Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
104 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, b3maniac, ChatNoir, 5boys, 36251, 23 invisible), 8,466 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 #2882603
08/23/19 03:17 AM
08/23/19 03:17 AM
San Diego, CA
D
dsutton01 Offline OP
dsutton01  Offline OP
D

San Diego, CA
Hi everyone,

I'd love some feedback on a sort of emotional decision I'm trying to make.

My parents bought a 1986 Kawai GE-1 when I was a kid, partly because they wanted me to have a nice instrument to learn on, and mostly, I think, because they wanted a nice showpiece. It was bought new that year, is still with our family, and is in excellent condition, though it needs a tune.

As I got older, I stopped taking lessons, but continued to play on it periodically when I was at my parents' house visiting. My 15-year-old niece is now getting good at piano and she loves to play it when she comes over too.

Parents recently had to move to a smaller place and can no longer accommodate the piano. I could probably fit it into my house (with some effort), but I also have someone who wants to buy it at a fair price, $5850. I'm going back and forth on this, part of me would be relieved that I don't have to deal with moving it and keeping it, but the other part of me is thinking that it would be a delight to play on that piano when/if I eventually resume lessons (which is in the plan), and after 33 years, maybe i should think of it as a family heirloom.

I also know that when/if I do resume lessons, I'll probably be able to find another one at a lower price (but its condition may be worse than mine).

I know no one can decide this for me, but it's a hard decision and I'd love to hear some opinions. Is it a smarter decision to let it go and buy one when/if I want it in the future? Is this one getting to an age where it's going to begin depreciating more quickly? I'm somewhat attached to it, but I'm also trying to be logical about this decision.

Thanks for the counseling smile

Last edited by dsutton01; 08/23/19 03:27 AM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882646
08/23/19 07:57 AM
08/23/19 07:57 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Hello, dsutton01, and welcome to piano world!

If you could possibly find room, I'd keep your family's Kawai baby grand piano. Yea, they do take up a fair amount of space, at least as much as a small dining room table. On the other hand, it is a family heirloom.

You already have a buyer for it, and it is just a matter of making a decision to keep or sell. If it is not going to be a huge inconvenience for you to keep it, I'd keep it and have it tuned and play it, and enjoy it and let your niece play it to her heart's content. If it will cause too much of a disruption in your household to keep it, then sell it and buy another one later on. But you will never be able to buy that particular piano back, most likely.

You're right, it is a hard decision. My .02? Keep it and enjoy it if you have the room.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882661
08/23/19 08:46 AM
08/23/19 08:46 AM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
If you're still hesitant to sell after being offered a really fair price for a private sale, it must mean a lot to you. If space is limited, you might be better off selling it and buying a nice upright when you get ready to play again.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882665
08/23/19 08:50 AM
08/23/19 08:50 AM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
I would be inclined to keep it if you're planning to play again. Keeping the piano is a low risk option, especially compared to selling it and buying a new one later on.

Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882674
08/23/19 09:11 AM
08/23/19 09:11 AM
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
"... in excellent condition ..." I think nearly answers the question. The other thing I suspect - you sound like you really want to keep it, or you wouldn't have posted the question.

But - if you do keep it, get it tuned, as the longer a piano is left out of tune, the more tunes it takes to stabilise it again.

Just my 0.02 too.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882676
08/23/19 09:16 AM
08/23/19 09:16 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden
Welcome to PW, dsutton01!

Originally Posted by dsutton01
the other part of me is thinking that it would be a delight to play on that piano when/if I eventually resume lessons (which is in the plan)

Why wait for this delight to happen? When you suddenly get a lovely piano, now seems to be the best time.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882693
08/23/19 09:52 AM
08/23/19 09:52 AM
Urbandale, Iowa
S
Steve Chandler Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Steve Chandler  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

Urbandale, Iowa
As long as returning to piano is a consideration you should keep it. You won't find a decent grand for the same price down the road (free) and while selling it will provide a modest windfall, should you return to piano later you'll need to buy something to practice on. That opens the door to spending much more down the road.

Of course everyone here is a player (or they wouldn't be here) so we're biased. You won't get an unbiased opinion on this forum, everyone will tell you to keep it. I simply tried to explain the rationale for doing so.

Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882705
08/23/19 10:20 AM
08/23/19 10:20 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
My vote is to keep it if at all possible. Invest in professional piano movers. I have a feeling down the road you’ll be so happy you kept it. It was also be stronger incentive to return to practicing and returning to lessons.

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882707
08/23/19 10:26 AM
08/23/19 10:26 AM
Southeast US
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Southeast US
You won't get an unbiased opinion on this forum

This is so true! It's also part of what I love about PW!! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: ShiroKuro] #2882710
08/23/19 10:39 AM
08/23/19 10:39 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
You won't get an unbiased opinion on this forum

This is so true! It's also part of what I love about PW!! smile

That’s exactly the reason our OP dsutton01 asked that question here. If I’m shopping for the opinion that says keep it, where else would I ask for moral support and backup? grin

J & J
Yamaha C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882837
08/23/19 06:45 PM
08/23/19 06:45 PM
Just outside London UK
akc42 Offline
500 Post Club Member
akc42  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just outside London UK
In 1956 (when I was 5) my father bought a Knight K10 (High quality British Upright). He played it quite a bit in his younger days and used to have musical evenings with his friends. My mother rarely played, although the only piece I ever heard he play on in was Chopin's Nocturne Op 9 No 2. I took lessons (at the teachers house) but rarely practiced so only played it a little bit.

In the early 1990s it was handed down to me, although I still never played it. I did however get it tuned every year. My youngest daughter did take piano lessons on it. So in May 2017, when she finally moved into a big house it was shipped to her.

I decided to restart piano in September that year, but having given away the family heirloom had to buy a digital.

One of my greatest pleasures is a visit to my daughter and an opportunity to play that piano. It brings back so many memories of my childhood and my fathers musical talents. He passed away in 2001. In addition I have learnt that Chopin Nocturne, and was able to play it to my mother (who has dementia)

and now my grandchildren will have an instrument that they can learn to play on.

A piano carries with it so many memories. You can't sell yours and ever get those memories back. Find a way to hold on to it and pass it down the generations.

Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882911
08/24/19 01:31 AM
08/24/19 01:31 AM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
All I can say is keep the piano,or give it to another close family member.
Wishing you happy memories with the Kawai grand !

Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882913
08/24/19 01:40 AM
08/24/19 01:40 AM
San Diego, CA
D
dsutton01 Offline OP
dsutton01  Offline OP
D

San Diego, CA
Thank you everyone for the wonderful words of encouragement and very unbiased opinions smile

I have decided to keep the Kawai. I'm going to rearrange some things in my house and make it fit nicely in the living room. I'm excited to have it with me, and even more excited to begin piano lessons once again. @akc42, I'm listening to Chopin's Nocturne Op 9 No 2 as I type this, and thinking that I just may have to learn that piece too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story. I'm so glad you were able to play that piece for your mom.

I suspect I'll be posting quite a bit more here as I ramp back up!

Thanks again.

Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: dsutton01] #2882957
08/24/19 08:41 AM
08/24/19 08:41 AM
Indianapolis
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
GC13  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Indianapolis
Thank you everyone for the wonderful words of encouragement and very unbiased opinions smile

I have decided to keep the Kawai. I'm going to rearrange some things in my house and make it fit nicely in the living room. I'm excited to have it with me, and even more excited to begin piano lessons once again. @akc42, I'm listening to Chopin's Nocturne Op 9 No 2 as I type this, and thinking that I just may have to learn that piece too. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story. I'm so glad you were able to play that piece for your mom.

Thanks again.

I think you're making a wise decision. You can always sell the piano later if it just doesn't work, but you can't get it back once it's sold. I would never part with my piano unless I was absolutely 100% certain I was ready to part with it and had no other options.

Enjoy your reunion with your lovely Kawai piano!

Re: Parents had to move, what to do with their Kawai GE-1 [Re: GC13] #2882977
08/24/19 10:06 AM
08/24/19 10:06 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by GC13

Thanks again.

I think you're making a wise decision. You can always sell the piano later if it just doesn't work, but you can't get it back once it's sold. I would never part with my piano unless I was absolutely 100% certain I was ready to part with it and had no other options.

Enjoy your reunion with your lovely Kawai piano!

I agree that you are making a wise decision. Enjoy your new adventure with your piano.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Current Estonia concert Grand model 274
by Keith D Kerman. 09/18/19 01:07 PM
Kawai CA-51 - Cost today
by 5boys. 09/18/19 12:56 PM
Would love some feedback on my Jazz attempt
by hyena. 09/18/19 12:36 PM
1960's Steck upright piano
by Keezer. 09/18/19 11:41 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,090
Posts2,870,716
Members94,442
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission