2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
I’ve read that this Presonus has big midi latency. Does that interests me with Pianoteq usage? As far as I understand it I will still have to connect piano to directly to computer so there will be no midi signal coming through audio interface in that case?

Roland LX708
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Please can you guide me what do I need to connect this all? As I can see Presonus Audiobox has midi in and 2 audio jacks out ports. That means I must buy midi cable and converter for those R/L channels to one and converter to minijack port on CA98?

Roland LX708
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Presonus does not have big latency. Only the PC can produce significant latency.
I have a Presonus. I get 2 msec latency.

As for the connections ...
You said "I must buy midi cable and converter for those R/L channels to one and converter to minijack port on CA98?"

In a word ... NO.
Most modern pianos (including your CA98) have a USB-to-host connection. So you don't need to use the old-school MIDI jacks for a MIDI connection.
Instead use a USB-A to USB-B cable. That's basically your standard printer cable.
Plug one end into the piano's USB-to-host port, and the other end into the PC's USB port.
Whatever you play on the piano will then be available to any suitable software on the PC. You'll just need to configure that software, telling it to use the Kawai MIDI input.
(Notice that the Presonus is not involved in this at all.)

You'll also want to tell the piano software to use the Presonus audio system instead of the PC/Windows default.
Plug the Presonus box into the PC using a standard USB cable. (I think the Presonus box comes with the necessary cable?)

On the PC ... in your piano software's audio settings, choose ASIO mode and Presonus audio.
(The details vary among the various piano software packages.)

Plug the Presonus audio output ports into a sound system.
Those ports are probably 1/4" phone plugs.
You'll need appropriate cables and adapters to suit the connections available on your sound system.

You could use the CA98 as your sound system. I presume it has aux in (or line in) jacks?
If so ... plug the Presonus audio outputs into the piano inputs.

Note: When using the PC to produce piano sounds you'll want to silence the CA98's sound.
Do that by setting LOCAL CONTROL to "OFF". Check the manual to find out how.

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks I've been already using CA98 with Pianoteq so I'm not totally green. But with audio interface I wanted to reduce cables. That's why I wanted to plug midi and audio cables(for sound output on CA98) between CA98 and Presonus and then one usb cable from Presonus to PC. Would that work?
As for latency if I'll end up with latency similar to what I have now(1.3 ms) then I will be very happy.

Roland LX708
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Ok I've bought this Presonus Audiobox 96 and it seems that the problem is still there so now I'm 90% sure it's CA98 problem frown I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna keep this audio interface in that case. Gonna test further. And I'm gonna get CA98 replacement tomorrow for other reasons so I'll check if the problem is the same there. Anyway latency didn't change at all so I consider it a plus. All went well and audio interface is working ok.

Roland LX708
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Ok I've bought this Presonus Audiobox 96 and it seems that the problem is still there so now I'm 90% sure it's CA98 problem frown I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna keep this audio interface in that case. Gonna test further.

Have you tried recording the hissing and sending the recording to Kawai Tech Support?

And I'm gonna get CA98 replacement tomorrow for other reasons so I'll check if the problem is the same there. Anyway latency didn't change at all so I consider it a plus. All went well and audio interface is working ok.

Replacement? Egads! You aren't have any luck with pianos, are you starting from Christmas last year!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Ok I've bought this Presonus Audiobox 96 and it seems that the problem is still there so now I'm 90% sure it's CA98 problem frown I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna keep this audio interface in that case. Gonna test further.

Have you tried recording the hissing and sending the recording to Kawai Tech Support?

Not yet,I might. but considering how "fast" they work on problems I don't even have strengh to do this.

And I'm gonna get CA98 replacement tomorrow for other reasons so I'll check if the problem is the same there. Anyway latency didn't change at all so I consider it a plus. All went well and audio interface is working ok.

Replacement? Egads! You aren't have any luck with pianos, are you starting from Christmas last year!

Yeah. I just wanted my keyboard regulated and Kawai was "thinking" for over 2 months about that. They exceeded their own time limit so my technician proposed whole instrument replacement which they agreed too.

Roland LX708
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Not yet,I might. but considering how "fast" they work on problems I don't even have strengh to do this.

For comparison purposes, you might want to make at least a cellphone recording before your current piano disappears. Then you can compare it with the replacement to see if there is any change at all, no matter how slight.

Yeah. I just wanted my keyboard regulated and Kawai was "thinking" for over 2 months about that. They exceeded their own time limit so my technician proposed whole instrument replacement which they agreed too.

The piano manufacturers give you the fastest service don't they? Remind me not to stand too close to you in case it's contagious! wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Don't worry, TS. You're under the Yamaha umbrella. (I am too ... for now.)

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Ok I didn't expect that but after I got my new CA98 the problem is basicaly gone... There is small hiss when I get closer to top speakers but it's almost unnoticable during normal usage. Soooo I've wasted a lot of time and money because of faulty piano. I can probably return audio interface at least.

Roland LX708
Glad to hear that replacement CA98 resolved the issue, and that you received good support from your dealer. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Glad to hear that replacement CA98 resolved the issue, and that you received good support from your dealer. wink

James
x

Dissapointing it took such a long time(like I said in another topic) and I did not expect replacement to fix that particular issue but obviously that's a good thing in the end.

Roland LX708
Yes, the important point is that this matter has been resolved.

Kind regards,
James
x

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yes, the important point is that this matter has been resolved.

Kind regards,
James
x

James, I don't mean to be rude but I wonder if you have this zen attitude when something that you buy and account on takes a long time to be fixed when still under warranty.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Originally Posted by EVC2017
James, I don't mean to be rude but I wonder if you have this zen attitude when something that you buy and account on takes a long time to be fixed when still under warranty.

Please allow me to answer that question with a little story, which may or may not be true.

A few years ago I bought a new road bike. After a couple of weeks, I noticed a minor clicking sound would sometimes occur when changing into a specific gear, which was a little different to the rest of the gears. That gear still rode perfectly fine, and when cycling normally it was almost impossible to hear or feel any problems. However, I told the bike dealer who said he would raise it with the manufacturer.

A few months later, I heard back from the dealer - he told me that the manufacturer had sent a brand new bike as a replacement. Wow!

Suffice it to say, I was delighted with the support provided by the dealer and the manufacturer.

Kind regards,
James
x

N
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

A few years ago I bought a new road bike. After a couple of weeks, I noticed a minor clicking sound would sometimes occur when changing into a specific gear, which was a little different to the rest of the gears. That gear still rode perfectly fine, and when cycling normally it was almost impossible to hear or feel any problems. However, I told the bike dealer who said he would raise it with the manufacturer.

x

Except strange sound in gear shift might be a bad assembly and may cause bigger problems and even accident wink
Anyway in instruments sound problems are SLIGHTLY more important than in "bike".

Roland LX708
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission