Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (2Pianos, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, Blague, Álvaro, astrotoy, 36251, 19 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 #2882933
08/24/19 03:44 AM
08/24/19 03:44 AM
N
neret Offline OP
neret  Offline OP
N

Hello,

I’m about to buy the Kawai ES110 and while it has been out for almost two years, it still seems to be the best bet if you want a high quality piano with near acoustic sound. But then I heard about the two models that Casio released this year, PX-S1000 and PX-S3000. First I thought ’It’s Casio’, maybe not the best of sound in these models, but they seem to have received great reviews.

The PX-S3000 is almost 300 dollars more expensive where I live and it’s out of my budget, so I would be comparing the Kawai with PX-S1000 in this case.
I’ve listened to these pianos in countless of videos and I still feel the Kawai come out on top in terms of sound. It just sounds richer. As to their functions, Casio has Bluetooth Audio and Kawai Bluetooth Midi. Which of these do you find more important? The Audio-feature is great for streaming music to the Casio speakers but not the most important feature for me. Does Casio have the ability to receive sounds back from Garageband, FL Studio etc, where the soundeffects of the FL Studio would come out of the Casio speakers?

The only thing making me hesitate on the Kawai is that it is only limited to 19 sounds. What do I do if I want to add more effects?

Any other pros and cons about these two?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by neret; 08/24/19 03:47 AM.
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 [Re: neret] #2882943
08/24/19 07:22 AM
08/24/19 07:22 AM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
500 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
"I still feel the Kawai come out on top in terms of sound. It just sounds richer."

Sounds like a pro for the Kawai then.

"As to their functions, Casio has Bluetooth Audio and Kawai Bluetooth Midi. Which of these do you find more important?"

Neither is important.

...necessarily. Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Bluetooth audio won't work for absolute real time audio but works for playing along with a song etc. If you would use MIDI then Kawai's Bluetooth MIDI eliminates one cable from the setup.

"Does Casio have the ability to receive sounds back from Garageband, FL Studio etc [...]"

It has an "Audio IN" socket in the backpanel, so yes. And the Kawai doesn't.

So, that's a pro for Casio.

"The only thing making me hesitate on the Kawai is that it is only limited to 19 sounds."

The Casio is limited to 18 sounds. Kawai wins. And the sounds might even be better, though I don't think there's need to talk down Casio nowadays.

"What do I do if I want to add more effects?"

I guess by "effects" you mean sounds(?)

You connect either piano to a computer/tablet/phone via MIDI/USB-MIDI/Bluetooth-MIDI and run a virtual instrument software. Or connect to a hardware sound module. And on the Casio you can route that audio back into the piano. On the Kawai you need to use something else to get the sound out and into your ears.

"Any other pros and cons about these two?"

Kawai has 100 drum patterns in addition to just a basic metronome.

Kawai's triple pedal bar is attached to the stand (if you get either optional accessory) and definitely won't move around. But I don't know if that's a problem with the Casio pedal anyway.

Kawai has a "longer pivot length" in its keys, so playability is more consistent along the key.

The Casio is way more compact and lighter.

Re: Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 [Re: neret] #2882959
08/24/19 08:48 AM
08/24/19 08:48 AM
Sao Paul, Brazil
E
EVC2017 Online content
EVC2017  Online Content
E

Sao Paul, Brazil
About the other sounds (gazillions vs 19), it depends on what you want to do with the piano. IMO most "other" sounds are cr@ppy in most keyboards, e.g. RD2000. They may be useful in some situations in a gig but if your main purpose is playing piano at home, then built-in acoustic and electric pianos must suffice with some strings to layer with. Again, IMO.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Re: Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 [Re: neret] #2883024
08/24/19 01:18 PM
08/24/19 01:18 PM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
500 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
We could also confuse you by mentioning the Roland FP-10 and FP-30. They are very similar portable pianos than the Kawai and Casio and maybe something to consider.

But neither one has audio input, if that matters. They do have Bluetooth MIDI in most countries at least.

Re: Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 [Re: neret] #2883096
08/24/19 06:21 PM
08/24/19 06:21 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

if playing an actual (acoustic/mechanical) piano interests you, the kawai will give you a better foundation, in terms of action and touch responsiveness. if you prefer the kawai's sound, that is also an important element of the touch/physical energy input/auditory response feed back. the casio's advantages are in other aspects, like compact size and portability.

Re: Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 [Re: neret] #2883518
08/26/19 01:34 AM
08/26/19 01:34 AM
P
PwYm Offline
PwYm  Offline
P

Get the Kawai .

Re: Kawai ES110 vs. Casio PX-S1000 [Re: neret] #2883760
08/26/19 06:31 PM
08/26/19 06:31 PM
N
neret Offline OP
neret  Offline OP
N

Thank you guys for all of your replies! I ended up buying the Kawai ES110 after an intense week of basically reading every review there is to find online of the best digital piano under 1000 dollars. I read reviews and watched about 200 videos on YouTube, comparing the Roland FP-10 (my choice at first), FP-30, Kawai ES110 and then Casio PX-S1000.

At first, I liked the sound and the pricepoint of Roland FP-10 for around 400-450 dollars, but when I realized that just 'a few dollars more' could give me something special, I knew I had to look closer at the Kawai as it has been named by many as the best digital piano you can find for under 1000 dollars, since it came two years ago and still going strong. The Roland-models are quite nice and I played the FP-30 but was not a fan of the keys at all. And the sound is bright, metallic and a bit exaggerated.

The new Casio-models made me a bit uncertain of my choice to pick the Kawai, for a few reasons but mainly being new models and maybe offering something new in terms of connectivity, sounds etc as ES110 has been out for two years. But while the Casio models offered some neat features like running on battery, having bluetooth audio and being portable, it wasn't really important to me as I would mostly stay at home practising anyway. And it's not that hard to just listen to music on other devices. Audio-IN could have been an argument for me but the Casio seem to be missing that too? The sound was more than fine on the Casio but there was just something genuine about the sound of the Kawai that gave me goose bumps. I have never owned a DP before but it was obvious when listening to people play it that Kawai know how to make pianos.

The grand piano sound is fantastic, the speakers are more than enough for an apartment, and I absolutely love the key action and the way they just 'pops' back up. The feel of the keys are very nice and I like it better than Roland's ivory feel.
Very happy with this purchase, especially as I got it for just 450 dollars (it had been on display at a store for a year with a few people playing on it, but it was as good as new and everything intact).

I know that Kawai will most likely release the ES120 in the beginning of next year, but I'm not really missing many functions and it will probably be more expensive than the current ES110. A few more sounds would have been welcomed, or a display as it is quite tricky to change stuff. But with Midi (and being able to convert to USB by buying a cable), line-out and a fantastic key action, there's not a lot more to ask for so I can highly recommend it for anyone who's thinking of buying a DP in this price range.

As mentioned earlier, the only thing that could have made it even better would have been to be able to use instrument sounds from a DAW (FL Studio) and get the sound out of the Kawai speakers. It would have been fun to play drums on the keys but I guess this can't be done? Someone mentioned a "hardware sound module", how does that work?

Thanks again for all replies smile

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Seeking an inexpensive external audio interface for Linux
by Tyrone Slothrop. 09/17/19 05:19 PM
Should I buy this Steinway Model B 1928
by bonedoctor. 09/17/19 04:11 PM
what's the best way to record my digital piano?
by Álvaro. 09/17/19 04:10 PM
Knuckle position and leverage
by jsilva. 09/17/19 04:03 PM
got me an MP11se :)
by brogh. 09/17/19 02:39 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,079
Posts2,870,508
Members94,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission