2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Teeter Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a Yamaha N3X hybrid but am confounded as to how to get the best deal. Since there’s only one authorized Yamaha dealer in town, they don’t seem particularly motivated to negotiate. It seems folks on this forum are paying around $15K, considerably less than I’ve been offered (not to mention the 9% sales tax I’ll have to pay.) Advice on this? Do I need to shop out of town and have one shipped? It doesn’t look like online retailers sell these. Do they? Can’t find any listings or published prices. Help?

Yamaha N3X
Kurzweil PC3
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Call around and ask if any non-local dealers will ship.

Otherwise just go into your local dealer and give them your asking price.

Yamaha sponsors a sale a couple of times a year including Christmas time. Worst case you can wait for that.

Also, check to see if Costco has a sponsored Yamaha event on your area.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Also, check to see if Costco has a sponsored Yamaha event on your area.

Costco is having a special event for 3 more days in Manchester and then again in about 9 days in St. Louis. If you call and find out what the price of the N3X will be at either event, that might make it worth the trek.

EDIT: It seems that the Costco price will be $14,999. If you do that, a 4% cash reward could be worth $600, making it worth getting a Costco credit card.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Okay, for starters, even $15,000 is grossly overpriced. Yes, you need to shop around even if it means driving out of your comfort zone.
For some perspective, I once got a quote of $7,500 for the N2 (taxes, delivery, etc.. included); another -bastard- dealer wanted $12,000 and that was because he had a “Fall to remember” sale going on. I later found out that the “sale” ran all year long: Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. laugh
He reiterated several times that the MSRP was $15,000 (this number is always inflated). So yes, prices will vary drastically between dealers. Do not pay $15,000 for this instrument!
Also, do not fall for the “we’ll give you full price if you decide to trade in”. They all offer this because it means nothing. Yes, they will give you full price for the trade-in, but kill you on the price for the new purchase.

J
J
I would definitely purchase your N3X from out of state. There are two main benefits from doing so: no sales tax and the ability to get the best price since there is more competition.

A good place to start is by looking on the “Digital Prices Paid” thread to see who offers the best deal. Call them to see if they will match it. You can also look at prices paid for the N1X, because if they offer good prices for that model it’s likely they will for the N3X as well.

Good luck, it’s a great instrument!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree with Pete: Even $15,000 is grossly overpriced.

And with Gombessa: Just go into your local dealer and give them your asking price.
Negotiation begins with YOUR offer, not with the dealer's asking price.

Teeter: You said "Since there’s only one authorized Yamaha dealer in town, they don’t seem particularly motivated to negotiate."
Forgive me for saying ... but that is wrong-think.

Another dealer is not the competition. YOU are the competition.
The lack of another dealer is not a lack of competition. YOU are the competition.
The dealer is competing for your money. Never forget that.

The dealer wants your money more than you want his piano. Never forget that.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Try Keyboard Concepts in Van Nuys. Ask for Dennis Hagerty, the owner, and tell him I recommended you call.

The N3X is the closest to a quality grand in an electronic keyboard I have ever played. And I actually hate having to play electronic keyboards.

I would also recommend the N1X.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 08/21/19 07:46 PM.
T
Teeter Offline OP
OP Offline
T
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the great feedback.

Also, those of you saying $15K is grossly overpriced, what would you consider a fair price for an instrument with a list price of $22,199?

Last edited by Teeter; 08/21/19 10:07 PM.

Yamaha N3X
Kurzweil PC3
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
It's really not that overpriced, I'm not sure how these guys are coming to that conclusion. Some have gotten it lower, but the reality is that not every retailer will accept the lowest price anyone has ever gotten on an instrument. The N3X is still "new" as far as the AG series goes, and $14.9k is the Yamaha-sponsored sales price just a couple of years ago. If you can get it lower than that, you're doing pretty well.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
+1

I think the price is very fair. The N3X is a beautiful piano!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Teeter
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the great feedback.

Also, those of you saying $15K is grossly overpriced, what would you consider a fair price for an instrument with a list price of $22,199?

Perspective #2: the dealer that quoted $7,500 for an N2 (50% off MSRP) is still in business; the other ($12,000 quote) is not. This tells me that selling for “50% off” the MSRP can still yield a profit for “some” dealers under certain circumstances.
Of course, this doesn’t necessarily mean that he was selling everything for “half” the price (I didn’t ask about other instruments), but it should give you a picture as to the vast discrepancies in prices between dealers when it comes to these “hybrid” instruments.
You say that the MSRP for the N3X is $22,199, so 50% off of that would be $11,099.50. Perhaps you should offer $12,000; however, if you can absorb a slightly higher price, considering your circumstances, negotiate something between 12/13K. You have to be firm in terms of the ‘highest price’ you’re willing to pay. If the dealer senses you’re bluffing, he won’t give in. Be willing to walk away and have him ‘call you back’ if he initially does not accept your offer. This is just my approach/experience/advice; others here have differing opinions/tactics.
Personally, I would offer $11K and depending on specifics, I might go up to 12K max.

I think Pete14 has nailed it. In the Prices Paid thread the average selling price for the N3 was around $12000. The N3X is basically the same piano.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Mac, I’m also with you on the notion that the N3X is essentially the same instrument as the N3 with some added functionality and so-called improved samples with a dash of physical modeling.
I would go for a used N3 and simply use VSTs to improve on the sound (assuming it’s not that great).
By the way, CG claims that the ‘N3 was the best digital he’d ever played’, and he currently owns the N1X. This tells me that the strongest feature in the N3/X has to do more with the speakers. I believe there’s like 12 of them speakers on these beasts. smile

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The N2 is a 10 years old outgoing model. The N3X is barely 2 years old and essentially a new model. It's not uncommon for old models to be sold at reduced prices that you simply cannot find when newer. It's the same with cars, computers, and most everything else with a periodic refresh. It holds for the N1X as well--you could find an N1 for <6k near end of life, but N1Xs today go for 7-9k, for "essentially the same piano," at least BOM-wise. What may want to consider are are dealer rebates, changes in dealer pricing, minimum sale price contracts (look at that Cunningham N1X thread from earlier), etc., Even just plain old long term anticipated demand.

Want a new N3X for $11k (the firesale price of the N3 after the N3X came out)? Kudos if you can get it, but I think you will be waiting half a decade before that becomes the going rate.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
V
V
Originally Posted by Gombessa
It's really not that overpriced, I'm not sure how these guys are coming to that conclusion. Some have gotten it lower, but the reality is that not every retailer will accept the lowest price anyone has ever gotten on an instrument. The N3X is still "new" as far as the AG series goes, and $14.9k is the Yamaha-sponsored sales price just a couple of years ago. If you can get it lower than that, you're doing pretty well.
Want a new N3X for $11k (the firesale price of the N3 after the N3X came out)? Kudos if you can get it, but I think you will be waiting half a decade before that becomes the going rate.

^^^ Agree with all of what Gombessa says. I bought my N3X for $13,999, but it was sold to me as a "demo" model because Yamaha had used it at a community event once. (I did get a full warranty on it.) To date I have yet to find a deal better than mine for a "new" N3X, but again, it was a demo. I would have happily paid $14,999 for a brand-new, non-demo model if that is all that was available... it's that good.

Feel free to shop around, but don't fret about the price TOO much... because you are getting what you pay for (in a good way). Keep us posted and good luck!

Last edited by vara411; 08/22/19 10:54 AM.

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
Yamaha MOX8
Roland FP-10
T
Teeter Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok, it’s been quite a day. Local dealer’s first offer was over $17K (plus 9% tax and another $200 for delivery.) I tried not to laugh or feel insulted. He eventually came down to $15K, which still puts the deal at $16.5K delivered. Then my brother-in-law hooked me up with an out of state dealer who had two “open box” N3X’s. New, full warranty, $13K delivered (no sales tax.) Deal done. Thanks for your help! 💪🏻

Yamaha N3X
Kurzweil PC3
H
H
Wow, that is a very good price. Do you mind sharing who the dealer is? Maybe I could get that second one.

J
J
Originally Posted by Teeter
Ok, it’s been quite a day. Local dealer’s first offer was over $17K (plus 9% tax and another $200 for delivery.) I tried not to laugh or feel insulted. He eventually came down to $15K, which still puts the deal at $16.5K delivered. Then my brother-in-law hooked me up with an out of state dealer who had two “open box” N3X’s. New, full warranty, $13K delivered (no sales tax.) Deal done. Thanks for your help! 💪🏻

Awesome deal! Well done!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Great job! $13k delivered for an open box is a great deal indeed. Enjoy the piano!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
For future buyers: “open box” simply means that the dealer took the N3X out of the box (literally). The piano is in every sense new, but the dealer needs an ‘excuse’ in order to justify the much lower price. He doesn’t want to spread rumors that he’s selling the N3X for a lot less than the rest.
Lesson to be learned: if the dealer won’t budge, simply wink at him and ask “but do you have an open box?” laugh
I wonder if Yamaha is encouraging dealers for the “open box” approach.
Seriously though, congrats on the new “open box” piano. I’m relieved you didn’t pay that ridiculous amount. I would’ve had a heart attack if you’d gone with deal #1. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission