2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Can any software recognize and name the correct harmony in any given chord you input ? ( as shown in the picture ) I use Finale as a notation software but it doesn't seem to have that option. Looking to use this feature a lot with my students.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/9FNhUSE[/img]

E
E
Well, in the picture, the first 2 should be Ab over Eb...

E
E
Oh, and the 3rd should be G minor.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Finale does have that option. I don't use it much, but it's there.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Eric, I doubt the Chords in the picture are incorrectly named as they were taken from a jazz pianist' channel, but I have added a picture which may help explain the discrepancy

[img]https://imgur.com/a/1cGK6eA[/img]

Comment refers to a different arrangement but still applies.

Originally Posted by EDV
Eric, I doubt the Chords in the picture are incorrectly named as they were taken from a jazz pianist' channel, but I have added a picture which may help explain the discrepancy

Comment refers to a different arrangement but still applies.

This doesn't make sense. In the original, m. 1 has a suspended F from the previous measure, and half through beat 1 in the bass we have an Eb which continues. The RH repeated chord has Ab C Eb. That is without a doubt a major Ab triad, i.e. "Ab chord". With the Eb in the bass, it is Ab/Eb as Eric says. Eric is right. Your notation says Bb7sus9, then Bb7b9 for the first measure. Bb7 = Bb, D, F Ab. There's an F. No Bb, no D ..... where do you see the Bb7?

The third marked chord has G Bb D in the RH, G and Bb in theLH. As Eric said, that gives us a Gm ... maybe Gm /Bb if you count the dip to the Bb.
The chords are named incorrectly. Did the jazz pianist write in those names (Bb7sus9) etc? Your newer link shows a different style of font for the letter names.

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
The jazz pianist ( former teacher himself - 49K followers ) came up with that arrangement, but he used certain software to label the chords. In the second image posted, he just changed the font I think. It's still his arrangement, his tutorial. To be honest I never paid much attention to the chord symbols he adds on top of the notes ( he goes into great depth in some of his tutorials ) , I'm busy enough trying to play his music

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Another example

[img]https://imgur.com/a/NJ1le9L[/img]

Tried to get Finale to label the chords in this manner to no avail.

Last edited by EDV; 07/21/19 05:08 PM.
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Still waiting on someone to point me in the right direction. The feature I mentioned is found in Finale but it's very limited. I want to be able to clearly label chords I input , as in the examples

Originally Posted by EDV
Still waiting on someone to point me in the right direction. The feature I mentioned is found in Finale but it's very limited. I want to be able to clearly label chords I input , as in the examples

I don't know if anyone is having similar thoughts to mine.

You wrote that you are teaching students, using these symbols. You gave us an example where you did not notice that the chords were wrong, which I guess can happen. But then when Eric told you the chords were wrong and what they should be, you dismissed it, on the basis that a jazz pianist had written them in ..... apparently without checking them yourself. To my further clarification of why those chords were wrong, you simply wrote that you had not looked at those chord symbols. All of this together makes me uneasy for a number of reasons.

Morodiene stated that Finale has the option. I have the full version of Finale and saw the option as well. I don't use it - actually I should spend more time getting more familiar with Finale. I'd think that there is a tutorial in Finale for this.

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
AAh.. yes, I should have checked those chords myself. But to clarify... I said I am "looking to use this feature with my students" ... meaning I haven't used it before ( to this extent ). Labeling chords in this manner is something I am relatively inexperienced with, as I rely heavily on my good ear and other skills. Now, I am still surprised if the chords were indeed incorrectly labelled as this jazz pianist / teacher is the closest thing I have to a jazz mentor, and his tutorials are usually inspiring and thorough. The only way I can see he got those chords wrong is if he let the software label them for him, and then forgot to check them. Assuming this happened, that means whatever software he is using is unreliable and the same thing could happen to me if I did use it. It will take a lot now to persuade me Finale or any other software can do this task for you.

E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
One more thing I'd like to add is what the jazz pianist himself said in a different tutorial:

"It is possible to name a chord in several different ways"

Maybe that's what he did in the other example ?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by EDV
Can any software recognize and name the correct harmony in any given chord you input ? ( as shown in the picture ) I use Finale as a notation software but it doesn't seem to have that option. Looking to use this feature a lot with my students.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/9FNhUSE[/img]

Something is not right, either the score or the labels. The first chord consists of F-Ab-C-Eb which is Fm7 in root position. When the bass moves from the F to Eb the chord becomes Ab (major) in 2nd inversion.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EDV
One more thing I'd like to add is what the jazz pianist himself said in a different tutorial:

"It is possible to name a chord in several different ways"

Maybe that's what he did in the other example ?

There is no way of naming chords that would make these labels correct.

The wrong labeling of the chords was addressed almost a month ago, and the OP has also looked into this some more since. It's all in the discussion. wink

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I read the whole thread before posting. I thought it might be helpful to the OP to have a couple of correct chord names so that the behavior of the software could be verified correctly once an attempted fix was implemented.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
The wrong labeling of the chords was addressed almost a month ago, and the OP has also looked into this some more since. It's all in the discussion. wink

I replied to the OP's last post on the topic.

J
J
I have an app called 'Chordie', from chordieapp.com that names chords played on a midi keyboard. It seems to work pretty well, offering several different names (sometimes five or six) for more complex chords. If you have the feature turned on, it also shows the chords on a guitar neck, but I don't use that. It ran $25.
It shows Fmin7 for the first chord, becoming Ab/Eb when the low F moves down, and Gmin for the chords you have in red.
FWIW.

Last edited by joflah; 08/25/19 11:35 PM.

Jack

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission