2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations I think you knew it was going to be a GX
grand somewhere inside of youself from pg 1
Here is something to show the grand action of a very
ordinary French piano (an upright )
Sorry I should say the grand action of the pianist ?

https://youtu.be/ez_X4em2f9M

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
Lisitsa playing that liszt on what appears to be a public or 'street' piano - - Rameau pianos aren't the usual public 'beater' instrument. before they went bankrupt, they were connected at various times to Pleyel and Schimmel, and usually regarded as an upper-middle grade piano.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Congratulations I think you knew it was going to be a GX
grand somewhere inside of youself from pg 1
Here is something to show the grand action of a very
ordinary French piano (an upright )
Sorry I should say the grand action of the pianist ?

https://youtu.be/ez_X4em2f9M

Valentina is excellent!

[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Perhaps about the same level as the Bechstein A124 then ?
In the Music Instruments Museum in Paris they have various
18th and 19th century instruments ,Forte Pianos and Pianos
The last item was a typical Yamaha baby grand and a Rameau
upright.(no doubt to represent common 20th century instruments
in contemporary France.)
We had visited a piano store the day before and there we had seen
a Rameau upright .,no doubt that was a stencil.(2018)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by huaidongxi
Lisitsa playing that liszt on what appears to be a public or 'street' piano - - Rameau pianos aren't the usual public 'beater' instrument. before they went bankrupt, they were connected at various times to Pleyel and Schimmel, and usually regarded as an upper-middle grade piano.

Except that particular Rameau has something wrong with it. There are some keys that don't make a sound. You can see her press but there isn't any sound. (I've watched that video about 10 times. And I know every note since it's my favorite piece smile )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I do not see anything at all what you see ! How odd?

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
We all know it is a street piano and not a concert grand .,I do not have the music here and unlike you I am not that fond of Liszt.The pianist does have mannerisms where she seems to wave her hand over keys’😊
Perhaps that is what you see ! Discuss in the pianist forum. This is OT.
I would say Valentina is too committed to bringing music to everyone to deliberately deceive!

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/21/19 09:41 PM. Reason: Missing word
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
We all know it is a street piano and not a concert grand .,I do not have the music here and unlike you I am not that fond of Liszt.The pianist does have mannerisms where she seems to wave her hand over keys’😊
I would say Valentina is too committed to bringing music to everyone to deliberately deceive!

This is not OT: there have been recent posts on this forum which could have been posted on another forum ‘ your brain.on piano’ posted by Frank, a Gregory Peck Suspense, link to the ABF recital and many others. No one cares or calls out the post as OT.

No one is saying Valentina deceived: she played a public piano with possibly some non functioning keys. No deception was suggested and no big deal. This should not be made an issue.

Last edited by dogperson; 08/21/19 10:35 PM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson

This is not OT: there have been recent posts on this forum which could have been posted on another forum ‘ your brain.on piano’ posted by Frank, a Gregory Peck Suspense, link to the ABF recital and many others. No one cares or calls out the post as OT.

No one is saying Valentina deceived: she played a public piano with possibly some non functioning keys. No deception was suggested and no big deal. This should not be made an issue.

Why don't you just calm down ! I did not know what exactly he meant.Go and practice or something
and stop being so absolutely nasty !
The Youtube movie is quite unclear to see perfectly.What does he expect a perfect street piano.
Educate yourself look at some of the other Youtube videos Valentina uses ,some really awful street pianos.
You should ask yourself why this makes you so very angry ?
Why I said it is OT is because I was hoping to hear more from the OP not from you!

S
S
If the op is anything like me (which looks like) he has no choice but to buy the Estonia 168. Chances are super high you buy twice and pay much more after all like I did: went from NI Komplete 64 to Kawai MP11 SE to Yamaha N1X to Yamaha C6X SE2 within months....

Your heart beats clearly for the 168 Estonia right from the beginning and it sounds like you can afford altho barely. I would check that one again.

Last edited by StefVR; 09/04/19 08:42 AM.
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by StefVR
If the op is anything like me (which looks like) he has no choice but to buy the Estonia 168. Chances are super high you buy twice and pay much more after all like I did: went from NI Komplete 64 to Kawai MP11 SE to Yamaha N1X to Yamaha C6X SE2 within months....

Your heart beats clearly for the 168 Estonia right from the beginning and it sounds like you can afford altho barely. I would check that one again.

Yes, my heart beats clearly for the Estonia 168, and in previous years I would've purchased the Estonia without batting an eyelash.

This time around, I've decided to take the practical approach. I think I'm going with what many people here have recommended - the K-500. I didn't want to post this until I was sure. I think I'm now pretty sure.

My reasons for this are:

1. I love the Estonia 168, but I can't get myself to pay that much money for a first time acoustic piano for a beginner (i.e., myself);

2. The Estonia will put a strain on my finances for a couple of years - while doable, it won't be carefree;

3. The GX-2, although less expensive than the Estonia, was still quite a bit more than the K-500, and I didn't love it like I loved the Estonia; if I got the GX-2, it would be because it was an instrument with great value (i.e., you get a lot of piano for the price, that kind of thing); it would be a compromise, and an expensive one at that;

4. I decided that the higher end/more expensive uprights (e.g., Boston, C. Bechstein Academy, YUS5) were too close in price to the GX-2, and if I were to get one of those, I might as well get the grand action in the GX-2;

5. I concluded that the K-300 and K-500 were the most practical for me as an adult beginner; these were significantly less of a financial burden; they have great resale value and resale prospects; and although I didn't fall in love with them like I did with the Estonia, I still enjoyed their sound and action. I decided I could splurge on the K-500 instead of the K-300 for the added height and Neotex keys. Plus, I was already spending several times less than an Estonia, so I thought the splurge was warranted. LOL.grin

As for upgrading in the future? Yes! Absolutely! My husband and I agreed that if I get to RCM grade 5 (not a firm grade level, just something we threw out there during discussions), I could upgrade to a grand of my liking. The rationale is that by grade 5, we will both be sure that I'm in this for the long haul and that I'm serious about piano. And by then, I would be a more experienced pianist and have a better understanding of my wants and needs.

I want to thank everybody who helped me get to this decision, and there are lots of you! Thank you! Everyone's opinion helped in one way or another.

Kawai K500
Beautiful. Congrats on your decision. I was a returning adult student and found a used K5 in great shape and felt similarly. If things take off I'll invest in the grand, but felt the K5 had great sound and had a few premium qualities to it that would make me happy and encourage me to play. I really love the K5. Hopefully you'll love the 500!!

Best of luck to you!!

N
N
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Originally Posted by StefVR

Yes, my heart beats clearly for the Estonia 168, and in previous years I would've purchased the Estonia without batting an eyelash.

This time around, I've decided to take the practical approach. I think I'm going with what many people here have recommended - the K-500. I didn't want to post this until I was sure. I think I'm now pretty sure.

My reasons for this are:

1. I love the Estonia 168, but I can't get myself to pay that much money for a first time acoustic piano for a beginner (i.e., myself);

2. The Estonia will put a strain on my finances for a couple of years - while doable, it won't be carefree;

3. The GX-2, although less expensive than the Estonia, was still quite a bit more than the K-500, and I didn't love it like I loved the Estonia; if I got the GX-2, it would be because it was an instrument with great value (i.e., you get a lot of piano for the price, that kind of thing); it would be a compromise, and an expensive one at that;

4. I decided that the higher end/more expensive uprights (e.g., Boston, C. Bechstein Academy, YUS5) were too close in price to the GX-2, and if I were to get one of those, I might as well get the grand action in the GX-2;

5. I concluded that the K-300 and K-500 were the most practical for me as an adult beginner; these were significantly less of a financial burden; they have great resale value and resale prospects; and although I didn't fall in love with them like I did with the Estonia, I still enjoyed their sound and action. I decided I could splurge on the K-500 instead of the K-300 for the added height and Neotex keys. Plus, I was already spending several times less than an Estonia, so I thought the splurge was warranted. LOL.grin

As for upgrading in the future? Yes! Absolutely! My husband and I agreed that if I get to RCM grade 5 (not a firm grade level, just something we threw out there during discussions), I could upgrade to a grand of my liking. The rationale is that by grade 5, we will both be sure that I'm in this for the long haul and that I'm serious about piano. And by then, I would be a more experienced pianist and have a better understanding of my wants and needs.

I want to thank everybody who helped me get to this decision, and there are lots of you! Thank you! Everyone's opinion helped in one way or another.

This is a beautifully thought out, rational decision. You clearly understand the balance between what you want and what you need. Congratulations on the new piano! Enjoy and wish your playing technique quickly advances!

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations, and best wishes for much enjoyment!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, and enjoy your new piano!

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
WeakLeftHand,
Have you actually bought the K500?

W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
Thank you for the congratulations everyone!

WeakLeftHand,
Have you actually bought the K500?

Haha, no, not yet. blush

Currently in final negotiations with the dealer.

Kawai K500
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Good ! just keep calm ! (me too!.)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Breathe in, breathe out....

[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by NobleHouse

Breathe in, breathe out....

Yes, in...out...in...out...

Now that I’ve made my decision, I feel so at peace. Weird, huh?

Now I’ve gotta go figure out where in my piano/yoga room I’m going to put it...and how to furnish that room with a rug and fabric stuff! And I gotta get my husband to do some minor renovations in that room before the piano arrives!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 09/04/19 08:34 PM.

Kawai K500
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission