Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
104 registered members (Animisha, b3maniac, ChatNoir, 5boys, 36251, bxrdad1, 23 invisible), 8,626 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Radu Lupu retires #2882937
08/24/19 05:16 AM
08/24/19 05:16 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline OP

New York City
I heard him play only once that I can remember. A Carnegie Hall recital a long time ago where his last piece was the Schubert Sonata Op. 42. Anyone hear him live in concert?

From International Piano Magazine

Josephine Miles

Radu Lupu retires
11:38, 21st August 2019

Radu Lupu will formally retire from the concert stage at the end of the 2018-19 season

The 73-year-old Romanian pianist has suffered frail health for the past couple of years, resulting in frequent concert cancellations.

Lupu gave his final London appearance in February 2019, performing Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No 4 with the Philharmonia Orchestra under conductor Paavo Järvi – an event reviewed by Jessica Duchen.

‘The unique quality of his playing lies in the touch itself,’ wrote Duchen. ‘It’s the transparency of tone, the cushioned finesse of it, and the way he turns a phrase that, in a matter of a few notes, suggests a deep, empathetic humanity and a profound love for the music.’

Lupu shunned the limelight and rarely spoke to the press, but an interview from 1992 reveals his attitude to performance: ‘It is richness of experience and fantasy, and the ability to transport. The artist should have his own voice. Everyone tells a story differently, and that story should be told compellingly and spontaneously. If it is not compelling and convincing, it is without value…’

A student of Florica Musicescu and Heinrich Neuhaus, Lupu won first prize at no fewer than three international competitions: Van Cliburn (1966), George Enescu (1967) and Leeds (1969).

Keith Clarke, former editor of Classical Music magazine, wrote: ‘It was sad to learn that Radu Lupu will be closing the piano lid for good at the end of this season. At his solo debut at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in 1969, he played so quietly at times that people at the back of the hall almost needed to lean forward and cup their ears. It was magical – a singular approach to the music and such extraordinary lyricism.

‘Working for Decca gave me a rare chance to interview him in 1971. We had to meet in the afternoon, he said, as he didn’t like getting up in the mornings, which gave me my first question: He had an 11am Edinburgh Festival recital booked for the following week – how was he going to play that? “Very badly,” he yawned.

‘A quarter of a century has slipped by with no recordings, and ill-health has seen concert cancellations, so it should be no surprise that he has decided enough is enough. But he should not slip away without a salute to an artist who seemed to see so deeply into the music and was able to give us all a glimpse of what he saw.’

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Radu Lupu retires [Re: pianoloverus] #2882938
08/24/19 05:26 AM
08/24/19 05:26 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Radu Lupu retires [Re: pianoloverus] #2883412
08/25/19 05:44 PM
08/25/19 05:44 PM
Santa Fe, NM
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member
AaronSF  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Santa Fe, NM
Yes, I heard him live in recital at Carnegie Hall sometime in the 70s. I don't recall what he played, sadly, but I want to say Brahms and Schubert. I remember I was in the first row, center-left...got the ticket at the last minute. I remember this because I could see the sweat on his brow and hear him huffing and puffing at times. He played wonderfully and has always been one of my favorites. His recording of Brahms's late piano works are some of the best, IMHO.

August Förster 215
Re: Radu Lupu retires [Re: pianoloverus] #2885125
08/30/19 10:42 AM
08/30/19 10:42 AM
H
Humoreske Offline
Humoreske  Offline
H

I had a feeling that it would very likely be his last concert so I attended to that London concert in February. I started going to Lupu concerts only recently, after discovering a few amazing live recordings from the '90s and early 2000s' on YT (the 2006 recital in Genova is one). In the last decade Lupu's playing has become less remarkable overall, with memory lapses and frequent technical flubs, but his legendary tone and phrasing were still very enjoyable in the more technically approachable repertoire.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Current Estonia concert Grand model 274
by Keith D Kerman. 09/18/19 01:07 PM
Kawai CA-51 - Cost today
by 5boys. 09/18/19 12:56 PM
Would love some feedback on my Jazz attempt
by hyena. 09/18/19 12:36 PM
1960's Steck upright piano
by Keezer. 09/18/19 11:41 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,090
Posts2,870,716
Members94,442
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission