2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (anotherscott, CyberGene, 24000rpm, 1957, Chris888, ando, Animisha, 10 invisible), 502 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
I’m fairly positive terminaldegree is correct, as usual. Looking at the center decal on the soundboard, it is an older design than what I have on my 2012 C3. It looks in pristine shape but that decal was used on 70’s and 80’s vintage not 2011.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Heres the 2010 decal on my Yamaha
[Linked Image]

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks, guys. What an awesome and helpful forum!

I
OP Offline
I
You guys were absolutely right. What is adverized as 2011 G1 turned out to be G1J, made in Japan in 1979, I verified with the,main yamaha corporation

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by inna_denver
You guys were absolutely right. What is adverized as 2011 G1 turned out to be G1J, made in Japan in 1979, I verified with the,main yamaha corporation

Now just imagine the poor soul who will end up buying a 40 year old piano thinking it is almost new?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Woods needs to change that on their website, I believe it runs afoul of FTC truth in advertising law as this is both likely to mislead a reasonable consumer and is material to the purchasing decision. If you present this info to Woods and they continue to advertise it as a piano from 2011, though IANAL it seems like they'd be exposing themselves to some legal risk.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I doubt it was intentional - one could see how easy a mistake it is to make...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Does anyone in PianoWorld familiar with the Woods Piano Company would call and describe the serial number mix up and that in fact that piano was made at the Hamamatsu Factory in Japan in 1979? I’m an optimist even at this age and would think they will fix the ad and maybe even the price. I remain hopeful 😁.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Does anyone in PianoWorld familiar with the Woods Piano Company would call and describe the serial number mix up and that in fact that piano was made at the Hamamatsu Factory in Japan in 1979? I’m an optimist even at this age and would think they will fix the ad and maybe even the price. I remain hopeful 😁.

Inna had a visit scheduled with the dealer. It should be resolved by now?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
I
OP Offline
I
I texted Wood this morning with this information. He said he is very confused and will call Yamaha. As of this evening, his site still advertises it as 2011 G1 made in Japan...

j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Just a wild guess here but if someone texted me that a piano I had listed as a 2011 G1 was in fact much older and was a 1979 G1, I would indeed wait to get official word from Yamaha Corporation. I would probably be a bit slow to change the ad.
He may have taken it as a trade in and given too much trade in credit. It stinks to be right with bad news.
I love Yamaha pianos but the model number serial number secret sauce is miserably confusing. For heavens sake, why can’t they just stamp the year and factory with location made on the plate and save everyone the hassle of looking it up on some index which is different than two other indexes. Such silliness!

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Lesson learned for me. Double check everything. Don't trust even what appears to be "official". Double, triple check, and then verify. Even dealers can get it wrong.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 08/14/19 10:05 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Now the real question: is the piano in good shape, and will they give the OP a big discount?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Joined by the other question, does the OP want a 40 year old piano in the first place? It looks pristine but when it comes down to buying it, I don’t know if I would want a 40 year old consumer grade 5’3” baby grand.
But that’s just me.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've mentioned this on PW before, but when I was shopping for a 7 foot grand piano years ago, before I found my Yamaha C7, I looked at a very nice sounding, playing, pre-owned (euphemism for used:-) 7 foot Young Chang grand piano at one of Atlanta's largest, and longest established piano stores. When I played it, I liked it, but was still a bit undecided about buying it or keep looking. Anyway, I specifically asked the salesperson about the age of the Young Chang. He told me how old it was, and the year model (don't remember the exact details) and I asked him to give me a price on the 7 foot YC. He said he would work up a deal and email it to me.

In the meantime, I did write down the serial number of the YC and when I got home began to search the Internet to verify the age the salesperson told me. Turned out, the YC was several years older than he said. This could have been an honest mistake on his part, I'm not sure. But he was the salesperson and should have known. He did email me a price, and I sent a counter offer due to the age discrepancy. I never heard back from him. That was probably a blessing in disguise, because a few weeks later I found the Yamaha C7, which I liked much better than the YC.

I know condition is more important than age, when it comes to used pianos, but age (the correct age) is certainly an important factor.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
I
OP Offline
I
We will see what happens, but its still listed as 2011 G1, made in Japan. Yesterday it took me only 20 mins to find out the truth from Yamaha Corp.
I am sure it will get changed eventually because this is a huge mislead for potential customers,,and I am sure there are quite a few.

Last edited by inna_denver; 08/14/19 02:35 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Rick,

I remember some of your story. It wasn't a few years older than described, it was 4x older than described. We had 4 different customers relay that issue on different pianos from that same dealer. It's a pattern, and its really too bad that there seem to not be consequences for deception like than.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
It wasn't a few years older than described, it was 4x older than described. We had 4 different customers relay that issue on different pianos from that same dealer. It's a pattern

eek Wow! How horrible! Talk about "buyer beware." It is really too bad that there are dealers like that around, I'm sure it makes it difficult for the honest dealers. During my piano shopping this summer I have met many good dealers, and one bad one. So, I can live with that ratio, but still it's disappointing.

and its really too bad that there seem to not be consequences for deception like than.

If there's anything good here, it's the fact that people have more resources available to them than ever before, and as this thread shows, it's possible to catch when information is presented incorrectly. Whether it was an honest mistake, or willful deception is probably harder to tease out. Except in the case of the dealer above, who clearly made a habit of it!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Hi Rick,

I remember some of your story. It wasn't a few years older than described, it was 4x older than described. We had 4 different customers relay that issue on different pianos from that same dealer. It's a pattern, and its really too bad that there seem to not be consequences for deception like than.

Boy, there goes my optimism that most people and most businesses are basically honest and don’t actually try to pull a fast one. Kinda depressing really 🥺.

J & J
Casio Privia PX-330
[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I can't believe that after all this time, they're still advertising the piano the same way. They're a DEALER. They're supposed to be professionals at this, so it's highly unlikely that they just made an innocent mistake. And that is supported by the fact that they haven't corrected such an egregious error on their website, weeks after being called out on it.

I'm going to try to find a yelp or google review page to point this out, because buyers should NOT be misled in this way frown

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,716
Members101,227
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission