Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
117 registered members (Antihero, Bett, AndrewJCW, AYS, Bruce In Philly, Aimer, anamnesis, 30 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: johnstaf] #2872885
07/26/19 08:52 AM
07/26/19 08:52 AM
germany
A
aphexdisklavier Offline
aphexdisklavier  Offline
A

germany
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Originally Posted by aphexdisklavier
Yes johnstaf you mentioned that in a hundred postiings ...

Are you suggesting I shouldn't post about my experience?

And, for the 101st time, I never suggested that the pivot was the only factor in the feel of an action, but actions with short pivots cause problems in certain repertoire, I honestly don't know how to make this any simpler.

The "playability" you always mentioned has more to do with the weighting of the keys than with the pivot point. I played DPs with long pivot points, which were much harder to play than the VPC1. There are also DPs with very short pivon pionts, but they are very smooth-running (because they are very light or not weighted at all). Someone who is new to this forum and is looking for help will of course immediately believe your experience and ask for pivot points as long as possible without even experiencing how different the actions can be. It seems like you can measure (through the pivot point) how easy or difficult the action of the DP is. But this is simply not possible! The argumentation that shorter pivot points increase the weight on the inside of the key more than longer pivot points is obvious. But these are very small nuances compared to the over all weighting of the key.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: aphexdisklavier] #2872944
07/26/19 11:42 AM
07/26/19 11:42 AM
P
pold Offline
pold  Offline
P

Yes johnstaf you mentioned that in a hundred postiings ...

Are you suggesting I shouldn't post about my experience?

And, for the 101st time, I never suggested that the pivot was the only factor in the feel of an action, but actions with short pivots cause problems in certain repertoire, I honestly don't know how to make this any simpler.

The "playability" you always mentioned has more to do with the weighting of the keys than with the pivot point. I played DPs with long pivot points, which were much harder to play than the VPC1. There are also DPs with very short pivon pionts, but they are very smooth-running (because they are very light or not weighted at all). Someone who is new to this forum and is looking for help will of course immediately believe your experience and ask for pivot points as long as possible without even experiencing how different the actions can be. It seems like you can measure (through the pivot point) how easy or difficult the action of the DP is. But this is simply not possible! The argumentation that shorter pivot points increase the weight on the inside of the key more than longer pivot points is obvious. But these are very small nuances compared to the over all weighting of the key.

I have to disagree with you on post #2872527, when you say that the longer pivot doesn't make any difference at all for you. To me it makes a lot of difference. Even when you play on the lightest keyboards (for example a synth with non weighted action), you can feel such an annoying fatigue when you play near the fallboard, and it's something I can't adapt to.

Last edited by pold; 07/26/19 11:46 AM.
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2872959
07/26/19 01:15 PM
07/26/19 01:15 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
I know the answer to all this. GHS is best! smile

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2873005
07/26/19 03:47 PM
07/26/19 03:47 PM
Tenerife-Canary Island-Spain
S
sorrownightingale Offline
sorrownightingale  Offline
S

Tenerife-Canary Island-Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtslXIADufM

in the video you can see that his two hands playing very close to the fallboard!!

*Gabriel Iwasaki
I bought the Kawai VPC-1 instead of an upright piano (i dont own any acoustic piano), and dont regret it at all. Actually i am very pleased with the purchase.
For me, what sets it apart is the wooden keys, and the ability to utilise it with ANY music software running on a computer. The keybed is absolutely fantastic. You just have to spend sometime adjusting the software to match the way you play, and after that it is a dream come true*.

Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: sorrownightingale] #2873266
07/27/19 03:37 PM
07/27/19 03:37 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by sorrownightingale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtslXIADufM

in the video you can see that his two hands playing very close to the fallboard!!

*Gabriel Iwasaki
I bought the Kawai VPC-1 instead of an upright piano (i dont own any acoustic piano), and dont regret it at all. Actually i am very pleased with the purchase.
For me, what sets it apart is the wooden keys, and the ability to utilise it with ANY music software running on a computer. The keybed is absolutely fantastic. You just have to spend sometime adjusting the software to match the way you play, and after that it is a dream come true*.

Absolutely fantastic? The keys only go up and down, you know. If they did backflips or somersaults, that'd be AF. But they don't. Or maybe they do these days; I'm a tad behind the times. . .

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: peterws] #2873293
07/27/19 05:34 PM
07/27/19 05:34 PM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by peterws

Absolutely fantastic? The keys only go up and down, you know. If they did backflips or somersaults, that'd be AF. But they don't. Or maybe they do these days; I'm a tad behind the times. . .

Don’t the keys actually (partially) rotate (about an axis)? Must get the details right in this thread. crazy

Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2873704
07/29/19 06:28 AM
07/29/19 06:28 AM
Los Angeles
A
azone Offline
azone  Offline
A

Los Angeles
Don't sleep on the Kawai VPC1!

I finally tried everything - I had to buy the MP11SE and VPC1 to try them alongside my old RD-700GX & borrowed RD-2000. For me the VPC1 kills them all - I wish I tried it a long time ago - but you can't find them anywhere in a store.

I kept reading how old the RM3II is, and how the key is shorter and blah blah blah. Well... for me it's the action I've been looking for for years. The RD700GX I've been using since it came out is a bit heavy and slow rebound (hard to trill). The MP11SE shocked me... light & spongy! I also tried the Kawai CA78 and didn't prefer that one either. The RD-2000 didn't seem too much of an improvement to my RD-700GX.. it almost feels like a cost-reduced version of the PHAII.

For me the VPC1 feels like I'm back in music school on a studio grand. I just love it and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by azone; 07/29/19 06:29 AM.
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: johnstaf] #2888878
09/10/19 08:37 AM
09/10/19 08:37 AM
M
MattLee Offline
MattLee  Offline
M

Originally Posted by sorrownightingale
pold...

PHA 50 pivot lenght is 22 cm Do you consider this shorter pivot lenght?
GFII is 24cm
N1,N2,N3 ~23 cm
GF-C ~21,5cm

Grand piano are between 20 and 25cm. Between 22 and 24cm the difference is neliglible for a physical matter

I think the GF-Compact keys are shorter than length given ....

This is the correct length for the Grand Feel Compact. I measured it to be around 8.5 inches which it 21.6cm.

Last edited by MattLee; 09/10/19 08:38 AM.
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2889036
09/10/19 04:45 PM
09/10/19 04:45 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Thanks for the correction. thumb

Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2889094
09/10/19 07:16 PM
09/10/19 07:16 PM
M
MattLee Offline
MattLee  Offline
M

Oops. I did another measurement to be sure. It's around 8.25in. Which is around 21cm.

I'm using the super accurate method of shoving a ruler under the felt at the fallboard.

Last edited by MattLee; 09/10/19 07:21 PM.
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2889406
09/12/19 09:39 AM
09/12/19 09:39 AM
P
pianomike Offline
pianomike  Offline
P

I am not sure if I posted on this before ,I have an MP11 and an Rd 2000 ,the mp11 is a whole lot more nicer piano action than the rd 2000 , the rd 2000 is a nice action but its a hybrid action and roland even had that written somewhere , can't remember , the rd 800 has a nicer piano action than the rd 2000 in my testing , but the Kawai action is superior to both .

Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: pianomike] #2889411
09/12/19 09:49 AM
09/12/19 09:49 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by pianomike
I am not sure if I posted on this before ,I have an MP11 and an Rd 2000 ,the mp11 is a whole lot more nicer piano action than the rd 2000 , the rd 2000 is a nice action but its a hybrid action and roland even had that written somewhere , can't remember , the rd 800 has a nicer piano action than the rd 2000 in my testing , but the Kawai action is superior to both .

The Roland RD2000 uses the PHA-50 action. The PHA-50 is not a hybrid action. Roland doesn't have any hybrid actions. The Roland V-Piano's "PHA III Ivory Feel keyboard action" is not a hybrid action. Even the one that Roland calls the "Hybrid Grand keyboard" action is not a hybrid action.

The Roland RD800 uses the PHA-4 Concert action.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2889543
09/12/19 03:12 PM
09/12/19 03:12 PM
Canada
A
Abdol Offline
Abdol  Offline
A

Canada
Originally Posted by Randompianist2
Hello,

Which one do you guys think it’s the closer keyboard to a Grand Piano ?

I feel the Kawai Grand Feel II touch a bit soft / spongy feeling

Thanks for your reviews. Currently hesitating between CA78 and HP704.

These are two different categories of keybed. PHA-50 is in the same category as Responsive Hammer III action in Kawai. I found RHIII action closer to a Kawai Grand piano action. I compared RD-2000 and MP7SE with a Kawai grand side by side.

I assume Kawai and Yamaha will always make keybeds far better than Roland. That's because they both manufacture pianos as well. Unfortunately, Yamaha is parsimonious in deploying better material, technology, and mechanics in its instruments.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2889565
09/12/19 04:15 PM
09/12/19 04:15 PM
France
Frédéric L Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

France
“I assume Kawai and Yamaha will always make keybeds far better than Roland. ”

A digital (folded) keyboard is quite different from an acoustic keyboard. I don’t think Yamaha or Kawai have a great superiority in digital keyboard from their competencies in making acoustic pianos.

All of them have to measure the behaviour of an acoustic piano action, and design a digital which is closer and closer by calculus, prototyping, etc. I don’t think the R&D needed for these tasks is reduced a lot when making acoustic pianos.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Frédéric L] #2889588
09/12/19 05:19 PM
09/12/19 05:19 PM
Canada
A
Abdol Offline
Abdol  Offline
A

Canada
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
“I assume Kawai and Yamaha will always make keybeds far better than Roland. ”

A digital (folded) keyboard is quite different from an acoustic keyboard. I don’t think Yamaha or Kawai have a great superiority in digital keyboard from their competencies in making acoustic pianos.

All of them have to measure the behaviour of an acoustic piano action, and design a digital which is closer and closer by calculus, prototyping, etc. I don’t think the R&D needed for these tasks is reduced a lot when making acoustic pianos.

True. RHIII and PHA-50 are both folding and in the same class (PHA-50 is also plastic with matchstick thick wood pieces on the sides). My assumption is that the action/mechanics of a key usually has a response curve. Yamaha and Kawai simulate their own key actions. Roland, I have no clue.

Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Abdol] #2889639
09/12/19 07:37 PM
09/12/19 07:37 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Abdol

I assume Kawai and Yamaha will always make keybeds far better than Roland.

The opinions of pianists here vary so much that I simply can't accept this. Roland by all accounts makes first class digital piano actions that are pound for pound competitive with the best that any other manufacture has. Casio, which doesn't make any acoustic pianos, also seems to have a fine, high-end digital action in their GP series.

IMO, the pedigree of "makes real acoustic pianos" has no real bearing on how good an action is. Yamaha's decades-old GHS for instance, is really not that great at all within its class.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Gombessa] #2889921
09/13/19 11:09 AM
09/13/19 11:09 AM
Canada
A
Abdol Offline
Abdol  Offline
A

Canada
Originally Posted by Gombessa

The opinions of pianists here vary so much that I simply can't accept this. Roland by all accounts makes first class digital piano actions that are pound for pound competitive with the best that any other manufacture has. Casio, which doesn't make any acoustic pianos, also seems to have a fine, high-end digital action in their GP series.

IMO, the pedigree of "makes real acoustic pianos" has no real bearing on how good an action is. Yamaha's decades-old GHS for instance, is really not that great at all within its class.

We should compare potatoes with potatoes. GHS is not in the same league. I didn't say Roland's action is bad. Action is pretty much like the sound of an instrument, subjective. To some or many, PHA-50 of Roland has an action which feels really nice but to me, it does not physically exist (pretty much the same story goes to V-Piano sound engine).

I'm sure Yamaha and Kawai simulate their own instruments! I would not invest in Roland for piano sound/action. It's not authentic (personal opinion).

Last edited by Abdol; 09/13/19 11:10 AM.

Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Randompianist2] #2889956
09/13/19 12:23 PM
09/13/19 12:23 PM
Greater Chicago Metro Area
E
EPW Offline
500 Post Club Member
EPW  Offline
500 Post Club Member
E

Greater Chicago Metro Area
Action is so subjective. I am one that likes the PHA-50 action. I didn't like the PHA-III action from Roland. So has been said many times on this forum. Go check out the pianos for yourself. What I like and what you like most likely will be different smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Re: Most realistic : PHA-50 vs GFII Keys [Re: Gombessa] #2890021
09/13/19 03:12 PM
09/13/19 03:12 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by Abdol

I assume Kawai and Yamaha will always make keybeds far better than Roland.

I've played on acoustics with worse actions than GHS. TBH, an entry level modern Kawai or Yamaha doesn't feel much different from some of the digital actions on offer when you discount the sound production, but of course, the sound generated is different in attack and sustain and would make for a most interesting velocity curve, should one of the more enlightened here care to chip in.

I reckon the manufacturers build their digitals to customer expectations, and not as an acoustic feel/sound alike; nonetheless the difference in action isn't as great as we seem to think, here.

Indeed, some acoustics don't even have "Ivory Feel"!! Can you Adam and Eve it?

Last edited by peterws; 09/13/19 03:13 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MP7SE Additional sounds question
by varignet. 10/20/19 03:11 PM
Spartacus Love Theme by Grusin - Last version
by foster12. 10/20/19 02:47 PM
Your lie in April: helping or harming classical music?
by Ijustplaypiano. 10/20/19 01:33 PM
Comfort Cusion
by dmd. 10/20/19 01:23 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,631
Posts2,881,295
Members94,721
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission