2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Beowulf, astrotoy, David B, AB99, 36251, Carey, Coker, bxrdad1, 12 invisible), 389 guests, and 478 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 424 of 429 1 2 422 423 424 425 426 428 429
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Tech-key] #2877625 08/08/19 09:53 AM
M
mimi9 Offline
M
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883005 08/24/19 10:45 AM
Tech-key Offline
Hi guys! Hope you all are having a good time. Progman, hope your injury is a bit better now.

Finished Laura some days back. Have been working on Chattanooga since then. I can now play it at around 90 BPM. However, at a higher speed, a few measures in the middle section fall apart. Especially the one in the second page, with the repeated notes with the 5th finger on the black key. And another one in the 3rd page. I finally gave up and decided to use the 4th finger instead, and its working slightly better for me as of now.

Actually, I’m not sure what the final tempo should be. The book says “Moderate swing rhythm”. But some teacher recordings on YouTube seem to be around 120-130 BPM. Sounds better to me at that tempo, but I think I’ll just go for maybe 100-110. Seems much more like a "moderate" tempo, and much less work, haha. Does any of you have the Alfred CD (or Piano Marvel) with recordings of all the pieces? Unfortunately, mine ends just before the popular selections. Would be a great help to know what the editors thought to be appropriate for students.

Last edited by Tech-key; 08/24/19 10:47 AM.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Tech-key] #2883027 08/24/19 12:31 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Originally Posted by Tech-key
Hi guys! Hope you all are having a good time. Progman, hope your injury is a bit better now.

Thanks Tech-key! It's been 4 weeks off, but I'm on the mend. I think it will be 1 more month off - don't want to mess with this monster again.

I was working on Chattanooga when I stopped (I actually played part of it 2 days ago just to measure how much I'm healing). I picked it because you can swing it - but I didn't find a good alfred's recordings of it but found this one

I like this swing and the hotel it was recorded in is also a fabulous place!

Progman
Baldwin Console + Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883039 08/24/19 01:18 PM
Tech-key Offline
Progman, good to hear that it’s healing. smile I thoroughly enjoyed watching the video you linked. Thanks!

And yes, the swing in this song is so much fun to play. I spent the entire week learning and playing this. To the point that I completely ignored my teacher’s assignment. And as luck would have it, the other students in my time slot bunked class today. cry My teacher then made me sit and practise the assignment piece under constant supervision, and didn’t assign any other stuff for the coming week. Never again will I ignore his work again, haha! I’m thinking I’ll try to speed it up till Monday maybe. And wherever I reach, I’ll call it done at that point.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Tech-key] #2883078 08/24/19 03:36 PM
GidgetKeys Offline

Actually, I’m not sure what the final tempo should be. The book says “Moderate swing rhythm”. But some teacher recordings on YouTube seem to be around 120-130 BPM. Sounds better to me at that tempo, but I think I’ll just go for maybe 100-110. Seems much more like a "moderate" tempo, and much less work, haha. Does any of you have the Alfred CD (or Piano Marvel) with recordings of all the pieces? Unfortunately, mine ends just before the popular selections. Would be a great help to know what the editors thought to be appropriate for students.

I have Piano Marvel and it looks like the full tempo version is set at 116 bpm.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2883079 08/24/19 03:46 PM
Tech-key Offline

Originally Posted by GidgetKeys

I have Piano Marvel and it looks like the full tempo version is set at 116 bpm.

Thank you so much, GidgetKeys! I’ll try to target that.

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883161 08/24/19 11:58 PM
A
amyram Offline
A
Hello, new guy here. I'm also using Alfreds Adult All-in-One book, currently page 35 -Merrily We Roll Along.
I started off using this book and thought I was doing ok moving along, Then I started using Piano Marvel an online teaching course which also has it's own method books actually. So this online course has a sight reading modual, a technique modual, a method modual and a library modual with songs of different levels.
In the library modual they include the Alfred Adult books one and two, and going through those online and trying to achieve 100% on each piece I realized I was probably moving through the book much to quickly. Once I made myself get 100% on each piece before moving on, it takes much longer. I guess when I was just doing the book I would play until it sounded ok to my ear, but apparently my ear isn't much good. In any case it has made me slow down and try to understand each lesson in a new way, so I guess that's a good thing.
Since I live in northern Canada with the nearest piano teacher 3 1/2 hours south I am using quite a few online courses, besides the above mentioned I have Playground Sessions, Pianote and a 60 day course from Pianotv. Now of course the problem becomes an embarrassment of riches. I still only have time to practice a hour a day mostly so which to use? I think Alfred's is tried and true for years so that is my main focus but I also like trending my sight reading progress in Piano Marvel, so those will be my main ones for now and use the others for supplemental work. I've been lurking in this thread and finding good info, thanks to all who contribute.
Aaron

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883163 08/25/19 12:39 AM
Tech-key Offline
Welcome, Aaron! I think it’s great that you are using Piano Marvel to keep yourself accountable. Wish you all the luck, and please keep us posted thumb

Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883224 08/25/19 07:56 AM
GidgetKeys Offline
Welcome Aaron,

There is a thread here on PianoWorld about Piano Marvel that you might like to check out and if you are a Facebook user, there is an unofficial Piano Marvel users group over there called Piano for Beginners which can be good motivation and encourages posting videos of your progress.

Also there several YouTube channels that are useful for hearing various method book exercises. I like Let's Play Piano Methods because he takes time to go over the piece and point out certain aspects before diving in.

I think you will find there are a lot of us who are learning on our own so you're in good company. 😁

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883363 08/25/19 02:33 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Welcome Aaron! Sounds like a smart approach on your part - wish you well on your journey. Lot's of great info for us beginners on this forum, and feel free to ask questions to your virtual friends smile

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883366 08/25/19 02:39 PM
J
JanetL Offline
J
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for the last few weeks and have already gained lots of useful information from the forum. From an early age I have always wanted to play the piano and started learning with a teacher for a short time as a child. Unfortunately I had to stop lessons but twenty years later I got myself a 61 key keyboard and started to teach myself simple songs just for relaxation. Once again life got in the way and I stopped playing. Now I am 58 and decided that if I don't start now then I will probably never realise my dream so eight weeks ago I purchased myself a Yamaha P-125 and this time I am determined to progress further than I have in the past. I am self-teaching using the Alfred Adult AIO Course although I also have the Faber Adult Piano Adventures. This time round I would like to concentrate more on classical music although it would also be fun to play more popular music too. As supplementary material and to add a bit of a classical flavour I am also very slowly working through Bartok's Mikrokosmos, Gurlitt's First Lessons Op. 117, An Introduction to Classics to Moderns and a free Udemy course called 10 Classical Piano Pieces for Beginners. However, my main focus is on the Alfred's AIO as I am hoping I will learn some theory too. Thank you for reading this far. I am very much looking forward to learning alongside you all.

Jan

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883373 08/25/19 03:06 PM
A
amyram Offline
A
Hey Janet welcome and thanks for the Udemy idea...wow there are hundreds of piano courses in there. I was thinking that the one you are doing sounds good. Now if I can just find it...

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883386 08/25/19 03:40 PM
J
JanetL Offline
J
Hi Aaron, I hope this link works:

https://www.udemy.com/course/pi-101-piano/

This is the one I have started. I am still learning the first piece, Allegro by Alexander Reinagle. I have had great fun with it though. I'm not sure if I am up to learning one piece a week but perhaps one a month (or two or three) with be more appropriate for me. smile

Last edited by JanetL; 08/25/19 03:45 PM.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883389 08/25/19 03:46 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW, Aaron and Janet. Hope to see both of you posting in the other threads on ABF too. This forum has really helped my piano journey. I started piano in February 2018 and discovered PW about 7 weeks later. I'm not sure I'd be still learning piano today if it weren't for the community on this forum being a member of the community. Good luck on your piano journeys!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883446 08/25/19 06:06 PM
A
amyram Offline
A
Thanks for the link Janet, I never did find it on my own. I kept getting links to Classic Yoga Poses, Classical Guitar etc. Even though the lesson title that you linked was in the search field?
Like you I am 58 year old beginner and have a new piano coming tomorrow, a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-675. I am hoping to teach this new piano how to play classical music as well.
I will also need to teach myself about Classical music in general since I am not very familiar with it, mostly a Blues and Classic Rock kinda guy but I am enjoying the classical idea on piano.
Since you are also interested in Classical I recommend checking out Pianotv on Youtube, the teacher is very good at simplifying Classical music along with some history type stuff on the composers she also does lists of books etc if you are interested in doing the RCM or ABRSM tests in the future. Good luck.

Aaron

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2883478 08/25/19 09:04 PM
J
JanetL Offline
J
Thank you for the warm welcome, Tyrone.

Aaron, I tried the search myself when I was looking for the link and it is very weird. Perhaps they are not promoting it due to it being a free course. I am not sure how good the course is but I have very much enjoyed learning the first piece.

How exciting, a Clavinova! I hope you have lots of fun with it and it learns very quickly. smile

My musical tastes are very eclectic. Youtube is a great place to discover music of all genres. Just do a search for classical piano pieces. If you wish to experience a wider variety of classical then 20 Classical Works for Absolute Beginners is not a bad start. It goes with this Reddit thread.

I have watched many of Pianotv's videos. They are excellent. These have probably been mentioned many times but for the Alfred AIO Course I enjoy Let's Play Piano Methods at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8hZtgRyL9WRWJLlIUPl-ydiDc8CZ_SJK as he explains each of the pieces and Piano Susan at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyMe7V-qVtcDhgfKLlyGbV-Xb1ZsHQ242 if I want to hear the piece at approximately the correct tempo.

At the beginning I was so full of enthusiasm and excitement (well, I still am but I have tamed it somewhat smile ) I probably overloaded my brain with so many new things all at once and started to feel quite exhausted. I had to take it easy for a week. I think I read here that the brain processes things while it is sleeping and from my experience it is probably best to let it think about just one or two new things during the week while I slumber or else it starts to protest. This could be just me though. smile

Last edited by JanetL; 08/25/19 09:09 PM.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2884052 08/27/19 11:24 AM
B
Blague Offline
B
Janet, I read the same thing about the brain needing some time to process new things and I believe it and have fully incorporated my practice routine around that idea. Granted, I'm only about six months into learning this, but I'm seeing results. There have been a few pieces that were an absolute mess on day one or two, but slow, accurate repetitive practice starts bringing it together by day six or seven. I usually go 20 repetitions or so before moving on to the next bit, then reinforcing the next day.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2884392 08/28/19 08:49 AM
J
JanetL Offline
J
Blague, I am pleased you have good experience with this theory. I am still trying to hone my practising skills and it is good to hear how others approach it. Thank you.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2884601 08/28/19 06:54 PM
A
amyram Offline
A
Thanks for the links Janet, I checked them out and think they are helpful. I also stumbled on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIYzp5rcTvU&t=5443s Music For Reading. Also good stuff and really is good for reading. In the past I would Ask Alexsa to play instrumental jazz while I was reading. This will be a nice addition.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2885228 08/30/19 01:53 PM
P
Progman Offline
P
Welcome Jan! Best wishes for you on your piano journey - there are a lot of great people in ABF so feel free to ask questions. I like using the Google search in the upper left to look for stuff - there is a rich amount of info from previous questions. I started at 59 - there are lot's of us this age in here!

The subject of practice skills has been discussed a lot. I found that Holly's practice Diary was a really great resource (probably start at the end and work backward - there's 10 pages...) and Keselo's Nothing is too easy is another great one.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2806229/hollys-practice-diary.html

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ing-is-too-easy-a-beginners-journey.html

Yeah, it's lot's of reading smile

We all have to figure out what works for us and we are all different. What works for me is something like:

--- count out loud everything for 2 years.....when you get near the end of a piece (up to speed) maybe you can ease up a little bit on counting, but it is a vital skill.

--- start out HS until you have it at speed and then go HT

--- go slow enough to not make any mistakes but still be in time (while counting slowly). Have patience here, this is how you learn fast.....by going slow at first. It's hard to fix mistakes.

--- DO NOT play a piece straight through at the beginning of HT. Practice only phrases or sections. Put it together as appropriate.

I tried out different stuff and this is where I am now - but it will evolve. I always make sure for instance that one of the first sections in a piece I practice is the ending.....Oh, and a great trick to decide if you have done a piece good enough that you can drop it and move on is to record yourself and listen to it while you are not playing. Just using your phone memo recorder is OK. Good Luck!

Progman
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Page 424 of 429 1 2 422 423 424 425 426 428 429

Moderated by  BB Player 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Roland FP10 vs Yamaha125 or alternative?
by Ilin - 02/24/20 03:06 PM
Snippets of Pieces I've Been Composing
by PianoYos - 02/24/20 02:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,170
Posts2,929,581
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission