2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Let's say you have 2 keyboards - Keyboard A has 88 keys plus "USB-to-Computer" and Keyboard B (an arranger) has 61 keys, and both "USB-to-Computer" plus "traditional" MIDI ports.

1. Can the two keyboards be configured so that you play on Keyboard A and still use all of the arranger functionality of Keyboard B?

2. If so, would all 88 keys of Keyboard A still function? (or just the range corresponding to the 61 keys of Keyboard B)?

3. Again, assuming the answers to #1 and #2 above are YES -- what's the best way to connect the two (USB of A to USB of B, or USB of A to "traditional" MIDI of B)?

Thanks!

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You can connect both to the computer (MIDI - USB cable or just straight USB to computer) and both will be fully functional. If you want to drive the sound engine of one with the keyboard of the other, you can do that perfectly well, using some kind of DAW in the computer. If fact, in most circumstances, the 88 keys of the first controller will extend the range of sounds available on the 61 note keyboard arranger.

I don't think it would be necessary to use traditional midi between the two keyboards, circumventing the computer. But if you were doing gigs, it might be more reliable and simpler - but it depends what you want to do.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Usually, USB sockets on keyboard are USB device sockets (a little square not a rectangle). You can’t connect two of them directly. Then a computer can be handy to relay MIDI events from one keyboard to the other. If you want a direct connection you must use a plain MIDI cable.

If you want a more precise answer, you should tell us which arranger you are talking about. The MIDI standard only tell how too exchange some events. Arranger makers are free to put some restrictions even if I think you will not have trouble with most arrangers. Arranger manuals tell us how they respond to MIDI events. For example, on the PA4X, a global channel seems to be handy to have a splitted keyboard with chord recognition below the split point.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
OK, To be more specific ---

What I was wondering was whether I could use a Dexibell P3 (Keyboard A) to control a Yamaha PSR-s775 (Keyboard B) - preferably without adding a computer into the mix. (FWIW, the Dexibell's keyboard is much nicer than the PSR's.)

If so, what kind of cable would I need?

Thanks!

Bert
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You won’t connect both devices by USB directly (two USB devices socket, no USB host socket excepted for the USB drive). Then MIDI cables.

The PSR S775 has multiple MIDI modes. I hope/expect some act like the PA4X global channel (control the arranger like its integrated keyboard, with a split point), but the manual is less precise about it. Perhaps a PSR owner will point the right mode.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/18/19 05:24 PM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
You won’t connect both devices by USB directly (two USB devices socket, no USB host socket excepted for the USB drive). Then MIDI cables.

The PSR S775 has multiple MIDI modes. I hope/expect some act like the PA4X global channel (control the arranger like its integrated keyboard, with a split point), but the manual is less precise about it. Perhaps a PSR owner will point the right mode.

I'm not very "MIDI literate" other than connecting a keyboard to a PC, so please forgive me but I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you suggesting that this can be done without a computer my using some sort of USB to "traditional" MIDI cable? (I don't know one MIDI mode or channel from another......)

Thanks.

Bert
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You have on the PSR some MIDI sockets (DIN5). Use them on instead of USB. I suppose the Dexibell have some too.

This can be done with no computer.

The PSR have some MIDI settings, you may have to select the right one for your needs.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If both keyboards have MIDI jacks (not the single USB-to-host jack ... but dual MIDI jacks marked input and output) then you can connect the MIDI output of one keyboard to the MIDI input of the other.

But if you have only USB-to-host ports you'll have to use a computer.

Anyway ... I don't understand your original premise. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If both keyboards have MIDI jacks (not the single USB-to-host jack ... but dual MIDI jacks marked input and output) then you can connect the MIDI output of one keyboard to the MIDI input of the other.

But if you have only USB-to-host ports you'll have to use a computer.

Anyway ... I don't understand your original premise. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

What I'm thinking of doing (if it's possible) is to use the voices, styles etc of Keyboard B (Yamaha PSR s775) with Keyboard A (Dexibell P3). The Dexibell has a MUCH better keyboard of the two, but only has USB-to-host port. The Yamaha has poor keyboard action, but has USB to Host and traditional MIDI sockets (but it's an arranger with excellent voices and styles).

If this can work without a computer, I might try it. The idea is only a gleam in my eye at this point.

I hope that explains my crazy idea better.

Bert
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
With a computer, it's easy - just route both keyboards in via midi-usb and control the data flows on the computer.

Without a computer, just using midi cables you could also do what you described above - playing the sounds of one keyboard with the keyboard control of the other. In fact, that was the most obvious early use of midi back in the early 80s. But you can't do that because only one of your keyboards has midi sockets.

There is a fairly obscure and expensive way to do it without going through a computer and it is this piece of equipment:
https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

I cannot vouch for it as I've never used it or anything like it, but it should do the job of making both your keyboards midi functional in the traditional way.

But wouldn't it be easier and possibly cheaper just to use a computer? Any old computer should do for midi signal processing.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
There are some small boxes that connect to USB device only keyboards (like Dexibell as described):
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No idea how well they work though. Others may have reallife experience with one or these.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
N
newbert Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by toddy
With a computer, it's easy - just route both keyboards in via midi-usb and control the data flows on the computer.

Without a computer, just using midi cables you could also do what you described above - playing the sounds of one keyboard with the keyboard control of the other. In fact, that was the most obvious early use of midi back in the early 80s. But you can't do that because only one of your keyboards has midi sockets. ......

Thanks! That clears things up for me.

Bert
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, I haven’t checked the Dexibell which has no MIDI (DIN5) socket, then one of the adapter proposed by EVC2017 is mandatory. Usual MIDI to USB adapter will only work with a PC.

It will works only if the Dexibell doesn’t need specific drivers. You can’t install any on the adapter.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Wait a second here. When I first read what the OP asked for I was wondering specifically whether one of the DPs was a Dexibell.

Don't they have a specific feature that allows the USB port to function as a host, meaning no computer in the middle required to control other usb-midi instruments?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Usually, USB host port on a digital piano is made to connect a USB drive. On the top of the Dexibell USB host socket, it is written Memory. Then I don’t expect it to work as a MIDI over USB port. (But I have already heard of such thing possible on some DP even if it is not specified nor documented. It might be possible).

Even if this port can exchange MIDI events, the PSR needs a Yamaha driver you won’t be able to install on the Dexibell. Then we must use MIDI (DIN5) on the PSR and a MIDI to USB in order to connect to the Dexibell.

Usual MIDI to USB adapter are designed to connect a USB host (computer or the “Memory” port of the Dexibell if it happens to work). The one pointed by EVC2017 are designed to connect a USB device (the “computer” port of the Dexibell since the adapter act as a computer).

No, the USB-to-host port is meant to connect to a PC. This is a square USB "B" socket on the piano.
The USB-to-device port is meant for a thumb drive or similar device. This is a rectangular USB "A" socket on the piano.
Usually, USB host port on a digital piano is made to connect a USB drive.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I mean USB host (A rectangle socket which act as a host), not USB-to-host (A square socket which act as a device and is made to connect to an host).

Note, the Kenton adapter is named MIDI USB host (it is a MIDI USB-to-device). The Cerebel USB socket is named USB host too.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/19/19 07:06 AM.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Don't they [Dexibell] have a specific feature that allows the USB port to function as a host, meaning no computer in the middle required to control other usb-midi instruments?

Yes, it was added to all models with a recent software update.

And modern Yamaha keyboards might be "USB class compliant", so no drivers needed.

("Might". I didn't check.)

In that case a USB cable between those two keyboards would indeed work.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Dexibell doesn't really say much about it, but I would check the various AquaViva 4.0 videos to see where they highlight this capability of the new OS.

On the spec page for the P3, it does list USB-to-Device as usable for "memory and MIDI" though that's admittedly pretty vague (presumably you can save and load MIDI performances from a USB stick).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
“Memory and MIDI” seems Ok... but with a USB Class Compliant device. I didn’t know about the Class Compliance of new Yamaha. They stil propose a Yamaha driver. See https://europe.yamaha.com/en/produc...ger_workstations/psr-s775/downloads.html

A compliancy would be a good news, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/19/19 02:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission