19 04:34 PM
09/16/19 04:34 PM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Thanks for the new answers over the weekend.

Originally Posted by barbaram

So do I! This is precisely why I want in-bench music storage. But the consensus so far seems to be that it's a fad and won't actually solve my problem. Out of curiosity, are there people here that use in-bench storage and wouldn't do without it? If yes, why?
?

In my previous lifetime. I had a bench with storage but switched to an adjustable height bench, which is more useful. I fo have cabinets for scores but keep ‘music in progress’ in a large decorative metal tub next to the piano. It has worked better than bench storage for me as I do not need to get up to switch music and the storage capability is higher. I think the bucket was made for a fireplace

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2891083
09/16/19 05:45 PM
09/16/19 05:45 PM
H
huaidongxi Online content
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H

wooden wine boxes, which have the same interior width as scores, are ideal for me. the scores are upright and thumbing through them is quick and simple, like going through the bins of record shops in the bygone days of vinyl lp's.

Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2891092
09/16/19 05:56 PM
09/16/19 05:56 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Online content
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
I found 6 very reasonably priced benches with music storage at Thomann in Germany. Here's a link:

Thomann Piano Benches with Storage

Take a look at all their benches while you're at their website. Of course prices and availability may change a bit should Brexit finally become a reality.

August Förster 215
Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: AaronSF] #2891652
Yesterday at 11:42 AM
Yesterday at 11:42 AM
U.K.
5150917069 Offline OP
5150917069  Offline OP

U.K.
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
like going through the bins of record shops in the bygone days of vinyl lp's.

I like the wine box idea! (FWIW, I love record shopping and still do a fair bit of it.)

Originally Posted by AaronSF
Of course prices and availability may change a bit should Brexit finally become a reality.

Hence why I'm trying to get this sorted ASAP...

Originally Posted by johnstaf
Hidrau benches are popular in Europe. They have a reputation for excellent quality, and are priced accordingly.

I found 6 very reasonably priced benches with music storage at Thomann in Germany.

I had a quick look at the Hidrau and they do seem like a good alternative to Jansen products -- thanks for that. It looks like for most people have found that other music storage system more functional than in-bench. With that kind of feedback, I'm now thinking of getting just a cheap bench from Thomann, using a tray or something to keep my sheets, and see how I get along for couple of years. If I'm satisfied, I can upgrade the bench then. At least I won't be hurting myself anymore, which is my main concern.

Re: advice regarding bench choice [Re: 5150917069] #2891779
Yesterday at 05:02 PM
Yesterday at 05:02 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Online content
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
like going through the bins of record shops in the bygone days of vinyl lp's.

I like the wine box idea! (FWIW, I love record shopping and still do a fair bit of it.)

Of course prices and availability may change a bit should Brexit finally become a reality.

Hence why I'm trying to get this sorted ASAP...

Originally Posted by johnstaf

I found 6 very reasonably priced benches with music storage at Thomann in Germany.

I had a quick look at the Hidrau and they do seem like a good alternative to Jansen products -- thanks for that. It looks like for most people have found that other music storage system more functional than in-bench. With that kind of feedback, I'm now thinking of getting just a cheap bench from Thomann, using a tray or something to keep my sheets, and see how I get along for couple of years. If I'm satisfied, I can upgrade the bench then. At least I won't be hurting myself anymore, which is my main concern.

Sounds like a plan!

August Förster 215
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Finally Got Good Settings for My Casio GP-500
by Tenor1. 09/19/19 06:54 PM
How to present yourself....
by Duaner. 09/19/19 06:48 PM
Regulating WNG Action
by 20/20 Vision. 09/19/19 06:15 PM
advices for a starter - general questions
by brogh. 09/19/19 06:06 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,109
Posts2,871,137
Members94,457
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission