Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (Abdol, ando, ajames, 604Rakuda, Akaitsuki, Animisha, AlphaBravoCharlie, b3maniac, 22 invisible), 7,565 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question #2882503
08/22/19 06:31 PM
08/22/19 06:31 PM
B
brogh Online content OP
brogh  Online Content OP
B

Hello all smile

Brogh here typing from Italy, lurked on this forum for some time and then i finally decided to join to ask for some help, well the moment has come for me to get a digital piano, I've narrowed down to a couple of models, which are in my price range both in the new and used market, i put in a little background...

Always was into music since a little kid like 4 or so, played drums for 15 years the last five as a semi-pro, then well "life happen" and now it's 10 years or so that i play guitar, i'm looking to get more into music production, i like jazz, country, blues, classical, soul, but really any genre, except super super heavy stuff.
I play a very very little piano, as i don't own one, i have a micro keyboard that i use to study theory with the guitar, but it's basically a toy... ( well it was really cheap ).

Back in the days, yeah i'm not a youngster anymore :P, i had a friend living nearby who is a professional classical pianist, he had a yamaha 1/2 coda and welll .. that was a great piano, i played it a bit and took some lessons from him, after that .....tried out some digital pianos in the past from time to time, but ( not trying to create a debate here ) all those to me had really (pardon the term to me ) "bad keys", it's called "action" if i'm not mistaking, all felt really weird, if i can catch an acoustic piano from time to time when visiting music shops, or when visiting friends, i always feel at "home", the keys just feel right.

it's some time that i'm not putting my hands on digital pianos, so things have probably changed a lot, i'm going to a shop tomorrow and in some others in the next days, i made some homework trough the internet, and looked at casio kawai, roland and yamaha, for availability, price i noticed that kawai is quite good priced and available around here ( but hey you're the experts smile so any advice is welcome. )

i was looking at the VCP1, but the action on the mp11se seems to be superior, wooden keys and the almost full length key, i'm going to give a ride on the mp11se tomorrow, the VPC1 is in another shop and i can't make it in one day.

purpose of the piano i'm looking to get

- Learning piano
- Daw recording & music production
- have fun with friends
- long durability & reliability - 100 % home studio use

and here comes what's bugging me a bit,

i like what i've seen read and heard about the two items above i need to put my hands on them but, none of them have a feature that i'd really like to have, the possibility of just turning it on and play......getting all the audio chain fired up with the VPC1 for being able to use it makes it the least favorite at the moment, the mp11se needs to be hooked up to a pair of speakers but i can use headphones to "just play"..

Is there a mp11se with speakers in it maybe of other brands ? i'm quite confused right now and i feel like going in circles smile i was also looking at roland 2000something, nord stage 3 (or piano4), and i don't recall the yamaha model.

and here come the questions smile

So what's your take here ? as said i'm going to put hands on them i'm really positive that what i will feel under my fingers will do the cut more that the features. what model should i look at that i might have missed ?

what do you feel about the two models i mentioned ? and if you have one how are you getting along with it.

and ... as those babies are quote heavy, any advice for a good stand (possibly with wheels.. ) ? ... I need a new desk, i was looking at some desks with retractable keyboard drawer, the mp11se wont' fit per say in most of them .. any advice ?

Thank you !!

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question [Re: brogh] #2882617
08/23/19 06:08 AM
08/23/19 06:08 AM
Suffolk, United Kingdom
E
EssBrace Online content
3000 Post Club Member
EssBrace  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
E

Suffolk, United Kingdom
Good luck in your search.

It would be useful for you if either of the Kawai dealers also has the ES8. More or less the same piano sounds as the MP11SE and also has built-in speakers which are more than good enough to satisfy your 'turn it on and play' moments. The downside, if you could call it that, is that its action is of a different type. It has a plastic 'folded' type of digital piano action which is structurally very different to the wooden Kawai actions. That said, the ES8's action is very well regarded and some people could even prefer it to the wooden actions, depending on their preferences.

If you can sort some powered speakers out then I doubt you would be disappointed with the MP11SE.

As far as other manufacturers are concerned there is the Roland FP90 - decent built in speakers and a good key action. Yamaha P515 has a couple of very good piano sounds on it and a good action with built-in speakers.

There's no bad choice among these pianos but there will be one or two that stand out as being preferable TO YOU.

Enjoy your search!

Roland RD-1000 | Broadwood Grand Piano
Re: Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question [Re: brogh] #2882641
08/23/19 07:40 AM
08/23/19 07:40 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Benvenuto a PianoWorld, brogh! Amo l'Italia, ma mi dispiace per il mio brutto italiano. Scrivo solo in inglese.

I really cannot help much with slab digital pianos, but when I saw a first time poster from Italy, I wanted to say hello.

Take advantage of the collective knowledge here. There are some passionate people here.

Good luck with your choice. In bocca di lupo!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question [Re: brogh] #2882644
08/23/19 07:54 AM
08/23/19 07:54 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dexibell keyboards are molto bene and made in Italy .... https://www.dexibell.com/

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question [Re: brogh] #2882650
08/23/19 08:04 AM
08/23/19 08:04 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by brogh
the mp11se needs to be hooked up to a pair of speakers but i can use headphones to "just play"..

The problem is you are not thinking of speakers as part of the mp11se. But powered speakers/monitors can be as inexpensive (25€) or as expensive as you want. Just consider the purchase of a dedicated set of speakers as part of the DP itself and leave it permanently powered on and connected.

That's what I do. I walk over to my DP (N1X), sit down, put on the headphones, and just play. No powering anything on. No turning any knobs. It's great.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question [Re: brogh] #2882734
08/23/19 12:06 PM
08/23/19 12:06 PM
B
brogh Online content OP
brogh  Online Content OP
B

Hello All !

thanks for the replies and the welcome smile Thanks Rich for the Italian greeting, come over, it's nice here smile

Well trip N°1 didn't turn out great frown the shop i went to today didn't have neither the mp11se, neither the rd2000 in house , both were marked as available on the website frown , so no tests today, tomorrow i'll be going to another shop to give a look at a bun ch of them, yamaha cp88, nord stage 3, rd2000, they also have Dexibell so i think i'll have a busy day smile

About the monitors, yeah i already have a copule of monitors which will do for the moment, no big deal, i'll find a way smile

Thanks to all for the tips !

Cheers

Re: Your opinion on a couple of digital pianos - newbie question [Re: brogh] #2882737
08/23/19 12:15 PM
08/23/19 12:15 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I was recently shopping for a digital piano and liked the Yamaha P-515. Both the action and on board sounds were nice.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best YouTube Channels For Non Classical Piano Lessons?
by RhodesFanatic. 09/18/19 02:05 PM
Current Estonia concert Grand model 274
by Keith D Kerman. 09/18/19 01:07 PM
Kawai CA-51 - Cost today
by 5boys. 09/18/19 12:56 PM
Would love some feedback on my Jazz attempt
by hyena. 09/18/19 12:36 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,092
Posts2,870,738
Members94,443
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission