Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
128 registered members (Abdol, anotherscott, 8ude, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, 36251, accordeur, amyram, 24 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2883213
08/25/19 08:29 AM
08/25/19 08:29 AM
Santa Fe, NM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
jotur  Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Santa Fe, NM
Thanks Mr_Super-Hunky and Morodiene - Picking up a second assisted living place to play at is one of the things that has made "retirement" busy! And allowed me to once again play just for the fun and not have to think about whether or not I miss notes! It's all about the music.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: jotur] #2883227
08/25/19 09:04 AM
08/25/19 09:04 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by jotur
Thanks Mr_Super-Hunky and Morodiene - Picking up a second assisted living place to play at is one of the things that has made "retirement" busy! And allowed me to once again play just for the fun and not have to think about whether or not I miss notes! It's all about the music.

This is so true! We work at getting our playing to be accurate and comfortable in the hands, but in the end, we have to come back around to just making music. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2883323
08/25/19 01:29 PM
08/25/19 01:29 PM
Jason Lenthe Offline
Jason Lenthe  Offline

I have now finally listened to each and every piece at least once, so I wanted to say how I much I enjoyed listening (even more so than usual). I'm not probably not insightful enough to provide an intelligent comment on each piece, so I will just issue a general congratulations. Everyone should be very proud of the pieces they submitted here. And I'm not just saying that be to nice, I really mean it.

I did want comment specifically on this one, though:

30. Monica K. - Ascent That sure was a powerful and moving performance! You are as tough as nails, a real community leader, and damn good pianist. Thank you, so much!

I also wanted to thank all who commented on my piece and respond to a few points:

Originally Posted by WTM
35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag
Jason this performance was fantastic and got my feet tapping away under my desk at work. Incredible!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by initK

I enjoyed especially performances of
#1 Pianogrlnw, #7 MarieJ, #11 KevinM, #15 Serge88, #20 dumka1, #23 Riddler (Ed), #27 Jazzyprof, #30 Monica K., #32 Mosotti, #35 Jason Lenthe , #38 Ganddalf, #40 timmyab, #43 PikaPianist (WOW!), #46 Tyrone Slothrop (what a lovely video!), #53 Richard (zrtf90) and #57 Morodiene!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by facdo

Classic ragtime piece, your playing was flawless. Well done!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ted

Like Joshua Rifkin and Brian Keenan, you prefer the authentic tempo in a piece which is often played at ridiculous speed. I think I prefer your way as it increases definition of the syncopation, which disappears altogether at high speed. Well done.

Thank you, Ted. Yeah, I've been focusing this year on tempo control and I think I'm really starting to see the results. And I don't think this kind of "slower" tempo really sacrifices anything in terms of energy.

Originally Posted by KevinM

Such a fun piece, a joy to listen to. Well played, you own it.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag What a fine performance of this excellent piece! My toes are tapping for sure. (And what a beautiful piano!)

Thank you!

Originally Posted by MarieJ

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag I think this provided us all with toe-tapping cheer … great work, Jason!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ido

Very solid rendition!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sam S

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Awesome!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by peterws

35 Jason Lenthe
Excellent! Your piano is totally lovely. Those top notes sound deliberately de-tuned . . . there's so much vibrancy and enthusiasm in this. Great stuff.

Thank you. Is de-tuning notes deliberately something people do? If so, my technician must have done it without my consent! But he's a real top notch pro, so I doubt it. Perhaps more likely you are hearing my flubs. I definitely had a audible flub when I went an octave higher on the repeat for the 2nd section plus a few more throughout.

Originally Posted by Terry Michael

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag - LOVE it! Another wonderful 'pick me upper'. This piece will live on forever. Thanks!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by cmb13

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Wow, what energy! I'm tired just watching it! Nicely played! Liked the tidbit about the publisher in the video.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by MeganR

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag Oh gosh, this was great! Sweet piano also.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Riddler

Bravo, a rousing rendition if ever there was one. I loved it!

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Morodiene

35. Jason Lenthe - Maple Leaf Rag How fun! I don’t like my rags to “clean” because they lose the style. This was perfect!

Thank you!

And thank you to everyone that noticed my new piano because I forgot to mention that fact in my "additional details". Owning a grand piano is something of a dream come true for me. It was well worth the effort of getting a cable outlet moved and totally rearranging the furniture in my family room to make space for it. I also consider myself very fortunate to have the financial means to own a grand as well because not everyone does. I grew up playing a Wurlitzer spinnet that had never been tuned! And I loved it. I've come a long way since then.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2883418
08/25/19 05:55 PM
08/25/19 05:55 PM
Near Yosemite, California
MeganR Offline
Silver Subscriber
MeganR  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Near Yosemite, California
Back to being able to comment on this wonderful recital - a root canal and a funeral got in the way. Sigh.

36. Ido - Allemande from Suite in D-Minor HWV 437 A lovely piece indeed! Maybe I'll put this on my to-learn list. Nice light touch on your new piano.

37. Greener/Jeff - Salute Wow, neat! Love this sound.

38. Ganddalf - Habanera Also not familiar with this composer, but what a sweet melody and rhythm, and beautifully played.

39. Qwerty53 - Softly, William, Softly (Nocturne no. 6) One of the things I love about these recitals is hearing music I didn't know about. I greatly appreciate your bringing this piece to us, and really enjoyed your playing.

40. timmyab - Sinfonia no 11 I love Bach so much, I love this Sinfonia, this was great.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2 Such a wonderful piece of music. I hear you on how hard it can be to get a good recording, but your interpretation is lovely.

42. barbaram - Little Prelude in E Minor BWV 941 I've done 940 and 942, but hadn't considered this one and now you've inspired me to think maybe I should. Well played!

43. PikaPianist - Carnaval Op.9, No.12, 'Chopin' Holy cow, this was truly wonderful. Loved!

44. sinophilia - Birmingham Blues Maybe the blues is often sweaty? At any rate your work paid off, this was some cooooool stuff. Really enjoyed.

Schumann - Sheherazade Op. 68 No 32, Ravel Prelude in A minor 1913, Scarlatti Sonata in D Minor K32/ Soundcloud

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2883738
08/26/19 05:10 PM
08/26/19 05:10 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
Sorry, I posted this in the recital thread by mistake.

51. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kleines Praeludium - BWV 999
Something good, definitely good! Yes, on the pedal, too, I think 😊

52. lvojnovic - Invention No. 1 in C Major, BWV 772
How I envy your hand independence! Beautifully done!

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3
A beautiful, sensitive rendition of a masterpiece! Very touching!

59. Pathbreaker - Arabeske 1
Absolutely gorgeous! I love this piece and enjoyed every second of your performance!

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2
Definitely sounds like you have an extra hand or two, with extra fingers on them, too. it's remarkable that you accomplished all that by ear.

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2884207
08/27/19 08:19 PM
08/27/19 08:19 PM
Ann Arbor, MI
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jazzyprof  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ann Arbor, MI
I very much enjoyed listening to all the pieces in this recital. Kudos to all!

Many thanks to all who commented on my piece:
cmb13, facdo, MarieJ, KevinM, MeganR, Riddler (Ed), Peterws, Balezin Dmitry, Ido, Qwerty53, initK,Terry Michael, Morodiene, Mr Super-Hunky.
I truly appreciate the feedback!
Originally Posted by Riddler
27. Jazzyprof - Spirit Dreams
In two minutes and five seconds, you have disproved the idea that melody has become obsolete! That was a very appealing piece, with structure, harmony and a gorgeous melody. All you need is a lyricist! Well done!

Thanks, Riddler. You're right...I need to find a lyricist to turn it into a real song!

I was hoping to comment on all the pieces but the start of the academic year got in the way so I only have a couple:

60. Mr Super-Hunky - Variation of Bach G Minor Piano tiles 2
I love what you did with Bach! I think he would be mighty pleased with your adaptation.

53. Richard (zrtf90) - Consolation No. 3
That was beautifully played. You succeeded in touching the emotions. So moving.

30. Monica K. - Ascent
Monica, thank you for sharing with us your journey and your love for the music of Einaudi. I love the ethereal quality you brought to the lyrical parts of the piece...brought tears to my eyes.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2884278
08/28/19 03:20 AM
08/28/19 03:20 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Just a quick one. It's been a great recital; I've particularly enjoyed it for not only the music, but the machines that play it! There's an enormous variety, and the recordings are wonderful.
And its good that everybody should heel free to contribute responses or not. Keep 'em comin' . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: peterws] #2884295
08/28/19 04:15 AM
08/28/19 04:15 AM
Cali
Terry Michael Offline
Terry Michael  Offline

Cali
Just a quick one. It's been a great recital; I've particularly enjoyed it for not only the music, but the machines that play it!

I have to second this. I was actually surprised to find myself drawn to the audio aspects as well as the music presented. I really enjoyed listening!

TH
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2884362
08/28/19 08:05 AM
08/28/19 08:05 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
26. jotur - Cathy Turner - Say, Has Anybody Seen My Sweet Gypsy Rose

Cathy - Delightful rendition of this great old standard - what we've come to expect from you - keep up the good work for those "seasoned citizens"!

62. Sam S - Fantasie in c minor

Really nice effort on this seemingly difficult piece Sam- enjoyed that thoroughly! Thanks for your work on making the Recital happen...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2885732
09/01/19 03:49 AM
09/01/19 03:49 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Wow; it's 2 weeks since the discussion opened and it seems it's already closing up. I was quite busy with some urgent things and didn't have much time for piano. Time to catch up.

Originally Posted by KevinM

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music

A complex interesting piece well played.

Thanks Kevin!

Originally Posted by MarieJ

I could just see those 50 musicians 300 years ago, drifting upstream on a barge. Your rendition sang along nicely; your serious work certainly paid off.

good to hear that smile

Originally Posted by MeganR

Your work on the voicing really did the trick, well played.

Thanks,and good that you point to the voicing, There's so many things going on that it's difficult to see what makes the difference.

Originally Posted by Morodienne

08. wouter79 - Bourrree from Water Music I know what you mean about having to resolve blockiness with a hymn-like texture. I really like how you added just a bit of stretching the tempo in at around 0:51 and 1:08 and the ending - this was very effective. You could even add a bit of phrasing even if it’s not written in to help disguise the blockiness.

Yes in old music you have to do this yourself. Thanks for the suggestions.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2885733
09/01/19 03:58 AM
09/01/19 03:58 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Lovely sound; reminds me of Christmas. Rich, fruity, any piano would like to sound like it. Great, lovely, just too short.

Nice Peter, thanks !

Originally Posted by Ido

Thank you for introducing this piece. It sounds very tricky with all these voices. Nicely done!

Yes, it was tricky indeed. Good to hear you like it!

Originally Posted by cmb

Nice playing on short notice. Sounds like a lot of chords there.

Thanks, yes, lots of chords indeed. But I was trying to make it sound a bit less like that!

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2885735
09/01/19 04:08 AM
09/01/19 04:08 AM
W
wouter79 Offline
5000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Very sure and steady execution. My gut tells me that I would have played it a bit more softly, but given that it is a dance your choice may well be the appropriate one.

Thanks QuasiUnaFantasia for your comments. Yes I hear why you are saying that and yes maybe it can be played a bit softer!

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

Nice job on keeping an even keel with the Water Music!

Qwerty, thanks for your comment !

Originally Posted by Terry

'm listening to Audio books on Handel's life right now and loving them. I liked this piece. I think you did a good job of making the melody come out.

Good to hear, yes I worked a lot on the voicing too and good to hear it worked out

Originally Posted by barbaram

I know what you mean about the challenge of avoiding “blockiness” with chord based pieces like this. Your performance has a lovely brightness about it, and a nice pace that feels very appropriate – a certain stateliness but with enough movement too

Barbaram, thanks; good to hear that the feel and pace are right.

Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2886704
09/03/19 10:49 PM
09/03/19 10:49 PM
Seattle
owenj Offline
owenj  Offline

Seattle
End of summer activities have kept me mostly off of the forum, and practice has been a bit spotty. Enjoyed this lovely recital dedicated to Monica K, may she rest in peace. As an Einaudi fan, it was nice to hear several of his pieces grin Great variety in genres. Hopefully I'll get my act together and have something to submit next time!

~Jaime
Roland HP603

Currently Working In: Alfred's Adult AIO- Level One, Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO- Book One, and Playground Sessions: Rookie Tour
Re: Recital 55 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2888643
09/09/19 05:08 PM
09/09/19 05:08 PM
Bristol, UK
T
timmyab Offline
500 Post Club Member
timmyab  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Bristol, UK
Some great performences here as always. I'll just mention a couple that particularly struck me out of the dozens of commendable performances.

41. AssociateX - Intermezzo Op 118 # 2
Very musical playing and pretty accurate too considering the complexity of the piece. The proof that you moved something inside me is that I found myself humming this piece last week not knowing what it was or who it was by until I placed it after a while as your recital piece. I'm not a huge fan of Brahms solo piano works usually (although I love the 1st PC), but I really enjoyed this and may have a look at it one day. I suspect it's difficult though. The out of tune piano was a slight distraction at first but I soon forgot about it.

48. Purrblast - Etude dans le genre Fugue (Op 97 No 1a)
I think you play very well considering the short time you've been at it. Great control of tempo and dynamics. Nice piece too.

Also congratulations to the people that submitted Einaldi pieces. Very high standard of playing, I'm sure Monica would have approved of them all.

Last edited by timmyab; 09/09/19 05:13 PM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stretches in the middle registers
by Ghostnotes. 10/14/19 10:44 AM
Clicky keys on Korg SP280
by kangarooster. 10/14/19 08:08 AM
To ice or not to ice...?
by Animisha. 10/14/19 06:39 AM
Edelweiss Sygnet G50
by Ronaldo777uk. 10/14/19 05:06 AM
The form of Monk's " Light Blue "
by Nahum. 10/14/19 05:00 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,514
Posts2,879,008
Members94,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission