Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (AndrewJCW, BeeZee4, anotherscott, Ankee, 90125, Abdol, Antihero, Álvaro, Alex Hutor, 21 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
The feeling when you finally remember #2881587
08/20/19 10:10 AM
08/20/19 10:10 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline OP
Sibylle  Offline OP

Ireland
I wrote about it before, when you have a piece in your head and you know it inside-out, but can't think what it is. It's agony when that happens! I don't know where the mental disconnect happens, but I hate it. It's like having it on the tip of my tongue and still not being able to remember.

Today it happened with a very particular 3rd movement of a concerto. Funnily I knew immediately it was the third movement, and went to Rachmaninov to start off with - nothing. The embarrassing truth was that it turned out to be - the big one, Tchaikowsky!!

I can't describe the blissful relief of remembering. Guess what's playing on Idagio now grin (and I don't listen to that one very often, it's so overplayed).

Why, brain? Why??

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2881591
08/20/19 10:29 AM
08/20/19 10:29 AM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
This happens to me all the time--worst when it's pieces you've played yourself and surely ought to know!

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2881597
08/20/19 10:57 AM
08/20/19 10:57 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by Sibylle

Today it happened with a very particular 3rd movement of a concerto. Funnily I knew immediately it was the third movement, and went to Rachmaninov to start off with - nothing. The embarrassing truth was that it turned out to be - the big one, Tchaikowsky!!

I often can't remember the source of tunes that are in some Romantic works, and have to work 'backwards' - first, which country the music comes from, then who the composer is: often the biggest hurdle - one Russian sounds much like another wink (whereas French, Spanish, Austro-German, Eastern European, American and even British composers - including those of the "cowpat" school smirk - sound quite unlike each other).

For instance, the main theme in the finale of this concerto (from 17:50) often foxed me when heard by itself: it sounds so familiar, yet I couldn't place it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biFJMwtZYE

My excuse of course is that it's rarely performed, so one rarely gets to hear it.......... whistle

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2881598
08/20/19 10:59 AM
08/20/19 10:59 AM
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Seattle area, WA
Happens to me all the time.

When I hear something on the radio, I try to guess what it is from just the first few notes. When I recognize it but can't remember the title or composer, it drives me crazy. When I guess wrong, it's even more aggravating.

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: bennevis] #2881620
08/20/19 12:17 PM
08/20/19 12:17 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by bennevis
....the main theme in the finale of this concerto (from 17:50) often foxed me when heard by itself: it sounds so familiar, yet I couldn't place it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biFJMwtZYE

My excuse of course is that it's rarely performed, so one rarely gets to hear it.......... whistle

I'm mega impressed just that it's familiar to you!

BTW, it's the only part of the concerto that I would recognize for what it is!!

Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2882140
08/21/19 05:11 PM
08/21/19 05:11 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

I wrote about it before, when you have a piece in your head and you know it inside-out, but can't think what it is. It's agony when that happens! I don't know where the mental disconnect happens, but I hate it. It's like having it on the tip of my tongue and still not being able to remember.

I can't describe the blissful relief of remembering. Guess what's playing on Idagio now grin (and I don't listen to that one very often, it's so overplayed).

Why, brain? Why??

I used to know the answer.....

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2882145
08/21/19 05:26 PM
08/21/19 05:26 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
I remember having a fairly long listening session to track down one of Schubert's Moment's Musicaux No.3.

Another time there was a passage from Beethoven's Choral Fantasy that I as background music in a video. It was only a couple of seconds. I knew that I had a recording, but had no idea past that. I wasn't even sure of the composer because the passage was so short. That was a real head wrecker, it took quite a while to track it down...

Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2882298
08/22/19 07:19 AM
08/22/19 07:19 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
My wife, who has listened to pop and classic rock since the 80s, can name any song (of that genre) in basically one or two notes. It’s quite remarkable. She doesn’t listen to our piano music, though, but I’m sure it would translate.

But then, she has a photographic memory and it was recognized and trained at a very young age. She visualizes things differently. She sees people with their names imprinted on their forehead in her mind. It’s a little scary....sometimes she’ll chat with people we come across, and they clearly have no idea who we are, nor do I know who they are. When we leave she’s say “oh, that’s so-and-so, we met them in 2004 at our sons preschool orientation, their daughter went to private school so we haven’t seen them since” or “that’s so-and-so’s cousin, we met at a wedding in NJ 15 years ago”. She can even tell you what they were wearing.

Anyway, it’s a different kind of memory. The more you hear the piece, the more familiar with it you are, the easier it becomes.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: cmb13] #2882325
08/22/19 08:51 AM
08/22/19 08:51 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline OP
Sibylle  Offline OP

Ireland
Originally Posted by cmb13
My wife, who has listened to pop and classic rock since the 80s, can name any song (of that genre) in basically one or two notes. It’s quite remarkable. She doesn’t listen to our piano music, though, but I’m sure it would translate.

But then, she has a photographic memory and it was recognized and trained at a very young age. She visualizes things differently. She sees people with their names imprinted on their forehead in her mind. It’s a little scary....sometimes she’ll chat with people we come across, and they clearly have no idea who we are, nor do I know who they are. When we leave she’s say “oh, that’s so-and-so, we met them in 2004 at our sons preschool orientation, their daughter went to private school so we haven’t seen them since” or “that’s so-and-so’s cousin, we met at a wedding in NJ 15 years ago”. She can even tell you what they were wearing.

Anyway, it’s a different kind of memory. The more you hear the piece, the more familiar with it you are, the easier it becomes.

D'you know what, I can name any pop- or rock song I know. It might take me a moment, but I always know the title and artist. It's classical music that eludes me for some strange reason. I probably have a separate "classical brain"!

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: Sibylle] #2882334
08/22/19 09:26 AM
08/22/19 09:26 AM
Essex, UK
W
WTM Offline
WTM  Offline
W

Essex, UK

D'you know what, I can name any pop- or rock song I know. It might take me a moment, but I always know the title and artist. It's classical music that eludes me for some strange reason. I probably have a separate "classical brain"!

I have no evidence to back this up, purely conjecture on my part. But I suspect it's something to do with associating words with melodies. It's easier to associate words with pop music because most of it has lyrics, and a lot of the time the main melody follows the lyrical line. So you can easily recall the name, whereas it's much harder to associate an opus number with a melody without lyrics.

Yamaha CLP685
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
Re: The feeling when you finally remember [Re: WTM] #2882527
08/22/19 07:37 PM
08/22/19 07:37 PM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by WTM

I have no evidence to back this up, purely conjecture on my part. But I suspect it's something to do with associating words with melodies. It's easier to associate words with pop music because most of it has lyrics, and a lot of the time the main melody follows the lyrical line. So you can easily recall the name, whereas it's much harder to associate an opus number with a melody without lyrics.

I think you're right. Anything with words (such as Schubert Lieder), I have no problem. Otherwise, my memory for identifying pieces is pretty pathetic, even if I know exactly how they go.

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hey! What if...? (another meta thread)
by malkin. 10/20/19 04:56 PM
MP7SE Additional sounds question
by varignet. 10/20/19 03:11 PM
Spartacus Love Theme by Grusin - Last version
by foster12. 10/20/19 02:47 PM
Your lie in April: helping or harming classical music?
by Ijustplaypiano. 10/20/19 01:33 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,634
Posts2,881,413
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission