2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (accordeur, AJB, Boboulus, Andrew E., Adem, btcomm, 18 invisible), 741 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Bob,

Did you get your materials yet? When I purchased the course with the two extra books and CD, it took about two or three weeks to arrive. I just order the Teacher's Guide two weeks ago and it arrived today.

I ripped the DVDs into MP4 files of each lesson myself, so I have those and the DVDs as backup. With the MP4s, I can use them with Transcribe! since it has been able to display video for some time now. I can loop a small section and slow it down without changing pitch or watch the whole thing at any speed, so I can be sure to get every drop from each lesson. Transcribe! is a great tool for learning either piano or guitar music by ear, but it also can do the same thing with videos as well as MP3 or WAV files. I thought about the download version, but when I realized it was just the videos, I decided to just do that myself.

In case you are interested, I definitely recommend the Teacher's Guide. It is thicker than the lesson and song books together, so it has quite a bit of material. This book does not teach the course, since that is what the other books and DVDs do, but instead for each lesson, it gives plenty of guidance for how to help a student master the material in each lesson. For the solo piano lessons, it provides more information to help clarify what you are trying to do and how to go about it, as well as how to make sure the student has sufficiently learned the previous lessons to be able to handle this material.

The intent of the book is for typical traditional piano teachers who want to include something of playing pop music in their lesson plans. The book is a thorough guide for the teacher, explain what to expect from the student in terms of difficulty learning a given lesson and how to deal with that, ideas for extra practice of each lesson and assignments to really get a solid handle on the material, etc. In short, for someone teaching him or herself, this book serves as a very nice guide through the territory.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by TonyB
Bob,

Did you get your materials yet? When I purchased the course with the two extra books and CD, it took about two or three weeks to arrive. I just order the Teacher's Guide two weeks ago and it arrived today.

Not yet. He said they'd be here by Wednesday and they weren't. I emailed him AGAIN and he said they'd definitely be here by Thursday or Friday that he'd check the tracking number.

I have to say that in this day and age of easy communication with the customer, this is the worst customer service that I've seen. There's no excuse to not give a tracking number or at least let you know when the package was mailed and an expected delivery time. A confirmation email would have been nice too. It seems to me that not doing that and having customers have to email to ask about it is less efficient than just providing it in the first place. It makes me not want to order anything else from Dave.

I ripped the DVDs into MP4 files of each lesson myself, so I have those and the DVDs as backup. With the MP4s, I can use them with Transcribe! since it has been able to display video for some time now. I can loop a small section and slow it down without changing pitch or watch the whole thing at any speed, so I can be sure to get every drop from each lesson. Transcribe! is a great tool for learning either piano or guitar music by ear, but it also can do the same thing with videos as well as MP3 or WAV files. I thought about the download version, but when I realized it was just the videos, I decided to just do that myself.

The download version does include all of the other stuff, it just comes separately.

In case you are interested, I definitely recommend the Teacher's Guide. It is thicker than the lesson and song books together, so it has quite a bit of material. This book does not teach the course, since that is what the other books and DVDs do, but instead for each lesson, it gives plenty of guidance for how to help a student master the material in each lesson. For the solo piano lessons, it provides more information to help clarify what you are trying to do and how to go about it, as well as how to make sure the student has sufficiently learned the previous lessons to be able to handle this material.

The intent of the book is for typical traditional piano teachers who want to include something of playing pop music in their lesson plans. The book is a thorough guide for the teacher, explain what to expect from the student in terms of difficulty learning a given lesson and how to deal with that, ideas for extra practice of each lesson and assignments to really get a solid handle on the material, etc. In short, for someone teaching him or herself, this book serves as a very nice guide through the territory.

Tony

That actually sounds pretty cool, I might look into it after I get the other materials and I feel better about it smile

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
Not yet. He said they'd be here by Wednesday and they weren't. I emailed him AGAIN and he said they'd definitely be here by Thursday or Friday that he'd check the tracking number.

I have to say that in this day and age of easy communication with the customer, this is the worst customer service that I've seen. There's no excuse to not give a tracking number or at least let you know when the package was mailed and an expected delivery time. A confirmation email would have been nice too. It seems to me that not doing that and having customers have to email to ask about it is less efficient than just providing it in the first place. It makes me not want to order anything else from Dave.

When I've been told stuff like this and ask for a tracking number and don't get it, it usually means it was never sent.

There have been only few exceptions my latest package being one - I ordered a closed terrarium to be shipped from the UK to our flat in Amsterdam. I did get a tracking number and I can see the package has been in Amsterdam but undelivered by the carrier for the last 13 days. This constitutes the worst delivery service I ever experienced. Fortunately I bought this item through an Amazon.de 3rd party seller and after the seller couldn't resolve, Amazon is refunding my money in full, so this just shows the importance of having an adult (e.g., Amazon) in the supply chain!

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling PianoWVBob. Given my recent experience with this waylaid terrarium, you have my sympathies. Hope you will get what you ordered and be continuing to make music soon.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
tm3 Offline
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by misspiggy
Hi Guys

If you want a book that will get you to play chords in a sensible way, which you can use for piano solos, I recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Way-Keyboard-System-Bk-four-Way/dp/B00B3NU8LY
It changed my piano playing life. You do not have to absorb everything in every lesson, but just use the general concept. There is a book two as well for more advanced chords.

I can't find the books available anywhere. All of the sites I have found say it is out of print...

These books are now available on Amazon.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

The download version does include all of the other stuff, it just comes separately.

That actually sounds pretty cool, I might look into it after I get the other materials and I feel better about it smile

My understanding is that the download version includes the physical books shipped to you, and the only items that are downloaded, are the videos instead of also shipping the DVDs. It was with that understanding that I just ripped my DVDs to MP4s since I already have the DVDs with my version of the course.

I am sorry that you are having this trouble with getting the course. When I purchased it, I called and talked to David's son about the course. It took a couple of weeks to arrive. I later ordered the two additional course books (one, the rhythm book, comes with an additional CD). Those were backordered and took another several weeks to arrive, but they let me know that was the case. At the time, they had another product called a transposing wheel, and he included that at no extra cost.

So there was a time when they were responsive to phone calls, though it always did (and does) seem to take them a while longer than most companies to get stuff shipped. I figure they are a very small shop and probably do all that work themselves instead of farming it out.

I hope things work out for you, but do think your experience may well have to be the "cautionary tale" for others. It may well be that there is some problem on their end, but if so, they should be letting you know what to expect. When I purchase an item online, I am less concerned about how long it takes to arrive, than I am knowing what is happening and what to expect. Simple communication from the vendor is all it takes to set my mind at ease. Apparently, you are not getting that.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
P
OP Offline
P

My understanding is that the download version includes the physical books shipped to you, and the only items that are downloaded, are the videos instead of also shipping the DVDs. It was with that understanding that I just ripped my DVDs to MP4s since I already have the DVDs with my version of the course.

That's exactly right.

I am sorry that you are having this trouble with getting the course. When I purchased it, I called and talked to David's son about the course. It took a couple of weeks to arrive. I later ordered the two additional course books (one, the rhythm book, comes with an additional CD). Those were backordered and took another several weeks to arrive, but they let me know that was the case. At the time, they had another product called a transposing wheel, and he included that at no extra cost.

That would be nice if they included that. I also think that it would be good business to be clear about when things ship, how long they take, what to expect..etc. That's just basic good business.

So there was a time when they were responsive to phone calls, though it always did (and does) seem to take them a while longer than most companies to get stuff shipped. I figure they are a very small shop and probably do all that work themselves instead of farming it out.

I'm sure that's the case but no excuse.

I hope things work out for you, but do think your experience may well have to be the "cautionary tale" for others. It may well be that there is some problem on their end, but if so, they should be letting you know what to expect. When I purchase an item online, I am less concerned about how long it takes to arrive, than I am knowing what is happening and what to expect. Simple communication from the vendor is all it takes to set my mind at ease. Apparently, you are not getting that.

Tony

You are 100% right. It's not the time, it's the idea that I have an expectation that they aren't meeting because they didn't let me know what to expect so I filled in the blanks based on other shipping scenarios that I've been through.

It's not so bad for me, I've got several months under my belt to doing a screen shot of the next chords doesn't bother me that much but my wife is also starting from scratch...no prior experience with any musical instrument so she's less apt to just plow into it than I am.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by tm3
Hi Guys

If you want a book that will get you to play chords in a sensible way, which you can use for piano solos, I recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Way-Keyboard-System-Bk-four-Way/dp/B00B3NU8LY
It changed my piano playing life. You do not have to absorb everything in every lesson, but just use the general concept. There is a book two as well for more advanced chords.

I can't find the books available anywhere. All of the sites I have found say it is out of print...

The books I just saw on Amazon are used, rather than that Higginson is now selling also on Amazon. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, and there may be some advantage to somebody buying those instead of the full course. If Higginson is now selling on Amazon, I didn't find those products.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
tm3 Offline
Originally Posted by tm3
Hi Guys

The books I just saw on Amazon are used, rather than that Higginson is now selling also on Amazon. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, and there may be some advantage to somebody buying those instead of the full course. If Higginson is now selling on Amazon, I didn't find those products.

Tony

I was referring to the David Swain books Four Way Keyboard System I and II that misspiggy mentioned and that NobleHouse could not find.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
OK, sorry about that. I reread your post and see that indeed you are talking about the Alan Swain books. I forgot that we are talking about multiple products in this thread.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 08/29/19 09:11 AM.

Roland V-Grand
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tm3
I was referring to the David Swain books Four Way Keyboard System I and II that misspiggy mentioned and that NobleHouse could not find.

Yes, I bought first 2 Alan Swain books for my wife last week from his Amazon page. It looks like he just orders new small print batches when it gets out of stock. If the books are listed as unavailable, then come back later until you see them in stock.
I am still waiting to buy the 3rd book though (and this should be the most interesting volume for my wife I guess).

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by VladK
Originally Posted by tm3

Yes, I bought first 2 Alan Swain books for my wife last week from his Amazon page. It looks like he just orders new small print batches when it gets out of stock. If the books are listed as unavailable, then come back later until you see them in stock.
I am still waiting to buy the 3rd book though (and this should be the most interesting volume for my wife I guess).

To satisfy my curiosity what makes these books good? What is the method he's using to teach his system?

is it just a bunch of chord charts? I guess I'm asking why I'd want to buy these over anything else?

Just curious about it.

tm3 Offline
Originally Posted by VladK
Originally Posted by tm3

Yes, I bought first 2 Alan Swain books for my wife last week from his Amazon page. .

To satisfy my curiosity what makes these books good? What is the method he's using to teach his system?

is it just a bunch of chord charts? I guess I'm asking why I'd want to buy these over anything else?

Just curious about it.

I'm also curious and hope that some feedback gets posted. Misspiggy's enthusiastic endorsement is helpful, but beyond that there is a sparse description on Amazon, very few reviews, and no preview pages.

The author was apparently a very highly regarded teacher, however.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tm3
I'm also curious and hope that some feedback gets posted. Misspiggy's enthusiastic endorsement is helpful, but beyond that there is a sparse description on Amazon, very few reviews, and no preview pages.

The author was apparently a very highly regarded teacher, however.

I'm something of a piano book collector. I already ordered a complete set of 3 books. I'll do a mini-review when I get it.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
OP Offline
P
Good news...the materials came!

So all in all, it took 16 days to get the materials.

Now...on to piano practice!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Congrats! And it is indeed Thursday!

[Linked Image]

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Glad to hear it, Bob! I hope you both enjoy, and get a lot out of the course.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
When I mistakenly thought that tm3 was referring to David Higginson books on amazon.com, I took a look and saw a few used books for that course. One book I found there was:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPHW8QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case that product description goes away for some reason, it is the apparently now out-of-print "Fake Book of the World's Favorite Songs: Professional Chord System Paperback – 1990". It apparently contains 300 tunes of various kinds. I have the usual assortment of fakebooks that any of us who have gigged professionally would have, but I figure that this may be tied into the course, which could provide further guided practice in the method. It is scheduled to arrive between Sept. 5th and the 10th.

Here is the description:

More than 300 Songs for any occasion-- all in one incredible collection! Includes: Children's Songs, Christmas Carols, Classics, Country/Bluegrass, Folk Songs, From the Musical Stage, Inspirational, International Favorites, Marches, Patriotic, Sentimental, Singalongs, Special Occasion, Standards, and Waltzes. Hal-Leonard 1990, ISBN # 0793546443

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Hal Leonard Publishing Corp (1990)
Language: English

If it wasn't for that little misunderstanding on my part, I would never have known that book existed. smile

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 08/29/19 05:10 PM.

Roland V-Grand
P
OP Offline
P
When I mistakenly thought that tm3 was referring to David Higginson books on amazon.com, I took a look and saw a few used books for that course. One book I found there was:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPHW8QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case that product description goes away for some reason, it is the apparently now out-of-print "Fake Book of the World's Favorite Songs: Professional Chord System Paperback – 1990". It apparently contains 300 tunes of various kinds. I have the usual assortment of fakebooks that any of us who have gigged professionally would have, but I figure that this may be tied into the course, which could provide further guided practice in the method. It is scheduled to arrive between Sept. 5th and the 10th.

Here is the description:

More than 300 Songs for any occasion-- all in one incredible collection! Includes: Children's Songs, Christmas Carols, Classics, Country/Bluegrass, Folk Songs, From the Musical Stage, Inspirational, International Favorites, Marches, Patriotic, Sentimental, Singalongs, Special Occasion, Standards, and Waltzes. Hal-Leonard 1990, ISBN # 0793546443

If it wasn't for that little misunderstanding on my part, I would never have known that book existed. smile

Tony

Thanks for the tip..just for the heck of it, I bought a copy too though I have a several fake books now.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

Here is the description:

Tony

Thanks for the tip..just for the heck of it, I bought a copy too though I have a several fake books now.

In one part of the lesson book, there is discussion about choosing songs to play, once you start getting a handle on the techniques being taught. I would assume that, since this fakebook was created by the David Higginson folks, though it seems Hal Leonard published it, that the tunes in it would be compatible with the course. That would be a great way to start moving away from the lessons and into creating your own arrangements.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I have the Higginson course materials, but had gotten away from it. This thread has motivated me to give the course another try.

But it would be quite helpful to have the DVD videos on my iPad. Can anyone explain how to transfer them to iPad (if it's at all possible)?

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner: Boston GB156 or Yamaha GC1?
by Emeraldwynn - 05/22/22 11:20 AM
KAWAI ES920 need Technical Help !
by Chummy - 05/22/22 05:34 AM
Lack of motivation
by Josephine83 - 05/22/22 05:03 AM
Cliburn Amateur concerto list
by computerpro3 - 05/22/22 12:00 AM
Sound Generators - Quality? Capacity? Options?
by bob@pei - 05/21/22 11:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,178
Posts3,193,585
Members105,341
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission