2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Montuno #2888638 09/09/19 04:51 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Montuno
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Just a single letter correction:

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started. She served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

May I humbly suggest an alternative version?

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator. Monica served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

Since Piano*Dad has pointed out the name she preferred to go by in life, the internal paragraph can be further tweaked to be:

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

The above, taken with a recital name of ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' should nicely combine all the points of view on the naming. We should consult with Athena though. Someone have Athena on their Facebook friends list who could ask her if these two things would work for the family?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator, who passed away shortly after Recital 55. She, along with Mr. Super-Hunky, were instrumental in getting the recitals started. She served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica Kern Harris, our long-time recital moderator. Monica served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

Since Piano*Dad has pointed out the name she preferred to go by in life, the internal paragraph can be further tweaked to be:

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favourite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and loved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

The above, taken with a recital name of ‘The Monica K. Quarterly Recital' should nicely combine all the points of view on the naming. We should consult with Athena though. Someone have Athena on their Facebook friends list who could ask her if these two things would work for the family?

+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I think it is good, although I would go with the American “favorite” and not the British “favourite.”

I think “loved” should be “beloved.”

Last edited by LarryK; 09/09/19 07:17 PM.
LarryK #2888691 09/09/19 07:24 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
I think it is good, although I would go with the American “favorite” and not the British “favourite.”

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and beloved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Originally Posted by LarryK

"The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition she was an active and beloved contributor to the Pianoworld forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years."

Lovely ❤️

Ken Knapp #2888712 09/09/19 08:55 PM
E
E
The Monica K. Quarterly Recital

The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition, she was an active and beloved contributor to the Piano World forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years.

(punctuation changes)

enw10 #2888755 09/10/19 12:48 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by enw10
The Monica K. Quarterly Recital

The quarterly ABF recitals are dedicated to the memory of Monica J. Kern, our long-time recital moderator. 'Monica K.' served as the administrator for 53 quarterly recitals. She also performed in every one of the first 55 recitals, many of those performances dedicated to her favorite composer Ludovico Einaudi. In addition, she was an active and beloved contributor to the Piano World forum. We owe Monica a debt of gratitude for her instrumental role in getting the recitals started and keeping them running for so many years.

(punctuation changes)

This version sums up everything and is a nice tribute to Monica. I like it and would vote for it.

One caveat however... It is important to continue to recognize and credit the efforts of several other founding members who originally started our online recital [conception, programming, hosting, archiving] contributing a considerable amount of time and resources in doing so. This has been done in a separate paragraph and included in every recital. Their efforts as well as the history of the recital should continue to be preserved this way.

Once the recital had been created and working, it needed to be administered to the group in a way that worked for everyone. This is where Monica stepped in and she never looked back. From our very first recital she was there. And as a result, we are all the better for it.

Monica did a better job in this position than anyone could have hoped for and as a result our ABF recitals became more successful than anyone at the time could have imagined. Monicas contributions and administering of the recital had a huge impact on its success and this tribute to her is not only fitting, it has been earned...many times over!

Last edited by mr_super-hunky; 09/10/19 12:49 AM.
Ken Knapp #2888806 09/10/19 04:58 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The text at recitals.pianoworld.com has the history and credits the founding members. We shouldn't get rid of that history, just add to it.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S #2888835 09/10/19 07:08 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
The text at recitals.pianoworld.com has the history and credits the founding members. We shouldn't get rid of that history, just add to it.

Sam

Yes, the proposed text was only proposed as an addition, not a substitution.

[Linked Image]

Ken Knapp #2888948 09/10/19 11:39 AM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Mr_Super-Hunky and Sam S -

+1

Last edited by jotur; 09/10/19 11:39 AM.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well said and I agree.

Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

This version sums up everything and is a nice tribute to Monica. I like it and would vote for it.

One caveat however... It is important to continue to recognize and credit the efforts of several other founding members who originally started our online recital [conception, programming, hosting, archiving] contributing a considerable amount of time and resources in doing so. This has been done in a separate paragraph and included in every recital. Their efforts as well as the history of the recital should continue to be preserved this way.

Once the recital had been created and working, it needed to be administered to the group in a way that worked for everyone. This is where Monica stepped in and she never looked back. From our very first recital she was there. And as a result, we are all the better for it.

Monica did a better job in this position than anyone could have hoped for and as a result our ABF recitals became more successful than anyone at the time could have imagined. Monicas contributions and administering of the recital had a huge impact on its success and this tribute to her is not only fitting, it has been earned...many times over!

Ken Knapp #2889263 09/11/19 12:52 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
In her first few years her user name was Monica Kern. She had it changed at some point because she felt uncomfortable with her full name.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Ken Knapp #2889444 09/12/19 10:56 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So, I don’t play Einaudi. Never have. BUT, I slid an Einaudi piece past the goalposts this week in ballet class in honor of Monica. The classes I accompany for require a rather firm classical foundation, but I did find some Einaudi excerpts which would work. I did it in a class where the teacher is not appreciative of this style of music and yet she liked this one so much she stopped class after I played it to ask me what piece it had been.

I hope wherever Monica is, she was happy about it!

Back to Schubert....

TwoSnowflakes #2889518 09/12/19 02:08 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Back to Schubert....

grin

Ken Knapp #2893975 09/25/19 08:19 AM
G
Gary001
Unregistered
Gary001
Unregistered
G
Sad news. I've not listened to the recent recitals but will now make a point of listening to recital #55. I also agree the renaming would be a nice tribute to work Monica put in for all of us on the recitals.

Monica is the reason I started listening to Einaudi several years ago. Her enthusiasm for the recitals will be missed frown

Ken Knapp #2894002 09/25/19 09:19 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Just to confirm the agreement of the ABF members, I believe this was what was finally agreed.

New name of quarterly recital to be used in titles and subject lines and on the recital portal: "The Monica K. Quarterly Recital"

Text (enw10 version) to be added to the recital portal website, the recital announcement post, and the recital thread (but not in replacement of the existing text providing the history of the recital and naming other significant contributors) :

[Linked Image]

Ken Knapp #2894017 09/25/19 09:48 AM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Looks great to me

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Ken Knapp #2894040 09/25/19 10:27 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, I will make the change before the next recital...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Ken Knapp #2894099 09/25/19 02:00 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice. I know Monica would be very pleased to see how we have honored her memory.

Ken Knapp #2894140 09/25/19 04:48 PM
Two thumbs up!

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission