2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Volusiano
I actually did measure the power draw of the N3 using a Kill-A-Watt meter and it's about 58W when not being played. When being played, it only goes up a few watts from there.

That is a lot of power on idle!

Too much to leave running.

Hopefully, the N3x has much more efficient amplification and uses less power on standby.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mine draws 68 W. I turn it off when not in use.
But it's not just the piano. There are amps, mixers, EQ, monitors. Something over 100 W in total.
Originally Posted by Volusiano
actually did measure the power draw of the N3 using a Kill-A-Watt meter and it's about 58W when not being played. When being played, it only goes up a few watts from there.
But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I did this 9 years ago when I still owned my first N3 (no longer have it), so I don't remember if I had the volume down to 0 or not. But when played at max volume, it only went up to 61 W. So I really doubt if turning the volume down to zero will save too much more. When my new (used) N3 is delivered next week, I'll find a way to measure it again with the volume turned down to 0 if I can still find another Kill-A-Watt type meter.

Electricity during peak hours (2pm-8pm) in the summer in AZ is 3 times the off-peak rate. So I minimize use of the AC during those peak hours. The house can get quite warm in the day, and I wouldn't want to leave the N3 on all the times because beside the waste/cost of electricity that's 3 times higher during peak hours, there's also a heat stress issue on the solid state components if left powered on and generating heat when the ambient temperature inside the house gets rather warm during the peak times.

But when I'm at home and using the N3, I wouldn't want to turn it off if I think I'm going to get back on it later on, unless I'm sure I'm done for the day.

Last edited by Volusiano; 09/13/19 01:43 AM.
Power consumption when playing is only slightly greater than when at idle because the average sound output is always small.
Yes, the volume can be quite loud ... but only intermittently. The average is generally quite low.

P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Volusiano, why did you sell your first N3?

V
V
Originally Posted by newer player

That is a lot of power on idle!

Too much to leave running.

Hopefully, the N3x has much more efficient amplification and uses less power on standby.

When I first got my N3X, I turned off the auto power off function that switches off the piano after 30 minutes of inactivity. I figured I'd remember to turn it off myself when I wasn't using it... Well, I forgot to do it over a weekend once and when I came back I was rather surprised at how warm the fallboard felt to the touch.

Needless to say, I switched the auto-off function back on and haven't looked back. It takes about 10 seconds to fire up anyway. Good chance to shake my fingers out before sitting down to play.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vara411
Needless to say, I switched the auto-off function back on and haven't looked back. It takes about 10 seconds to fire up anyway. Good chance to shake my fingers out before sitting down to play.

I takes a lot longer than 10 seconds to restore all my lost settings. The only reason this is relevant is because many settings are not stored in nonvolatile memory, like they should be. Otherwise it would be a no brainer to turn off the piano and turn it on every time.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are you saying that you cannot save settings in the N1X?
I know the old models don’t allow this, but I also believed that this was changed in the new X models.

BTW, I don’t buy into the bare-bones-it’s-about-playing minimalist approach used in the old models. We can edit and chew gum at the same time. This was just a lame excuse from Yamaha to get away with the minimalist -crappy- interface and all its limitations. The fact that not even reverb (the only editable parameter) can be saved on the old models is a scam. The Novus, on the other hand, came out swinging with all sorts of editable parameters (including note-per-note edits), and I’ve never heard Gombessa complaining about all this functionality getting in the way of practicing. smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Are you saying that you cannot save settings in the N1X?

You can not save all settings in the N1X. That is the main reason I don't turn my N1X off, ever. Unless it is by accident and when I do, I feel cry because it's a PITA to restore.... Some day I might compose the restoration sequence as if it is a musical composition involving the left panel wink

Originally Posted by Pete14
BTW, I don’t buy into the bare-bones-it’s-about-playing minimalist approach used in the old models. We can edit and chew gum at the same time. This was just a lame excuse from Yamaha to get away with the minimalist -crappy- interface and all its limitations. The fact that not even reverb (the only editable parameter) can be saved on the old models is a scam. The Novus, on the other hand, came out swinging with all sorts of editable parameters (including note-per-note edits), and I’ve never heard Gombessa complaining about how all this functionality gets in the way of practicing. smile

I completely agree and complained about this months ago in the N1X thread. However, within a few days, I found that I was able to repurpose my old un-used iPad as a dedicated touch display for the N1X and I no longer thought about it. That I had to come up with my own touch display instead of Yamaha doing so does not bug me as much as it obviously bugs MacMacMac.

More painful than this (since it is solved as far as I'm concerned) is the other issue of settings saving.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Do you have a list of what can’t be saved? Also, slightly off topic, can you edit the “note off” feature from the app? And finally, can you edit the 5 band eq. from the app?
I ask because I recently started experimenting -again- with blending the on-board (CFX) with Pianoteq and it’s awesome. I tweaked the “note off” on the P-515 all the way up and the result is a very convincing harpsipiano-like sound that can also sound connected and mellow at the same time. I also used the 3-band eq. on the P-515 (I’ve yet to connect the app) and “thinned out” the CFX. Of course, one has to iron out intonation issues (I did this from Pianoteq Pro), but still I prefer some slight detuning because it adds an organic perspective and a wider sound image. It feels/sounds like the sound is coming from a much larger instrument.
I did lower the “cabinet resonance” from the P-515 (it was a bit too much for me).

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission