2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Seriously, if you sit at the front row at a Yuja concert you just might get a whiff of Wang!
What about Yujas Wang?

Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think, Pete14! wink laugh

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
I apologize for the typo.
Her name is Yuja Wang, not Yujas Wang! blush

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I apologize for the typo.
Her name is Yuja Wang, not Yujas Wang! blush

I thought that was a Freudian slip and that you simply omitted the apostrophe!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
We have digressed from the main subject: Is a short stick unnecessary? If so, why does the N3 have a short stick?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
And the ice gets thin ...

P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
......but it’s true, you guys. Yamaha removed the short stick from the N3X. This means that there are only two positions available: full lid or closed lid (there’s no mid lid).

V
V
......but it’s true, you guys. Yamaha removed the short stick from the N3X. This means that there are only two positions available: full lid or closed lid (there’s no mid lid).

Hi Pete... It's a small detail, but I too am mystified by the missing short stick on my N3X... it's either completely CLOSED or completely OPEN. Personally, I only play my N3X with everything COMPLETELY closed (including the music stand) or completely OPEN. Having the lid down with the music stand open leads to a shrill reverberation effect that is very shrill to my ears. That goes away with the lid all the way up... I wonder if the short stick would have done this as well and the sound engineers decided to remove it?

I mean, how much of a cost-cutting benefit could it have possibly provided? Would love to hear an answer on this.

Last edited by vara411; 09/10/19 05:58 PM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
@Vara411, does your N3X lid have a round indentation for the short stick? If it's no longer there, then it seems like a more careful and deliberate omission for some reason, because they don't just reuse the N3 housing as is, they actually made a design change to it. I wonder if the 2 new sample sounds (the CFX and Bosendorfer) for some reason don't sound as good in the short stick position so they decided to do away with it.

P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks Vara411 and Volusiano. It would be interesting to get some form of response from Yamaha regarding this omission. All their acoustic grands have a short stick (even the newer “X” models), so yes, there might be some unwanted reverberation issue related to the short stick/N3X because I don’t see why this would be done simply for cost savings.

P.S.

I told you I wasn’t kidding (I’m looking at you, TS). laugh

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
(I’m looking at you, TS). laugh

[Linked Image]

P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Okay, I agree with TS and CG: Lola and Yuja prefer the long stick, but I still maintain that a small stick can also come in handy at times when a softer sound is of essence due to neighboring concerns.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You’re hopeless!

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
.......but I thought we agreed on Lola. wink

V
V
Originally Posted by Volusiano
@Vara411, does your N3X lid have a round indentation for the short stick? If it's no longer there, then it seems like a more careful and deliberate omission for some reason, because they don't just reuse the N3 housing as is, they actually made a design change to it. I wonder if the 2 new sample sounds (the CFX and Bosendorfer) for some reason don't sound as good in the short stick position so they decided to do away with it.

There is no indentation or place to hold the short stick. I just might be crazy enough to grab a short piece of wood and stick it under the piano lid to audition the sound. Will let you guys know.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Aesthetically I prefer the ‘mid lid’ position, and perhaps under certain circumstances it could also be a welcome change (in sound projection) from the full open lid. So Yamaha better have a good explanation for this.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Aesthetically I prefer the ‘mid lid’ position, and perhaps under certain circumstances it could also be a welcome change (in sound projection) from the full open lid. So Yamaha better have a good explanation for this.

Cost to much money to put in another lid position stop LOL

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
Lid aside, I just noticed that when routing audio through the N3X’s aux-in only the left/right speakers work; the front/rear speakers are disabled (Manual). I also looked at the manual for the N2/3 and it does not say this.
Could this “down-converting” to left/right be a better approach than having all the speakers work in some odd, stereo-like (mess) configuration?

V
V

Could this “down-converting” to left/right be a better approach than having all the speakers work in some odd, stereo-like (mess) configuration?

If you're referring to the "mess configuration" being detrimental to the piano samples themselves, I strongly disagree. It gives a spatial element to the sound that is superior to simple LEFT-RIGHT stereo. If simple stereo were preferable, I would have purchased the much cheaper CLP-695GP.

Last edited by vara411; 09/12/19 05:30 PM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
P
Pete14 Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’m not referring to the on-board sound. Of course, the multi-channel is better than conventional stereo.
I’m referring to running a VST, for example, through the on-board speakers. The consensus is that the ‘sound imaging’ is not good due to the stereo signal (aux in/audio interface) not working well with the multi-channel system.
Since the N3X only uses the left-right speakers and disables the front/rear speakers, I was curious if this would be a better approach for the incoming stereo signal vs. the system on the N3 which, it appears, uses all the speakers but does a not-so-good job at properly distributing the stereo signal.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
...vs. the system on the N3 which, it appears, uses all the speakers but does a not-so-good job at properly distributing the stereo signal.

Are we saying that the N3 routes both the incoming L and R channels to all in-house speakers equally (effectively turns into a mono effect), but the N3X routes the left incoming audio to the left speakers and the right incoming audio to the right speakers and all the other speakers are not activated?

I don't actually know how the N3 does the audio routing, just trying to confirm here, that's all.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission