Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
98 registered members (amad23, AndrewJCW, AaronSF, ando, butchkoch, 27 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 #2883921
08/27/19 05:35 AM
08/27/19 05:35 AM
B
Beth19 Offline OP
Beth19  Offline OP
B

Hi, I'm looking to buy a digital piano. I'm currently thinking either the Casio PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30. Occasionally I may want to connect it to my Mac to record pieces. Would anyone recommend these pianos or is there another one in this price range that you would buy instead?

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Beth19] #2883922
08/27/19 05:38 AM
08/27/19 05:38 AM
Danmark
M
Morten Olsson Offline
Morten Olsson  Offline
M

Danmark
If you want / need to route the audio through the piano look at the various Yamaha products that come with built in audio interface - quite a few have this including some of the cheaper ones such as P125, P121, YDP 144.

Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Morten Olsson] #2884133
08/27/19 03:27 PM
08/27/19 03:27 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Beth19
Hi, I'm looking to buy a digital piano. I'm currently thinking either the Casio PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30. Occasionally I may want to connect it to my Mac to record pieces. Would anyone recommend these pianos or is there another one in this price range that you would buy instead?

Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
If you want / need to route the audio through the piano look at the various Yamaha products that come with built in audio interface - quite a few have this including some of the cheaper ones such as P125, P121, YDP 144.

PMFJI --

a) Consider using the PX-S3000 _built-in_ audio recorder (see the manual, p. 49ff) to record your playing. The resulting _digital audio_ ".WAV" file can be moved to a Mac (or any other computer) for post-processing. There is no loss of quality, in that process.

b) The FP-30 does _not_ have such an audio recorder (or I am mis-informed, always possible). It does have a _MIDI_ recorder. To use that, watch this video:

https://youtu.be/tlFTZrPut0s

The video isn't clear about the process. The player first records the MIDI data, and then uses the MIDI player (in the FP-30) to re-generate the performance as _analog audio_. And the cables carry that analog audio to your computer. So quality loss is possible.

c) The Yamaha models, with built-in USB soundcard, will send _digital audio_ to audio-recording software running on the Mac. No loss of quality.

I wish this were simpler to explain, and understand.

I wouldn't let that difference control which DP you buy.

The Casio PX-S3000 is much richer in "features" -- auto-chording, auto-accompaniment, hundreds of voices, etc -- than the FP-30. Whether it's _better_ depends on your needs, wants, and taste.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Beth19] #2884139
08/27/19 03:46 PM
08/27/19 03:46 PM
Great State of Texas
V
vara411 Offline
vara411  Offline
V

Great State of Texas
Do you need all the voices on the Casio? Or do you plan on playing piano over 95% of the time?

I personally could never get into the actual piano sounds of the Casios... they just sound so tinny and decay far too quickly for my tastes. I much prefer the sound and feel of the FP30. Again... that's just my personal taste. Nothing anyone says here is more important than how these pianos make YOU feel when you play them. Keep us posted!

Last edited by vara411; 08/27/19 03:48 PM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: vara411] #2884902
08/29/19 02:52 PM
08/29/19 02:52 PM
B
Beth19 Offline OP
Beth19  Offline OP
B

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

a) Consider using the PX-S3000 _built-in_ audio recorder (see the manual, p. 49ff) to record your playing. The resulting _digital audio_ ".WAV" file can be moved to a Mac (or any other computer) for post-processing. There is no loss of quality, in that process.

b) The FP-30 does _not_ have such an audio recorder (or I am mis-informed, always possible). It does have a _MIDI_ recorder. To use that, watch this video:

The video isn't clear about the process. The player first records the MIDI data, and then uses the MIDI player (in the FP-30) to re-generate the performance as _analog audio_. And the cables carry that analog audio to your computer. So quality loss is possible.

c) The Yamaha models, with built-in USB soundcard, will send _digital audio_ to audio-recording software running on the Mac. No loss of quality.

The Casio PX-S3000 is much richer in "features" -- auto-chording, auto-accompaniment, hundreds of voices, etc -- than the FP-30. Whether it's _better_ depends on your needs, wants, and taste.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I don't know much about connecting digital pianos, so hope this makes sense. Ideally if I was to connect the piano to my Mac I would like to use it as a 'controller' rather than recording it on the piano and transferring it over. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're able to do this with the Casio if you buy a wire. It's the Roland that's confusing me, it looks like you're able to connect it through bluetooth and not able to plug it in? Do you know whether there would be much of a delay recording in Garageband from the Roland over Bluetooth?

Originally Posted by vara411
Do you need all the voices on the Casio? Or do you plan on playing piano over 95% of the time?

I personally could never get into the actual piano sounds of the Casios... they just sound so tinny and decay far too quickly for my tastes. I much prefer the sound and feel of the FP30. Again... that's just my personal taste. Nothing anyone says here is more important than how these pianos make YOU feel when you play them. Keep us posted!

I have tried the PX-S3000 and it's OK, I'm not the biggest fan of the sounds and feel but then again I haven't tried a digital piano for years and I'm so used to playing an acoustic piano. I would defiantly be able to stick with it if it's got better connectivity than the Roland, it's not unenjoyable to play. I don't need all of the voices on the Casio, obviously they're nice to try on some pieces but around 90% of the time I will just be using the piano sounds. I really want to try the Roland but haven't had the time to travel to a piano shop, was just wondering whether others had any suggestions first.

Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Beth19] #2884909
08/29/19 03:14 PM
08/29/19 03:14 PM
Canada
S
Syd B Offline
Syd B  Offline
S

Canada
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I don't know much about connecting digital pianos, so hope this makes sense. Ideally if I was to connect the piano to my Mac I would like to use it as a 'controller' rather than recording it on the piano and transferring it over. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're able to do this with the Casio if you buy a wire. It's the Roland that's confusing me, it looks like you're able to connect it through bluetooth and not able to plug it in? Do you know whether there would be much of a delay recording in Garageband from the Roland over Bluetooth?

Originally Posted by vara411

I have tried the PX-S3000 and it's OK, I'm not the biggest fan of the sounds and feel but then again I haven't tried a digital piano for years and I'm so used to playing an acoustic piano. I would defiantly be able to stick with it if it's got better connectivity than the Roland, it's not unenjoyable to play. I don't need all of the voices on the Casio, obviously they're nice to try on some pieces but around 90% of the time I will just be using the piano sounds. I really want to try the Roland but haven't had the time to travel to a piano shop, was just wondering whether others had any suggestions first.

The Rolands all will let you connect to your Mac with a cheap USB cable (included, typically) and control your DAW and/or standalone piano plugins that way. Same for pretty much any DP today, including the Casios (some DPs may still offer a MIDI connection only). The Roland advantage is that they can send and receive MIDI over Bluetooth too and with latency so negligible I don't believe anyone would notice it.

Casio Privia PX-850
Go-to piano VSTs: Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 6, VI Labs Ravenscroft

https://soundcloud.com/baumel
Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Beth19] #2884915
08/29/19 03:29 PM
08/29/19 03:29 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Welcome to PW, Beth. Which Mac is it (that is, is it a MacBook)? And what year? Apple had different connectors for different years.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Beth19] #2884931
08/29/19 04:09 PM
08/29/19 04:09 PM
Maconi Offline
Maconi  Offline

Most Digital Pianos will let you connect to a PC using USB and will send MIDI over the USB. Both the Casio and Roland should work fine for that.

Key action/feel wise I preferred the Roland as the Casio felt pretty stiff toward the top of the keys. Growing up playing upright pianos the Roland felt more like what I remembered a real piano feeling like (although neither will feel exactly like a real piano).

Piano sound is subjective, I can see why people like both for various reasons.

I don't have any input on how the built-in speakers sound on either (I played them with the volume extremely low, not a fair test for either).

Re: Casio Privia PX-S3000 or Roland FP-30 [Re: Beth19] #2884940
08/29/19 04:48 PM
08/29/19 04:48 PM
O
OscarRamsey Offline
OscarRamsey  Offline
O

Hiya,

One thing to note - there is on line-out on the FP-30, only a headphone jack (just in case you're considering that for recording). I'm not aware of how the Casio fairs as far as a line-out is concerned.

I know the FP-30 will record MIDI to a internal memory which you can copy to a USB memory stick and you can record MIDI directly to the piano partner 2 app. The app plays everything back very well (through the piano). The problem is getting that converted to a sound file - which could be done via the headphone jack however it's probably not as good as a file recorded as WAV directly by the piano (which some models do - again, I've no idea RE the Casio).

If you do intend to use USB-Midi cable as mentioned above, and you're happy to use VST software on your Mac (ie use different piano sounds via software on your Mac) then your only consideration need be the key action that you like best.

Speaker-wise, I found the ones on the FP-30 to be surprisingly good! They do fire downwards out of the bottom - so if you intend to place the piano on a desk/table, you'll block their output somewhat.

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 08/29/19 04:51 PM. Reason: Clarity

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heintzman & Co. project opinion
by D.P.. 10/15/19 05:56 PM
Playing by ear
by KuroMisaka. 10/15/19 02:47 PM
Why I’m convinced a good teacher is ESSENTIAL
by WeakLeftHand. 10/15/19 02:40 PM
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,537
Posts2,879,462
Members94,679
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission