Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
103 registered members (ando, Abdol, ajames, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, b3maniac, 5boys, 36251, 22 invisible), 8,418 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
PCA has a feedback teacher! #2882639
08/23/19 07:30 AM
08/23/19 07:30 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
I cannot write this without sounding like an advertisement, so I won't even try. As you may know, PianoCareerAcademy or PCA is an online piano teaching program that works according to the principles of the Russian piano school - but in a very friendly way. This program has hundreds of videos that takes pianists slowly and methodically from the very beginning to an intermediate/advanced level, and it is just so good!

Now the one thing that has been missing lately from this program is getting feedback, so you know that you are on still the right track in applying everything that you have been taught. And this is very important, because even if you make videos of yourself, it can be very hard to see what you're doing wrong. But from the beginning of August, they have hired a feedback teacher. Students can submit videos playing pieces from the lessons once a week, and then they get feedback. So far, the feedback has always come the next day, and it is really good, focusing on one or two things that a student can improve.

I am so happy with this, and I thought of telling you all, in case someone is interested in this way of learning to play the piano. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2882643
08/23/19 07:49 AM
08/23/19 07:49 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
That’s great! I’ve watched a few of her videos, but she is a little wordy and they take too much time for my tastes. Otherwise excellent though. Good luck with the series!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2882687
08/23/19 09:40 AM
08/23/19 09:40 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
How do they provide the feedback? Is it in email form, or video as well?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Morodiene] #2882700
08/23/19 10:14 AM
08/23/19 10:14 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by Morodiene
How do they provide the feedback? Is it in email form, or video as well?

Written. The submitted videos are posted in a forum and the feedback is written as an answer beneath it. All members can see the videos and read the feedback. Usually the feedback also contains a link to a tutorial video, or a lesson video.

(Previously Ilinca made elaborate feedback videos that were like whole lessons, but this works much better, also because you get feedback so fast.)

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2882756
08/23/19 01:22 PM
08/23/19 01:22 PM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Great news!

[Linked Image]
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2882803
08/23/19 04:01 PM
08/23/19 04:01 PM
SLO, CA, USA
W
WaterDeer Offline
WaterDeer  Offline
W

SLO, CA, USA
So you have to share your playing with the whole world ? It is not done privately ?

Adult beginner
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: WaterDeer] #2882807
08/23/19 04:23 PM
08/23/19 04:23 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by WaterDeer
So you have to share your playing with the whole world ? It is not done privately ?

For both ArtistWorks and PCA, the feedback is shared openly but only with subscribers of the course. The recordings you make to get feedback on are also essentially anonymous in that you can use a handle like "WaterDeer" and you can film yourself in an anonymous way without your face (only hands and keyboard, for example). It's unlikely that even friends and family who even happened to also be subscribers, would recognise you from that much. Would this still be a concern for you?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2882817
08/23/19 05:21 PM
08/23/19 05:21 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Offline

MichaelJK  Offline

Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Animisha
I cannot write this without sounding like an advertisement, so I won't even try. As you may know, PianoCareerAcademy or PCA is an online piano teaching program that works according to the principles of the Russian piano school - but in a very friendly way. This program has hundreds of videos that takes pianists slowly and methodically from the very beginning to an intermediate/advanced level, and it is just so good!

I'm curious to know what you like about this program. Is there something in these videos that you have found lacking elsewhere?

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: MichaelJK] #2882826
08/23/19 05:43 PM
08/23/19 05:43 PM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by MichaelJK

I'm curious to know what you like about this program. Is there something in these videos that you have found lacking elsewhere?

This is a comprehensive course that follows a Russian piano development curriculum for classical piano which is the Russian analog to the ABRSM and RCM programs. The creator of PCA is a conservatory-trained piano teacher, Ilinca Vartic. It is really difficult to compare to other video instruction as it is one of the only two truly comprehensive online classical piano programs starting from playing middle-C and progressing to Chopin. PCA follows the Nikolaev textbooks pretty rigorously and there are hundreds of hours of videos going through piece by piece in Nikolaev - some people might agree with cmb13 above that "she is a little wordy and they take too much time for my tastes." She laboriously dissects and instructs in fine detail. You should look at the PCA thread for more info. The difference now is that now one gets one-on-one feedback which makes it more individualised instruction than it was before, when it was purely a video course, and you could not get feedback on whether one was using the techniques properly. She did offer some feedback before also, but for at least 6 months, she canceled that part of PCA until she just hired a feedback teacher.

BTW, Nikolaev is a famous series of piano textbooks in Russia and most Russian pianists have used it when they were first learning, including many of the famous concert pianists. My wife used it herself in Moscow many years ago.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2882870
08/23/19 09:21 PM
08/23/19 09:21 PM
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

This is a comprehensive course that follows a Russian piano development curriculum for classical piano which is the Russian analog to the ABRSM and RCM programs. The creator of PCA is a conservatory-trained piano teacher, Ilinca Vartic. It is really difficult to compare to other video instruction as it is one of the only two truly comprehensive online classical piano programs starting from playing middle-C and progressing to Chopin. PCA follows the Nikolaev textbooks pretty rigorously and there are hundreds of hours of videos going through piece by piece in Nikolaev - some people might agree with cmb13 above that "she is a little wordy and they take too much time for my tastes." She laboriously dissects and instructs in fine detail. You should look at the PCA thread for more info. The difference now is that now one gets one-on-one feedback which makes it more individualised instruction than it was before, when it was purely a video course, and you could not get feedback on whether one was using the techniques properly. She did offer some feedback before also, but for at least 6 months, she canceled that part of PCA until she just hired a feedback teacher.

BTW, Nikolaev is a famous series of piano textbooks in Russia and most Russian pianists have used it when they were first learning, including many of the famous concert pianists. My wife used it herself in Moscow many years ago.

I think this may be the addition that has me sign up for her courses.

[Linked Image]
Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2883391
08/25/19 04:55 PM
08/25/19 04:55 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Offline

MichaelJK  Offline

Connecticut, USA

Thanks for the info!

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: MichaelJK] #2883514
08/26/19 01:26 AM
08/26/19 01:26 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden

Tyrone answered your question, so I'll just add a few words about my personal experience. I am completely sold on the Russian piano technique that is so gentle for my hands, and which very systematically builds your technique. At the same time, the teacher is quite the opposite of the stereotype of the strict Russian piano teacher - with a friendly and holistic approach to piano playing. Her analyses of each piece has also opened up my hearing - I can discern so much more now when I listen to music.

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: WaterDeer] #2883517
08/26/19 01:31 AM
08/26/19 01:31 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by WaterDeer

Not with the whole world WaterDeer, only with the other members of PCA. It's good, because we can also learn from the feedback that others get. But of course, you don't need to use your own name and you don't have to film your face, if you don't want others to see who you are.

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2883580
08/26/19 09:19 AM
08/26/19 09:19 AM
Sweden
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
[quote=MichaelJK]I'm curious to know what you like about this program. Is there something in these videos that you have found lacking elsewhere?

PS A little detail: I also love having a teacher with smaller hands than I do. It means that I am never even tempted to stretch my hands more than I can. smile

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2884389
08/28/19 09:41 AM
08/28/19 09:41 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

It is really difficult to compare to other video instruction as it is one of the only two truly comprehensive online classical piano programs starting from playing middle-C and progressing to Chopin.

Tyrone, curious as to which is the other program? ArtistWorks?

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: WeakLeftHand] #2884405
08/28/19 10:20 AM
08/28/19 10:20 AM

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
It is really difficult to compare to other video instruction as it is one of the only two truly comprehensive online classical piano programs starting from playing middle-C and progressing to Chopin.

The Artist Works Christie Peery is the one I meant which is based on the RCM program and also prepares one for the RCM exams. I don’t know how many of her online students actually take the exams though since she does her own certification by level.

But Animisha is the expert on both of these two programs and probably can fill you in on that one.

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2884423
08/28/19 11:16 AM
08/28/19 11:16 AM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
WeakLeftHand  Offline
W

Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

The Artist Works Christie Peery is the one I meant which is based on the RCM program and also prepares one for the RCM exams. I don’t know how many of her online students actually take the exams though since she does her own certification by level.

But Animisha is the expert on both of these two programs and probably can fill you in on that one.

Thanks. I probably won't be taking either of these programs at the moment, but wanted to arm myself with the knowledge for the future, should circumstances change.

Re: PCA has a feedback teacher! [Re: Animisha] #2884490
08/28/19 02:13 PM
08/28/19 02:13 PM
Connecticut, USA
MichaelJK Offline

MichaelJK  Offline

Connecticut, USA

Tyrone answered your question, so I'll just add a few words about my personal experience. I am completely sold on the Russian piano technique that is so gentle for my hands, and which very systematically builds your technique. At the same time, the teacher is quite the opposite of the stereotype of the strict Russian piano teacher - with a friendly and holistic approach to piano playing. Her analyses of each piece has also opened up my hearing - I can discern so much more now when I listen to music.

It sounds like you're finding it very useful!

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Current Estonia concert Grand model 274
by Keith D Kerman. 09/18/19 01:07 PM
Kawai CA-51 - Cost today
by 5boys. 09/18/19 12:56 PM
Would love some feedback on my Jazz attempt
by hyena. 09/18/19 12:36 PM
1960's Steck upright piano
by Keezer. 09/18/19 11:41 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,090
Posts2,870,716
Members94,442
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission