2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
A
A
Martha went through a prolonged battle with cancer in the 90's, to the point where it metastisized in her lungs and lymph nodes. She barely and I mean *barely* scraped through. I got to know her shortly after she came through that, and it took such an immense toll on her. The aggressiveness of the treatments really messed her up and she has been struggling with her health ever since - she is such a trooper. if I were her, I would have stopped playing in public after that - that she gives any concerts at all is a testament to her inner strength! She is a wonderful woman and such a gifted pianist.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amy C
Martha went through a prolonged battle with cancer in the 90's, to the point where it metastisized in her lungs and lymph nodes. She barely and I mean *barely* scraped through. I got to know her shortly after she came through that, and it took such an immense toll on her. The aggressiveness of the treatments really messed her up and she has been struggling with her health ever since - she is such a trooper. if I were her, I would have stopped playing in public after that - that she gives any concerts at all is a testament to her inner strength! She is a wonderful woman and such a gifted pianist.

Thanks for that Amy. I remember hearing her say how fortunate she was that they were able to leave the muscles in her back intact after part of her lung was removed, as she wouldn't be able to play the same way otherwise.

With her health struggles, touring must be especially demanding. Travel can be hard on the youngest and fittest of us.

Even though she has shunned the limelight, she has been very open about her health, and the various struggles in her life. I admire her for that.

I've always wanted to meet her more than anyone else. Maybe I'll bump into her on the street some day. I'd love to thank her for being a wonderful part of my life.

What an extraordinary woman. I remember buying my first Martha CD decades ago. It was Prokofiev 3. Hearing her play it at 77 could have been a bit nostalgic, but it wasn't because what I heard was a great artist in her prime. I've never heard playing like it.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

My word! I didn’t have a clue about that. I’ve always admired her as a pianist but wow!

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

What an amazing and inspirational story!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sibylle

That would be an interesting concert to attend.

[Linked Image]
Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Well I'd go to hear her any time, but Vienna is a little far. grin

I love that Mozart F major concerto.
(The D minor isn't too bad either.) ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Haha, yes!

The thing is, I'll be in Vienna anyway at that time, doing a course grin So, naturally I bought a ticket!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Haha, yes!

The thing is, I'll be in Vienna anyway at that time, doing a course grin So, naturally I bought a ticket!

Lucky you! Be sure to give us your recap of the concert.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Will do!

I may or may not be overdoing it with recitals and concerts for the rest of this year. But I have 15 years to catch up with and have been working my backside off to make some extra cash, so I figured I might as well grin

So here's what's booked:

August 27th: Ivo Pogorelich at the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg
September 4th: Yuja Wang and Staatskapelle Dresden in Dublin
September 25th: Mitsuko Uchida and Mahler Chamber Orchestra in Vienna

Plus, I'm sorely tempted to fly to Zagreb (Croatia) in November to hear Kissin playing Beethoven sonatas! I *have* to hear that program, and his tour dates are really inconvenient for me this time - for example, he'll play it in the Vienna Musikverein a few weeks before I'm in Vienna again in late winter (Feb)!! November may just be doable.

I'd love to hear everyone else's plans!

Last edited by Sibylle; 08/10/19 02:52 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Will do!

I may or may not be overdoing it with recitals and concerts for the rest of this year. But I have 15 years to catch up with and have been working my backside off to make some extra cash, so I figured I might as well grin

So here's what's booked:

Plus, I'm sorely tempted to fly to Zagreb (Croatia) in November to hear Kissin playing Beethoven sonatas! I *have* to hear that program, and his tour dates are really inconvenient for me this time - for example, he'll play it in the Vienna Musikverein a few weeks before I'm in Vienna again in late winter (Feb)!! November may just be doable.

I'd love to hear everyone else's plans!

Wow! Great bookings so far, and if you can add Kissin, wow, again!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Holy sh*t!

Heads up everyone who was planning to hear the Beethoven sonatas from Kissin this coming season - they’re selling out many months in advance.

I checked out several of the European recitals in November, December, January and February, and the only one that had a halfway decent seat left (balcony, but at least not in the back on the right or something like that) was London in early February.

It’s only a week before I’ll be off to Vienna again, but I can’t miss this. Haven’t heard my favourite sonata live in literally decades

Just letting ye know... get your tickets if you were planning to.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

So here's what's booked:

WOW! Amazing. What better excuse for such travel. You're gonna be in for a great end of summer season!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yuja Wang piano, Feb 18th, 2020. Walt Disney Concert Hall. Valentine's date smile

https://www.laphil.com/events/performances/717/2020-02-18/yuja-wang

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Yuja Wang piano, Feb 18th, 2020. Walt Disney Concert Hall. Valentine's date smile

https://www.laphil.com/events/performances/717/2020-02-18/yuja-wang

Would be enjoyable to attend. Alas...

[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Lang Lang at Carnegie Hall Thurs May 7 2020
Tickets on sale now

B
B
Orange County Philharmonic has a great lineup:
Daniil Trifonov February 9th at Soka Performing Arts in Orange County, CA, followed by
Yuja Wang February 20th at Segerstrom (after her recital at Walt Disney)
plus Midori and Jean Yves Thibaudet doing a complete cycle of Beethoven Violin Sonatas January 31-Feb. 1st at Segerstrom.

Daniil playing all Bach. The Chaconne transcription by Brahms, the Rach transcription of the E major violin partita , the Lizst transcription of the organ Fantasia and Fugue in g minor, followed by the complete The Art of Fugue.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
cmb13 and I are going to be attending this Stephen Hough performance on Saturday evening, April 18th @ 8:00PM at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC. If anyone else is going to be attending, let us know and we can all go chill in one of the members lounges:

National Symphony Orchestra: Langrée conducts Brahms's First / Hough plays Beethoven

National Symphony Orchestra
[quote]Louis Langrée, conductor *
Stephen Hough, piano
J. Wolfe: Fountain of Youth
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3
Brahms: Symphony No. 1

With its grand orchestration and stormy, romantic movements, Beethoven’s Third Piano Concerto is a vital precursor to the composer’s “heroic” middle-period style, which the NSO explores later this season in Beethoven at 250. Stephen Hough effortlessly conquers the concerto, which demands remarkable mastery and range of color from the soloist. Brahms’s radiant First Symphony and Julia Wolfe’s Fountain of Youth complete the program, making a thrilling NSO debut for conductor Louis Langrée, Music Director of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Can’t wait!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sounds amazing - enjoy! And I'm a tiny bit jealous that you get to meet up just like that. Silly ocean, always in the way.

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission