2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Stephen Hough plays Chopin's Nocturne in E-Flat Major, op. 9, no. 2, at the BBC Proms:

The piano has quite a history:

https://www.rct.uk/collection/2426/grand-piano

A short documentary:

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
S
S
Thank you so much for posting. I have seen the latter video posted previously, but the former was all new to me. I enjoyed them both today :-)

I have never heard an Érard in person. I would be interested to experience how the straight strung instrument differs from the modern piano live. It is anyway great to see such a treasure being experienced by a larger audience. I would not have liked to be the piano mover though.

Here is some more info about the restoration process:
https://www.rct.uk/collection/conservation/conserving-the-erard-piano

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
S
S
I was at the performance.

That piano has not aged any better than Queen Victoria.

Weak dynamics, almost absent lower registers with an overall tinny sound. Not at all suited for a venue the size of Albert Hall.

Last edited by sfhombre; 08/21/19 04:36 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by sfhombre

ha

August Förster 190
Kawai CA 98
Kawai MP7SE
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by sfhombre
I was at the performance.

Weak dynamics, almost absent lower registers with an overall tinny sound. Not at all suited for a venue the size of Albert Hall.

I respect your opinion sfhombre. It appears that Hough played the Mendelssohn Scottish concerto. I think the slow movement should have worked marvelously. This was a huge experiment. Wasn't this the very first time this piano was used outside of the palace? Ever?

I would think it best to suspend our 21st century taste and listen to what was arguably the finest piano technology of the 1850's in the Erard, at least from an action point of view. After all, Albert played piano quite competently and wrote music as well. He must have gone beyond British borders for a reason to choose this piano. At that time, Erard was a fine choice.

But it is not a modern concert grand like we are now used to hearing in a space like Albert Hall.

At any rate, the encore was beautifully performed and the concept was wonderful as well.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
S
I thought Hough was marvelous, and had I done proper research about the piano I would have expected what I heard.

But I didn't (my bad) and as a result I visibly winced when the first notes were played.

Granted the Erard may have been "state of the art" in Albert's day but for me, using it at the Hall I think was a bit of a gimmick.

In a small venue I'm sure I would have enjoyed it far more.

P.S. I thought the encore was fabulously played too.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Rich:
The Erard was purchased on the advice of Albert's friend, Felix Mendelssohn.
Bye the way, my teacher, Marcel Dupre, had a large Erard from the '90s that I played quite a lot. Compared to a "modern" piano, one would need an ear-trumpet to hear it. BUT, it had many, many fine qualities, not least of which was a fabulous action that had a slightly lower key-dip. One could play the glissando in the Waldstein sonata without risk of bodily harm. I'm sure I don't have to mention that it seemed ideal for Chopin. Erards have a very dark, soulful sound that suits Chopin, especially anything in a minor key .
Karl

Last edited by Karl Watson; 08/21/19 07:24 AM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The melody carries well in the recording. For 1850, this was an excellent piano. The fact that it remains eminently playable is wonderful. And no, it is not a better overall piano than a properly done modern scale for a recital in a large hall.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Rich:
[...]

Online sources date this piano from 1856; that was the year it was purchased by Queen Victoria. Mendelssohn died in 1847. How was this piano then recommended to Prince Albert by Mendelssohn?

As one of the videos (above Marsden, of the Royal Collection Trust) points out, Mendelssohn could not have played this piano unless sources are wrong and the piano predates the indicated date by ten years.

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 08/21/19 11:27 AM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Rich:
[...]

Online sources date this piano from 1856; that was the year it was purchased by Queen Victoria. Mendelssohn died in 1847. How was this piano then recommended to Prince Albert by Mendelssohn?

As one of the videos (above Marsden, of the Royal Collection Trust) points out, Mendelssohn could not have played this piano unless sources are wrong and the piano predates the indicated date by ten years.

Regards,

Vicky and Bertie had other pianos. 😁 Prince Albert must have taken his time shopping for his next Erard.

This piano sounds like it has a "dead soundboard" to me. I wonder if it's tone carried better when new (like that modern straight-strung piano that Barenboim sometimes plays)? It reminds me a lot of one of Liszt's pianos:

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission