2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sibylle Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I wrote about it before, when you have a piece in your head and you know it inside-out, but can't think what it is. It's agony when that happens! I don't know where the mental disconnect happens, but I hate it. It's like having it on the tip of my tongue and still not being able to remember.

Today it happened with a very particular 3rd movement of a concerto. Funnily I knew immediately it was the third movement, and went to Rachmaninov to start off with - nothing. The embarrassing truth was that it turned out to be - the big one, Tchaikowsky!!

I can't describe the blissful relief of remembering. Guess what's playing on Idagio now grin (and I don't listen to that one very often, it's so overplayed).

Why, brain? Why??

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
This happens to me all the time--worst when it's pieces you've played yourself and surely ought to know!

1989 Baldwin R
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sibylle

Today it happened with a very particular 3rd movement of a concerto. Funnily I knew immediately it was the third movement, and went to Rachmaninov to start off with - nothing. The embarrassing truth was that it turned out to be - the big one, Tchaikowsky!!

I often can't remember the source of tunes that are in some Romantic works, and have to work 'backwards' - first, which country the music comes from, then who the composer is: often the biggest hurdle - one Russian sounds much like another wink (whereas French, Spanish, Austro-German, Eastern European, American and even British composers - including those of the "cowpat" school smirk - sound quite unlike each other).

For instance, the main theme in the finale of this concerto (from 17:50) often foxed me when heard by itself: it sounds so familiar, yet I couldn't place it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biFJMwtZYE

My excuse of course is that it's rarely performed, so one rarely gets to hear it.......... whistle

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Happens to me all the time.

When I hear something on the radio, I try to guess what it is from just the first few notes. When I recognize it but can't remember the title or composer, it drives me crazy. When I guess wrong, it's even more aggravating.

Best regards,

Deborah
Originally Posted by bennevis
....the main theme in the finale of this concerto (from 17:50) often foxed me when heard by itself: it sounds so familiar, yet I couldn't place it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biFJMwtZYE

My excuse of course is that it's rarely performed, so one rarely gets to hear it.......... whistle

I'm mega impressed just that it's familiar to you!

BTW, it's the only part of the concerto that I would recognize for what it is!!

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I wrote about it before, when you have a piece in your head and you know it inside-out, but can't think what it is. It's agony when that happens! I don't know where the mental disconnect happens, but I hate it. It's like having it on the tip of my tongue and still not being able to remember.

I can't describe the blissful relief of remembering. Guess what's playing on Idagio now grin (and I don't listen to that one very often, it's so overplayed).

Why, brain? Why??

I used to know the answer.....

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I remember having a fairly long listening session to track down one of Schubert's Moment's Musicaux No.3.

Another time there was a passage from Beethoven's Choral Fantasy that I as background music in a video. It was only a couple of seconds. I knew that I had a recording, but had no idea past that. I wasn't even sure of the composer because the passage was so short. That was a real head wrecker, it took quite a while to track it down...

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
My wife, who has listened to pop and classic rock since the 80s, can name any song (of that genre) in basically one or two notes. It’s quite remarkable. She doesn’t listen to our piano music, though, but I’m sure it would translate.

But then, she has a photographic memory and it was recognized and trained at a very young age. She visualizes things differently. She sees people with their names imprinted on their forehead in her mind. It’s a little scary....sometimes she’ll chat with people we come across, and they clearly have no idea who we are, nor do I know who they are. When we leave she’s say “oh, that’s so-and-so, we met them in 2004 at our sons preschool orientation, their daughter went to private school so we haven’t seen them since” or “that’s so-and-so’s cousin, we met at a wedding in NJ 15 years ago”. She can even tell you what they were wearing.

Anyway, it’s a different kind of memory. The more you hear the piece, the more familiar with it you are, the easier it becomes.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Sibylle Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
My wife, who has listened to pop and classic rock since the 80s, can name any song (of that genre) in basically one or two notes. It’s quite remarkable. She doesn’t listen to our piano music, though, but I’m sure it would translate.

But then, she has a photographic memory and it was recognized and trained at a very young age. She visualizes things differently. She sees people with their names imprinted on their forehead in her mind. It’s a little scary....sometimes she’ll chat with people we come across, and they clearly have no idea who we are, nor do I know who they are. When we leave she’s say “oh, that’s so-and-so, we met them in 2004 at our sons preschool orientation, their daughter went to private school so we haven’t seen them since” or “that’s so-and-so’s cousin, we met at a wedding in NJ 15 years ago”. She can even tell you what they were wearing.

Anyway, it’s a different kind of memory. The more you hear the piece, the more familiar with it you are, the easier it becomes.

D'you know what, I can name any pop- or rock song I know. It might take me a moment, but I always know the title and artist. It's classical music that eludes me for some strange reason. I probably have a separate "classical brain"!

W
WTM Offline
W

D'you know what, I can name any pop- or rock song I know. It might take me a moment, but I always know the title and artist. It's classical music that eludes me for some strange reason. I probably have a separate "classical brain"!

I have no evidence to back this up, purely conjecture on my part. But I suspect it's something to do with associating words with melodies. It's easier to associate words with pop music because most of it has lyrics, and a lot of the time the main melody follows the lyrical line. So you can easily recall the name, whereas it's much harder to associate an opus number with a melody without lyrics.

Bechstein A114
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by WTM

I have no evidence to back this up, purely conjecture on my part. But I suspect it's something to do with associating words with melodies. It's easier to associate words with pop music because most of it has lyrics, and a lot of the time the main melody follows the lyrical line. So you can easily recall the name, whereas it's much harder to associate an opus number with a melody without lyrics.

I think you're right. Anything with words (such as Schubert Lieder), I have no problem. Otherwise, my memory for identifying pieces is pretty pathetic, even if I know exactly how they go.

1989 Baldwin R

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission