2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
In my opinion most digital actions are too light. I like the vpc1, i don't even think it's really heavy.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chopin Acolyte
I was worried about the pedals, too. Someone else mentioned "an awful pedal unit", I have no clue what they're talking about. I have the F-30 pedal unit it came with by default and it's great. The pedals are springy, and somewhat lighter than a real piano pedals, and only the sustain is continuous, but I think it's very good, no trouble going back and forth between acoustic and VPC.

Some of the pedals go wonky over time. John O'Flaherty has a permanant fix if you run into problems. . .

http://joflaherty.org/HallEffectSustain/VPC1%20pedal%20mod.pdf

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Bobby Simons
Fortunately I don't look at it from that perspective. Problem solved. cool
Personally, I could see owning both (515 and VPC-1). I've got room for one more.

[Linked Image]

Holy Moly!
Do you live at Guitar Center? laugh

A
A
Hey, only VPC lovers here ;))
Where are all the VPC haters I've discussed with half a year ago? (VPC2 wish list)

I like the VPC too because of its timeless look and feel. No knobs, faders, sounds, speakers that could be outdated or inoperable.
No cheap plastic. Only metal and woods.

The keys are great. The best grand piano feel for a piano/ controller of that size. Super in dynamic and response -makes fun to play on day and night wink

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
OP Offline
Again, thank you all for your inputs on the VPC1 and suitable alternatives, it's great to be reassured by so many positive experiences.

I'll share my setup once I have the keyboard delivered. The plan is to sit it on an IKEA Bekant desk base of 140x60 and use the extra real estate in the back for cable management and aesthetic value.

Currently: Kawai VPC1 + NI Noire / Keyscape

Previously: Yamaha DGX630, Yamaha P45, Studiologic SL990 Pro, Kawai ES110
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Would somebody like to chip in with RM3 v GF Compact? I noticed physically they occupy the same internal space, but the lengthened pivot would re-distribute (increase) component stress elsewhere, imo . . . .maybe this needs to be a new thread.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
VPC opinions:
1. Great idea.
2. Ugly finish. Nice enclosure, but ugly finish.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Chopin is up there
Again, thank you all for your inputs on the VPC1 and suitable alternatives, it's great to be reassured by so many positive experiences.

I'll share my setup once I have the keyboard delivered. The plan is to sit it on an IKEA Bekant desk base of 140x60 and use the extra real estate in the back for cable management and aesthetic value.

I think you are going to really like it. Have you chosen a software package yet?

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Chopin Acolyte
If I might chime in... I recently finished my VPC project and VPC has the action that is closest to what I'm used to from acoustic pianos, from what I've tried, including Yamaha P-515.

I recently played on a practice Steinway grand and I realized I still prefer my VPC-1, because the grand wasn't regulated recently, and I could hear weird buzzing from the inside. In other words, as far as I can tell, an acoustic piano can beat my VPC-1 setup only if it's a well regulated grand piano. So nowadays I have very little motivation to crawl out of my house since the only piano that kinda satisfies this condition is one of the practice grands at the music school and is usually booked (and is played pretty heavily throughout the day, so it's not uncommon that something's wrong with it - a few weeks ago, the soft pedal wasn't working, just a few days ago one B flat was out of tune etc. - these things happen when an instrument is played for several hours daily).

VPC-1 feels the best and closest (in terms of action) than any sub-$2000 keybed I've tried. Be wary though, it's pretty heavy (feels less heavy after playing on it for a few days) - gives you a great workout. Also, count some software (Ravenscroft, Pianoteq, Garritan, VSL, ...) and headphones/speakers into your budget. If the VPC costs ~ 1200 eur, I say, go for it!

EDIT: I was worried about the pedals, too. Someone else mentioned "an awful pedal unit", I have no clue what they're talking about. I have the F-30 pedal unit it came with by default and it's great. The pedals are springy, and somewhat lighter than a real piano pedals, and only the sustain is continuous, but I think it's very good, no trouble going back and forth between acoustic and VPC.

I guess I could have saved you the aggravation and recommended a VPC-1 to begin with. wink

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I like the VPC1 action very much. I am only about an RCM Level 3 player, so, I may not have yet even discovered all it has to offer. But, I do remember vividly being astounded by how much control it gave me over my faithful Casio Privia. As for the weight of the keys, I am convinced that is exactly what supplied the enhanced control. Also, I frequently get to play some quality acoustics (Steinway D, Kawai RX2) and the difference in feel is negligible to me.

As for the Yamaha P-515, I like it also. I have been playing it at the local Sam Ash store recently, as, I was seriously considering it as a substitute for my VPC1/Pianoteq combination. I did not think the P-515 action to be noticeably less than the VPC1 action. I am presently trying out a new virtual piano to replace Pianoteq, so, plans to buy the P-515 are currently on hold. If I cannot find happiness with this virtual piano, there will soon be a P-515 in my home.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I forgot to mention that I also like the F-30 pedal unit. I've had no problems with it and it seems sufficiently sturdy so far.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Online Content
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Ugly finish.

???

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Mac.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Exactly. And I stated just what my eye beheld.
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Ugly finish.

It's too bad that the local dealer could not demo the VPC. It just sat on its stand, not connected to any controller, muted and unplayable.

That was at a piano store specializing in Kawai acoustic pianos, but also carrying a surprisingly wide range of Kawai digitals.
It seems to me that the VPC ought to be sold at a music store like Sam Ash where it is their habit to have things "plugged in" for demo, rather than at a piano dealer where a power cord is the limit of plugging in.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Exactly. And I stated just what my eye beheld.
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Ugly finish.

It's too bad that the local dealer could not demo the VPC. It just sat on its stand, not connected to any controller, muted and unplayable.

That was at a piano store specializing in Kawai acoustic pianos, but also carrying a surprisingly wide range of Kawai digitals.
It seems to me that the VPC ought to be sold at a music store like Sam Ash where it is their habit to have things "plugged in" for demo, rather than at a piano dealer where a power cord is the limit of plugging in.

When I tested the VPC1, it was not at a Sam Ash. To make it do something, I brought an iPad w/ Ravencroft 275 on it, a cable and headphones. I know that is more than 99% of people who would have seen it muted and unplayable.

BTW, the store had to go hunt for the pedal in the back since they hadn't bothered having it on display given that no one ever got to the point of needing the pedals!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Every time I’ve seen a VPC1 it was not connected either frown And the keyboard is nothing to rave about, it feels exactly like my CA63 which was underwhelming but it seems there are some under the hood changes that should make it more playable such as triple sensors.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Every time I’ve seen a VPC1 it was not connected either frown And the keyboard is nothing to rave about, it feels exactly like my CA63 which was underwhelming but it seems there are some under the hood changes that should make it more playable such as triple sensors.

I went to the trouble of trying it out in the store, and might have set a store record doing it laugh but I needn't have bothered. The keyboard felt too heavy for me.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Jethro #2882262 08/22/19 03:36 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jethro

I think you are going to really like it. Have you chosen a software package yet?

I have a few libraries already from my previous MIDI keyboard (a Studiologic SL990 Pro that despite its wonky MIDI implementation, felt pretty good and was reliable as a tank) such as The Giant and Grandeur, as well as some others that I don't recall since it was some years back, and have added two since in preparation: Keyscape and Noire (this last one is my favorite).

What about you?

Currently: Kawai VPC1 + NI Noire / Keyscape

Previously: Yamaha DGX630, Yamaha P45, Studiologic SL990 Pro, Kawai ES110
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro

I have a few libraries already from my previous MIDI keyboard (a Studiologic SL990 Pro that despite its wonky MIDI implementation, felt pretty good and was reliable as a tank) such as The Giant and Grandeur, as well as some others that I don't recall since it was some years back, and have added two since in preparation: Keyscape and Noire (this last one is my favorite).

What about you?

For pure responsiveness/expressiveness (and when you are working on something new or just practicing), you might consider Pianoteq with one VI. Then you could switch to one of the sampled pianos for performances and recordings. This is assuming you can handle Pianoteq for practicing at least.

[Linked Image]

Could you please elaborate? I’ve never seen one in the flesh, but it always looks beautiful to me in photos.

VPC opinions:
1. Great idea.
2. Ugly finish. Nice enclosure, but ugly finish.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I thought mine looked great - way nicer than the usual look of DP's with buttons, sliders etc spread around.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission