Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
90 registered members (2Pianos, anotherscott, Blague, Álvaro, astrotoy, 36251, 22 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano #2882494
08/22/19 06:05 PM
08/22/19 06:05 PM
P
Ppff Offline OP
Ppff  Offline OP
P

I have a digital piano with a very good sampling sound, however the roland KC amp that I used will not produce a real acoustic piano sound.
The lower octave sounds muddle and unclean when playing, the upper octave sounds brittle.
Playing around with the internal EQ or the amp EQ does not solve the problem.
If anyone out there has tried a good combo of active monitor, spk+ amp.
Could you please share your setup.
I lived in an apartment, to have an 18" woofer will not work for me. I am also aware nothing beats the acoustic,
Thanks
Ppff

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882530
08/22/19 07:52 PM
08/22/19 07:52 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I've been told that keyboard amps are not suitable for use with digital pianos. So choose a pair of monitors instead.

There are many suitable monitors available, ranging from around $250 a pair up to thousands. Everyone has a recommendation ... but perhaps it would be worthwhile to try for yourself.

I noticed earlier this year that my local Guitar Center has monitors on demo. Bring your phone with music, plug it in, and listen. Perhaps you can find a similarly equipped store?

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: MacMacMac] #2882548
08/22/19 09:12 PM
08/22/19 09:12 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P

Bay Area CA
Mac x 3 makes an excellent point.

In addition, Charles Cohen's recommendation in other threads of the EV ZX1 is an excellent one-box solution. Hmm . . . maybe it's ZXA1? Anyway, I have one of these and it does a great job. (I also have a number of powered monitor pairs, most of which are fine - but the simplicity of the EV is really nice!)

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882556
08/22/19 09:46 PM
08/22/19 09:46 PM
P
Ppff Offline OP
Ppff  Offline OP
P

Thanks for the reply.
May I ask why keyboard amp is not suitable for digital piano?
I thought they are supposed to build for the digital piano.
The studio monitor are mainly use for mix down, it may be good for hiphop and modern music but may not be suitable for classical piano.
When I listened the piano sound thru the headphone, it seems acceptable but I do not enjoy playing with my headphone all the time.
In terms of woofer size, what size of a monitor will give a clear lower octave sound, i.e. every note that I play on my Left hand is clean.
Thanks

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882560
08/22/19 10:16 PM
08/22/19 10:16 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
9000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I don't know why this is so because I've never owned a keyboard amp. But I've read it many times.
Originally Posted by Ppff
May I ask why keyboard amp is not suitable for digital piano? I thought they are supposed to build for the digital piano.

Speakers are suitable for any kind of music.
The studio monitor are mainly use for mix down, it may be good for hiphop and modern music but may not be suitable for classical piano.
Monitors are directional and won't fill a room. They're for the performer. If that suits you, get 'em.

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882577
08/22/19 10:46 PM
08/22/19 10:46 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P

Bay Area CA
I did own one of the Roland keyboard amps - don't know why it didn't sound good, but it didn't. Btw, the EV speaker I mentioned above is a "PA" speaker, so it can fill a nice-sized space. But it's clean and honest, without flaws or peaks I hear in some other PA-style speakers. For me, the EV sounds good when I'm just listening to myself and also if there are other folks in the room.

PS: I'm not trying to "sell" you on the EV too hard - I just think it's a high-quality (and compact) option that's reasonably affordable if you buy just one. Again, Charles Cohen can answer much more than I about the EV speaker and its application and performance, should you wish to explore more.

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882839
08/23/19 06:56 PM
08/23/19 06:56 PM
P
Ppff Offline OP
Ppff  Offline OP
P

Thanks, I will see if I can find the EV ZX1 in Oz.
BTW, long ago, I have tried out a EV sentry monitor, it is a vintage piece, and it sounds terrible.
Sound is compressed and does not have the clarity that I am after, but things may change. This is just my first impression.
Apart from EV, is there any other active speakers or monitor.
What about Alesis??
Someone mentioned the monitor suppose to project sound directional and whereas PA speakers supposed to fill a room.
From a live run & home application, does anyone tried out Fender Passport type of setup or Stagepass from Peavey??
Any comment

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882871
08/23/19 09:22 PM
08/23/19 09:22 PM
R
robinlb Online content
robinlb  Online Content
R

Dnt know your budget, but my suggestion, you can choose a pair of high quality monitors with 5.5~7 inchs mid-low unit, and a subwoofer.
For example, Adam A5x or A7x with a sub7 or sub8.

CA98~~RME ADI2 DAC~~VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882882
08/23/19 09:46 PM
08/23/19 09:46 PM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
Thanks for the reply.
May I ask why keyboard amp is not suitable for digital piano?
I thought they are supposed to build for the digital piano.
When I listened the piano sound thru the headphone, it seems acceptable but I do not enjoy playing with my headphone all the time.
In terms of woofer size, what size of a monitor will give a clear lower octave sound, i.e. every note that I play on my Left hand is clean.
Thanks

Keyboard amps, like PA’s are designed to project sound a long way and fill a large space. There is a trade off between accuracy and projecting sound to fill a large space. Good quality nearfield monitors do the opposite— focus on accuracy at the expense of filling even a medium size space. Home stereo speakers are in the middle of that continuum.

Roland keyboard amps use standard piezoelectric horn tweeters that always have nasty peaks somewhere in the high end sufficient to compromise the voicing of a piano.

To amplify a digital piano for a performance, powered PA amps by QSC, JBL, Yamaha, or Electrovoice work better than many keyboard amps. There also are some high end keyboard amps that work as well as a good PA, but none of these are as accurate as a good quality nearfield monitor.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882883
08/23/19 10:00 PM
08/23/19 10:00 PM
A
anotherscott Online content
5000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Roland KC amps are about giving you a lot of loudness for the money. If you need to keep up with a guitarist and you have a moderate budget, a KC will do it for you. But piano is the hardest instrument to get sounding right, and the KC is the wrong tool for the job. You want something that is about accuracy rather than volume. In a small space for personal use, small studio monitors will do the job (a lot of people find the JBL LSR305 series to be a good value). For live band scenarios, quality PA speakers (EV, QSC, etc.) are good choices. Or for a self-contained multi-channel stereo amp, maybe look at Motion Sound.

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882910
08/24/19 01:16 AM
08/24/19 01:16 AM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
Thanks, I will see if I can find the EV ZX1 in Oz.
BTW, long ago, I have tried out a EV sentry monitor, it is a vintage piece, and it sounds terrible.
Sound is compressed and does not have the clarity that I am after, but things may change. This is just my first impression.
Apart from EV, is there any other active speakers or monitor.
What about Alesis??
Someone mentioned the monitor suppose to project sound directional and whereas PA speakers supposed to fill a room.
From a live run & home application, does anyone tried out Fender Passport type of setup or Stagepass from Peavey??
Any comment

Are you looking to amplify for a performance or to play for yourself? If the latter, don’t get a PA speaker. Compared to studio monitors, you will pay more for lower sound quality. I currently use a JBL EON 612 to amplify a keyboard for a performance. It is not perfect, but it meets my needs ok. It actually does better with piano sounds than it does with Nord organ sounds.

Digital pianos with a virtual piano technician feature can compensate for voicing problems with a PA, but it can be tedious.

I use JBL LSR305 studio monitors. I’m on my second pair (sold the first pair but didn’t like the monitors I acquired as a replacement/upgrade and bought another pair of LSR305’s). They have worked well for me, but apparently some people have received defective copies when purchasing that had issues with too loud of a noise floor with the tweeter amp. I don’t know how prevalent that issue is. JBL monitors are less directional than many other studio monitors, which is good for using them as keyboard monitors, but not so good for using them as mixing monitors. Presonus has monitors that are comparably priced but I’ve not used them.

KRK recently came out with their gen 4 monitors that are class D bi-amped and have a DSP room correction feature. By using class D amps it also addresses a problem with previous versions of KRK active monitors where their AB amps would overheat and circuitry would detect it and turn off the monitor while you are playing (or recording). KRK monitors in the past tended to accentuate mid-bass, but this may be fixed or fixable in the G4 products with DSP correction profiles.

Login name is a tribute to Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck, arguably the historically first great keyboard virtuoso.
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: pwl] #2882918
08/24/19 02:18 AM
08/24/19 02:18 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by pwl
Mac x 3 makes an excellent point.

In addition, Charles Cohen's recommendation in other threads of the EV ZX1 is an excellent one-box solution. Hmm . . . maybe it's ZXA1? Anyway, I have one of these and it does a great job. (I also have a number of powered monitor pairs, most of which are fine - but the simplicity of the EV is really nice!)

Nice things about the EV ZXA1-90B (designed as a combination "stage monitor" and "PA speaker"):

. . . It has an 8" woofer and rather large horn-loaded tweeter -- its frequency range is wide enough for 88 keys. There is not much power in the fundamental of the lowest octave on a piano (27-54 Hz, roughly). The ZXA1 is flat down to 60 Hz, so it handles the first harmonic (where there _is_ power) and higher harmonics OK. You won't need a subwoofer.

. . . It has a lot of power -- it will produce "live piano"sound levels, without distorting. As a PA system, it's fine for about 100 people. It will _not_ fill a 500-seat church -- I've tried.

. . . It weighs less than 20 pounds, and is easy to carry. You can orient the tweeter for use with the cabinet vertical, or horizontal.

. . . It has independent "line level" and "mic level" inputs. Add a dynamic mic, and you have an instant PA system, that will
. . . play from any audio source.

. . . Unlike most "studio monitors", it has a steel grille over the loudspeakers; you can put it in a car trunk and not worry.

. . . I got it on the recommendation of another PianoWorld user, who used it as a gigging PA system, and was very happy.

. . . When I started using it, I got compliments on its sound from other musicians.

To my ears, it has flat frequency response, and clean sound. It's overkill for home use, but it doesn't mind spending most of its life on a table in my workroom, pointed at my head. I could afford and find a place for one ZXA1 -- not two. So I play monophonic piano, when I'm not using headphones.

I'd bet it's available in Australia. It's been on the market for a long time.

There are a bunch of "studio monitors" available -- JBL, KRK, Yamaha. There is lots of subjectivity, each has its favorites. IMHO, get something with _at least_ a 5" woofer -- 8" seems to satisfy almost everyone.

I tried, once, using a Yamaha StagePas system with 8" woofers with my PX-350 -- it was great! It's better to have a powerful system loafing, than to have an under-powered system distorting.

Have fun searching --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2882921
08/24/19 02:32 AM
08/24/19 02:32 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
5000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
i forgot the one not-so-nice thing about the ZXA1:

. . . It's not cheap.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Charles Cohen] #2882972
08/24/19 09:47 AM
08/24/19 09:47 AM
Canada
A
Abdol Offline
Abdol  Offline
A

Canada
Are you going to play in your apartment unit or you want to perform publicly?

You should look for something with a wide frequency response PA or monitor speakers.

But almost all of the PA speakers I have seen so far have horrible frequency response. You don't need an amp nor a PA inside an apartment unit.

You need a nice pair of monitor speakers. Like Yamaha HS series or Adam a5x or 7x.

That being said, your output will never sound like an acoustic piano. The only difference is the samples you'll hear will be more detailed and balanced (flat).

To get a real acoustic piano sound, you should buy a ... piano.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Charles Cohen] #2883010
08/24/19 12:06 PM
08/24/19 12:06 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

. . . It's not cheap.

It's all relative. It's among the cheapest quality (i.e. good for piano) powered PA cabs you'll find. The likely alternatives from QSC, JBL, Yamaha, RCF, are generally pricier. The EV is the bargain of the category. But if it pushes your budget, I've heard good things about the cheaper ZLX-12P. It's heavier to carry around, but that's not always a factor.

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2883015
08/24/19 12:20 PM
08/24/19 12:20 PM
Lampedusa
N
newer player Online content
1000 Post Club Member
newer player  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N

Lampedusa
If this is a home situation, modern powered monitors are excellent value. Your apartment neighbours will not appreciate the subwoofer and those uber-low frequencies are not so important with piano (might be for a pipe organ VI); larger monitors will get you fine performance at lower frequencies.

But most important is room related and free of charge IMHO:

- placement of speakers in room (move around the room changing distance from walls, distance from corners, distance from you, etc). Try with speakers a metre or more from back wall. Experiment with speaker distance from each other and distance from your ears.

- basic room treatments (basic add/move around/remove) a rug, curtains, bookshelfs, furniture without going overboard).

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Charles Cohen] #2883061
08/24/19 03:26 PM
08/24/19 03:26 PM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

. . . It's not cheap.

The other is that it no longer appears to be a current product. There still are a few vendors with new stock for sale. The only reason to use a powered PA for personal practice is if it is practicing material for a performance, so you want to practice it with the speaker system that will be used in the performance.

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2883125
08/24/19 09:12 PM
08/24/19 09:12 PM
P
Ppff Offline OP
Ppff  Offline OP
P

For EV ZLX- not many vendor carried the stock, also it will be difficult to try it in my system at home.
In related to studio monitor, I am surprised they can cost up to few thousands on an Adam, Genelec, does this speakers really worth the money. How many times better than the EV or Yamaha HS.
Also looked into PA powered speakers, I went to a vendor, they have a pair of passive Nexo PS8, it sounds really good, but they do not have digital piano or syn to try out. When the volume goes up, it really filled up the high ceiling warehouse. The price however is also stunning. 5 digits price point. QSC seems a bite more reasonable.

One of you guys mentioned "Compared to studio monitors, you will pay more for lower sound quality. I currently use a JBL EON 612 to amplify a keyboard for a performance. It is not perfect, but it meets my needs ok. It actually does better with piano sounds than it does with Nord organ sounds.
Does that mean a studio monitor will sounds better than a PA speakers in general? Somehow if I can get a set of speakers can use both home and live, it will be great.

I want my digital piano sounds like an acoustic in a room- 10 m X 10 m. Would a studio monitor able to provide 1. Sound level 2. Bass response as compared to a PA speaker like JBL EON 612.
I have never measure the db for an acoustic piano say" Baby Grand".

JBL EON is more accessible in this country than EV for some reason.

Someone also mentioned Stagepas, what about Fender Passport? Given the price point, are these portable PA will compromise the overall performance. Has someone used this for live and home setup?

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2883127
08/24/19 09:33 PM
08/24/19 09:33 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Does that mean a studio monitor will sounds better than a PA speakers in general? Somehow if I can get a set of speakers can use both home and live, it will be great.

Speaking just in generalities here... Studio monitors will sound better but will be unsuitable for live ensemble use. They are ideal when placed for a listening audience of one as opposed to having to cover a wide listening area of dispersed listeners; they don't go as loud; they are not in road-worthy cabinetry and so are likely to get damaged. You can more easily get by with PA speakers for home than studio monitors for live.

Re: External speaker & Amp -Closest to the acoustic piano [Re: Ppff] #2883142
08/24/19 11:08 PM
08/24/19 11:08 PM
USA
S
Sweelinck Offline
Sweelinck  Offline
S

USA
One thing to keep in mind is that filling a large space requires moving more air and thus a larger driver for a given frequency response. Thus, a PA with a 12” driver may not have any more bass extension than a studio monitor with a 5” driver.

Expensive studio monitors may not sound better than cheaper ones, and may even sound worse for some content. They are designed for audio engineering work, to reveal what is going on in a mix. How good they sound will be commensurate with how well the content played was engineered. Pricing in USD, I personally would not consider any studio monitors costing over $800/pr for digital piano monitors, though some people do spend more. I thing that there are perfectly good options in the $300-400/pr range.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Seeking an inexpensive external audio interface for Linux
by Tyrone Slothrop. 09/17/19 05:19 PM
Should I buy this Steinway Model B 1928
by bonedoctor. 09/17/19 04:11 PM
what's the best way to record my digital piano?
by Álvaro. 09/17/19 04:10 PM
Knuckle position and leverage
by jsilva. 09/17/19 04:03 PM
got me an MP11se :)
by brogh. 09/17/19 02:39 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,079
Posts2,870,508
Members94,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission