2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I have a Linksys Velop mesh system and like it. My only complaint is you need android or iOS to set it up. You can't set it up with a web browser like before. That said it was straight forward and works really well. The advantage of a Mesh system over a extender is the Mesh system doesn't lose speed.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #2885441 08/31/19 09:41 AM
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by EPW
I have a Linksys Velop mesh system and like it. My only complaint is you need android or iOS to set it up. You can't set it up with a web browser like before. That said it was straight forward and works really well. The advantage of a Mesh system over a extender is the Mesh system doesn't lose speed.

Haha, as the old saying goes, speak of the devil and the devil appears! I have been struggling for days to set up the Velop. It has been a nightmare and I have been on the phone for hours with tech support.

Now, you set it up with a web browser or an iOS or Android app. You can add nodes attached to a wire or wirelessly. I’ve tried everything. You can add a node by pressing the reset button on the parent five times quickly. At one point I had three nodes working and could not add another two. The tech guy had me recycle the parent and the children dropped and cannot be added again. Sigh.

They’ve escalated my case twice now and I am waiting for another call.

Are all of your nodes V1 or V2? My three original are V2 and the two extra are V1. They’re supposed to interoperate. Playing my U1 is a joy compared to fighting the Velop. I had Orbi before before this and it also gave us a lot of trouble.

Last edited by LarryK; 08/31/19 09:43 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well if you give up on them give the Google ones a try.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What was this thread talking about? Mechanical wrist watches? WiFi extenders? Another little derailment here... grin

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
What was this thread talking about? Mechanical wrist watches? WiFi extenders? Another little derailment here... grin

Definitely talking about derailments.

[Linked Image]

So what about derailments?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

In my experience, derailments are often more interesting than the main line. I think we got onto mechanical devices vs digital devices. My apologies.

I was just amused that someone else is happily using the Velop. I would have tried the Google one but it seems to be out of stock until October.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I like derailments smile

This is the main unit: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-MR8300/

With two of these: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WHW0102/

Mine has stayed synced, "knocks on wood" smile

I got the MR8300 because I wanted the xtra Ethernet ports in the back. The WiFi that comes with our ATT-Gateway was always causing us problems. I hope you get yours sorted out. I might replace the dualband Velops with Tri-band if I catch a sale on them. I got the two dual-band units for on $100.00/free shipping. I would put one of the dual-band units out in the garage which is unattached to the house.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Back to clicking Kawai. I was at Kawai dealer a few months ago and I tried CN37, CA78, CA98 and a CA48. I didn't find any clicking on them. Funny thing was I really wanted to try out a CA58. That model they didn't have frown

LarryK #2885466 08/31/19 11:07 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I have to say I have a CN37 from about 2 months and after a month from the purchase I experienced some little noises too in the keys I use more (the 3 central octaves). Not the "thump" from the weights (that is normal), but a little click when you release a key that was fully depressed. It is as if there was some grease applied to the bottom of the button, so, when you release the key, you feel this light "sticky" noise. In this period of the year (very hot) where I live the air can become very humid, so I think that could be a cause. I would be very curious to know exactly what generates this sticky noise and what will happen in the winter season... Will it get worse or will it disappear? What happens to this noise if I don't play the DP for a week or more? Until now I'm playing it almost every day, so I don't know.

I would also be curious to have more info from users who have owned and played on Kawai RH3 mechanics for many years. And what about the competitors plastic keyboards? They suffer from similar noises?

Anyway I almost always use headphones, so I'm not much bothered by this. It might be a little annoying only if I play without headphones and with a very low volume from the internal speakers.

Thank you for sharing, that does sound like the same problem.
Have you contacted your dealer about it? It does seem like a very common 'problem' that only occurs in Kawai products. But I suppose it should not stop anyone from buying it, as the number of complaints are minimal. I suppose it might be what you said, that it only appears during warm weather and only on a subset of pianos.

Last edited by spacewhale; 08/31/19 11:08 AM.
EPW #2885468 08/31/19 11:15 AM
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by EPW
I like derailments smile

This is the main unit: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-MR8300/

With two of these: https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WHW0102/

Mine has stayed synced, "knocks on wood" smile

I got the MR8300 because I wanted the xtra Ethernet ports in the back. The WiFi that comes with our ATT-Gateway was always causing us problems. I hope you get yours sorted out. I might replace the dualband Velops with Tri-band if I catch a sale on them. I got the two dual-band units for on $100.00/free shipping. I would put one of the dual-band units out in the garage which is unattached to the house.

Thanks for the well wishes. All of my devices are Tri-Band. I hope I get it sorted out.

EPW #2885469 08/31/19 11:17 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
Back to clicking Kawai. I was at Kawai dealer a few months ago and I tried CN37, CA78, CA98 and a CA48. I didn't find any clicking on them. Funny thing was I really wanted to try out a CA58. That model they didn't have frown
Of course, on new units you will not hear that noise. It occurs after 1 or 2 months of continuous use (1-2 hours every day).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spacewhale
Thank you for sharing, that does sound like the same problem.
Have you contacted your dealer about it? It does seem like a very common 'problem' that only occurs in Kawai products. But I suppose it should not stop anyone from buying it, as the number of complaints are minimal. I suppose it might be what you said, that it only appears during warm weather and only on a subset of pianos.
Honestly I don't care much about this "problem". I play mostly with headphones and if I play without headphones, the sound of the piano will cover every little click unless you play at very low volume, as I said before. The feeling from this keyboard is very good, so I consider this issue more like a "cosmetic problem". I guess that with wooden actions there are no sticky noises even after some months of playing but they are much more expensive. Many things in life are a compromise... wink

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Of course, on new units you will not hear that noise. It occurs after 1 or 2 months of continuous use (1-2 hours every day).

Over the years I have owned multiple Kawai digital pianos (CA68, Es7, ES8, MP11SE) and have never noticed any clicking.

Also, one thing I have noticed is that those who purchase a new digital piano and have no problems … do not start a thread here to tell us that.

As a very happy Kawai digital piano user (for years), I must highly recommend their product and their service, if needed.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't think that this derailment has derailed the thread. Not at all.

[Linked Image]

That train derailment must surely have made clicking noises. So it's quite on topic, eh?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I don't think that this derailment has derailed the thread. Not at all.

[Linked Image]

That train derailment must surely have made clicking noises. So it's quite on topic, eh?

Speaking of clicking noises, a professional pilot used to write a column in Salon, if I am not mistaken. He recounted a story of being up in a two seater plane with a pilot friend who discovered that there was some noise coming from one of the stabilizers. So, the pilot started moving the stabilizer back and forth to hear or feel the noise. The columnist in the second seat yelled at the guy to not debug this problem in the air! He convinced the pilot to land so they could figure out what was going on.

LarryK #2885531 08/31/19 01:57 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
Speaking of clicking noises, a professional pilot used to write a column in Salon, if I am not mistaken. He recounted a story of being up in a two seater plane with a pilot friend who discovered that there was some noise coming from one of the stabilizers. So, the pilot started moving the stabilizer back and forth to hear or feel the noise. The columnist in the second seat yelled at the guy to not debug this problem in the air! He convinced the pilot to land so they could figure out what was going on.

Smart columnist. And I wonder how many aviations fatalities have resulted from pilots trying to debug in the air? I bet a lot! But we'll never know! shocked

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
dmd #2885549 08/31/19 02:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Over the years I have owned multiple Kawai digital pianos (CA68, Es7, ES8, MP11SE) and have never noticed any clicking.

Also, one thing I have noticed is that those who purchase a new digital piano and have no problems … do not start a thread here to tell us that.

As a very happy Kawai digital piano user (for years), I must highly recommend their product and their service, if needed.
Being that the noise I'm talking about is like there was some lubricating grease where the key rests when fully depressed (and so, when you release the depressed key, a tiny grease drop detaches from the bottom where the key rests causing that sticky noise), I think it's possible that old units don't have this grease, so they don't make click/sticky noises. So, the question could be: why now they place this grease somewhere under the keys? But another question arises: why I hear this sticky noise only from the most played keys (when the unit was brand new I could only hear the classic thumps of the weights)? Maybe this grease was not supposed to be exactly there, but after much playing it has moved/leached under the key in a position where it causes this noise. I don't think I'm just unfortunate, because I read of this issue in other threads from users with the same RH3 action.

P.S.1: you can hear the sticky noise at 0:30 of the following video:

P.S.2: I'm just very curious to know what caused the little noises but, as I said before, to me it's just a cosmetic issue and is not something that could prevent me from buying, for example, an ES8, if I would need a slab piano.

P
P
CN27 begun to click in the center part of the keyboard after 1.5 month of use. I can live with that though as my practice goes in the phones most the time. I was quite concerned about the issue in the beginning but now I barely find it disturbing even when playing through the speakers.

Kawai CN27
E
E
My CA78 is clicking like that, too. I've had it since May, and the clicking is recent (within the last month or two). It's so loud I can hear it over the music when I play. I finally contacted my dealer about it, who said he couldn't hear it in the video I sent. He contacted Kawai though, and it sounds like they're sending some parts (at least that's what I gathered from the voicemail they left on my phone that was obviously intended for the dealer). Besides the clicking (and the buzzing from the touchscreen, which they're also going to look into), I really like my piano though. If everything gets fixed, I'd happily buy another Kawai.

Here's mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yjj9Fq6PWQ&feature=youtu.be

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From that video it's difficult to say if it's the same type of click noise. In my case it's not a plastic sound. It's more as if something sticky remained attached to the bottom of the key when I release it after a full depress.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission