2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,123 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
The Rachmaninov method: Practise like a snail, play like a gazelle - A painstaking approach could be the key to the composer’s complex and technical work.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
An interesting read. And in the Irish Times no less.

[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
The real question is how often Rachmaninov practiced slowly and how slow he practiced. Chasins' recollection is well known but is just a one time observation. The fact that Chasins found it surprising may mean that this form of practice was not popular at that time or Chasins may just have been surprised at the extreme slowness of the practice. No one knows exactly why Rachmaninov was practicing that piece so slowly when Chasins heard him.

Many pianists and excellent teachers recommend slow or even extremely slow practice. But in the many PW threads about it I have not seen many convincing reasons to explain why.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
An old, old anecdote told by teachers ascribed to any famous pianist you care to mention.

Laissez tomber les mains
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I try and mix my practise up with about 2/3 of the time on slow practise, but from my parsing of the comment not as slowly as described above, and the other 1/3rd at the limit of what I can play at. It is often not the more wrong notes but my lack of control makes the music more muddy, stuff blurs into each other. My limit at what I can play at is still often too slow as to how fast a piece should be played.

I feel as an adult returner my skill has returned unevenly. My ability to read the music, play the notes, recognize how the music should be played is far beyond the raw speed I can actually make my fingers move, especially with decent regulation. If I play K545 at the speed to match the fastest that I can play the trills, the rest of the piece sounds like a funeral march. It turns out it isn't the best piece to practise to get the fingers moving faster.

J
J
Amazing article! As many consider Rachmaninov to be the greatest piano performer there is a define lesson there for everyone.

Thanks for sharing that Tyrone.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Well, slow practice alone is not enough to play like a gazelle. Slow practice can lay a foundation, and resolve technical difficulties, but you also have to practice at other tempos.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Online Content
Originally Posted by JJHLH
Amazing article! As many consider Rachmaninov to be the greatest piano performer there is a define lesson there for everyone.
There is no lesson unless we know how often Rachmaninov practiced very slowly and why he chose to practice very slowly. This kind of practice might have been rare for him. And without knowing why he chose to practice this way, whether often or rarely, it is of little value except in raising the possibility of practicing that way. I think practice techniques should be used if one understands the ideas(s) behind them.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Sam S
Well, slow practice alone is not enough to play like a gazelle. Slow practice can lay a foundation, and resolve technical difficulties, but you also have to practice at other tempos.

Sam

+1

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
B
I'm pretty sure someone reportedly heard Richter repeating the same passage ad nauseam ad infinitum (if that's possible) at exactly the same dead sloooooow tempo, devoid of nuances, for hours (apparently). Was he in a zen trance? Who knows?

One thing is for sure - he didn't learn to play fast (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-NAgDpRVs ) by merely practicing everything slowly.........

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
There is no lesson unless we know how often Rachmaninov practiced very slowly and why he chose to practice very slowly. This kind of practice might have been rare for him. And without knowing why he chose to practice this way, whether often or rarely, it is of little value except in raising the possibility of practicing that way. I think practice techniques should be used if one understands the ideas(s) behind them.

I disagree. The lesson is that there is value in practicing very slowly. Otherwise why would the greatest pianists in history bother to do it, especially for over an hour late in their careers when they have already mastered the piano? It also suggests that less talented players should probably doing it even more.

This is a nice segue which reinforces some of my favorite piano quotes:

“Slow practice is undoubtedly the basis for quick playing” — Josef Hofmann.

“Slow practice does not guarantee concentration, but concentration—especially on problems to be solved—necessitates slow playing” — Egan Petri

“The worst possible thing is to start practicing too fast: it invariably leads to bad results and lengthy delays” — Ernest Schelling

“Beware of lazy, automatic repetition of passage without thought or meaning, totally lacking in that concentration without which nothing can ever be learned or understood” — Tobias Matthay

I need to keep reminding myself of this in order to improve.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A teacher that I know has this succinct motto tacked to the wall above the piano where she gives lessons, for all her students to see:

"Slow Practice = Fast Progress
Fast Practice = Slow Progress"

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
B
B
One should be careful about interpreting another person's motives for doing specific things, and applying blanket statements to everything.

These are some of the things that all pianists should do (and which all concert pianists do - when appropriate):

1) Taking pieces apart and working just on the tricky sections.
2) Trying out various fingerings to find the one that suits them.
3) Slow deliberate practice.
4) Practicing hands separately, whether fast or slow.
5) Counting beats aloud. Using a metronome.

Do they necessarily do all of the above with every piece they learn? Well, no - except for No.1, which is a given. There has to be a reason for everything they do.

If music be the food of love, play on!
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Funny, I was taken to task yesterday for playing too quickly during my lesson.

My teacher asked me if I had the courage to play much more slowly.

Today, I’m working on finding that courage.

Online Content

I disagree. The lesson is that there is value in practicing very slowly. Otherwise why would the greatest pianists in history bother to do it, especially for over an hour late in their careers when they have already mastered the piano? It also suggests that less talented players should probably doing it even more.
I think your reply sounds like you didn't read what I said. Do you know if Rach used this method frequently or only rarely? Doesn't that make a big difference? Do you know exactly why he thought it was useful for this piece? If not, just "practicing slowly" as a blanket approach seems to make little sense to me.

This is a nice segue which reinforces some of my favorite piano quotes:

“Slow practice is undoubtedly the basis for quick playing” — Josef Hofmann.

“Slow practice does not guarantee concentration, but concentration—especially on problems to be solved—necessitates slow playing” — Egan Petri

“The worst possible thing is to start practicing too fast: it invariably leads to bad results and lengthy delays” — Ernest Schelling

“Beware of lazy, automatic repetition of passage without thought or meaning, totally lacking in that concentration without which nothing can ever be learned or understood” — Tobias Matthay
Re:
Hofmann- OK, but how slow?
Petri- I think he's wrong that concentration necessitates slow playing. Concentration is required at all speeds although I agree in some situations slow practice is required to work on or figure out something.
Schelling- It goes without saying that practicing "too fast" at the start is not good. This is different from "slow practice" which is often meant to be very slow practice.
Matthay-Doesn't mention slow practice.

None of what I have said means I'm against slow practice. But

1. When this topic is discussed we need to be specific about how slow we mean. Most everyone practices most pieces below performance tempo at the beginning but that can be very different from what others mean by slow practice.
2. We should be very clear about why and when we think slow practice is important. As I've said before, there are lots of different opinions on this and in previous threads about this topic people did not agree about why they thought slow practice was valuable. It's much better to use some approach if one has a clear rationale for doing so.

I hope those who are big fans of slow practice will use this thread to remind us of some specific reasons they think this approach is valuable and how slow they mean.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/12/19 09:01 PM.
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Well I don't know whether the anecdote is true, but slow practise definitely works for me. I do a lot of incremental metronome practise as well.

I think it's simply a case of each individual working out which practise methods suit them the best. There are, after all a few different "schools" of piano playing. There are for example, those who like metronomes and those that don't.

Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
One should be careful about interpreting another person's motives for doing specific things, and applying blanket statements to everything.

These are some of the things that all pianists should do (and which all concert pianists do - when appropriate):

1) Taking pieces apart and working just on the tricky sections.
2) Trying out various fingerings to find the one that suits them.
3) Slow deliberate practice.
4) Practicing hands separately, whether fast or slow.
5) Counting beats aloud. Using a metronome.

Do they necessarily do all of the above with every piece they learn? Well, no - except for No.1, which is a given. There has to be a reason for everything they do.
I agree basically with everything but especially with your last paragraph.

Online Content
Originally Posted by LarryK

Was your teacher saying your tempo for the piece was too fast or talking about how you should practice? Why does it take courage to play slowly?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by LarryK

Was your teacher saying your tempo for the piece was too fast or talking about how you should practice? Why does it take courage to play slowly?

I would say yes to both of your questions. Given my skill level, my tempo was too fast and I practice too fast when I am at home. I think these are common mistakes for students.

I think it takes courage to play slowly because I believe students tend to equate practicing quickly with success and they equate practicing slowly with failure. I need to change the way I practice so that I work through pieces slowly and only increase the tempo when I really have a piece down.

We live in a fast paced society. We all want fast results and we think that if we play fast, we will see fast results, but I don’t think that is true.

J
J

1. When this topic is discussed we need to be specific about how slow we mean. Most everyone practices most pieces below performance tempo at the beginning but that can be very different from what others mean by slow practice.
2. We should be very clear about why and when we think slow practice is important. As I've said before, there are lots of different opinions on this and in previous threads about this topic people did not agree about why they thought slow practice was valuable. It's much better to use some approach if one has a clear rationale for doing so.

I hope those who are big fans of slow practice will use this thread to remind us of some specific reasons they think this approach is valuable and how slow they mean.

I don’t know the answer. But in Gyorgy Sandor’s excellent book On Piano Playing he offers the following advice:

“Slow practice is very helpful; it enables us to execute every aspect of the motion effortlessly and with absolute accuracy. We advocate slow practice because the mind requires sufficient time to make the mechanism execute and control the motions. When a passage is new and difficult, considerable time is needed for these processes. Sometimes we have to spend extra time on a group of notes, or even a single note. Then again, the next note may be easily manageable, and consequently it requires much less time. Our aim is slow practice, not for its own sake, but for the sake of executing the required motions with sufficient control and awareness...We must make the seemingly contradictory statement that practicing should be as fast as possible while completely controlling the intended motions.

If we follow these suggestions and give the necessary time (no more or less) to each note, we will find ourselves playing totally uneven metric values because the amount of time it takes to master each note or passage varies with its difficulty! This unevenness is quite different from mechanical practicing, in which the poor victim repeats everything with mechanical regularity. It is not that I advocate unevenness in performance, but if the needed time given to each note while learning a work results from the continuous watchfulness of the mind, it is a most welcome sign of intelligent practicing.”

He goes on to talk about how the conscious mind tires quickly and that concentration cannot be maintained for extended periods and that for most people the limit is about 20 minutes. Interestingly my piano teacher emphasizes this same point, strongly recommending taking a short break every 20 minutes.

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission