2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (anotherscott, 36251, AaronSF, Bill McKaig,RPT, chopinetto, 12 invisible), 535 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I wish I could play...
iLogic #2886475 09/03/19 05:37 AM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There's the whole hurdle of learning the notes, playing as a performance and not making mistakes whilst you play which I find the hardest part of all.

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
iLogic #2886480 09/03/19 06:10 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I remember one of the latest concerts of Evgeni Bozhanov. For encore he played an unknown piece, very quiet, very lyrical. The entire hall was like enchanted, you could feel magic happening in his playing with every single note singing.

I thought it was a pianistic piece which is relatively difficult, at least that’s how it sounded to me. I had to research a lot to discover that the piece is actually a song for voice and piano called Morgen, by Richard Strauss, transcribed for solo piano by Max Reger. I found it on IMSLP and to my amazement it turned out to be so simple I could sight read it from start to end with no mistakes. But I can’t make it sing at all frown

Evgeni Bozhanov has included it as a title piece on his album Morgen to be released this month and the entire piece is available as a preview on Apple Music:
Evgeni Bozhanov - Morgen

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
mwf #2886482 09/03/19 06:13 AM
I
iLogic Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by iLogic
Originally Posted by mwf
So many other pieces to choose from but everyone wants to play those ones, beethoven wrote over 30 piano sonatas, liszt wrote more paganini etudes and rhapsodies, all very great pieces.

Well yes, of course. I’ve learnt a lot of my favorite pieces already, and I’m on track on brushing up on a few I’ve started to forget, and I’m learning some new ones. All technically easier than these 3 (Moonlight Sonata 1st movement is one of my favorites for example, as well as Clair de Lune and I’m currently learning Chopin’s Nocturne in C-sharp minor).

These 3 are just some of the biggest challenges to master, if you are able to play these, you should pretty much be able to master all (or at least almost all) of the rest.

Not true. They are all relatively easy advanced pieces of music, moonlight sonata.. Try Hammerklavier, la campanella... Try mazzeppa, feux follets or his beethoven symphony transcriptions or gallop A minor amongst loads of others... Hungarian rhapsody 2 is another standard advanced piece, some of the others are much harder like no.11 and no. 14, he did write 19 of them.

People tend to play these popular classical pieces purely to look good to non pianists as show off pieces.

I think you might have misunderstood me. The one's I listed here are easier. Sonata 3rd Mvt, La Campanella and HR no.2 were the ones I meant was the hardest pieces. Sure the Sonata isn't on par with Liszt's in terms of difficulty, but it's still difficult.

Of course there are others as well. La Contrabandista for example...

iLogic #2886484 09/03/19 06:16 AM
I
iLogic Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I'm kinda obsessed with Chopin at the moment. When I've mastered Nocturne in C-sharp Minor I will give Nocturne no.13 in C minor OP 48 no.1 a go.

CyberGene #2886489 09/03/19 06:41 AM
T
T
I heard Jessie Norman sing this years ago and she was magical. I would suggest listening to The Four Last Songs also by Strauss.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
I remember one of the latest concerts of Evgeni Bozhanov. For encore he played an unknown piece, very quiet, very lyrical. The entire hall was like enchanted, you could feel magic happening in his playing with every single note singing.

I thought it was a pianistic piece which is relatively difficult, at least that’s how it sounded to me. I had to research a lot to discover that the piece is actually a song for voice and piano called Morgen, by Richard Strauss, transcribed for solo piano by Max Reger. I found it on IMSLP and to my amazement it turned out to be so simple I could sight read it from start to end with no mistakes. But I can’t make it sing at all frown

Evgeni Bozhanov has included it as a title piece on his album Morgen to be released this month and the entire piece is available as a preview on Apple Music:
Evgeni Bozhanov - Morgen

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
CyberGene #2886504 09/03/19 07:36 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Evgeni Bozhanov - Morgen

Thanks for that heads-up for that lovely song transcription, which is just about the only slow dreamy piece I currently play. smirk

Though I play it slightly faster - sustaining a long melody entirely on the piano (especially with notes above and below it and a different counter-melody in the accompaniment) doesn't work so well when played too slowly, even on my magnificent digital with its long sustain. wink

I got his CD of 'Evgeni Bozhanov live in Warsaw' a few years ago (after the Chopin Competition 2010) and was pretty impressed.

This is one of the best versions of the original song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvWBvyrMfU

Though in many ways, the orchestral version works better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qURtlClAkGU (I play it at this speed)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
iLogic #2886506 09/03/19 07:38 AM
My current 'I wish I could play'. . . .

iLogic #2886541 09/03/19 11:18 AM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think she is from another planet smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #2886545 09/03/19 11:43 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I think I believe in extra-terrestrial beings.
Originally Posted by EPW
I think she is from another planet smile

Is this the UFO convention?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
iLogic #2886555 09/03/19 12:03 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If it is, I'm going.

iLogic #2886558 09/03/19 12:15 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by iLogic
I'm kinda obsessed with Chopin at the moment. When I've mastered Nocturne in C-sharp Minor I will give Nocturne no.13 in C minor OP 48 no.1 a go.

As some Chopin pieces, the first half is calm and not so demanding, but at half way poing.... I quit it until i can do better, but im hopping to finish it at some point.

My piano history in about 15 months: Artesia PA88w -> Yamaha P45 -> Kawai CN 24 -> Kawai CN 37 -> Kawai CA 78
Done with: Clair de Lune - Debussy, Waltz Op. 64 no. 2 - Chopin. Looking for a new piece, kind of learning The Mandalorian theme, and practicing with Etude Op.10 no.1 - Chopin.
AlphaBravoCharlie #2886559 09/03/19 12:17 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie

I agree 100%. Playing 'correct' notes is just the first step. I hear so many piano performances of technically demanding pieces on YouTube, which leave me cold. Maybe I'm jealous, because my technique is lacking wink But I have much more pleasure in listening to even simple pieces played with emotions which is translated by rich articulation.

I agree with this 100%. I found I like playing slower pieces and trying to bring out more emotions.
Whether I'm successful or not is another story grin
My wife likes when I doodle around on the keyboard cool

Tyrone Slothrop #2886745 09/04/19 02:53 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I doubt these pieces super technical are feasible for me.
What I'd like to be able to play:

What I am currently "working" on (never mind the ridiculous speed on this one, obviously I "play" it at a snails pace.... an asthmatic snail with a walker that is. laugh )
My teacher still thinks it's cool but my assessment is that the piece is too far "out there" atm. laugh

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
iLogic #2886789 09/04/19 07:13 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very nice the piece in the last video above. I played many japanese RPG. They are full of evocative piano pieces. Sometimes the music is what make me want to play a game more than the game itself.

iLogic #2886799 09/04/19 07:34 AM
A
A
I've never played Final Fantasy video game, but I've heard piece called 'Yuna's Ballad' in some VST comparision. Really easy to play but fun sounding at the same time. My poor attempt:

Btw, can someone help me identify THIS piece? I've heard it somewhere and only remember this phrase. It sounds 'japanese', so I went through hundreds of Final Fantasy soundtrack songs, Yiruma's albums, but so far no success frown

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
iLogic #2886807 09/04/19 07:46 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I wonder how many people love to play the music from a game or anime film/show, but actually dislike the game/film/show itself? Or are liking one and the other inextricably tied?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2886816 09/04/19 08:12 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I wonder how many people love to play the music from a game or anime film/show, but actually dislike the game/film/show itself? Or are liking one and the other inextricably tied?

When I watch a movie or a series together with my husband, and I am a bit bored I secretly close my eyes and start listening to the music instead. And almost invariably find the music more interesting. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
AlphaBravoCharlie #2886830 09/04/19 08:42 AM
R
R

Btw, can someone help me identify THIS piece? I've heard it somewhere and only remember this phrase. It sounds 'japanese', so I went through hundreds of Final Fantasy soundtrack songs, Yiruma's albums, but so far no success frown
This is some variant of "Believe Me" from the anime Steins;Gate. I do not recall the exact name of this particular track.

Last edited by rach3master; 09/04/19 08:43 AM.

Youtube piano recordings (classical music/video games/anime): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh9N3Xirs86USDQXE1WiwXg
Kawai Novus NV-10 / Yamaha Avantgrand N1 with Garritan CFX VST
rach3master #2886842 09/04/19 09:02 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by rach3master

This is some variant of "Believe Me" from the anime Steins;Gate. I do not recall the exact name of this particular track.

OMG, so much thank you, rach3master! I've been searching this for so long.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
AlphaBravoCharlie #2886975 09/04/19 03:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never played Final Fantasy video game, but I've heard piece called 'Yuna's Ballad' in some VST comparision. Really easy to play but fun sounding at the same time. My poor attempt:

[...]
I remember that piece, it's very nice.
Is that a Korg Grandpiano88 ? From what I can see from your playing I feel you use a very hard velocity curve, right? I notice you bang much harder with the right hand to make the main melody line come out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
To Hanon or not to Hanon
by ZanderChicago - 11/24/20 12:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,022
Posts3,026,755
Members99,360
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission