2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
33 registered members (clothearednincompo, Greta99, BachToTheFuture, barbaram, boe2, claburo, ChrisGoesPiano, hag01, camperbc, 6 invisible), 249 guests, and 442 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Transposing? #2885448 08/31/19 09:18 AM
M
Manne janne Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Do classical pianist ever practice transposing things on the piano?
If so what kind of exercises are used?
Do classical pianist ever transpose simple pieces as an exercice?
I myself often transpose simple stuff in order to learn how the music are built up, singing it in different keys (if it has a singable melody), getting a feel for different keys.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885456 08/31/19 09:24 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
I can’t answer for anyone else, but when I played the piano or organ for church, I often transposed hymns so they would be in an easier range to sing. I did not write out the transposition

Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885457 08/31/19 09:27 AM
MichaelJK Offline
I have practiced transposing quite a bit, but it takes time to get good at it! It seems the best way is to practice reading all 7 seven clefs. Once you're good at that, you need to practice transposing the accidentals. It's worth keeping in mind that each transposition is a totally different way of reading music. Practice them one at a time. It's not an all-or-nothing skill.

Here is a good book (but it's in French): https://www.amazon.com/Manuel-pratique-pour-letude-cles/dp/B001BR3S78

Also, this one: https://www.amazon.com/Preparatory-Exercises-Reading-Vorbereitende-Partiturlesen/dp/019321475X

It's definitely worth learning to do this. I wish I were better at it!

Re: Transposing? [Re: MichaelJK] #2885520 08/31/19 12:37 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
[...] It seems the best way is to practice reading all 7 seven clefs.[...]

Seven clefs?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Transposing? [Re: BruceD] #2885524 08/31/19 12:46 PM
MichaelJK Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
[...] It seems the best way is to practice reading all 7 seven clefs.[...]

Seven clefs?

Specifically, the two clefs that pianists are already familiar with (treble and bass), plus the C clef on each line (soprano, mezzo-soprano, alto, tenor, baritone). Once you do this, you will be able to reinterpret any line or space as any other line or space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clef

Last edited by MichaelJK; 08/31/19 12:47 PM.
Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885583 08/31/19 02:55 PM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I
The key to fast transposition is reading music by intervals rather then by individual notes. I think it was discussed here on the forums before.

Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885742 09/01/19 04:56 AM
M
Manne janne Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Is doing special transposing exercices good or can ine simply just take easy stuff and transpose it?
I find that transposing simple minuets is really good.
Why special exercices for transposing?
All I need is analysing the music and how the different keys feel like.

Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885745 09/01/19 05:20 AM
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
My teacher used to play some of his classical pieces in different keys. I have found doing it with shorter ideas, figures and motifs more useful in improvisation than precise transposition of pieces and long sections, but I am not a classical pianist and I do not find precise transposition very exciting musically.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Transposing? [Re: Ted] #2885804 09/01/19 09:13 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted
I have found doing it with shorter ideas, figures and motifs more useful in improvisation than precise transposition of pieces and long sections ... I am not a classical pianist ...

Same here (though I do play a lot of classical)

I started by practicing chords and inversions round the circle and that eventually became short snippets of music round the circle. It’s a great way to “think and play” in different keys, because it forces you to really work with the intervals in each key and pay attention to how they are musically related.

Oddly enough, traditional scales were not so useful for this. Probably because scales are more about the whole block pattern as opposed to the individual tones/intervals. What’s interesting is that doing the whole “round the circle” changed how I view scales; instead of a whole block pattern, I now see scales as a set of tones/intervals with relationships to each other (kinda hard to explain that actually, but mainly I don’t see a scale anymore as the block pattern practiced in traditional scales).

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885867 09/01/19 12:58 PM
keystring Offline
I just remembered a book that I haven't looked at in ages: "Keyboard Proficiency" by Louise Guhl. She is/was a professor who among other things taught piano skills to music majors who played other instruments. Her system was so effective that she was asked to write a book, and that's the book I have. One of the elements in her book involve transposition. A lot of the exercises start, "Transpose in all keys". It worked for me back when I was doing the book. It's a paradigm shift.

As I recall, she sets music out in pentachords - the intervals of 5 notes is limited to only a few patterns, and she then gives exercises in "modal pentaochords", which one then plays in different keys (a different starting note). This ends up being intervalic. She expands from there, "Find the tonic pentachord" and transpose to ...." It would be something to work through, using the book. There's more to it than I just outlined.

Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885889 09/01/19 02:13 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
I can’t remember exactly how I began transposing as a kid but I know it was from curiosity and exploration . . Not from a lesson or a book. It would be something like this (and Im making this up)

Play Happy Birthday or something similar in an easy/simple version
Move what you play down or up: one whole step or one half step. Pay attention to what you do.
If you know keys: what key key did you start in? What key are you playing now?
Try starting on different notes and ask yourself what you are doing and did. How did it change the highest and lowest note in the piece?

Just try experimenting at the piano and see what you can learn from what you do, and how it compares from the original
Then do this with a different piece. Manne, since I think you are playing hymns, try hymns.

The idea of turning this into an exercise to follow out of a book or video may work for others. If so, great..., but the very thought of it gives me a headache. I did this for fun and it was fun to do. No stress, no fuss. Just play around.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885900 09/01/19 02:56 PM
D
dmd Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
D
Transposing by thinking of moving everything up or down by some number of half/whole steps will work but it can be awkward to think of as you are doing it.

What I believe is a preferred method is to wait until you are more aware of how music works and in particular how key centers come into the picture.

Then, you can play Happy Birthday in the key (Key Center) of C by just knowing the tones (scale) and chords that are used in that key and listening to your playing.

To move to another key …. you just do the same thing … only in a different key (Key center) . There is no need to think about how many steps you have moved from one to the other. It is just a matter of thinking in the new key.

Of course, you need to know the various key centers (scales, chords) in order to make this "easy" …. but that would be my recommendation for transposing.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used)
Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2885970 09/01/19 05:54 PM
U
u38cg Offline
U
I recently dedicated some time to playing all 12 scales and all 12 I-IV-I-V7-I cadences in all inversions in major and minor and while I haven't worked on transposition specifically I have noticed that I am now very independent between what is on the page and what my hands are doing - I am reading by scale degree and function, and I can do what I want with that in terms of what keys I actually press.

Ask me about bagpipes.
Re: Transposing? [Re: u38cg] #2885997 09/01/19 07:13 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
@u38cg bagpipes?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Transposing? [Re: Manne janne] #2886035 09/01/19 09:29 PM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Manne janne
Is doing special transposing exercices good or can ine simply just take easy stuff and transpose it?
I find that transposing simple minuets is really good.
Why special exercices for transposing?
All I need is analysing the music and how the different keys feel like.

True, if your goal is not the transposition itself but the ability to better analyze music and get more familiar with keys' 'topography' then on-the-fly mental transposition (without score) is a wonderful thing to do. Very exhaustive although.

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,330
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission