2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (Ajax69, An Old Square, Boboulus, anotherscott, Bobby Simons, 23 invisible), 1,362 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2887805 09/07/19 08:44 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone,
In the pursuit to obtain a good sound when using external speakers with my Kawai ES8 I have borrowed some used Yamaha HS5 monitors to have a play with. Although they sound reasonable I am getting a lot of high frequency hiss. How do I get rid of this ? Do all powered monitors hiss ?

I have plugged the speakers directly into the keyboard using balanced 1/4 jack to jack leads (stage audio leads approx 3m long). Speakers are placed in front of me and to the sides approx 1m away but the hiss can still be heard and it’s really annoying.

It does not seem to be the keyboard since if I unplug the speaker cable from the speaker I an still hear a gentle his from the speaker when it is not connected to anything. I have tried plugging the speakers into another wall socket separate from the keyboard but no difference. No obvious signs of damage to the cables.

Please can somebody advise. Would getting higher quality balanced cable be any better ? Or could it be the speakers themselves ?

Does anyone else get a hiss from there monitors ?

Many thanks,

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer
Seinnheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones

“I’m playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order”
(E. Morecambe)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you remove the input plug and you still get hiss ... then it's the monitor.
Whether defective or just cheap quality ... it's the monitor.

BTW ... cables won't produce hiss, not even cheap cables.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ScoreMonkey
It does not seem to be the keyboard since if I unplug the speaker cable from the speaker I an still hear a gentle his from the speaker when it is not connected to anything.

noise floor.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
OP Offline
Thanks MacMacMac !

Tyrone, thanks for sharing the video. As my hiss is definitely audiable I don’t think it is the noise floor.

Does anybody have Yamaha HS5 monitors with a similar problem ?

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer

(E. Morecambe)
@ScoreMonkey: You did not mention what type of monitors you're using.

OP Offline
@macmacmac Yamaha HS5 active (powered).

Apologies, i may have not described the issue sufficiently. Have done some further tests. If the speaker has no jack plug in, ie. it is switched on but not connected to the keyboard there is a gentle hiss similar to the noise floor video above. When I plug in the speaker (both do the same) I also get a hum and it’s the combined hum/hiss that is annoyingly loud. When you stop playing you just have this white noise sound which defeats the object of having high quality monitors to listen with.

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer

(E. Morecambe)
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
You could try turning the ES8 down, and the monitors up . . . .or vice versa.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I have JBL 305MP MKII monitors which have the hiss and no hum.

I notice it when I'm not playing but as soon as I am playing I can't hear. It fits exactly the description he has for the noise the tweeter produces. This is with and without cables connected. It sound very much like white noise.

The speakers sound great when I am playing.

It sounds like you have the hiss on top of a ground loop hum which I don't have and that problem is external to your speakers.

I tried playing with the volume control and hi/lo pass filter switches on the back of mine with absolutely no effect. The guy in the video describing the problem as being 100% the power amp inside the monitor as being where the noise comes from makes sense to me.

Last edited by KevinM; 09/07/19 10:03 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hum should definitely not be an internal problem unless the quality is poor (not the case with hs5) or they are defective. I have the HS7s and they do have a low level of hiss which is only audible (to me a anyway) if you put ear to tweeter. They are not perfect, but the noise floor is not a problem for me.

However you can get an inconsistent hiss (hiss with bits and chunks) and/ or hum caused by ground loop. But that only occurs when it's all plugged in and linked up, and it shouldn't happen at all if you're using balanced lines.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
OP Offline
Hi All, I have managed to reduce the noise by adding a stereo mixer into the setup and by carefully adjusting the gain settings and equaliser to reduce the hiss. Much better but will cont8nue experimenting.

Just out of interest, for those with monitors (@toddy) where do you position them ? How close to your ears. I don’t think I would move them closer than a meter away as I will hear the sound again. I thought near field monitors meant that you could be quite close to them ?

Thanks all for your comments, very valuable !

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer

(E. Morecambe)
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I wouldn't put speakers closer than a metre away from the listener, especially because the distance between left and right should be more than a metre, and the listener-speaker-speaker arrangement should be about an equalateral triangle.

The noise floor level at full volume on these speakers is fairly high, I would think. Certainly, it's not really reference standard for those who expect high performance audiophile quality. But it doesn't bother me particularly - which is to say, I've never heard the white noise unless I've expressly tested for it at close quarters.

Last edited by toddy; 09/07/19 03:05 PM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

OP Offline
Thanks @toddy, I wonder if this triangular formation that we are suggested to follow is really to keep the speakers away from the player to stop us hearing the white noise ! Strange that near field monitors don’t work too well if up close.

My next step is to compare these monitors with my hifi speakers to see what offers the best sound.

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer

(E. Morecambe)
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, to be honest, that's standard advice for speaker placement. I imagine it's similar for monitors and near field monitors.

Out of interest, I've just dug out the instructions for my HS7s. They mention the 60 degree rule, so no change there. They also say the minimum recommended distance from the wall or corner is 1.5 metres. Otherwise you need to compensate with the room control (filters).

They do not mention a listening distance. But really, at the notch on the volume controls which is half way, I think, I can't hear any noise at all. Louder than that would be too loud for very near field work - you'd blow your ears out.

This topic piqued my interest ... so I measure 30" from monitor to ear.
I don't know why there a one meter minimum. They sound superb.
The one meter must be some made up number?

And anyway ... no hiss here with these Adams. None at all.

I'm really surprised to read that Yamahas produce hiss. I'd expect that from the low-end junk, but not from Yamaha.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ScoreMonkey

I have plugged the speakers directly into the keyboard using balanced 1/4 jack to jack leads (stage audio leads approx 3m long).

As I understand you use stereo (TRS) 1/4" cables, and hear more noise when the cable is connected to HS5? Try high quality unbalanced (TR) instrument cables instead. Your cables might have low quality shields (just a guess).
Also, try to turn off all lights and all high powered electric devices you have in 15' range just to verify.

Last edited by VladK; 09/07/19 06:08 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
OP Offline
Thanks all for your input. It is interesting to hear how you are all setup. I have done some googling and it appears Yamaha do suffer from a hiss. I can get reasonable results when playing with the dials when the sound is fed through a mixer. But when the speakers are plugged in directly to the keyboard it is not so easily controlled. I might investigate a higher quality balanced lead as @VladK suggests. Can anyone (with no hiss !) suggest a make that works ??

Many thanks all

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer

(E. Morecambe)
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Trying different cables is a cheap test but if the same cables are being used to connect the keyboard to the mixer and the issue is less severe, then it is less likely to be the cables.

What type of keyboard are you using? Does it have balanced outputs?

OP Offline
Hi @sweelinck well, the cables are balanced but looking at the Kawai es8 manual it doesn’t say if the line out jacks are balanced or not. The diagrams show unbalanced Cables so there is a strong possibility that it could be unbalanced. Why on earth would this be on an expensive piano ?

@kawai_james, do you know if the lineout is balanced or not please ? Fingers crossed. If not how could I make them balanced or convert the outputs to get rid of the hiss ?

Kawai ES-8
Yamaha HS5 Monitors
MK K-9 Subwoofer

(E. Morecambe)
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Line out are 1/4" unbalanced.

https://kawaius.com/product/es8/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Talking while playing
by wg73 - 12/01/21 03:19 PM
Santa Claus is Coming to Town edited by Chopin
by pianoloverus - 12/01/21 03:03 PM
sliding thumbnail
by Tono - 12/01/21 02:44 PM
Buying first EP - need advice
by Nadrog - 12/01/21 01:15 PM
How long is an "average" player a "beginner?"
by Mils - 12/01/21 10:26 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,334
Posts3,149,992
Members103,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission