2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
26 registered members (earlofmar, BachToTheFuture, barbaram, Catlady, Animisha, EssBrace, 6 invisible), 264 guests, and 481 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I Need help with these cords please #2887131 09/05/19 06:35 AM
F
FeRGan Offline OP
OP Offline
F
The piece is Socrate by Erik Satie. I have been trying to figure out how to play the chords in the bar "smoothly connected". There is a pedal sign ">" in the bar before, I believe. I wasn't sure if the new bar cancelled it out. I assumed it did since there were slur lines over the whole set of chords. The sign "m.g" is also present, which I found out means to play with the left hand, which makes it even more awkward. I have included the passages below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[Linked Image]

][Linked Image]

fergan59
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: FeRGan] #2887137 09/05/19 07:03 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You have to do legato pedalling, which is something every aspiring pianist needs to master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_d8oask2VU

Without it, on cannot successfully play vast swaths of the piano rep from the late-Classical onwards.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: bennevis] #2887141 09/05/19 07:07 AM
F
FeRGan Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks, I will look into it. Is it odd that there wasn't an indication that this needed to be done?

fergan59
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: FeRGan] #2887149 09/05/19 07:19 AM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by FeRGan
Thanks, I will look into it. Is it odd that there wasn't an indication that this needed to be done?

No, legato pedalling - in fact, pedalling in general - is taken for granted by composers, unless they want some specific effect (like Beethoven in Moonlight). And it isn't set in stone.

Graham Fitch explains why in his video.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: FeRGan] #2887161 09/05/19 08:12 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by FeRGan
There is a pedal sign ">" in the bar before, I believe. I wasn't sure if the new bar cancelled it out.

This sign is not a pedal sign, it is an accentuation mark that you have to highlight that note or chord. When there is a pedal sign, the bar does not cancel it; it is cancelled by a specific sign. Sometimes also there is a pedal indication but no details as to how to apply it; typically the moonlight sonata, where Beethoven indicates it has to be played without dampers but gives no specifics as to how exactly. It is up to you to know the general usage of pedal for that musical period and also obviously based on the score itself and your personal interpretative bias.

Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: FeRGan] #2887168 09/05/19 08:32 AM
Muove Offline
I'm not sure but I would guess the m.g. is only for the bottom notes, a sort of contrapunctal melody, while the right hand plays the three topmost notes as chords? It would make this a whole lot feasable.
Still, syncopated pedaling will probably be needed.
Also note that in makin chords connect you dont't have to play all notes legato. It usually suffices to play one or two lines between the chords connected.

Last edited by Muove; 09/05/19 08:35 AM.

Kawai K3 upright - Roland FP30 digital piano
Started from scratch august 2014
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: FeRGan] #2887176 09/05/19 08:37 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Just to check that you understand the m.g. Just means the bottom notes in the measure( with the stems pointing down) and not the entire chord

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: dogperson] #2887213 09/05/19 10:29 AM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by dogperson
Just to check that you understand the m.g. Just means the bottom notes in the measure( with the stems pointing down) and not the entire chord

Just to clarify: As it appears on my screen, the two top notes of each chord are played with the right hand, the two bottom notes with the left hand.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: BruceD] #2887249 09/05/19 11:52 AM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Just to clarify: As it appears on my screen, the two top notes of each chord are played with the right hand, the two bottom notes with the left hand.

Regards,

Exactly. Mind the stem direction.
The first chord is FAC with L, F with R.
The second is Bb-Bb with L (octave), D-F with R.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: Sidokar] #2887250 09/05/19 11:54 AM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar

This sign is not a pedal sign, it is an accentuation mark that you have to highlight that note or chord.

Exactly.
Originally Posted by Sidokar

When there is a pedal sign, the bar does not cancel it; it is cancelled by a specific sign....

Usually looks like an asterisk.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: BruceD] #2887258 09/05/19 12:04 PM
R
RogerRL Offline
R

Regards,

And, besides that, who cares what Satie or the publisher thought about which hands to play with? Do what it takes to play the passage musically. Probably the m.g. as notated is the easiest way to play it, but I'd be careful to explore how to voice it; as written they look like chunky chords, but the previous few measures show two independent voices in the left hand. I'm guessing I'd use m.g. on the bottom two notes as notated, but maybe not voice it as if I was playing it that way.

I have some Satie scores that offer very dubious chord separations. I know in this case it is an editorial edition as I found the original scores online and they did not include the markings. In any case I just do whatever works best for my hands, so long as I can honor note duration and such.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: cmb13] #2887327 09/05/19 04:38 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by cmb13

Regards,

You write "exactly" then you contradict what I wrote.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: BruceD] #2887328 09/05/19 04:48 PM
cmb13 Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

Regards,

You write "exactly" then you contradict what I wrote.

Regards,

Testy! No I agreed in concept of using both hands just differed on the first C. I thought the L had FAC bc I couldn’t see that the stem reached the C on the R. I just zoomed up more and see the F and A are L, C and F right. Couldn’t see it well. Sorrrryy.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Re: I Need help with these cords please [Re: FeRGan] #2887352 09/05/19 05:51 PM
MichaelJK Offline
A lot of your confusion will be cleared up if you try a different way of thinking about music notation.

A musical score is not an instruction manual for how to play a piece. When you first start learning, it does seem that way, because there are instructions on the page.

The score tells you, for example:
- what notes to play
- rhythms
- dynamics
- articulation
- pedaling, sometimes

These are all elements of music which are immediately audible. If you do them correctly, the listener will hear something that sounds like music. So yeah, you might view those as instructions.

However, as you notice, there are certain things that don't make sense when you look at it that way:
- there can be multiple fingerings that work
- playing with the left hand vs. the right hand may be subjective
- pedaling is often left out, or notated very haphazardly

There are also many important elements of music which are simply not notated, such as the relative dynamics of notes within a chord, or the structure of phrases and harmonic progressions.

As a pianist, you view the score as an instruction manual. You should be aware that great composers do not view it that way. That is, they are not thinking of themselves as giving you a piano lesson (unless perhaps they are writing music aimed at students). Instead, they view the score as a way of capturing on paper their overall vision for the piece.

So, you should read music the same way. Try to get a sense of what the composer meant to say. Why was it written that way, and not some other way? Is there a better way of writing it? Is there a way of simplifying it (leaving out notes), and still getting the main point across? What is the main point, anyway? Answering these questions will help you understand much more deeply what is written there.

Finally, recognize that you are a human being, apart from the composer. What makes musical performance interesting, in my opinion, is that the composer's vision doesn't come to life until it is filtered through you, the performing artist. In that sense, you must own the music. When you watch a great actor onscreen, they aren't merely reading a script. They actually become the character (even if it means violating the script), and that's why viewing their performance is a great experience.

This all requires bringing more of yourself to the table, and letting go of the need for "correctness" to some degree. So there's a risk, emotionally. You have to decide if it's worth the risk.

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,317
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission