2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
58 members (chipsneeze, accordeur, Chrispy, 36251, anotherscott, c++, 20 invisible), 409 guests, and 507 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I wish I could play...
#2885875 09/01/19 01:15 PM
I
iLogic Offline OP
OP Offline
I

La Campanella and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. That would be so awesome. Oh and why not Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement as well.

Anyone played any of these? I’m guessing the Liszt ones are incredibly hard, almost impossible on my NU1X, given the upright action. Beethoven is hard as well of course, but it seems more manageable. Also, my hands aren’t oversized, that’s a minus as well.

I’m watching these pros on YouTube and it makes me want to play these pieces so so much. But one can at least dream right?

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: I wish I could play...
iLogic #2885880 09/01/19 01:29 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by iLogic

La Campanella and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2. That would be so awesome. Oh and why not Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement as well.

Anyone played any of these? I’m guessing the Liszt ones are incredibly hard, almost impossible on my NU1X, given the upright action. Beethoven is hard as well of course, but it seems more manageable. Also, my hands aren’t oversized, that’s a minus as well.

I’m watching these pros on YouTube and it makes me want to play these pieces so so much. But one can at least dream right?

You can.

Let that "dream" inspire you and serve as daily incentive to get to work at making the dream come true.

It can happen you know.

You just have to make up your mind you are going to do your part.

Good Luck

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
iLogic #2885881 09/01/19 01:29 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
iLogic #2885887 09/01/19 02:03 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
So many other pieces to choose from but everyone wants to play those ones, beethoven wrote over 30 piano sonatas, liszt wrote more paganini etudes and rhapsodies, all very great pieces.

mwf #2885893 09/01/19 02:24 PM
I
iLogic Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by mwf
So many other pieces to choose from but everyone wants to play those ones, beethoven wrote over 30 piano sonatas, liszt wrote more paganini etudes and rhapsodies, all very great pieces.

Well yes, of course. I’ve learnt a lot of my favorite pieces already, and I’m on track on brushing up on a few I’ve started to forget, and I’m learning some new ones. All technically easier than these 3 (Moonlight Sonata 1st movement is one of my favorites for example, as well as Clair de Lune and I’m currently learning Chopin’s Nocturne in C-sharp minor).

These 3 are just some of the biggest challenges to master, if you are able to play these, you should pretty much be able to master all (or at least almost all) of the rest.

iLogic #2885902 09/01/19 03:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think there are many other great artists apart the usual mentioned.
I'm just starting on my DP with classical music. I learned Fur Elise, now I'm trying to learn Gurlitt Op.107 n.1, 4, 6, 7, 8. They are very nice and fun and in some of them I hear a little of Beethoven and Chopin, but with less dramatic emphasis. I'm searching for little but very expressive pieces like these.

From Chopin I wish I could play Fantasie Impromptu and Étude no.12 op.10, but for now they are too advanced for me (and maybe they always will be). I have my fingers a little sore just for playing many many times Fur Elise trying to reach a satisfactory result (and I'm not yet satisfied). So, I guess for now I'll learn some Gurlitt works. laugh

iLogic #2885917 09/01/19 03:46 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
All of final fantasy music, and kingdom hearts especially this one

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
iLogic #2885924 09/01/19 03:57 PM
C
C
I have played the 3rd movement of moonlight and I wouldn't even know where to start with either of the liszt pieces! I think they are still a big step up from that. I also have pretty small hands there's only a few bits of moonlight sonata that it's a problem and you just get by that with a quick ripple!

iLogic #2885926 09/01/19 04:13 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
La Campanella

RCM level 12

and Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2.

RCM level 11

Oh and why not Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement as well.

AGME Grade 8 (about RCM level 9)

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
iLogic #2885966 09/01/19 05:45 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It has to be so easy, if even little children can play it:

laugh

Try to go to 5:44 of this:

I think I believe in extra-terrestrial beings.

iLogic #2885995 09/01/19 07:09 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
8 year old

a not 8 year old (but blindfolded)

[Linked Image]

iLogic #2886006 09/01/19 07:20 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I got most of the third movement of Moonlight when I was 16ish. I never was able to master it though. Same thing with Hungarian Rhapsody I probably had 90% of it down and never could get the rest. This was at around age 19 or so in age.

I have no desire to go back and try them now in my mid 50's. I'm enjoying playing more from lead sheets these days. I'm glad I took lesson when I was a kid smile

Last edited by EPW; 09/01/19 07:21 PM.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #2886013 09/01/19 07:42 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
I got most of the third movement of Moonlight when I was 16ish. I never was able to master it though. Same thing with Hungarian Rhapsody I probably had 90% of it down and never could get the rest. This was at around age 19 or so in age.

I have no desire to go back and try them now in my mid 50's. I'm enjoying playing more from lead sheets these days. I'm glad I took lesson when I was a kid smile

How many years of lessons did you have as a kid? And did you pause your piano playing any between then and now? Or have you pretty much played continuously since you started?

[Linked Image]

iLogic #2886038 09/01/19 09:52 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
My Aunt taught me beginner stuff when I was 5 and then I took lessons from age 8-21. But I had other things going on so I was an average student. Plus I was one of those that didn't like classical music at the time.
I see now how it helped me but I fought until I was maybe 14 years old. I never could do the Aural training to this day because of hearing issues, so I knew I wasn't going to pursue it as a major in college. Wish I would of got a minor in music though.

Long story short I gave up piano for a good 10 years after my brother attempted suicide when I was just short of age 21. I went in a downward spiral myself where I didn't touch the piano at all. I ended up getting a digital piano so I could play at nighttime 25 years ago and have been playing for relaxation and enjoyment every since. I remember for the first two years after I brought the piano, I would practice from 10pm to midnight almost every day. I then joined some church groups playing keys for contemporary worship. I'm glad I got back to playing as that is how I met my now wife. I was playing for one of the church groups and she joined the group.

I guess I can say that music does heal the soul.

peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
iLogic #2886302 09/02/19 03:02 PM
G
G
People usually get into piano from hearing the most popular pieces. For me, i learned as a kid on my school the "chorus" of some popular pieces like for elise, some mozart ones, but just playing on a small keyboard with the right hand. So after about 20 years, when i started learning proper piano(proper as in a real like piano, a digital one, not that im taking classes or anything), i really didnt want to play what everyone knows and play, its like playing "por una cabeza" on violin(i learned violine for about 2-3 years), it gets tiresome to hear the same pieces from everyone (including street players).

But well, i still play some very comon pieces, but i just happen to like them, mostly Chopin, from a pianist called Tziv Erez i started to follow a couple years before getting into piano finally, so i had an idea of what pieces i wanted to play.

Moonlight Sonata mov 3 is also on that list, aswell as Fantasi Impromptu, Ballade no1, Appasionata mov 3, etc.

My piano history in about 15 months: Artesia PA88w -> Yamaha P45 -> Kawai CN 24 -> Kawai CN 37 -> Kawai CA 78
Done with: Clair de Lune - Debussy, Waltz Op. 64 no. 2 - Chopin. Looking for a new piece, kind of learning The Mandalorian theme, and practicing with Etude Op.10 no.1 - Chopin.
iLogic #2886372 09/02/19 07:31 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by mwf

Well yes, of course. I’ve learnt a lot of my favorite pieces already, and I’m on track on brushing up on a few I’ve started to forget, and I’m learning some new ones. All technically easier than these 3 (Moonlight Sonata 1st movement is one of my favorites for example, as well as Clair de Lune and I’m currently learning Chopin’s Nocturne in C-sharp minor).

These 3 are just some of the biggest challenges to master, if you are able to play these, you should pretty much be able to master all (or at least almost all) of the rest.

Not true. They are all relatively easy advanced pieces of music, moonlight sonata.. Try Hammerklavier, la campanella... Try mazzeppa, feux follets or his beethoven symphony transcriptions or gallop A minor amongst loads of others... Hungarian rhapsody 2 is another standard advanced piece, some of the others are much harder like no.11 and no. 14, he did write 19 of them.

People tend to play these popular classical pieces purely to look good to non pianists as show off pieces.

mwf #2886441 09/03/19 02:33 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by mwf

People tend to play these popular classical pieces purely to look good to non pianists as show off pieces.

Non-pianists will often be impressed with the scale of C Major if it is played well.

You might even be asked, "How do you remember all that?"

iLogic #2886447 09/03/19 03:04 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I’ve been recently obsessed with not so flashy pieces. I prefer lyrical romantic repertoire that is often not (very) technically demanding but I’ve come to realize it requires a lot of dedication to make it sing and flow, almost like a song. I’m more concerned about that exquisite feel and lyricism than purely technical skills. Maybe it’s some compensatory complex I have developed due to lacking very good technique which is a result of being self taught for so many years and it’s probably too late now to repair that frown And so I concentrate more to interpretation, feel, rubato, fine pedaling, etc. IMO it’s almost equally difficult to do well.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #2886450 09/03/19 03:14 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I’ve been recently obsessed with not so flashy pieces. I prefer lyrical romantic repertoire that is often not (very) technically demanding but I’ve come to realize it requires a lot of dedication to make it sing and flow, almost like a song. I’m more concerned about that exquisite feel and lyricism than purely technical skills. Maybe it’s some compensatory complex I have developed due to lacking very good technique which is a result of being self taught for so many years and it’s probably too late now to repair that frown And so I concentrate more to interpretation, feel, rubato, fine pedaling, etc. IMO it’s almost equally difficult to do well.

So true, and it can take an age to get a piece to sing like you want it to. For me getting it to sing how I want takes about 80% of the time.

CyberGene #2886462 09/03/19 03:56 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by CyberGene

I agree 100%. Playing 'correct' notes is just the first step. I hear so many piano performances of technically demanding pieces on YouTube, which leave me cold. Maybe I'm jealous, because my technique is lacking wink But I have much more pleasure in listening to even simple pieces played with emotions which is translated by rich articulation.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,171
Posts3,029,031
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission