2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Abdol Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
What is the best and the cheapest hydraulic bench for piano and where can I get it in Canada?

Thank you!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The Andexinger lift-o-matic is a very good one and comes at a good price. Order it from Thomann.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Abdol
the best and the cheapest

So you are asking for two different models? wink

Like a K&M model and a Gewa model...

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JoBert
The Andexinger lift-o-matic is a very good one and comes at a good price. Order it from Thomann.

+1 on the Andexinger.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
L
L
+ 1 on the Andexinger

Originally Posted by JoBert

+1

Steinway B-211 - Kawai Novus
A
Abdol Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks. I can't buy Andexinger lift-o-matic from a local store here in Canada. Need to pay the shipping fees plus a significant all kinds of tax fees. Is there any other alternatives?

Last edited by Abdol; 08/19/19 01:34 PM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Yep, with Thomann it ships from the EU so you've got to deal with that (and it's a HEAVY bench, too).

I recall finding a local US seller for the 484 shortly after I bought mine from Thomann, but the price wasn't actually much different in the end.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol
Thanks. I can't buy Andexinger lift-o-matic from a local store here in Canada. Need to pay the shipping fees plus a significant all kinds of tax fees. Is there any other alternatives?

That’s up to you, of course. But you should know there have been several people here on PW who bought it from Thomann to the US without problems. So if you don’t find an alternative, you may want to consider it anyway.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Why a hydraulic? Wouldn't a knob-adjustable unit do just fine?

Also ... why an adjustable? Is a standard bench not the right height?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

This comment question makes me think of something.

I've read that the optimal height for classical piano is so that when your arms are hanging down your sides with your fingers on the piano keys and your elbows near your sides, that the lower surface of your elbow at the bend is 0.5 cm below the top of the keys.

I've always assumed that since people come in different shapes and sizes, this means an adjustable bench is required in order to attain the optimal bench height for the above.

But perhaps we are a bit more standard than I think and makers of standard benches know that? Do standard benches allow you to position yourself in the manner above for most people? I do know a standard bench doesn't do it for me, but perhaps I'm in an off size?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
But perhaps we are a bit more standard than I think and makers of standard benches know that?

Some people live in households with more than one player. And if those include children, you're bound to fall outside a one-size-fits-all mold.

A pneumatic mechanism is convenient and more or less instant to adjust, like any office chair most of use use everyday. Just lift or drop to the height you want. To me, knobs are so cumbersome and slow, especially if you're adjusting it every day.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

I'm looking at one MacMacMac. Doesn't have to be hydraulic but that would be nice. I have back issues and sometimes I need to have it at a higher height.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
A
Abdol Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
This is what I have at the moment:

[Linked Image]

This is not really easy to assemble and disassemble. After some usage, the internal pressure on the interior plastic parts has caused some deformation and it is hard to adjust or take the top attachment apart.

It is also making a lot of noise when I move my butt while playing my keyboards.

I just realized that it is actually better to get a hydraulic stool instead of a bench as I don't have any difficulty reaching out to the left or right part of my keyboards set up. So I think something like this:

[Linked Image]

Would serve the purpose and it's 1/3 price!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

FWIW - when I was building a stand for my digital piano I visited several stores to measure the height of pianos from the floor to the key tops. They mostly fell within the range of 28-29 inches but there were some extremes up around 30 inches and down to around 27 inches in height.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
A
Abdol Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A

MP7SE sits on the stand higher than other ordinary DPs. So a standard seat hight is not an option. For my set up:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fcf8snh1a18Uj-oBzdr-pqZcCZVhHxT-/

I couldn't use a standard height piano bench with my stand (Quiklok Z-726L). A bar stool or chair stays too high and I cannot play. The only option is to get an adjustable seat that I can adjust the height to my stand.

M
M

Sorry MacMwcMac, but I do even understand how someone playing the piano ask another pianist why he needs adjustable bench!?. Adjustable bench in the only proper one for the pianist, period .

@Abdol,
Do you really need hydraulic bench? I mean, I was always unhappy on when had to sit on the , as the regulation is not so precise as on the knob bench, but I know many fans of hydraulic benches as well so it's matter of preference.

Also if you change the height often, this is definitely better, as adjusting knob can be annoying sometimes

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
for a fixed, standard bench/stool height to be the proper height for every adult, here's a partial list of the factors which would need to be constant for all combinations of instrument and player (and which clearly won't be) - - height of the key tops from the floor, distance from the bottom of the player's seated posterior to his/her shoulder/collarbone joint, lengths of the long bones in arms. even then of course some will prefer their elbow height to be a little lower (g.gould famous for requiring a low seat) or higher.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Proper bench height is sometimes of extreme importance. I remember how I used to sit at a certain height for ages until very recently. In a totally unrelated thread I posted my struggles with the Khachaturian’s Toccata complex rhythm and Ando suggested I may have to change the bench height, something I haven’t even considered as important. So I lowered it to its lowest possible position which in fact isn’t too low but yet was much lower than I was used to and voila! shocked It really helped me so much with forearm stability and control, hence speed. It’s one of the most significant improvements I have experienced in my piano adventure. I don’t think you should underestimate the bench height adjustment and experimentation. And I’m nobody but there are examples such as the divine Evgeni Bozhanov who, at the suggestion of his professor, lowered his bench to an extremely low position (he’s famous for that, as is Glenn Gould) and in his own words that allowed him to play very expressively.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Consider a "drum throne" . Any music shop that sells drums will have some. They are available with hydraulic lifts. Some have backrests.

I attached a Roc'n'Soc seat to an hydraulic office-chair rolling base. It works well, for me.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission